Rocky Mountain Altitude Powerplay

sparrow

Mar 22, 2019
Rivendell123
Haven't they changed something for this model year to deal with the noise, sure I read about it somewhere

Upper roller replaced with a slide-guide that pivots a little. Def quieter.
9843D2C3-6507-48B2-BCEC-2B957AC35324.jpeg

Eddy Current

E*POWAH Master
Oct 20, 2019
NORTH Spain
Got a few questions ... i guess you can’t run a bigger chainring than the stock one right?

And how much powerfull does it feel compared with the “big four” motors? Slightly, noticeable or very noticeable?

Flatslide

E*POWAH Master
Jul 14, 2019
Dunedin NZ
Got a few questions ... i guess you can’t run a bigger chainring than the stock one right?

And how much powerfull does it feel compared with the “big four” motors? Slightly, noticeable or very noticeable?
I've ridden gen3 Bosch and Brose systems. Their power delivery is quite different to the PowerPlay. The Dyname motor uses a speed sensor, and a torque sensor that behaves a bit like a throttle. The power modes can be thought of as a power delivery ceiling ie: Eco mode at 40% is variable power added to the rider's input up to 40% max assist. Base power delivery appears to use a pre-set assist level that is related to the selected peak power mode. There is no run-on or power-smoothing. You stop pedalling and it stops delivering. It uses a soft-start feature so no matter the power mode selected, the motor cuts in softly and quickly ramps up. It won't fire you over the edge exiting a berm in Ludicrous mode for example.
The motor has an immense amount of torque which I find useful for steep, technical climbing using low gears. It's not really suited to blasting up fire roads at 100% assist in top gear, but it will if you put in the effort. The motor uses a serviceable primary chain with reduction cogs under a cover on it's left side.
34T is all that can be used with this design.
20190918_163426.jpg

Last edited:

Jeddz

Sep 8, 2019
Sydney
OK about to pull the pin on a 2019 Altitude C70. Looks like one of the last Large bikes left in Australia and reduced by $3000 AUD. Seems I cant justify a 2020 bike now especially with the redesign of the chain guide on the RM. A dealer told me today that RM went through 12 different designs before they settled on the one they are bringing in for the 2020 model and can be retrofitted to 2019.

New Guide
View attachment 16937
Any advice before I go ahead?
So how did you go? I got a similar deal which brought the spend in underneath anything similarly specced from any other manufacturer. Wow did I make the right choice 2000kms + on the bike in 3 months. Amazing bike.

Eddy Current

E*POWAH Master
Oct 20, 2019
NORTH Spain
Well gentlemans, im about to join the RM family. Tomorrow if nothing happens an C90 is gonna be mine

@Gary did you heard that? The multipla era is over. I go integrated but I stay loyal to our beloved 27.5 ... not a bad ebike for upgrade don’t you think? I can’t wait to see if my theory that ebikes needs short chainstays, 27.5 and a reactive suspension and handling because the weight so you don’t have to go fast all the way to made the mass disappear

The Kenevo was so tempting but I can’t see myself with a 25kgs endless wheelbase, coil suspension ebike anywhere but descending the Alps. Horses for courses I guess.

Last edited:

AZRickD

Jan 21, 2020
Arizona
I test rode the 2020 Instinct last week.
Mostly slow-pedaling over 4 to 6-inch obstacles to see how the motor ramps up and ramps down.

It is nearly perfect.

On my short list.

Eddy Current

E*POWAH Master
Oct 20, 2019
NORTH Spain
That you're a massive internal battery sell out?
Yeah. I hear you.
I always heard you. Despite 90% of your thoughts on geometry and how it affects handling being clueless drivel

#264LYFbro #RideMOAR ?

Sorry about the internal, but the rest of the package and overall, the price (I pick a nonsense bargain from one old man) leads me to that.

I will post my impressions next week. Trust me I’m a better rider than a geometry theorists

So happy with this buy, specially at the price I bought it, I even feel bad for the old man ... who the hell sell him that ebike?? Not only was a bargain it’s in mint condition, men it has reflectors on the wheels!

Hope one day Rob get some from the Canadians Norco and RM to review, such a shame two of the most interesting ebikes are still no tested by our founder father.

I feel a lot of love in the room.

Plenty

Bareback Rocky Mountain

sparrow

Mar 22, 2019
Rivendell123
How much? Where to order? Is there any other updates? mine is a 2018 c90

Does anybody runs 32t? What the “average” range for the 632wh?

Next week arrives!

Thanks

Your closest Rocky Mountain Dealer ought to be able to get them. I've got a couple extras, but am in USA. Could mail. I think it is $40 or so? I'll try to get you the part number off the package....

You can not use a 32t ring, the torque sensing is built around 34t.

Eddy Current

E*POWAH Master
Oct 20, 2019
NORTH Spain
Ok I got the bike with me.

Give me a few days to try it and give a better review. My local trails ain’t to demanding and I need to set up a bit the suspension. After that i will do a truly mountain day and I’ll give you my impressions. But yes, the few rides I do it’s feels more like a regular bike than a ebike, even handling while walking to move it (i mean without actually ridin on)feels light, and that’s very impressive. I noticed it requieres less space to turn in my garage than my BH multipla wich is 68.5 slack 51 offset fork and has a 30mm stem ....

Stay tuned

Flatslide

E*POWAH Master
Jul 14, 2019
Dunedin NZ
Ok I got the bike with me.

Give me a few days to try it and give a better review. My local trails ain’t to demanding and I need to set up a bit the suspension. After that i will do a truly mountain day and I’ll give you my impressions. But yes, the few rides I do it’s feels more like a regular bike than a ebike, even handling while walking to move it (i mean without actually ridin on)feels light, and that’s very impressive. I noticed it requieres less space to turn in my garage than my BH multipla wich is 68.5 slack 51 offset fork and has a 30mm stem ....

Stay tuned
What suspension and brake spec does your's have Eddy?
I've ridden 3000km on my C50 so far and still on the original cassette with no shifting problems, although the XT 12speed chain has just hit 0.75 wear after 1800km so the drivetrain is up for replacement soon. It's interesting you find the bike light. Mine is an XL and weighs 24.5kg with pedals.

Eddy Current

E*POWAH Master
Oct 20, 2019
NORTH Spain
What suspension and brake spec does your's have Eddy?
I've ridden 3000km on my C50 so far and still on the original cassette with no shifting problems, although the XT 12speed chain has just hit 0.75 wear after 1800km so the drivetrain is up for replacement soon. It's interesting you find the bike light. Mine is an XL and weighs 24.5kg with pedals.

SRAM Guide RE and Yari Fork, Fox Float Kashima rear ... the previous owner took the Fox 36 for their son bike or some like this, don’t care the Yari can be upgraded to Lyrik Charger, by now it’s ok

Mine it’s a C90 M, claimed to be about 21.5 kilos so its smaller and lighter ... i definitly feel it very light than it is wich is not bad but not the lightest ebike.

Flatslide

E*POWAH Master
Jul 14, 2019
Dunedin NZ
SRAM Guide RE and Yari Fork, Fox Float Kashima rear ... the previous owner took the Fox 36 for their son bike or some like this, don’t care the Yari can be upgraded to Lyrik Charger, by now it’s ok

Mine it’s a C90 M, claimed to be about 21.5 kilos so its smaller and lighter ... i definitly feel it very light than it is wich is not bad but not the lightest ebike.

I find the Yari fine for what I ride, which is pretty much everything short of double jumps over 16ft. I'd guess your smaller bike will be a little more playful, whereas my XL is basically a KLX250 with pedals ?

Eddy Current

E*POWAH Master
Oct 20, 2019
NORTH Spain
I find the Yari fine for what I ride, which is pretty much everything short of double jumps over 16ft. I'd guess your smaller bike will be a little more playful, whereas my XL is basically a KLX250 with pedals ?

It’s very playful. So much that I set the flip chip in almost the slackest position in order to get more slow and gentle steering until I accustom myself to the bike handling. Its so snappy men

Flatslide

E*POWAH Master
Jul 14, 2019
Dunedin NZ
World of difference. Have noticed I need to take it off to clean every few rides as it builds up with gunk. I also pull the cover next to it and clean cogs in there too. Keeps thing running smooth and quiet.
I also had gunk build-up issues with mine. I tried a couple of different lubes but for the last 2000km have been using Purple Extreme. I wash the chain in petrol, dry it with compressed air and then apply a drop of PE per roller. Best lube ever. No mess, no build up, doesn't attract crap, and if you allow it to dry overnight after applying to a clean chain, won't wash off in wet either. 2000km on one XT12 speed chain which is just now approaching the end of its serviceable life. Highly recommended for the RM drivetrain.

Eddy Current

E*POWAH Master
Oct 20, 2019
NORTH Spain
The noise doesn’t bother me at all. Is a mechanic sound like the ratchets or some, def less annoying for me than the buzz from a motor. When the time comes to service it I upgrade to the new one but for now is no prob for me at all.

Flatslide

E*POWAH Master
Jul 14, 2019
Dunedin NZ
The noise doesn’t bother me at all. Is a mechanic sound like the ratchets or some, def less annoying for me than the buzz from a motor. When the time comes to service it I upgrade to the new one but for now is no prob for me at all.
Same mate. I still use the original toothed roller and won't replace til it's shot. I really only notice the noise when I'm riding with friends on their push bikes.

Eddy Current

E*POWAH Master
Oct 20, 2019
NORTH Spain
Same mate. I still use the original toothed roller and won't replace til it's shot. I really only notice the noise when I'm riding with friends on their push bikes.

Flat, the link you post in the suspension thread ... there’s something that I can’t understand due to my bad english

Seat bearing spacers with narrow inner faces against bearings, and slide shock into link.

This means with the flat side of the spacers and that smaller “ring lip” like this pic?

907FE2A7-CF3E-4D01-94F4-B8F47ACF8378.jpeg

The draw on the manual show it the other way around, the lip side facing inside, the flat side outside.

C0775AD1-D9A4-47E9-8B7D-05301A29860D.jpeg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles