2022 Rocky Mountain new Altitude Powerplay

Kimmoi

Jul 6, 2018
Finland
This bike is very interesting. A30 or A50 would be my choice, because of budget.
Frame, motor, battery and electronics are all the same on every model?

Jerma

Mar 29, 2021
Finland
This bike is very interesting. A30 or A50 would be my choice, because of budget.
For the alloys models (=A), the frame, motor, electrics are the same. A50 and A70 even have the same rear shock. Groupsets, fork and other components differ.

leftside

Mar 26, 2020
Vancouver
It's more than interesting. The thing is a rocket up and down. Feels much lighter when riding vs actual weight. I feel the bike wants to go really fast downhill, and I'm doing my best to restrain myself as I'm still getting used to the bike.

With the 108Nm motor, Ludicrous mode and Boost +2 it's the first time I've thought to myself "this motor should probably be illegal". With the decent sized battery, I can still get around 1200m climbing after work when short of time and using the higher boost mode.

Kimmoi

Jul 6, 2018
Finland
A30 coil has RS Domain and Marzocchi Bomber cr coil, those are ”okay” i think.
There’s 1000euros difference to A50 though.
Brakes are 4-piston also. Powerline Deore.

Coil shock is a plus in my books. And 11speed drivetrain.
Hmph…

Edit: and here in Finland there isn’t bikes at all at LBS. At Septemper might come..

Last edited:

S13

Mar 1, 2021
NL
The other day i saw a brand new RM altitude A70 on the trails here in Ainsa and i was instantly impressed! After all the crap ive had with my E8000 im looking around for an upgrade.
This new RM Altitude is high on my list! Ive called around to local dealers to see what the situation is with availability. Seems like not much is left and bike shops will have to place their orders for the 2023 season very soon, like this or next month from what ive been told.
Hoping to first do a test ride on a last year model, just to see how it handles. But then comes the question, if i preorder one, what will the 2023 model be like?
One of the shops told me they do get early access to 2023 model information, which will not be publicly available. But hopefully they can share some of that information with potential buyers...
Does any else have inside info about changes for the 2023 models, component-wise etc...?

leftside

Mar 26, 2020
Vancouver
I have the A70 and the 2022 model is quite different to the 2021 model. My LBS told me they are taking pre-orders for the October (maybe Spring) 2023 model on May 1st. They are not expecting many changes from the 2022 model due to all the changes that have already been incorporated, but this is just their opinion and it's not fact.

Sorry to hear your woes with the E8000. I have a YT Decoy that I'm keeping that has over 3000km on it, and haven't had any issues. It's a great bike, but I have to admit I'm preferring the more nimble feeling A70. The bigger battery is nice (I also have the Overtime) and the 108Nm motor is amazing.

Kimmoi

Jul 6, 2018
Finland
I put my Levo up for sale, if miracle happens i will make a deal for A50.
Levo is a fantastic bike but i think that RM is a different kind of beast. :cool:

S13

Mar 1, 2021
NL
I have the A70 and the 2022 model is quite different to the 2021 model. My LBS told me they are taking pre-orders for the October (maybe Spring) 2023 model on May 1st. They are not expecting many changes from the 2022 model due to all the changes that have already been incorporated, but this is just their opinion and it's not fact.

Sorry to hear your woes with the E8000. I have a YT Decoy that I'm keeping that has over 3000km on it, and haven't had any issues. It's a great bike, but I have to admit I'm preferring the more nimble feeling A70. The bigger battery is nice (I also have the Overtime) and the 108Nm motor is amazing.

One of the shops here said the same, not expecting many changes for the 2023 model. Ah we'll see.

My E8000 is now reaching the 10k km mark, so its not all that bad. Im hoping with some spare parts and battery hacking i can ride for another year and then switch over to the RM Altitude or something.

EzRyder

Jun 30, 2020
London
Rode it at Rogate and Swinley over the weekend, an absolute beast, very fast on the down yet still playful. Flies back to the top. Was equally at home on a 40mile XC loop. Best bike I've ridden. BPW Friday and Afan and Morzine in the next couple of months, can't wait!

S13

Mar 1, 2021
NL
Sounds good! :)
Any comments on pedal strikes? You have the larger 170mm cranks i think?

S13

Mar 1, 2021
NL
That is actually very good to hear! I mounted shorter 150's on my Spectral ON because of constant pedal strikes. Was a bit worried the RM would have the same problem.

leftside

Mar 26, 2020
Vancouver
That is actually very good to hear! I mounted shorter 150's on my Spectral ON because of constant pedal strikes. Was a bit worried the RM would have the same problem.
It doesn't. I only noticed the pedal strikes when I put a 27.5 wheel on the rear. Back to 29'er now. I also put shorter 155's on my Decoy, but don't need to do that with the Rocky.

S13

Mar 1, 2021
NL
Well god dang it... i just bought a RM Altitude... :whistle:
That's about 9 months faster than i expected.

This local bike shop had the exact type/size i wanted in stock (the last one they had). Made a good deal in combination with the overtime pack and smaller 165cranks, so i should be able to pick it up next week or something.
First test will be Sweden / Norway next month, cant wait! :D

S13

Mar 1, 2021
NL
Wohoo!
20220430-203140.jpg

Sadly the shorter cranks were difficult to acquire, so will have to wait for those a bit longer. In the meantime i can enjoy it with the 170 cranks :)

I like it a lot, it has sooo much torque uphill!

One thing that bothers me though, is the high wining noise from the rear hub. They put one of those high engagement hubs on there, i guess those are higher quality, but the whining sound when freewheeling down the trails is kinda annoying. Any way to reduce the sound a bit? Perhaps use a thicker grease for lubrication?

Vinnykiwi

Oct 19, 2020
AUSTRIA ??
Wohoo!
20220430-203140.jpg

Sadly the shorter cranks were difficult to acquire, so will have to wait for those a bit longer. In the meantime i can enjoy it with the 170 cranks :)

One thing that bothers me though, is the high wining noise from the rear hub. They put one of those high engagement hubs on there, i guess those are higher quality, but the whining sound when freewheeling down the trails is kinda annoying. Any way to reduce the sound a bit? Perhaps use a thicker grease for lubrication?
Looks awesome, how heavy as is?

EzRyder

Jun 30, 2020
London
Anyone had the motor not engaging when pedalling occasionally? This has happened a few times, it starts working again after 5 - 10 secs of pedalling,

artzicat1

Mar 3, 2019
israel
Wohoo!
20220430-203140.jpg

have the same bike u will enjoy this one .have you ordered a 165 crankset yet? i am looking in to that problem low stock

S13

Mar 1, 2021
NL
Anyone had the motor not engaging when pedalling occasionally? This has happened a few times, it starts working again after 5 - 10 secs of pedalling,

Havent looked at it yet, but perhaps the diagnostic menu can give you some clues? Perhaps the motor needs a new calibration (my lbs told me to do that every once in a while).

Robstyle

Nov 17, 2021
New Zealand
Yeah dude it's the torque sensor, recalibrate it through the settimgs. Happens all the time, bit annoying! It's a common fault apparently. Luckily a 2min fix.

Abucas

May 3, 2022
Australia
Has anyone else had either of these two issues?

I purchased my Altitude Powerplay A30 4 weeks ago here in Australia, and ran into my first issue 1 week later.
I thought I would check how easy it was to remove the battery.
I took the battery access cover off (first and only time), to find the front plastic hooks broken off.

Last night I wanted measure out a new chain, so I had to take the chain cover off to be able to re-install the chain (first and only time).
What I found was that the plastic around the front screw mount was cracked. It looks like it has been cracked for a while.

Nearly 1 month later I have still not heard nor has the LBS been given any time frame for a replacement battery access cover.

Update May 13th, Battery cover and Chain cover have both been replaced by RM

I did find this review dated March 2022 where they also had a cracked chain cover:

Interested in others experiences.

2022-04-06 10.57.13.jpg
2022-05-03 10.06.47.jpg
2022-05-03 10.08.24.jpg
2022-03-30 13.38.32.jpg

Last edited:

EzRyder

Jun 30, 2020
London
Calibrated the bike and the motor engaged perfectly again, the bike is so much fun and powerful up hill I can live with an occasional reset, it takes 20 seconds.

S13 after you commented on the whine from the rear hub I made a point of trying to notice the same and my bike is absolutely silent when free wheeling, no idea why yours is not.

artzicat1

Mar 3, 2019
israel
Calibrated the bike and the motor engaged perfectly again, the bike is so much fun and powerful up hill I can live with an occasional reset, it takes 20 seconds.

S13 after you commented on the whine from the rear hub I made a point of trying to notice the same and my bike is absolutely silent when free wheeling, no idea why yours is not.
from my experience i would recommend to do calibration before every ride

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles