2022 Rocky Mountain new Altitude Powerplay

rockymountaindude

May 6, 2022
Canada
My new 2022 Rocky Mountain Altitude PowerPlay C70. In British Columbia.

IMG_3527.jpeg

IMG_3529.jpeg

IMG_3530.jpeg

IMG_3533.jpeg

IMG_3547.jpeg

S13

Mar 1, 2021
NL
S13 after you commented on the whine from the rear hub I made a point of trying to notice the same and my bike is absolutely silent when free wheeling, no idea why yours is not.

I took the rear hub apart. Its a SLX FH-M7110, which is actually supposed to be silent.
I regreased the inner splines, and i was careful not to grease the internal part that says not to grease.
But i might have accidently got a tiny bit of grease on that inner part. Ah well... :ROFLMAO:

Anyway, reassembled and now its quite the opposite. Going from the most loudest hub, to one of almost complete silence. And it still engages like normal. Perfect! Problem solved!

2 other minor things that i have noticed since owning the bike:

The display backlight is flickering a bit. Im not sure if its there all the time, or that it just under certain lighting conditions. Anyone else notice this?

Also sometimes i get a communication error on the display right after powering up when there is a charger attached to the bike. This happens with the AC adapter and also once with the overtime pack. Solution is to power the bike off and on, and things work fine again. Ive only had this happen like 3 times. Could this be a firmware related problem?

RockyRider

Jun 8, 2022
Northern Italy
he display backlight is flickering a bit. Im not sure if its there all the time, or that it just under certain lighting conditions. Anyone else notice this?

Also sometimes i get a communication error on the display right after powering up when there is a charger attached to the bike.

Hi. Brand new Altitude C70 here as well. I found the same flickering under strong light, and the same connection issue, which I bypassed rebooting the bike.

S13

Mar 1, 2021
NL
Hi. Brand new Altitude C70 here as well. I found the same flickering under strong light, and the same connection issue, which I bypassed rebooting the bike.

eh could you eleborate?
Not sure what you mean by bypassing and rebooting, and did that resolve the issue?

RockyRider

Jun 8, 2022
Northern Italy
eh could you eleborate?
Not sure what you mean by bypassing and rebooting, and did that resolve the issue?

Hi. I mean I solved forcing to turn off the bike through its power button on the Jumbotron. Since then, I turned on and off the bike several times over 3 days, and no issue happened.

S13

Mar 1, 2021
NL
Yes power cycling solves the problem, but only temporarily. The error seems to pop up every now and then, like once every few weeks. Its not a big issue, but still somewhat annoying.

Dynamo

Apr 3, 2022
Victoria BC
Been riding my 22 A70 here in BC for a few months now. All the little issues people talking about from my experience will go away. I think out of the first 10 rides I might have had it act up 3 times and a quick calibration took care of it. Haven’t had an issue since. One thing to keep in mind is when you power it up don’t have your foot on the pedals and I even go one further by applying the front brake so the bike won’t roll at all during this time. Pedal strikes? Yea, occasionally. Not often enough to do anything about it tho. The hills here in my backyard of BC have become much more fun now. Both ways!
Safe riding!

Suiso

Oct 11, 2021
Castellon
hello people, in my C90 I get the error 199. Is it the error you were talking about? the procedure is the same, turn the ebike off and on. But it happens to me regularly...is there a solution?

20220618_110759.jpg

20220618_110733.jpg

S13

Mar 1, 2021
NL
Yes its Error 199 that pops up every now and then. I think ive seen it like 5 or 6 times in the last 6 weeks.
Wouldnt be surprised if this was a firmware issue?

nineT

Apr 16, 2020
Bavaria
This tapered hole is not the best design solution. The same problem is present also on the motor covers of the Dyname 2.0. Resulting from this design solution is a very low torque limit of the tapered head screws. Use a low strength thread lock (like Loctite 222) and thigten the screws very very carefully, a lot below the torque limit that would result considering the thread dimensions only. If the screws are aluminum, better replace them with steel screws, because even a low strength threadlocker might be too much for the allen key insert when you try to unscrew them the next time.

Last edited:

Moe Ped

Apr 19, 2020
Perth Australia
Just picked this up today, only changes so far are we are one wheels and specialzed seat. trying to get an AXS droppper but nobody has them in stock. Am in Perth Western Australia apparently this is the only altitude in large for this year due to supply.

Not sure can ride it yet as i cant stop staring at it :) its a real looker.

Wifes not happy as i currently have in the main bedroom.

bike 1.jpg

bike 2.jpg

bike 3.jpg

bike5.jpg

bike6.jpg

Puschtrale

Jan 19, 2021
Dobbiaco
Great (y). may i ask if anyone knows how to remove the plastik robber underneath the downtube that provides the fork of hitting the frame? I did unsrew the bolt but the plastik robber did not come loose 🤷‍♂️

S13

Mar 1, 2021
NL
Dont know. Mine didnt came with a rubber stop. The fork just rotates all the way. Perhaps its for smaller sized frames only? (i have the XL).

Moe Ped, you seem to be missing the black protective covers on the underside of the downtube?
Also why did you swap you maxxis tyres to identical non oem types?

But nice bike obviously!
Ahhh.... I remember when my bike used to be that shiny. That was only 2 months a go ;)

Puschtrale

Jan 19, 2021
Dobbiaco
The covers came in the bag with the owners manual, kept the original wheels complete also went for the lighter version of the tyre and didnt want cushcore.
Dont know. Mine didnt came with a rubber stop. The fork just rotates all the way. Perhaps its for smaller sized frames only? (i have the XL).

Moe Ped, you seem to be missing the black protective covers on the underside of the downtube?
Also why did you swap you maxxis tyres to identical non oem types?

But nice bike obviously!
Ahhh.... I remember when my bike used to be that shiny. That was only 2 months a go ;)
If you dont have the rubber stop, could you please take a picture of that part? I want to remove it because in tecnical climbs i need to have more freedom in turning the steerer - i just dont know if with removed bolt i could just tear the rubber stop off

JordanF

Nov 5, 2022
Vancouver
Error 157 Code

Just got my 2022 Altitude c70. Rode it around the streets to get use to it and rode to the bike shop and back and noticed i got an Error 157 code.

i opened the cover and some grease from the torque pulley transfered to the cover but everything was snug and fine. As i only rode it on the street there was nothing on the cogs to clean off.

I tried calibrating as per the instruction on the jumbotron but i still have the error. The bike rides fine and i wouldnt have noticed if i didnt read about it in a review . The shop i bought it from is actually pretty far from where i live but last resort is to take it back and have them take a look. I've tried calibrating multiple ways but it could just be the sensor?

Anyone have this problem?

Dynamo

Apr 3, 2022
Victoria BC
Error 157 Code

Just got my 2022 Altitude c70. Rode it around the streets to get use to it and rode to the bike shop and back and noticed i got an Error 157 code.

i opened the cover and some grease from the torque pulley transfered to the cover but everything was snug and fine. As i only rode it on the street there was nothing on the cogs to clean off.

I tried calibrating as per the instruction on the jumbotron but i still have the error. The bike rides fine and i wouldnt have noticed if i didnt read about it in a review . The shop i bought it from is actually pretty far from where i live but last resort is to take it back and have them take a look. I've tried calibrating multiple ways but it could just be the sensor?

Anyone have this problem?
I would suggest that you just ride it. Try turning it off then on again. Multiple times if needed. Calibrate it. Multiple times if needed. Give it time to sort itself out. I had a couple similar issues in the beginning but is fine now. Get into the habit of calibrating before every ride. Put it in first gear. Get off the bike. Hold the front brake during the calibration, just to ensure the bike doesn’t move.

S13

Mar 1, 2021
NL
You really shouldnt have to recalibrate every ride. Cant remember the last time i calibrated it and everything still works as it should. Just keep the torque pulley clean and make sure no debris is stuck behind the pulley that might obstruct its functioning.
From what i can see, error 157 could indicate a stuck or obstructed torque pulley. So go check that out.

Also, in the diagnostic menu (hold mode and up button for 3 seconds), go to Live data -> Sensors -> Torque. There you will see if the sensor is working correct. It also displays your calibration value. Without applying force to the pedals the calibration value should match the sensor Voltage. This is what it means to be "calibrated". Then when applying force to the pedals you should see the torque sensor Voltage go up.
My display tells me the sensitivity is 120Nm/V, so technically when you apply 120Nm of torque on the pedals, the sensor Voltage should go up by 1 Volt.
120Nm is the equivalent of putting ~70kgs of weight on one pedal. That should give you a rough idea.

FYI, my torque sensor shows a value of 1.44V when in rest.

JordanF

Nov 5, 2022
Vancouver
I would suggest that you just ride it. Try turning it off then on again. Multiple times if needed. Calibrate it. Multiple times if needed. Give it time to sort itself out. I had a couple similar issues in the beginning but is fine now. Get into the habit of calibrating before every ride. Put it in first gear. Get off the bike. Hold the front brake during the calibration, just to ensure the bike doesn’t move.
Thanks for the suggestions. Went for a 20km rip calibrated it a bunch. Still get the error but motor engages as expected . I won't worry about it and just ride.

Love it either way

JordanF

Nov 5, 2022
Vancouver
You really shouldnt have to recalibrate every ride. Cant remember the last time i calibrated it and everything still works as it should. Just keep the torque pulley clean and make sure no debris is stuck behind the pulley that might obstruct its functioning.
From what i can see, error 157 could indicate a stuck or obstructed torque pulley. So go check that out.

Also, in the diagnostic menu (hold mode and up button for 3 seconds), go to Live data -> Sensors -> Torque. There you will see if the sensor is working correct. It also displays your calibration value. Without applying force to the pedals the calibration value should match the sensor Voltage. This is what it means to be "calibrated". Then when applying force to the pedals you should see the torque sensor Voltage go up.
My display tells me the sensitivity is 120Nm/V, so technically when you apply 120Nm of torque on the pedals, the sensor Voltage should go up by 1 Volt.
120Nm is the equivalent of putting ~70kgs of weight on one pedal. That should give you a rough idea.

FYI, my torque sensor shows a value of 1.44V
On the screen it says it should be below 1.20v without weight , which mine bounces between 1.19v -1.20

It's probably fine.

20221105_115953.jpg

S13

Mar 1, 2021
NL
Well yours is apparently a bit different, stating that the level should be below 1.20V.
As mine is already at 1.44V without weight. Maybe they changed something in the sensor for the later models? (mine is 2022 altitude, bought May of this year)

When does your error typically show up? Under what kind of circumstances?
Note that errors in the errorlog will remain there forever, even if the problem is fixed (there is probably a way to erase them, i just dont know how)

S13

Mar 1, 2021
NL
Ah i went to my old error log entries and lo and behold i also had 2x the 157 error show up. But in my case it said that the value should be below 1.44V. That kind of makes sense, because that is the zero point for my sensor (and what it was calibrated to at the time).
Yours is calibrated at 1.20V, so that would explain why there is a difference in the message.

I only got those codes twice in the beginning, and have never seen them afterwards.
So maybe Dynamo is right, just ignore it and it'll probably fix itself over time...?

JordanF

Nov 5, 2022
Vancouver
Well yours is apparently a bit different, stating that the level should be below 1.20V.
As mine is already at 1.44V without weight. Maybe they changed something in the sensor for the later models? (mine is 2022 altitude, bought May of this year)

When does your error typically show up? Under what kind of circumstances?
Note that errors in the errorlog will remain there forever, even if the problem is fixed (there is probably a way to erase them, i just dont know how)
Error only popped up once. And I calibrated .

I thought it would wipe the error. I kept trying to clear the error.But I guess it's actually fine. Just paranoid about the new bike.

Thanks for all the help !! Really appreciate the piece of mind and now I'll just go rip some climbs lol.

Dynamo

Apr 3, 2022
Victoria BC
I am usually fine but occasionally it doesn’t want to start so I first try turning it off then back on. Usually doesn’t help so I just do a calibration and it’s good to go. No issues 80-90% of the time but a recalibration fixes it every time so far. Good luck!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles