Levo Gen 3 Official Specialized Gen 3 2022 Levo Megathread!

E Bob

Feb 15, 2021
torfaen
Anyone played with there geo settings yet ? id like to get the slack front high rear to work, iv ditched the x2 and fitted an ext storia, Have gone from a 600 spring on the gen 2 down to a 525 and still fell its slightly over sprung.
The gen 3 is way more progressive than the gen 2, its a good thing, and should suit a coil well just need some more miles and few trips to mojo's

Hob Nob

Jun 4, 2020
UK
There is a drop of bikes in the UK due in about a month, which will include the Expert model. There was a couple of the Pro model in stock on the uk concept stores pages on Thursday (S4 & S5) but they went quickly.

Very limited numbers on the next drop. I have an S4 Expert coming into the shop I race for which is due in this next drop.

Rod2H

Apr 2, 2021
Cumbria, UK
Yes i got one, Gingers the best colour imo too, Worried it might get too aggressive in the sunshine tho...
Hah... Ginger! I had not looked at it like that. So what are you first impressions overall etc? Can you post some pics?

I am hoping my LBS will come up with something soon. News is very scarce on any availability or delivery dates.

Have a fun Sunday.

E Bob

Feb 15, 2021
torfaen
Hah... Ginger! I had not looked at it like that. So what are you first impressions overall etc? Can you post some pics?

I am hoping my LBS will come up with something soon. News is very scarce on any availability or delivery dates.

Have a fun Sunday.
The very first thing you will notice is how quick it turns, Like catch you out quick when you’re going a bit, I had the back let go a couple of times mid corner, Iv swapped the tyres for dhf’s, no complaints on the butcher up front but changed both anyway. For a long bike it really does turn well. My gen 2 was a medium, my gen 3 is an S4. Iv not tinkered with the 38’s yet, only had a few rides and I’m trying to sort an ext storia shock Iv fitted, Again something way different to the gen 2 is the rear linkages, gen 3 is way more progressive, if you swapped out your shock from a gen 2, it be like a hard tail... You need less spring on a gen 3.
The motor is a lot smoother on the fire roads etc, Don’t think it accelerates as strong in low cadence as the old motors, but I think specialized have mapped out the peak power surges over the last few updates ‘I had 4 motors in my gen 2 s works’ Not complaining, I prefer a little less oomph to pushing a dead one up mountains. Can’t notice the extra weight and the bike is a stunner, I’m gutted I missed them wraps Rob had going, that would have been the icing on the cake.
E53D6592-180D-47B7-85EB-68EDD29C8A5A.jpeg
E733C5CE-EC26-413D-A58E-23E9C0B5CAA3.jpeg

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I’m gutted I missed them wraps Rob had going, that would have been the icing on the cake.
Have they all gone ? I guess he must be out on some sizes .. There are quite a few "entries" which are gen2 levo's so it won't fit those ..

E Bob

Feb 15, 2021
torfaen
Have they all gone ? I guess he must be out on some sizes .. There are quite a few "entries" which are gen2 levo's so it won't fit those ..

I don’t know, Iv an s4. Perhaps Rob will shed some light on the possibility.. He’s Probably still on charge... Or having his breakfast, Allways wondered what Alien specialized Testriders have for breakfast.. Teflon.. Microflakes n mucoff ?! Wife insisting he has his D30..

Rod2H

Apr 2, 2021
Cumbria, UK
The very first thing you will notice is how quick it turns, Like catch you out quick when you’re going a bit, I had the back let go a couple of times mid corner, Iv swapped the tyres for dhf’s, no complaints on the butcher up front but changed both anyway. For a long bike it really does turn well. My gen 2 was a medium, my gen 3 is an S4. Iv not tinkered with the 38’s yet, only had a few rides and I’m trying to sort an ext storia shock Iv fitted, Again something way different to the gen 2 is the rear linkages, gen 3 is way more progressive, if you swapped out your shock from a gen 2, it be like a hard tail... You need less spring on a gen 3.
The motor is a lot smoother on the fire roads etc, Don’t think it accelerates as strong in low cadence as the old motors, but I think specialized have mapped out the peak power surges over the last few updates ‘I had 4 motors in my gen 2 s works’ Not complaining, I prefer a little less oomph to pushing a dead one up mountains. Can’t notice the extra weight and the bike is a stunner, I’m gutted I missed them wraps Rob had going, that would have been the icing on the cake.
View attachment 58216 View attachment 58217
Thanks Bob, helpful comments, and great pictures. Didn't BMW do a similar colour on the M4's?

I just need to find one somewhere to buy. Happy rides.

E Bob

Feb 15, 2021
torfaen
Thanks Bob, helpful comments, and great pictures. Didn't BMW do a similar colour on the M4's?

I just need to find one somewhere to buy. Happy rides.
No worries, I’ll share my experiences re geo setting as I go through them, I suppose the settings is going to be much talked about, wonder if it’s worth a separate thread, Rob ?

Staff member
Subscriber
Jul 15, 2020
FORUM
No worries, I’ll share my experiences re geo setting as I go through them, I suppose the settings is going to be much talked about, wonder if it’s worth a separate thread, Rob ?
Good idea.

"Duplicated" some posts to create new thread :

giumik

Mar 22, 2021
Italy
A proposito... come lo trovi a cavalcare? Da cosa vieni prima?
[/CITAZIONE]

Ok, spero che tu capisca il mio cattivo inglese!
By the way... how are you finding it to ride? What did you come from before?

Ok, I hope you understand my bad English! ?

Tested PRO version yesterday, I'm not a great tester but I bring you my impressions and the differences I perceived compared to my GEN2 2019 COMP. Yes ok, the montages are on two different planets but net of these there are differences that for me were still evident.

The GEN 3 in size S3 with undercarriage in "short" position and standard head angle,
the GEN 2 in size M.
I am 1.76 tall, on my bike I always felt a little "contracted", on the GEN 3 I had the feeling of greater comfort.

Uphill.
I immediately went shot to do a very steep and technical single track, with tight hairpins and some steps to be tackled with decision and a bit of technique, this path represents my limit as with my GEN 2 I often find myself "floating ”With the wheel in front, and I can't always close it without putting my foot down at least once.
With the GEN 3 I was afraid that, with the 27.5 rear wheel, I would easily go into crisis having read some opinions that went in this direction and instead none of this, very stable bike, I immediately felt at ease, the front wheel has always been attached to the ground giving good directionality, even past the step that represented my black beast without any indecision. Uphill, passed with flying colors.

Arrived at the top I traveled a very fast and smooth flat section with some bends just hinted at, relaunching standing on the pedals in the straight sections. In this circumstance it was the only moment in which I felt a slight discomfort compared to the GEN 2, having a feeling of greater "nervousness" and less "stability of course", but to give a measure to this thing I would say that it is absolutely irrelevant to the satisfaction it gave me on the climb.

At the bottom of the path, due to a felled tree, I had to make a U-turn and here is another pleasant surprise. One of the things I least like about my bike is the great difficulty in moving on the narrow at very low speed, I always felt very awkward, with the GEN 3 I turned in a handkerchief without having to put my foot down, not that it is a fundamental quality but certainly it is something that makes you have a good feeling with the vehicle.

As far as the descent is concerned, the comparison is probably not very significant due to the considerable influence of the quality of the suspension on the general behavior of the bike, however ..... a whole other world!
The descent also took place on a single track that I have traveled hundreds of times and which by now I know like the back of my hand, obviously the mega fork gives an exceptional feeling of safety, here the thing I like least about the GEN 2 is when I ride downhill very fast and flowing interspersed with hairpins in which I have always found myself having to slow down in an exaggerated way, almost to a stop. With the new one this does not happen, the bike turns like a compass, then if you have tight curves with support, forcing with the rear brake, the wheel drifts which is a spectacle following a very natural trajectory, I would say "predictable".

I close by reiterating, that not being a "test rider", mine are not absolute judgments on the bike but the different sensations it gave me compared to the bike I have been using for some time, probably this type of behavior could also be replicated on the GEN 2 by going to “advanced” adjustments that I am not able to make but for what it is worth my opinion is that the new bike has taken a big step forward in many respects.

And to think that I'm not even a lover of the brand, every time I try a Specy I always hope to find some defect, but every time I "give a damn" her !! I know this time too :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Rod2H

Apr 2, 2021
Cumbria, UK
Ok, I hope you understand my bad English! ?

Tested PRO version yesterday, I'm not a great tester but I bring you my impressions and the differences I perceived compared to my GEN2 2019 COMP. Yes ok, the montages are on two different planets but net of these there are differences that for me were still evident.

The GEN 3 in size S3 with undercarriage in "short" position and standard head angle,
the GEN 2 in size M.
I am 1.76 tall, on my bike I always felt a little "contracted", on the GEN 3 I had the feeling of greater comfort.

Uphill.
I immediately went shot to do a very steep and technical single track, with tight hairpins and some steps to be tackled with decision and a bit of technique, this path represents my limit as with my GEN 2 I often find myself "floating ”With the wheel in front, and I can't always close it without putting my foot down at least once.
With the GEN 3 I was afraid that, with the 27.5 rear wheel, I would easily go into crisis having read some opinions that went in this direction and instead none of this, very stable bike, I immediately felt at ease, the front wheel has always been attached to the ground giving good directionality, even past the step that represented my black beast without any indecision. Salita, passed with flying colors.

Arrived at the top I traveled a very fast and smooth flat section with some bends just hinted at, relaunching standing on the pedals in the straight sections. In this circumstance it was the only moment in which I felt a slight discomfort compared to the GEN 2, having a feeling of greater "nervousness" and less "stability of course", but to give a measure to this thing I would say that it is absolutely irrelevant to the satisfaction it gave me on the climb.

At the bottom of the path, due to a felled tree, I had to make a U-turn and here is another pleasant surprise. One of the things I least like about my bike is the great difficulty in moving on the narrow at very low speed, I always felt very awkward, with the GEN 3 I turned in a handkerchief without having to put my foot down, not that it is a fundamental quality but certainly it is something that makes you have a good feeling with the vehicle.

As far as the descent is concerned, the comparison is probably not very significant due to the considerable influence of the quality of the suspension on the general behavior of the bike, however ..... a whole other world!
The descent also took place on a single track that I have traveled hundreds of times and which by now I know like the back of my hand, obviously the mega fork gives an exceptional feeling of safety, here the thing I like least about the GEN 2 is when I ride downhill very fast and flowing interspersed with hairpins in which I have always found myself having to slow down in an exaggerated way, almost to a stop. With the new one this does not happen, the bike turns like a compass, then if you have tight curves with support, forcing with the rear brake, the wheel drifts which is a spectacle following a very natural trajectory, I would say "predictable".

I close by reiterating, that not being a "test rider", mine are not absolute judgments on the bike but the different sensations it gave me compared to the bike I have been using for some time, probably this type of behavior could also be replicated on the GEN 2 by going to “advanced” adjustments that I am not able to make but for what it is worth my opinion is that the new bike has taken a big step forward in many respects.

And to think that I'm not even a lover of the brand, every time I try a Specy I always hope to find some defect, but every time I "give a damn" her !! I know this time too

Fantastic, and a great review. Thanks for taking the time to write it. I am hearing many good things.

Your English is great. Better than my Italian:)

Grazie mille. Vi auguro una buona giornata.

LosiSA

Nov 17, 2020
South Africa
Great shots. The satin finish is really good. I want one...

Hi riders,

So got the S-Works S4 a weekago.
this bike rides like a demon compared to my 2019 Levo Expert but most things have already been covered.
I am however really disappointed!
I have never ridden a bike that makes so much noise.... at this price I'm really disappointed in Specialized quality control.

First thing, there is a distinct mechanical rattle coming from the motor or frame, they said there is a fix for for the battery sleeve by adding rubber on S4,S5 and S6 models, I added some rubber tape as the part never shipped with my S-Works. the additional rubber made no improvement what so ever, I believe the rattle is coming from the motor rather than battery, maybe a bearing maybe something else as when i rock the chainring back and forth I almost get the same sound. For reference it sounds more like a Shimano motor going down a trail, not as quiet as brose should be.
1618218626606.png

Another issue is the squeaking from the internal cable routing (obviously no cables inside as everything is AXS) they come together just behind the motor going to the chainstays. They squeak like a squirrel when moving through the rear suspension. I added some grease there but only lasts for a bit of the ride. Pic below show where they are held together.
1618218749652.png

The seatpost sleeve clicks and cracks through out the whole ride (this is AXS 30.9 dropper with a shim to 34.9 as stock from Specialized) , I have used carbon paste (before every ride) to silence it but only lasts a few minutes into the ride.. this is not sustainable.
I was worried about this when I had seen Specialized used a "Shim", this can only lead to cricking..... Why not use 34.9 for the start?

@Specialized Rider Care - any info on these fixes????
Very disappointing riding an S-Works flagship product from Specialized at this price point and it sounds like a 5 year old bike (only had 4 rides on it).

I'm eager to see if anyone else with an 2022 S-Works has had similar issues as I want a replacement bike. Why should I sit with these issues (and be the tester for Specialized) not being able to enjoy my bike while they sort out something that should have been tested before release.
I have dropper off my bike at Specialized (my local guys are really great but are at the mercy of Specialized), will keep you riders informed as to how things progress.. :(

Last edited:

roccobarocco

Feb 26, 2020
Germany
Bummer! Hope they fix it soon! Nothing more annoying than waiting for a bike to be repaired. However, for the price called upon the bike should be in mint condition. Quality Control at Spesh is really not reflecting the price paid for the bikes.

neiloxford

Jul 8, 2020
UK
Not sure any Manufacturer does good quality control after reading so many posts.

From what I can tell, they rely on the bike shops to do the quality control. I suspect most bike shops check a bike over before selling to the customer, and I suspect some do not.

When I picked up my new bike I had to wait while they did their checks. Slightly frustrating at the time as they did not expain why they were doing them, but I am very glad they did them.

LosiSA

Nov 17, 2020
South Africa
Not sure any Manufacturer does good quality control after reading so many posts.

From what I can tell, they rely on the bike shops to do the quality control. I suspect most bike shops check a bike over before selling to the customer, and I suspect some do not.

When I picked up my new bike I had to wait while they did their checks. Slightly frustrating at the time as they did not expain why they were doing them, but I am very glad they did them.
I hear you, i guess the rattling would have been hard to detect without a trail ride, I want to know how they gona fix that... I hope that its not another motor issue.... The seatpost I could have predicted, not sure how this will be resolved.. I kind of feel like my hands are tied behind my back on these issues, I already know its going to go back a few times and feel its a waste of my time. Specialized need to to something... If its like a "super car" due to price then treat the customer with the same white gloves... not just another bike... I would have thought first adopters would have been given more info and support.

giumik

Mar 22, 2021
Italy
Hi riders,

this bike rides like a demon compared to my 2019 Levo Expert but most things have already been covered.
I have never ridden a bike that makes so much noise.... at this price I'm really disappointed in Specialized quality control.

First thing, there is a distinct mechanical rattle coming from the motor or frame, they said there is a fix for for the battery sleeve by adding rubber on S4,S5 and S6 models, I added some rubber tape as the part never shipped with my S-Works. the additional rubber made no improvement what so ever, I believe the rattle is coming from the motor rather than battery, maybe a bearing maybe something else as when i rock the chainring back and forth I almost get the same sound. For reference it sounds more like a Shimano motor going down a trail, not as quiet as brose should be.
View attachment 58361

Another issue is the squeaking from the internal cable routing (obviously no cables inside as everything is AXS) they come together just behind the motor going to the chainstays. They squeak like a squirrel when moving through the rear suspension. I added some grease there but only lasts for a bit of the ride. Pic below show where they are held together.
View attachment 58362

The seatpost sleeve clicks and cracks through out the whole ride (this is AXS 30.9 dropper with a shim to 34.9 as stock from Specialized) , I have used carbon paste (before every ride) to silence it but only lasts a few minutes into the ride.. this is not sustainable.
I was worried about this when I had seen Specialized used a "Shim", this can only lead to cricking..... Why not use 34.9 for the start?

Very disappointing riding an S-Works flagship product from Specialized at this price point and it sounds like a 5 year old bike (only had 4 rides on it).

I'm eager to see if anyone else with an 2022 S-Works has had similar issues as I want a replacement bike. Why should I sit with these issues (and be the tester for Specialized) not being able to enjoy my bike while they sort out something that should have been tested before release.
I have dropper off my bike at Specialized (my local guys are really great but are at the mercy of Specialized), will keep you riders informed as to how things progress.. :(

On the "PRO" in size S3 I did not hear any noises, in particular the engine is extremely quiet. The "Expert 2019" of a friend of mine, after replacing the belt had become noisier, I was afraid that due to the reinforced belts, even the 2022 models would be noisier than the 2019 models, but on the bike I tested I had no problems . It may be that they have not yet perfected the assembly of the first models. It is right that for a bike like this they intervene immediately, without excuses!

Wheelease

Apr 12, 2021
CA
Hi riders,

View attachment 58361

View attachment 58362

I just picked up 2 S-Works bikes yesterday, both size S4. I came to this forum looking for someone else who is experiencing the rattling and looks like I'm not the only one. I find it hard to believe that this would be acceptable as well in a $15k bike.

My take is that the brake cables are moving/rubbing inside the housing as the bike is moving through the rear suspension. I'm waiting to discuss this with the bike shop to see what can be done to fix this and remove the noise.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Anyone paired a Garmin Fenix watch to the bike for heart rate? My chest strap works fine but would be neat if I could work out how to get the Garmin to send HR to the bike.

Careyj1

May 6, 2020
USA
Hi riders,

View attachment 58361

View attachment 58362

I have had my 22 sworks for 1 week. I am not getting any squeaks from the dropper post or cables or anywhere however the motor is very loud and the charger plug gets loose over a ride when riding rough trails. I am using a little sponge between the cable plug and door. 50 miles yesterday and the bike didn't turn off.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Anyone paired a Garmin Fenix watch to the bike for heart rate? My chest strap works fine but would be neat if I could work out how to get the Garmin to send HR to the bike.
Not sure which one you have, but from a Fenix 5 :

From the heart rate widget, hold MENU.
Select Options > Broadcast Heart Rate.
The fēnix 5/5S device starts broadcasting your heart rate data, and Heart rate broadcast status appears.

NOTE: You can view only the heart rate widget while broadcasting heart rate data from the heart rate widget.
Pair your fēnix 5/5S device with your Garmin ANT‍+® compatible device.
NOTE: The pairing instructions differ for each Garmin compatible device. See your owner's manual.
TIP: To stop broadcasting your heart rate data, select any key, and select Yes.

The instructions there contradict themselves a bit .. they say you can only see the heart rate widget if you're broadcasting - so you wouldn't in theory be able to set it to broadcast because you couldn't see it unless you already were o_O :ROFLMAO:

The the video in the Mastermind guides shows you how to link the ant+ output to the Mastermind:

Direct link :

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles