Rocky Mountain Altitude Powerplay

Drleduc

Aug 19, 2020
Canada
Fantastic, I literally got the same bike yesterday also (albeit mine is being shipped to me shortly). Hard to find in stock anywhere. XL size.

Eddy Current

E*POWAH Master
Oct 20, 2019
NORTH Spain
I really wish companies wouldn't do this, especially with e-bikes. Ultimately, they will just put people off buying their bike as it will be much harder to sell.

Smaller bike shops can't always afford to take in trade ins, so even if you're brand loyal and just want to buy a new bike every 12 months, you can't - because you'll struggle to sell your existing one.

I think RM even went the extra mile and upgraded, retrospectively, to a 3 year warranty ? Which is fantastic and I hope everyone follows suit (no emtb gambling puns intended). But if that's none transferable, for a lot of people who buy EMTB's it's worthless.

Lawsuit for that. No manufacturers can make their own laws. Warranty always cover the stuff not the owner. If you take it to a court is an easy win even for Lionel Hutz

Eddy Current

E*POWAH Master
Oct 20, 2019
NORTH Spain
Well it's new bike day for me! Found a 2020 Altitude PP A70 in stock at a good price, picked up today. Stoked, looks fantastic in the flesh!!

Just waiting on a v3 iwoc and 2021 firmware update from the Rocky rep on Tuesday.

First ride on Saturday, I'll spend tomorrow to set her up. I've got a few bits to swap over from my Merida and need to go tubeless.

View attachment 41268

Hey Dan do you mind ask your dealer how the upgrade is done? Bluetooth? Laptop/usb?

Thanks

Dan63

Feb 4, 2019
Brisbane
Hey Dan do you mind ask your dealer how the upgrade is done? Bluetooth? Laptop/usb?

Thanks
It's plugin with the service tool, i assume via iwoc connector. Rocky need to supply them the software file if they don't already have it and then they can do it in house. The rep is visiting next week so he was to supply the software on the day

Eddy Current

E*POWAH Master
Oct 20, 2019
NORTH Spain
It's plugin with the service tool, i assume via iwoc connector. Rocky need to supply them the software file if they don't already have it and then they can do it in house. The rep is visiting next week so he was to supply the software on the day

Fuck ... my dealers are far away, send the bike for that = 80€ for the upgrade so not for free to me

albertstancu

Oct 22, 2020
Europe
Hi there everyone, I'm a proud new owner of an (used) Atitude Powerplay 2019. Great bike so far, but something is giving me headaches. I noticed it while riding, but especially when cleaning the cogs and pulleys.

The drive cog makes a clicking/knocking sound when manually rotated in drive (clockwise) direction. It's only in the very first moment of the spinning process, when the cog is basically engaged in rotation. It seems to be coming from inside the engine compartment, not from the lockring/cog splines. There is also play in the drive cog, as seen in the video, but has nothing to do with this, sound is not coming from there, that's something discussed in a different thread about the lockring getting worn.

Did any of you guys experienced this clicking sound ?

Unfortunately there's no RockyMountain dealer in my country to troubleshoot this so I am pretty on my own here.

Eddy Current

E*POWAH Master
Oct 20, 2019
NORTH Spain
Hi there everyone, I'm a proud new owner of an (used) Atitude Powerplay 2019. Great bike so far, but something is giving me headaches. I noticed it while riding, but especially when cleaning the cogs and pulleys.

The drive cog makes a clicking/knocking sound when manually rotated in drive (clockwise) direction. It's only in the very first moment of the spinning process, when the cog is basically engaged in rotation. It seems to be coming from inside the engine compartment, not from the lockring/cog splines. There is also play in the drive cog, as seen in the video, but has nothing to do with this, sound is not coming from there, that's something discussed in a different thread about the lockring getting worn.

Did any of you guys experienced this clicking sound ?

Unfortunately there's no RockyMountain dealer in my country to troubleshoot this so I am pretty on my own here.

Are you in the Rocky Mountain Powerplay facebook group? I swear I’ve seen that problem few times there.

Dan63

Feb 4, 2019
Brisbane
It would be the bearing or the primary drive chain in my opinion. Could be worth removing the cover on the other side to inspect the chain for stretch

albertstancu

Oct 22, 2020
Europe
It would be the bearing or the primary drive chain in my opinion. Could be worth removing the cover on the other side to inspect the chain for stretch

You were right!
Found the clicking noise cause.
The engine chain is worn, isn't it ? Where can I find one to replace it ?

Eddy Current

E*POWAH Master
Oct 20, 2019
NORTH Spain
You were right!
Found the clicking noise cause.
The engine chain is worn, isn't it ? Where can I find one to replace it ?

For spares contact the nearest local dealer, if is too far then TribeSport France or Zerobikes UK. There are some spares on webs shops that looks is just a regular chain and you can get it anywhere

Save this links for the future and don’t worry, the Dynamo got some of this failures but they are not a big deal to repair and you can do it by yourself

Save this links for the future.

Theres more servicing videos I don’t know how to link the whole playlist (I don’t think you need to remove the whole drive to do this)

Last edited:

albertstancu

Oct 22, 2020
Europe
Awesome! Much appreciated.
Btw, i’ve found the drive chain kit (with the 2 O-rings included) as spare part.
Will order with a new drive cog and new lockring.

For spares contact the nearest local dealer, if is too far then TribeSport France or Zerobikes UK. There are some spares on webs shops that looks is just a regular chain and you can get it anywhere

Save this links for the future and don’t worry, the Dynamo got some of this failures but they are not a big deal to repair and you can do it by yourself

Save this links for the future.

Theres more servicing videos I don’t know how to link the whole playlist (I don’t think you need to remove the whole drive to do this)

-justus

Sep 18, 2020
Finland
I got my 2020 Altitude Powerplay updated to 2021 firmware yesterday. Crazy how little Rocky advertises this new update. It gets dark here at 5 pm so I have to wait for the weekend to have a proper test drive. But it really makes difference especially with lower rpm cadence. I only tested it in full boost mode and at least there it's notably quicker to accelerate. I can't find any numbers over the net or Rockys site. LBS also told me that the battery is supposed to last longer in full boost mode.

albertstancu

Oct 22, 2020
Europe
Since I had the common problem with drive cog play caused by a poor and worn lockring contact, I ordered a new drive cog that now comes with a Sunrace lockring as a set.

When I removed the old drive cog, I was surprised to discover that because of the play, the cog splines dug (ate) in the engine "freehub" channels and enlarged these considerably (over 1mm).

While I've seen many lockrings and cogs replaced here, I've never seen a worn freehub like that. Anyone had this problem
What do you recommend me to do ? Is this part replace-able ?

The new lockring seems to have a smaller thread area so it pushes against the cog much better, eliminating any play (at least by hand). The problem with with the old lockring was because the thread area was a little bit bigger and when fully tighethened against the freehub, it was not putting enough pressure on the cog because of the tolerances. The new lockring eliminates this problem but my freehub channels are worn.

What to do ?

5fc28d4a-cfcd-4c48-bd40-cec23cf51470.jpeg

53ce0cc6-7b03-4a91-a4b8-724c6d9dc37c.jpeg

c1afb432-34ad-4c77-81ec-0925731c5018.jpeg

Flatslide

E*POWAH Master
Jul 14, 2019
Dunedin NZ
Nasty :(
No chance of a warranty claim?
A welder/engineer with a few clues could repair that in place. I could, but am not local to you. Removing the shaft would be ideal for someone less experienced. The lock nut should be holding the cog so it never moves. By the look of that spline, you rode many miles with it loose unfortunately. I would repair it using silicon bronze. If the shaft was removed it could be repaired using tool steel TIG filler, but the extra heat might damage the internal thread. If you contact bikes.com, maybe they can advise where a new replacement could be purchased if no engineering option is available.
Good luck dude.

Last edited:

Randy

Apr 23, 2020
Henley on Thames
That looks finished. No way you're going to repair that with a TIG in-situ, the heat will burn out all the seals and, besides, it would want machining afterwards anyway. Best get the motor stripped back and the shaft replaced.

Cuddles

Apr 22, 2020
North Vancouver
That looks finished. No way you're going to repair that with a TIG in-situ, the heat will burn out all the seals and, besides, it would want machining afterwards anyway. Best get the motor stripped back and the shaft replaced.
no kidding - wtf happened to that _ I d think also that there would have been veeeeerrrry noticable play during riding , no .. . . - kinda like a really worn and sloppy free-hub no. . . . - was this a rental bike or something?

Flatslide

E*POWAH Master
Jul 14, 2019
Dunedin NZ
I d think also that there would have been veeeeerrrry noticable play during riding
Yeah, they make a clicking noise as the transfer cog moves forwards and back against the spline. It's quite noticeable, but not everyone is mechanically minded. If Rocky made the cog without a chamfered face, this issue wouldn't be.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles