Fuel EXe Official Trek Fuel EXe Megathread!

Jujujuice

Jul 14, 2022
NZ
Hope they fix it quick for you, i was told if something like this happend they would likely replace the bike if it could not be fixed quickly.

I guess this is an early adopter risk for us.
Yup my LBS have said Trek have not really been open to what is going on with the bike and have said they want to take the components apart from the bike. However I have told them I am very reluctant given that I have only used it a couple of times and also with the money spent etc.

I have uploaded a video with the warning error on the TQ screen which has now made the fuel exe useless. My LBS has said they have run out of options to fix it however they need to wait for Trek to give them the go ahead to replace it.

This is the link to the warning error below

Dave_B

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
That’s worrying.

what was the bike like to ride when it was working? Did it climb well?

Jujujuice

Jul 14, 2022
NZ
That’s worrying.

what was the bike like to ride when it was working? Did it climb well?
At times it felt good to climb, however, there was this intermittent problem of cutting out which I did not realise until I looked at the videos. Subsequently, after a few rides, the warning error showed up and it stopped working so I cannot comment. I guess the most worrying aspect for me was the customer support from Trek Aus/NZ where they seemed annoyed at me for calling them about the error.

On a positive note, my wife's fuel exe is working fine and she is enjoying it.

Dave_B

Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
Hopefully Trek will give you a new bike!
I have an order down for the 9.8XT but I’m starting to have second thoughts…..
I have a regional Trek dealer 45 minutes away, but first adopter issues could be a real pain with this new motor…..

flash

Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
At times it felt good to climb, however, there was this intermittent problem of cutting out which I did not realise until I looked at the videos. Subsequently, after a few rides, the warning error showed up and it stopped working so I cannot comment. I guess the most worrying aspect for me was the customer support from Trek Aus/NZ where they seemed annoyed at me for calling them about the error.

On a positive note, my wife's fuel exe is working fine and she is enjoying it.

It'll be a new motor. I get how you feel.

My new Forestal Siryon Diode with 15kms on it has had a motor failure. It's a PITA but also a good test of customer service. For my bike I emailed Pushy's last night. I got a response this morning. Dropped it to the allocated bike shop this afternoon (1 hour each way but fine as it's an online purchase). Pushy's do have a replacement motor in stock (for a bike they started selling a month ago) and on its way to the store and have raised an elevated ticket for me and also with Forestal in Andorra.

If I'm lucky I'll have the bike by the weekend. Otherwise I'm away for a week so I'll wait till I get back. I'm also lucky I have another bike to rride as my Levo Pro turned up the same day as the Forestal, so it's still new bike time! :)

Shit happens and it'll be forgotten once the bike is fixed and back home. But good service is invaluable. I've had it from Pushy's before, which is why I like shopping with them. Mind you is should be for a AUD23K bike!!

Gordon

Loamranger

Dec 10, 2019
U.K.
Unfortunately after less than 30 days of owning the trek fuel exe 9.8xt, it has broken down with a speed sensor alert on the TQ screen after the power kept cutting off to 0w. My LBS has replaced the speed sensor but has said its still not working but then used that same speed sensor on a different fuel exe and it was working so seems like something is inherently wrong with my trek fuel exe.

Pretty frustrating experience after spending so much on a bike. LBS said they will talk to Trek to try and get them to replace the fuel exe as they aren't sure what's wrong with the bike so fingers crossed.
Sorry to hear. Hope you can get it sorted quickly. Keep us informed.

Loamranger

Dec 10, 2019
U.K.
Hopefully Trek will give you a new bike!
I have an order down for the 9.8XT but I’m starting to have second thoughts…..
I have a regional Trek dealer 45 minutes away, but first adopter issues could be a real pain with this new motor…..
What’s Trek U.K. like for customer service, any experience?

Mitch@Trek

Official Trek
TREK
Dec 30, 2020
Waterloo, WI
Yup my LBS have said Trek have not really been open to what is going on with the bike and have said they want to take the components apart from the bike. However I have told them I am very reluctant given that I have only used it a couple of times and also with the money spent etc.

I have uploaded a video with the warning error on the TQ screen which has now made the fuel exe useless. My LBS has said they have run out of options to fix it however they need to wait for Trek to give them the go ahead to replace it.

This is the link to the warning error below

Hey there, responded to your Reddit post and your DM to us on socials too - but just to cover my bases, I wanted to share here too!

There is a service bulletin for a firmware update that TQ launched that I would recommend having your retailer check for which addressed an electromagnetic issue - this was early so most bikes should already have it before reaching customers, but just in case, have your retailer check for that. In addition to the speed sensor, did your retailer also replace the magnet? If not, we or TQ can certainly help there. If your retailer submitted a warranty claim, could you provide the serial number of your bike or the claim number to me in a DM (noticed you're too new to DM me, but we're connected via Instagram)?

Last edited:

jwrx

Jul 22, 2018
Malaysia
Hey there, responded to your Reddit post and your DM to us on socials too - but just to cover my bases, I wanted to share here too!

There is a service bulletin for a firmware update that TQ launched that I would recommend having your retailer check for which addressed an electromagnetic issue - this was early so most bikes should already have it before reaching customers, but just in case, have your retailer check for that. In addition to the speed sensor, did your retailer also replace the magnet? If not, we or TQ can certainly help there. If your retailer submitted a warranty claim, could you provide the serial number of your bike or the claim number to me in a DM (noticed you're too new to DM me, but we're connected via Instagram)?

this is very assuring for a soon to be first time trek buyer

Jujujuice

Jul 14, 2022
NZ

Hi Mitch thanks for your reply . Trek advised my dealer that the motor was faulty as when the dealer ran the diagnostics on the motor , lots of error codes came up . My dealer has replaced the motor however the bike is still jerking which was similar to how the bike was when I first received it so I do not know have the confidence to take it back .

Unfortunately I’ve had to reject the bike so now the dealer is talking to trek Australia to see if they can refund me given I’ve only taken it out for a handful of rides.

Moe Ped

Apr 19, 2020
Perth Australia
Hi Mitch thanks for your reply . Trek advised my dealer that the motor was faulty as when the dealer ran the diagnostics on the motor , lots of error codes came up . My dealer has replaced the motor however the bike is still jerking which was similar to how the bike was when I first received it so I do not know have the confidence to take it back .

Unfortunately I’ve had to reject the bike so now the dealer is talking to trek Australia to see if they can refund me given I’ve only taken it out for a handful of rides.

The bike has a 30 day money back gurantee from Trek if bought in Austrlalia?

Jujujuice

Jul 14, 2022
NZ
Hi team, thankfully my local bike store has decided to refund me and swap the bike out for a trek rail 9.8xt.

On a sad note, I finally took my wife's concerns regarding her Trek fuel exe 9.8xt seriously and when she first received it a week ago, she said it was really noisy. I thought it was her mud guard. Today I decided to test out her bike on the road and found the motor is making a growling/rattling noise. We are going to take it back to the local bike store tomorrow to see what can be done. TQ has been helpful advised us the local bike store should swap the motor to stop the rattling noise.

Jujujuice

Jul 14, 2022
NZ
I’m changing my order for either the Rail 9.8XT or Spesh Levo.
Yeah Ive been back to my local bike store a lot of times and its a pretty far drive. My wife works as a doctor and does not really have the flexibility to keep going back to the dealer so it seems like tomorrow I'll be going back again.

Jujujuice

Jul 14, 2022
NZ
I really like the bike so will keep mine if there are issues Trek are a big company they willl sort it out.
My wife really likes her bike. I guess Trek Australia/NZ did not communicate to the bike shop and us with regards to what was going on with the bike but Mitch from Trek US helped sort that out. Now just hoping my wife's bike will be sussed.

Loamranger

Dec 10, 2019
U.K.
I’m changing my order for either the Rail 9.8XT or Spesh Levo.

Have you considered waiting for the new Specialized Levo SL? I think it may be announced soon. Also the Transition with Fazua is due in the spring. Pivot is out this month I believe is another option but probably pricey? My understanding is that there may be others out soon?

Jujujuice

Jul 14, 2022
NZ
My
Be interested to know when Evo gets the 9.8xt's... I'm patiently waiting for mine here in chch
My XL 9.8xt rail is apparently already in the store and they are building it up now . Which size did you get? It should be arriving soon !

Shades

Jul 29, 2020
San Francisco
I'm very interested in this one, but I wonder if I should go for the 9.5, 9.7 or the 9.8 XT. I probably won't switch components after I buy it and I'm a bit of a newbie when it comes to MTB riding. Probably going to be riding mostly fire roads or some easy trails for now (live in the Bay Area). What is the most bang for the buck? Is the 9.5 enough?

levity

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Founding Member
Feb 15, 2018
SoCal
I'm very interested in this one, but I wonder if I should go for the 9.5, 9.7 or the 9.8 XT. I probably won't switch components after I buy it and I'm a bit of a newbie when it comes to MTB riding. Probably going to be riding mostly fire roads or some easy trails for now (live in the Bay Area). What is the most bang for the buck? Is the 9.5 enough?
They should each be fine for you. Get whichever model you can find locally if you want one now or sooner than later. This afternoon I picked up what I believe was the only Large 9.7 in California. Could not find any Large 9.5 or 9.8 models. Good luck and have fun! 👍

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles