Levo Gen 3 Official Specialized Gen 3 2022 Levo Megathread!

Andeh

May 30, 2023
Half Moon Bay, CA
For those of you who've gone through 1 or more warranty motor replacements, what was the total turn around time at your local shop? I'm in for my first one, it's been over 2 weeks, and I'm starting to get annoyed. When I talked to the shop last week they said that Spec had approved the replacement and were sending a motor, but that they hadn't received it yet. The shop is a Specialized flagship store (owned by them with a different name), so it seems a bit absurd that they don't keep 1 or 2 motors available for warranties.

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Fort William
For those of you who've gone through 1 or more warranty motor replacements, what was the total turn around time at your local shop? I'm in for my first one, it's been over 2 weeks, and I'm starting to get annoyed. When I talked to the shop last week they said that Spec had approved the replacement and were sending a motor, but that they hadn't received it yet. The shop is a Specialized flagship store (owned by them with a different name), so it seems a bit absurd that they don't keep 1 or 2 motors available for warranties.
I haven’t had any motor issues yet but my mate had his replaced a few months ago. He dropped the bike off in the morning and picked it up that afternoon on his way home from work. The shop already had the motor in stock, they said they try to keep 2 on the shelves so they can give a quick turnaround. If they didn’t have the motor it would take them a day to get one delivered.

IcePaws

Sep 7, 2023
UK
Hope question….
I have a 2022 Levo alloy comp with the standard x fusion manic dropper lever.

What matchmaker clamp would I need to order to attach to Hope tech 4 levers?

Thanks in advance

beutelfuchs

Aug 11, 2019
Barcelona
I just run out of my 2y guarantee and luckly got a motor replacement few days before.
As I got the Gen3 right after release I am probably on the forefront of this.
But maybe there are already some who had an engine failure after being out of guarantee.
What did you do?

• Bikeshop replaced it anyways without costs?
  • Bikeshop replaced it on your budget. How much was that for you?
  • You gave the motor to a 3rd party repair shop. How much was that and how did it work out?
  • Something else?

Dave_B

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
Probably already been asked, but how do I get battery % on my Garmin Epix? My TCU is the simple blue light one.

iXi

E*POWAH Master
Feb 17, 2019
Brisbane
Probably already been asked, but how do I get battery % on my Garmin Epix? My TCU is the simple blue light one.
Go into your watch and choose add new sensor, make sure bike is switched on, scan for new sensors and it should pick up the power meter etc.

Then set up a profile, mine is called ebike. When choosing data fields, select gears then scroll down to ebike battery. That's it

EEEliminator

Dec 22, 2023
Bay Area, CA
Just replaced rotors, 220/200 centerline with same, and decided to give MTX Gold pads a try.

How do you like the MTX Gold pads? I have the SRAM HS2 220mm front and back with the factory SRAM pads and they still get noisy when hot. I'm thinking of switching over to Magura MT7s and floating rotors, that's what I have on my Enduro and it works great, but I already upgraded to RSC master cylinders with Cascade swing links so would like to make the Codes work...

Stianthr

Jan 2, 2024
Norway
Hi!

Need to remove the spider on my comp carbon, does anybody know for sure if the Park tool BBT-18 will fit the gen 3 lockring / inside the spider? Thanks

Last edited:

Andeh

May 30, 2023
Half Moon Bay, CA
Hi!

Need to remove the spider on my comp carbon, does anybody know for sure if the Park tool BBT-18 will fit the gen 3 lockring / inside the spider? Thanks
Yes, BBT-18 is the one. Good luck getting that fucker off. The idiots who assembled mine at the factory used a gazillion N-M of torque. I couldn't get it off - shop had to use a breaker bar to do it.

Stianthr

Jan 2, 2024
Norway
Yes, BBT-18 is the one. Good luck getting that fucker off. The idiots who assembled mine at the factory used a gazillion N-M of torque. I couldn't get it off - shop had to use a breaker bar to do it.
Perfect👌 Hopefully mine is looser from The factory🤞🏻

mike172

May 12, 2021
Surrey
Hi did you manage to resolve this as I have a carbon comp which feels the same as you describe, sloppy loose wobbly rear end cant see any play in any of the bearings.

Jason

I never resolved it no. It annoyed me so much I barely ride the Levo now since about 6 months when I got an Enduro. Fact, I've kinda gone off e bikes since owning the Enduro.

I'm currently replacing all bearings on the levo as i write this. The cascade linkage has slipped a bearing and the big bearings near the motor and the 4 bearings at the end of the seat and chain stays were toast. Haven't ridden yet so no idea if it fixes it.

I spent a lot of time inspecting the chain stay and couldn't see a crack although I may have another look since Veli-Matti mentioned the crack before the bike goes back together.

My chain stay arms do flex slightly if you push them together but can't work out if that's normal. I didn't press too hard as I didn't want to crack them. But they definitely weren't solid.

Once I've managed to ride it I'll come back and update.

Edit..... yeah its looking pretty cracked. FWIW it flexes only on the right hand/derailleur side. The other side is pretty solid.

20240103_173734.jpg 20240103_173123.jpg 20240103_172744.jpg 20240103_173734.jpg

Last edited:

Jason1

Jul 18, 2019
UK
I never resolved it no. It annoyed me so much I barely ride the Levo now since about 6 months when I got an Enduro. Fact, I've kinda gone off e bikes since owning the Enduro.

I'm currently replacing all bearings on the levo as i write this. The cascade linkage has slipped a bearing and the big bearings near the motor and the 4 bearings at the end of the seat and chain stays were toast. Haven't ridden yet so no idea if it fixes it.

I spent a lot of time inspecting the chain stay and couldn't see a crack although I may have another look since Veli-Matti mentioned the crack before the bike goes back together.

My chain stay arms do flex slightly if you push them together but can't work out if that's normal. I didn't press too hard as I didn't want to crack them. But they definitely weren't solid.

Once I've managed to ride it I'll come back and update.

Edit..... yeah its looking pretty cracked. FWIW it flexes only on the right hand/derailleur side. The other side is pretty solid.

View attachment 131762 View attachment 131764 View attachment 131765 View attachment 131766
Thats quite bad pal surely that’s under warranty ? Was it making any creaking noises ?
My Levo was In for a new drive chain but forgot to ask them to take a look to see if they can see anything 🙈 I’ll get it on the stand tomorrow to see if I can see anything.

mike172

May 12, 2021
Surrey
Thats quite bad pal surely that’s under warranty ? Was it making any creaking noises ?
My Levo was In for a new drive chain but forgot to ask them to take a look to see if they can see anything 🙈 I’ll get it on the stand tomorrow to see if I can see anything.

Hope so, I got the occasional cracking noise but not very often, assumed it was the derailleur.

Thomas46

Oct 7, 2021
Vienna
I had two replacements and the shop had to order the motor, delivery time was a week.

h3ld

Aug 30, 2020
Heidelberg
I was running 5 mm brake hoses instead of 6 mm goodridge hoses in my Levo. A friend wonders if he could use the 6 mm hoses in his alloy Levo. Has anyone experience with this?

Andeh

May 30, 2023
Half Moon Bay, CA
Not sure about exact diameters, but with Hayes kevlar hoses (thicker than normal) I had to pull out the plastic guide tubes and just run the hoses through without. I added a foam sleeve after I got it into the main frame to help keep it quiet.

Brianjonesphoto

Patreon
Oct 8, 2018
Seattle USA
22 Levo Firmware question. Mission control is telling me there is a firmware update that is a shop install. It won’t tell me what my current version is or what the updated version is. I have no idea how long this firmware has been out. I usually use BLEvo. I did get the updated battery firmware with the 80% charge feature. Is this mystery update worth doing? Thanks.

brigcampbell

May 30, 2022
SoCal
22 Levo Firmware question. Mission control is telling me there is a firmware update that is a shop install. It won’t tell me what my current version is or what the updated version is. I have no idea how long this firmware has been out. I usually use BLEvo. I did get the updated battery firmware with the 80% charge feature. Is this mystery update worth doing? Thanks.
It's probably a bug...

If you reinstall MC it'll go away.

There are updates that require a visit but I've had two false updates over the last 18 months.

Stianthr

Jan 2, 2024
Norway
Hi guys!

Need to remove The spider off my gen 3, I have removed the lock ring, to protect the axle when using the puller I originally bought a 32mm socket, but I'm pretty sure that is just resting on a part of the spider so it won’t move when tightened 🤷🏻‍♂️ Is where I’ve marked red in the image below where the socket need to rest when using the puller? (The blue is where the 32mm socket would sit for reference)

Thanks

IMG_9370.jpeg

ruppia

Dec 14, 2020
Italy
Hi guys!

Need to remove The spider off my gen 3, I have removed the lock ring, to protect the axle when using the puller I originally bought a 32mm socket, but I'm pretty sure that is just resting on a part of the spider so it won’t move when tightened 🤷🏻‍♂️ Is where I’ve marked red in the image below where the socket need to rest when using the puller? (The blue is where the 32mm socket would sit for reference)

Thanks

View attachment 132193
Hope this can help you:

Attachments

• 2022 LEVO - SCHEMATICS - SMALL PARTS_10_01_2024 07_04_11_1619.pdf
    162.7 KB · Views: 154

Andeh

May 30, 2023
Half Moon Bay, CA
Well this is lovely. The new motor I got makes a sort of gritty dirty drivetrain sound whenever there's a reasonable amount of torque applied and the motor is on. Silent when the motor is off. <1 month old, and I've spent the last week or so trying to troubleshoot my T-Type because I thought it was something to do with that.

nathan

May 9, 2020
Reno, Nevada
Hey guys. My Gen 1 Levo was stolen. I have an extra Gen 1 battery left over. I am buying a Gen 3 Levo Pro. Can the Gen 1 battery be retrofitted to work on the Gen 3? Thank you.

kawamaha

Apr 1, 2020
Monaco
Hey guys. My Gen 1 Levo was stolen. I have an extra Gen 1 battery left over. I am buying a Gen 3 Levo Pro. Can the Gen 1 battery be retrofitted to work on the Gen 3? Thank you.
I would say NO
The TCU of the GEN1 is in the battery, TCU of GEN2 and GEN3 is not in the battery - completely different system...

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles