SZZS specific CEF50-main thread (initial builds and troubleshooting related only)

ficorama

Oct 9, 2021
Croatia
Alright, alright! Good news for me...a perfect fit. One bling-bling, blue Ti main pivot bolt.👑💎💰🎰. Costs $80, but only 4 days to get to my door.🤛

I figure the shorter black alloy OEM one somehow caught enough of the inside bushing edge to bridge the gap when tightened down.🤯

Now just waiting on my warranty front triangle replacement (days away now), and then I can finally finish the originally intended painted build.

Glad no one else had this type of bad luck with the frame.🍻
View attachment 120144
frame and engine arrived.

first i went to check the pivot bolts. both screws are short 4.5 millimeters. they barely pass 1mm to the other side. I think I will make new ones from the thruaxle.

Lehr

May 18, 2023
China
Ok compromise on your compromise. If you're showing repair photos/videos in this main thread blur or block out your 3rd party logos to prevent advertising and cluttering up this main thread. And minimize future exchanges that distract and thus big down a really long thread!

For newer thread peeps feel free to post here a photo/vid of the build process and an initial quick complete build final buildup photo.

We'll keep this one as the main build, repair, and troubleshooting one.

Please everybody go to the sub thread for cool ride photos and/or vids for the CEF50 of ALL brands.👇

CEF50 Ride Pics and Vids (only)​

It doesn't matter, I'm just confirming that you do advertise for specific traders.

8Grunf

Jan 29, 2024
Italia
Guys, how long does it take for shipping to Europe on your side ? Here it"s been shipped end of Jan, then it arrived in Greece on the 20, 5 days ago, then I only have one log saying the custom has been passed and now nothing.
It still does not show up in the GLS tracking, it's loooooooooooong... was it the same on your side ?
Exactly 2 months, shipped on January 23rd and received by GLS on March 22nd.

Lehr

May 18, 2023
China
1711457918625.png
1711457928101.png

69tr6r

Dec 11, 2023
CT
For the guys that have built these bikes and ridden them a bit. If you could do it all over, would you build this bike again, or purchase a fully built bike from a big bike brand? I ask this because there are some sales going on now, such as this Orbea Rise for $3975 - Orbea Rise H30 20mph E-Bike 2023 | Jenson USA. Seems like that price is getting a lot closer to the DIY Chinese bike. Thanks!

mike_kelly

Subscriber
Aug 11, 2022
US
For the guys that have built these bikes and ridden them a bit. If you could do it all over, would you build this bike again, or purchase a fully built bike from a big bike brand? I ask this because there are some sales going on now, such as this Orbea Rise for $3975 - Orbea Rise H30 20mph E-Bike 2023 | Jenson USA. Seems like that price is getting a lot closer to the DIY Chinese bike. Thanks!
I have previously owned a Rise H30. The CEF50 cost me around $3600 US. I like the CEF50 as well as the RIse but tech support is more difficult. Doable but not as easy as a local shop.
So for me I would recommend the Rise it is a great bike for the same price.

LAnton

May 12, 2022
Russia
exemple (it's the same on all axles). it's broken when i have tried to tighten the swing arm axel to recommended torque (12 nM)
View attachment 137062
It's unpleasant when such little things happen. But they are easy to fix. Well, I bought bolts with a stock for CEF49 and CEF50. There are two versions of bolts with a thin edge and a thick one. Write to Jean, she will send you the bolts.

WhatsApp Image 2024-03-28 at 1.32.11 PM.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2024-03-28 at 1.36.29 PM.jpeg

69tr6r

Dec 11, 2023
CT
I have previously owned a Rise H30. The CEF50 cost me around $3600 US. I like the CEF50 as well as the RIse but tech support is more difficult. Doable but not as easy as a local shop.
So for me I would recommend the Rise it is a great bike for the same price.
After doing some research on the Rise, I am leaning toward building a CEF50. I have most of the parts already since I have a big passion for mountain biking and I'm a bike parts hoarder. Jean has sent me an initial quote - just under $2k shipped with the 48V/700Wh battery. I want to build the lightest bike I can. Which battery should I go with? I plan to do 10-12 mile rides in New England terrain, which is rolling, punchy climbs. Thanks!

mike_kelly

Subscriber
Aug 11, 2022
US
If you have the parts then the CEF50 is a good choice. I got my wife's bike to 39lbs with the 340whr 36v battery. She has ridden 22 miles with 2000ft of constant elevation gain. So for short rides the smaller battery is lighter.

69tr6r

Dec 11, 2023
CT
If you have the parts then the CEF50 is a good choice. I got my wife's bike to 39lbs with the 340whr 36v battery. She has ridden 22 miles with 2000ft of constant elevation gain. So for short rides the smaller battery is lighter.
Thanks @mike_kelly Would a 48v vs 36v battery give me better power? I've asked Jean for the options for batteries.

mike_kelly

Subscriber
Aug 11, 2022
US
Thanks @mike_kelly Would a 48v vs 36v battery give me better power? I've asked Jean for the options for batteries.
THe voltage has nothing to do with power. A 360whr battery has 360whr no matter what the voltage. One concern is an external extender battery. Although SZZS does not offer one it can be purchased from 3rd parties but the frame must be modified to accept a 3rd party external battery connector. The problem is that 36v are common, 48v less common but available and 43v is like from mars, nothing is available.
I have an article here on EMTB about adding an external battery. I have been using mine on my bike and my wifes bike with good results for 6 months. The only caveat is that you need to choose a waterproof right angle connector coming out of the frame that handles 20amps. It must clear your crank arm on the left side and it is handy to choose one that will be a direct swap out for the mounting holes of the original connector.
There are a number of DIY battery builders in this group. @Laton made an external battery fitting in a frame bag. But be aware that you need skill in building electronic components and have the right tools like a battery welder. I have a lot of experience designing and building drones. I was once prying apart a lithium battery case to replace the batteries and my knife tip just touched one of the vacuum bags in a lithium cell. I just barely got it outside before I burned my house down.

Last edited:

69tr6r

Dec 11, 2023
CT
THe voltage has nothing to do with power. A 360whr battery has 360whr no matter what the voltage. One concern is an external extender battery. Although SZZS does not offer one it can be purchased from 3rd parties but the frame must be modified to accept a 3rd party external battery connector. The problem is that 36v are common, 48v less common but available and 43v is like from mars, nothing is available.
I have an article here on EMTB about adding an external battery. I have been using mine on my bike and my wifes bike with good results for 6 months. The only caveat is that you need to choose a waterproof right angle connector coming out of the frame that handles 20amps. It must clear your crank arm on the left side and it is handy to choose one that will be a direct swap out for the mounting holes of the original connector.
There are a number of DIY battery builders in this group. @Laton made an external battery fitting in a frame bag. But be aware that you need skill in building electronic components and have the right tools like a battery welder. I have a lot of experience designing and building drones. I was once prying apart a lithium battery case to replace the batteries and my knife tip just touched one of the vacuum bags in a lithium cell. I just barely got it outside before I burned my house down.
Thanks, and excuse my ignorance. But why would anyone choose 48v instead if 36v if the power is the same?

mike_kelly

Subscriber
Aug 11, 2022
US
Thanks, and excuse my ignorance. But why would anyone choose 48v instead if 36v if the power is the same?
If you were using the same cells a 48v battery would require more cells but that means the pack would have a higher watt hr rating. So given a 3.7v 10000mah cell a 48v would require 13 and a 36v would require 10. You might have enough space in the down tube for a few more cells but not a whole parallel set, that the 36v might require. So the 48v would be 48x10000ma=480whr where the 36x10000=360whr. So you squeeze more time on the trail out of the 48v battery simply because you have to add a few more cells to make 48v. Now this is a simplification you are not going to use 10,000ma cell but a parallel combination to make 10,000ma.
The 48v requires less current to produce the same power so technically the batteries and motor can be made with lighter conductors to make the whole thing lighter. But it is suggested for economy of scale the makers may build for the highest conductor requirement losing that benefit for the higher voltage battery.

Last edited:

Yozha

Sep 10, 2023
Kazakhstan
If you were using the same cells a 48v battery would require more cells but that means the pack would have a higher watt hr rating. So given a 3.7v 10000mah cell a 48v would require 13 and a 36v would require 10. You might have enough space in the down tube for a few more cells but not a whole parallel set, that the 36v might require. So the 48v would be 48x10000ma=480whr where the 36x10000=360whr. So you squeeze more time on the trail out of the 48v battery simply because you have to add a few more cells to make 48v. Now this is a simplification you are not going to use 10,000ma cell but a parallel combination to make 10,000ma.
The 48v requires less current to produce the same power so technically the batteries and motor can be made with lighter conductors to make the whole thing lighter. But it is suggested for economy of scale the makers may build for the highest conductor requirement losing that benefit for the higher voltage battery.
Mike, do you think you can fit a 252*77mm external battery in the frame triangle (I'm planning to build a lightweight bike with a 48 volt battery and extender, but I'm suddenly thinking about the size limitation)...?

mike_kelly

Subscriber
Aug 11, 2022
US
Mike, do you think you can fit a 252*77mm external battery in the frame triangle (I'm planning to build a lightweight bike with a 48 volt battery and extender, but I'm suddenly thinking about the size limitation)...?
Each bike size makes a big difference. My large barely fits my bottle battery. So you need a measure from the size of frame you are using.

Just let us know what size frame you are going use.

Last edited:

Yozha

Sep 10, 2023
Kazakhstan
Each bike size makes a big difference. My large barely fits my bottle battery. So you need a measure from the size of frame you are using.

Just let us know what size frame you are going to use.
My height is 178 cm (legs are short). I haven't decided exactly L or M yet. What do you think is the best frame size (I'm leaning towards M)?

69tr6r

Dec 11, 2023
CT
My height is 178 cm (legs are short). I haven't decided exactly L or M yet. What do you think is the best frame size (I'm leaning towards M)?
I'm the same height with long legs. I prefer a medium size. I've been riding mountain bikes for a long time. New geometry, like this frame, are much larger bikes than even 5 years ago. I also like a smaller feeling bike.

It really is personal preference, especially when you fall between sizes. It would be good if you can test ride a new mtb and see what modern geometry feels like.

I hope that's helps 🤷

mike_kelly

Subscriber
Aug 11, 2022
US
69tr6r is right. With modern geometry the reach is different. I find I would rather have an extra large but the headtube sizes are too small and the reach is too long. So I get a large, to reduce the reach, and extend the headtube . So it is difficult to guess.

Yozha

Sep 10, 2023
Kazakhstan
69tr6r is right. The radius of action is different in modern geometry. I find that I would like to have a very large size, but the steering tube dimensions are too small and the radius of action is too large. So I take the large to reduce the reach and lengthen the steering tube. So it's hard to speculate.
Thanks for the tips guys! My son rides MTB's too, he's growing a bit shorter so far (175cm) and I want him to be comfortable riding (we swap bikes) so yeah, I think I'll go with a size M.

In that case, Mike your thoughts... Will a 252*77mm external battery in the M frame triangle? (from the photo, the smaller battery will fit in your frame).

I want to build a lightweight bike isped with a small battery + external battery. I think the best option is to match 48v 480wh internal battery + external battery. But I'm afraid that 252*77mm will be too big for a size M frame....

p.s.
sorry for my english - a translator is helping me

Last edited:

mike_kelly

Subscriber
Aug 11, 2022
US
Thanks for the tips guys! My son rides MTB's too, he's growing a bit shorter so far (175cm) and I want him to be comfortable riding (we swap bikes) so yeah, I think I'll go with a size M.

In that case, Mike your thoughts... Will a 252*77mm external battery in the M frame triangle? (from the photo, the smaller battery will fit in your frame).

I want to build a lightweight bike isped with a small battery + external battery. I think the best option is to match 48v 480wh internal battery + external battery. But I'm afraid that 252*77mm will be too big for a size M frame....

p.s.
sorry for my english - a translator is helping me
No problem @Yozha, I will measure my wife's medium.

patdam

Jan 17, 2019
france
Hi,

Can you recommend a seller with a complete bike that uses this frame?
Do it my self and it’s too much for me,

Thanks!
CEF50 and M820 provide a very good bike. But I don't think that is a good idea to purchase it if you don't "love" develop, personalize and put hand inside the mechanic. Mostly today with big brands overstock.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles