Fuel EXe Official Trek Fuel EXe Megathread!

JT7

Sep 3, 2022
Australia
i would press the LBS to make good on it
My 9.8 XT had the alloy cranks (Australia).
I had to get the dealer to put a claim in. I chose to get a $400 refund. I could have waited for the e thirteen cranks or they could get Praxis straight away
Piss pore that they don't let you know, and probably hope you don't notice.

yase

Jul 30, 2022
Perth
My 9.8 XT had the alloy cranks (Australia).
I had to get the dealer to put a claim in. I chose to get a $400 refund. I could have waited for the e thirteen cranks or they could get Praxis straight away
Piss pore that they don't let you know, and probably hope you don't notice.
One positive is that all the upgrades over the 9.7 only set you back $1600 which is pretty good value. My positive is that I get to have 160mm cranks which suits my height and riding style better :) There is always a silver lining.

Reactions: JT7

The Reverend

Aug 13, 2022
Melbourne
9.8 buyers beware! Some of these bikes, mine included, have been fitted with the much lower spec and price alloy cranks in lieu of the carbon cranks listed in the spec sheet. The store was unaware of this and said Trek headquarters stated that there was a long lead time associated with the carbon cranks and they did not want to delay release of the bikes. I can totally understand the reasoning behind this and am pleased my bike was not delayed, however it is pretty piss poor that they did not notify customers of this and proceeded to charge them full price.

I suggest that everyone who has received or is expecting a 9.8 or 9.9 check for this as I have seen pics of other 9.8 bikes with the alloy cranks.

Aside from this I am absolutely loving the bike, perfect in every way and have no regrets switching from my Ibis Ripmo V2.

View attachment 96299
Yep, I got those on my 9.8 but I noticed it and they swapped them over once they had them in stock. Took about a week to get them so no issue really.

R2thek

Apr 10, 2022
Colorado
3 options

1 - request a refund of the price difference and ride the alloy's
2 - wait 6-12 months for stock (lead time unknown)
3 - purchase from a retailer with stock (not many), wait till they arrive, have LBS swap cranks, request full refund for cost of carbon cranks. Probably best to have the LBS agree to this prior to proceeding.

I went with option 3
Trek should send out the carbon crank to replace the alloy crank on bikes that have already been delivered. That is what Orbea did. Oh wait, it’s been six months and still no crank from Orbea.

prolix2

Aug 21, 2022
United States
Looks like maybe $300 difference in price between the carbon and the alloy cranks retail . $300 to save 6/10 of a pound in weight, works out to about $500 a pound.

prolix2

Aug 21, 2022
United States
Incidentally, just loosely looking at the cost difference between aluminum and carbon frames it looks like the cost is about $450 a pound.

BenQ77

Aug 27, 2022
Germany
Hello, does anyone from Germany / Europe already have a Trek Fuel EXe 9.8 XT?

According to my dealer, the 9.8 XT will not be available until spring 2023.

kazowie

Sep 4, 2022
Australia
Two rides in on my stock Fuel EXe 9.8 and this bike is beautiful to ride. I find it lively, quiet and responsive and just fun on trails and jumps. I had borrowed a FP Specialized Levo and had a Rail on order when the Fuel EXe became available. Trek were great, switching my order over and I have absolutely no regrets.

One change I’d like to make is the power limit imposed when the battery reaches 10%. I don’t mind this triggering, but I should be able to overrule it. I couldn’t find a way to do it on the bike or the app. Does anyone know if this can be done?

I also have the alloy crank arms instead of carbon and wasn’t informed. Thanks for the earlier post on this and I’ll speak to the Trek store and report back the response.

socal_rider

Jun 6, 2021
Temecula, CA
Has anyone confirmed a 26 oz / 750 mL water bottle fits in a size Large or smaller frame? I can do most of my non-eMTB 2-3 hr rides on that. A 22 oz / 650 mL bottle is not quite enough in the summer.

R2thek

Apr 10, 2022
Colorado
Has anyone confirmed a 26 oz / 750 mL water bottle fits in a size Large or smaller frame? I can do most of my non-eMTB 2-3 hr rides on that. A 22 oz / 650 mL bottle is not quite enough in the summer.
The issue is more that on very long rides when you need more water you might also need the range extender. Another first world problem.

DugT

Sep 4, 2022
Truckee, CA
Hi Ben

Thanks for that. On a positive note, the LBS has just emailed my wife saying she will receive a new 9.8 tomorrow so she is really excited and over the moon. Hoping her bike was just a lemon! Will update with her new bike.

She really loves her exe and other than the issues, it rides like a normal bike and is agile.

How is the new Fuel EXe working? Did you ever hear what the problem was with the first three motors? I've ordered a 9.8XT and want to know, "Should I stay or should I go".

Last edited:

Chicane

Nov 11, 2020
SoCal
How is the new Fluid EXe working? Did you ever hear what the problem was with the first three motors? I've ordered a 9.8XT and want to know, "Should I stay or should I go".
So far, the motor issues appear to be related to the Australian region from what I've read.

DugT

Sep 4, 2022
Truckee, CA
Grinder/growler noise from TQ motor on brand new EXe 9.8 XT (US purchase). Other new bike in shop does not make this noise.
LBS is in touch with Trek, no word back yet after a couple of weeks.

Thanks for the update about Treks lack of an update. Did you or the bike shop take the chain off of the chainwheel and spin the crank to see if the noise continues?

Zed

Feb 26, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
Seems like key is getting a decent dealer. Same policy with any eMTB purchase I think, especially anything Specialized :)

I skipped the local little shops and went across town to a large Trek-branded dealer because of this. They're busy, they sell lots of bikes, and they're ambassadors for Trek.

Hopefully it pays off if I do get any issues.

As per posts in this thread people waiting weeks for answer isn't acceptable, I'd be going mental after dropping that sort of cash. I have to think it comes down to the LBS not getting after it?

I don't mind teething issues, but get it fixed ffs.

levity

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Founding Member
Feb 15, 2018
SoCal
I use this 26 oz. bottle on my Large Fuel EXe. Mrs levity's Small will only accept a 20 oz. bottle.
As mentioned by @R2thek longer summer rides require a fanny or backpack with bottles or a bladder.

Fuel EXe 26 oz bottle.jpg

Last edited:

DugT

Sep 4, 2022
Truckee, CA
......also can you get trek to clarify re the TQ motor spec
Operating temperature - -5 °C to +40 °C / 23 °F to 104 °F
Storage temperature - 0 °C to +40 °C / -4 °F to 104 °F
i’d say that in a bad winter or if the bike was in an unheated shed/car that those could be exceeded in the uk,

ah hang on in the same manual, a bit further down
“Observe the permissible operating temperature (-10 °C to +40 °C / 14 °F to 104 °F) and storage temperature (-20 °C to +60 °C / -4 °F to 140 °F) during transport and storage.”.......

It is possible that the specs above are because of the battery. LiPo batteries have exotic chemicals that can become unstable, catch fire and explode or at least fail. Severe cold could cause some of the chemicals to freeze, expand and crack the housing or separate from each other. Too much heat can also cause the batteries to catch fire and even explode. This has happened to notebook computers and phones while charging when the technology was new. A punctured LiPo battery can catch fire and explode. Bike batteries are much bigger and subjected to much harsher conditions than notebook batteries. One day I saw two Priuses totally engulfed in flames just a few miles apart.

Jujujuice

Jul 14, 2022
NZ
How is the new Fuel EXe working? Did you ever hear what the problem was with the first three motors? I've ordered a 9.8XT and want to know, "Should I stay or should I go".

Hey mate, my wife is still waiting for the new fuel exe. The LBS wants to just test the new fuel exe to make sure it is working well etc first so hopefully will get it this week.

With the last three motors etc, my LBS could not find out what was wrong and sent the first one back to TQ. They basically greased everything up etc and tested everything but still could not find the source of the noisy motor. It seems like for the last three motors, it was becoming noisy and the bike started jerking etc after the 50km mark and becoming progressively worse with every ride. Fingers crossed my wife gets her fuel exe soon and will post an update.

Jujujuice

Jul 14, 2022
NZ
Grinder/growler noise from TQ motor on brand new EXe 9.8 XT (US purchase). Other new bike in shop does not make this noise.
Hey mate sorry to hear that. Hopefully they will update you soon. My LBS were updating us every couple of days and replacing the motor every week for the last 3 to 4 weeks before giving us a new bike.

Zed

Feb 26, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
So far it's been all 9.8xt's with the dodgy motors? I have one coming my way and praying it rides fine!
I really hope not lol, I just upped my order from 9.7 to 9.8XT after getting an unexpectedly good bonus from work, and realising just how much you get for that $2k AUD!

DugT

Sep 4, 2022
Truckee, CA
Hey mate, my wife is still waiting for the new fuel exe. The LBS wants to just test the new fuel exe to make sure it is working well etc first so hopefully will get it this week.

With the last three motors etc, my LBS could not find out what was wrong and sent the first one back to TQ. They basically greased everything up etc and tested everything but still could not find the source of the noisy motor. It seems like for the last three motors, it was becoming noisy and the bike started jerking etc after the 50km mark and becoming progressively worse with every ride. Fingers crossed my wife gets her fuel exe soon and will post an update.

I would think TQ would try to track down the source of the noise before they greased anything. That way they can find the noise, which should be their first priority! Once they find the source of the noise, they would check to see what is causing the noise: lack of grease, bad materials, bad machining ...etc. I suspect that you are not getting accurate info from TG ---> Trek ---> LBS--->. The important thing is they solve the problem but this isn't helping their credibility.

I'm disappointed in their weak and implausible response but I appreciate your relaying the info!

Last edited:

JP-NZ

E*POWAH Elite
Feb 17, 2022
Christchurch - New Zealand
I really hope not lol, I just upped my order from 9.7 to 9.8XT after getting an unexpectedly good bonus from work, and realising just how much you get for that $2k AUD!

Yeah, the carbon wheels alone are almost worth the $$ in the 9.8, let alone the carbon bars, better dropper, much better brakes and full XT drivetrain.

BenQ77

Aug 27, 2022
Germany

That doesn’t sound good. I don't think it's unique to the 9.8 XT models either, as they all have the same engine.

In the following YouTube test, the engine doesn't sound good either. You can hear a clicking noise with every step.

Maybe Mitch@Trek can give us an update?
More and more problems are popping up on the forums.

Jujujuice

Jul 14, 2022
NZ
I would think TQ would try to track down the source of the noise before they greased anything. That way they can find the noise, which should be their first priority! Once they find the source of the noise, they would check to see what is causing the noise: lack of grease, bad materials, bad machining ...etc. I suspect that you are not getting accurate info from TG ---> Trek ---> LBS--->. The important thing is they solve the problem but this isn't helping their credibility.

I'm disappointed in their weak and implausible response but I appreciate your relaying the info!

Yeah trek and my LBS thought it was the motor causing the grinding noise but after three faulty motors , it seemed they gave up on the bike. In addition, it’s unlikely for all three motors to be faulty .

Just hoping for my wife to receive a proper working trek exe soon as it’s been over a month now with all the ongoing issues . Understand it’s a new bike and there’s teething issues but still unfortunate she is left without a bike .

Kepler

Sep 8, 2019
Australia
My bike has just had its first complementary service after 200km riding. I am loving the bike and is exactly what I was looking for. (mine is a 9.7 but with a 160mm Fox 36 and AXS derailleur and shifter added). The bike did have a creak and ticking noise coming from the bottom bracket/motor under load. Apparently there is a factory bulletin on this issue and is rectified by re torqueing the motor mount bolts in a certain order and to a new spec. A minor issue and my bottom bracket/motor is dead quiet again.

Last edited:

Jujujuice

Jul 14, 2022
NZ
That doesn’t sound good. I don't think it's unique to the 9.8 XT models either, as they all have the same engine.

In the following YouTube test, the engine doesn't sound good either. You can hear a clicking noise with every step.

Maybe Mitch@Trek can give us an update?
More and more problems are popping up on the forums.

Hi Ben just posted a video of my wife riding a track with the grinding noise present. It was pretty distracting for her. Enjoy!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles