Levo Gen 3 Official Specialized Gen 3 2022 Levo Megathread!

Darkyhs

Oct 25, 2020
Freiburg, Germany
Check this out guys! Our prayers have been answered <3 I will order one after finishing up moving to our new house :) If someone gets it in the meantime, please do a review :)

Last edited:

Jamo

Jul 25, 2020
Fife
Check this out guys! Our prayers have been answered <3 I will order one after finishing up moving to our new house :) If someone gets it in the meantime, please do a review :)

Noticed this a few days back on their insta page. Interestingly they don't recommend using the link with a coil.

73747A9A-6296-40B5-A4D2-6DF14611DF04.png

E5B45D2D-7934-408C-8920-72F7E26AD888.png

036BD4C9-25AD-4635-BA32-07C44A82877B.png

Repsol

Dec 25, 2021
Yorkshire
Yes and no. We can’t fix the app but we can get rid of the error message by force closing it with the app open and connected to the bike and then reopening the app and connecting again.

To actually fix the app requires whatever part of the code is wrong to be corrected by the developers and an updated app to be released on the App Store/Play Store which has not happened yet.

Bit of an update, the bike has gone back and checked. It had already been updated with the latest firmware as suspected, they reprogrammed it and after speaking with Specialized UK also charged the mastermind tcu as they think this may be the cause. Specialized UK are saying their not aware of any issues surrounding this app whatsoever, if you don't mind me asking Stompweaver, how did you know about this and who told you as Specialized would like to know so that they can speak with this person to get more information. Does this only occur with iPhones as mine is Android?

Stompweaver

Jan 20, 2018
Stafford
@Repsol evening mate, thanks for the update. Glad you got the bike sorted. I have an iPhone so can only speak for iOS.

The acknowledgment of the issue came from @Specialized Rider Care (who officially represent the company) on here in the Beta testers forum. I am surprised that Specialized IK have not heard of this issue. It is very common and as previously stated numerous owners on here and people I know directly have had it. Happy if you want to point them in my direction so I can assist.

Most importantly, go have a ride and enjoy your bike. :)

mike172

May 12, 2021
Surrey
Re the cascade I dunno if I want to change the rear end of the levo I quite like what it does in terms of leverage

When it's working I mean.

Have one on my stumpjper and it changed the way it rides quite notably

Edit.

Ordered one. F it.

Last edited:

Repsol

Dec 25, 2021
Yorkshire
@Repsol evening mate, thanks for the update. Glad you got the bike sorted. I have an iPhone so can only speak for iOS.

The acknowledgment of the issue came from @Specialized Rider Care (who officially represent the company) on here in the Beta testers forum. I am surprised that Specialized IK have not heard of this issue. It is very common and as previously stated numerous owners on here and people I know directly have had it. Happy if you want to point them in my direction so I can assist.

Most importantly, go have a ride and enjoy your bike. :)

Cheers pal for this I'll pass it onto them, the bikes still with them so fingers crossed. Got out on it yesterday and the first thing I noticed compared to my rockhopper bafang conversion was the handling. The trail was thick of mud some of which was about a 9inch deep, the bike just tracked through it, and rode so smooth over obstacles and rocks. Obviously no where near the power of the bbshd and range but managed to get 57 mile out of it with a mixture of eco and trail. Power wise I recon on turbo its simular to level assist 5 on the bbshd. What spoils it is the bloody cut off at 16mph as despite what specs says, there's definitely a drag that can be felt when the motor cuts out.

Darkyhs

Oct 25, 2020
Freiburg, Germany
Re the cascade I dunno if I want to change the rear end of the levo I quite like what it does in terms of leverage

When it's working I mean.

Have one on my stumpjper and it changed the way it rides quite notably

Edit.

Ordered one. F it.
Let us know when it arrives, and how it rides :D I need to convince the wife that I need it, especially as we need a new fridge and basically everything as well :D

Stompweaver

Jan 20, 2018
Stafford
Cheers pal for this I'll pass it onto them, the bikes still with them so fingers crossed. Got out on it yesterday and the first thing I noticed compared to my rockhopper bafang conversion was the handling. The trail was thick of mud some of which was about a 9inch deep, the bike just tracked through it, and rode so smooth over obstacles and rocks. Obviously no where near the power of the bbshd and range but managed to get 57 mile out of it with a mixture of eco and trail. Power wise I recon on turbo its simular to level assist 5 on the bbshd. What spoils it is the bloody cut off at 16mph as despite what specs says, there's definitely a drag that can be felt when the motor cuts out.
I’m sure it’ll be fine. They’ll just force close the app and give it back to you! ;)
You’ll notice a massive difference in performance to your old bike, especially once the trails begin to dry out. It’s going to a million times better to ride.
The speed limiter cut isn’t as bad as it was on the older generations but there’s still drag above the limit. Plus you have to actually put all your own effort in with zero assistance which amplifies the sudden feeling of hitting a brick wall!
Hope you get it back soon and give it a proper test.

Repsol

Dec 25, 2021
Yorkshire
I’m sure it’ll be fine. They’ll just force close the app and give it back to you! ;)
You’ll notice a massive difference in performance to your old bike, especially once the trails begin to dry out. It’s going to a million times better to ride.
The speed limiter cut isn’t as bad as it was on the older generations but there’s still drag above the limit. Plus you have to actually put all your own effort in with zero assistance which amplifies the sudden feeling of hitting a brick wall!
Hope you get it back soon and give it a proper test.

Well got the bike back and all is well. They checked and scanned everything both the dealer, spesh UK and also Switzerland. Its not 100% certain but it may have been the TCU internal battery charge level, that was taken off and charged for 16hrs. All the updates were already on the bike but re updated.
Told them about what's been said on this forum regarding the app, nobody at spesh both here and Switzerland are aware of any issues whatsoever surrounding the app, the only issue was approximately 5 to 6 years ago where it was related to the 2.1 motor and was reducing speed.
Strangely also, no one at all at spesh, knows of any member of staff who is representing specilized on this forum.

Talk about baptism of fire, anyway the bike is back and I'm off out for a blast regardless of the weather. Thanks to all who was able to shed some light on this app thing, maybe if it happens to you try charging the mastermind TCU, or on the older version, change the battery as it may of been this. All who worked on it at the store checked it on their phones, some of which were Android and I phone, none were registering the app warning AFTER the TCU had been charged.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Strangely also, no one at all at spesh, knows of any member of staff who is representing specilized on this forum.
I met with Specialized UK and we set up the Rider Care account :) It’s legit! @Specialized Rider Care are Specialized.

Maybe not everyone is aware at Specialized. I’m sure they’re a busy company and we’re a small (but mighty 💪) part of the ebike world.

D@x

Nov 2, 2021
Tucson, az

Anyone used this rotor for their gen 3? Swapped to ck hub with centerlock and can't find a spez centerlock magnry. Tried gluing a magnrt but cant seem line it up properly.

Stompweaver

Jan 20, 2018
Stafford
@Repsol pleased you got your bike finally sorted out. Interesting that it could have been the TCU internal battery charge state. I don’t think that has been suggested before.

As @Rob Rides EMTB stated the Beta test is a legit fully Specialized run test program which has fifty riders testing new firmware before it’s released to the public. Specialized are huge so I guess the software people are different department to the bike guys or maybe even in a different country!

Cold but dry today. Not bad weather for a ride. ✊

Hob Nob

Jun 4, 2020
UK
Noticed this a few days back on their insta page. Interestingly they don't recommend using the link with a coil.

View attachment 79336
View attachment 79337
View attachment 79338
Leverage ratio is already crazy high on the stock bike/stock link, which is why air pressures in the shocks & spring weights are so high.

Increasing travel only increases the leverage ratio further, so even more air pressure/spring weight. The don't recommend coils because you would have to have ridiculous spring weights to make it work & why they are limiting it to under 90kg weight on air shocks too, as you will be on the max air pressure.

Kind of think they should have left the travel alone & fixed the progression for this one. Or Specialized should have fitted a sensible sized shock in the first place.

Chriso82

Jan 28, 2021
Worcestershire
Leverage ratio is already crazy high on the stock bike/stock link, which is why air pressures in the shocks & spring weights are so high.

Increasing travel only increases the leverage ratio further, so even more air pressure/spring weight. The don't recommend coils because you would have to have ridiculous spring weights to make it work & why they are limiting it to under 90kg weight on air shocks too, as you will be on the max air pressure.

Kind of think they should have left the travel alone & fixed the progression for this one. Or Specialized should have fitted a sensible sized shock in the first place.
I emailed you can run a coil but it will take 10% stiffer spring than you run now. It's so you can still get the correct sag

Stompweaver

Jan 20, 2018
Stafford
@Hob Nob I agree with you about the Cascade Components link. I was hoping that they would make a more coil compatible link rather than increasing the leverage ratio even further. It’s a step in the wrong direction for me.
I wish Specialized would spec a longer length and stroke shock too.

mike172

May 12, 2021
Surrey
I wish they had said that a few weeks ago before I bought a new X2 and a cascade.

Edit to add... that might not be an issue as that could be the same link?

Wish they would post it to me. Slow dispatch...

But concerned about comments regarding leverage ratio recently maybe I should cancel my order. I said before I quite like what the stock bike does it could just benefit from another 10mm front and back.

Stompweaver

Jan 20, 2018
Stafford
I wish they had said that a few weeks ago before I bought a new X2 and a cascade.

Edit to add... that might not be an issue as that could be the same link?

Wish they would post it to me. Slow dispatch...

But concerned about comments regarding leverage ratio recently maybe I should cancel my order. I said before I quite like what the stock bike does it could just benefit from another 10mm front and back.
What weight are you Mike and what pressure are you running in your shock?

nice! i can just move my x2 from kenevo

i wonder how much more the linkage will cost
I sold the Öhlins off my Kenevo when I bought the Levo. I am wishing I hadn’t now. If the link costs the same as the others that they produce then it’ll be £230 plus (another!) Ohlins and that’s over £1K! Oh well it’s only money and you only live once…

rydeezie

Jul 26, 2020
san francisco, california

I sold the Öhlins off my Kenevo when I bought the Levo. I am wishing I hadn’t now. If the link costs the same as the others that they produce then it’ll be £230 plus (another!) Ohlins and that’s over £1K! Oh well it’s only money and you only live once…
i was wondering because it's 2 pieces now. i'll check their site to see if they have something similar for other bikes

with the price hike of bike parts now i tend to keep my extra parts unless i can sell for alot more lol. maybe i can sell a 210x55 for more than what i can get a 230x65 for

i think this would be great for the levo since i've been hoping for suspension with more stroke

Last edited:

Stompweaver

Jan 20, 2018
Stafford
@rydeezie good point about it being two components instead of one. The shock linkage has no bearings so should be cheaper but I can still see it being £400 all in. Plus the shock of course.

I moved my Ohlins on as it worked out cheaper to sell it and buy one to fit the Levo rather than have it altered as it would need a new body etc.This was the plan until some “bargain” carbon wheels appeared that I would’ve been silly to miss out on… 😬🤦‍♂️

210x55 shocks and 230x65 are worth about the same so it shouldn’t be too expensive to change. That’s until @Rob Rides EMTB gets the linkage and an EXT E-Storia and say it’s amazing. That’ll be another £1500!💸

rydeezie

Jul 26, 2020
san francisco, california
@rydeezie good point about it being two components instead of one. The shock linkage has no bearings so should be cheaper but I can still see it being £400 all in. Plus the shock of course.

I moved my Ohlins on as it worked out cheaper to sell it and buy one to fit the Levo rather than have it altered as it would need a new body etc.This was the plan until some “bargain” carbon wheels appeared that I would’ve been silly to miss out on… 😬🤦‍♂️

210x55 shocks and 230x65 are worth about the same so it shouldn’t be too expensive to change. That’s until @Rob Rides EMTB gets the linkage and an EXT E-Storia and say it’s amazing. That’ll be another £1500!💸
True. It never ends. It's been rainy here so i've been checking the forums. If i was out riding I wouldn't know about upgrades that i don't need haha.... well, i actually think i need this particular upgrade....

mike172

May 12, 2021
Surrey

92kg. 240psi. 0 tokens

Hob Nob

Jun 4, 2020
UK

Easily going to be £400 I would think, the link is £250 alone, other companies that make comparable yokes (WRP for example who they do colabs with) are £150 for the yoke to the UK for other bikes.

But, putting a proper sized shock on there is great for the bike IMO. Really do not get why they put something with a 55mm stroke on it. They could have just used a 205 trunnion mount when they designed it in the first place & played with stroke lengths to get something sensible.

Especially given the nature of their audience (slightly more midriff than most :LOL: )

Stompweaver

Jan 20, 2018
Stafford
92kg. 240psi. 0 tokens
Mike you're right on the limit for the Cascade link. The max recommended weight is 200lbs or 90kg, you'll end running a lot of air pressurein your X2 to stop it blowing through the travel. If I was you I'd cancel the order as it hasn't shipped and wait (no pun intended!) for the new one to be released.

Easily going to be £400 I would think, the link is £250 alone, other companies that make comparable yokes (WRP for example who they do colabs with) are £150 for the yoke to the UK for other bikes.

But, putting a proper sized shock on there is great for the bike IMO. Really do not get why they put something with a 55mm stroke on it. They could have just used a 205 trunnion mount when they designed it in the first place & played with stroke lengths to get something sensible.

Especially given the nature of their audience (slightly more midriff than most :LOL: )

It's not going to cheap that's for certain. Ideally the shock would be a longer stroke but not a trunion! There's enough side loading on shock with the standard yoke that shocks seem to last about thirty seconds before failing. It'd be even worse with a rigid trunion mount at the other end too!

I'm not sure what you mean about midriff. I am twice the man I was twenty years ago...and half the rider!
🍰🤣

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles