ICR Headsets for the SZZS-specific CEF50 build

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
Internal Cable Routing (ICR) headsets come stock/OEM on many higher,-end Orbea E-mtbs in the past few years, so now also this is true for the Bafang M820 (close-integrated downtube battery) frames. Consequently, they're new, and traditional manufacturers like Cane Creek and Chris King are not making them yet. So a few of the FSA-type custom ICF are being utilized it seems in both the CEF50 and LCE930.

What are some good upgrades to purchase before installing the cheaper-grade (likely FSA bearings) ICR bearings that might serve as viable alternatives?

I was thinking of just replacing the stock bearings with Enduro headset IS 52/66. But now can't find the 66 mm in the Enduro website. Unless I'm missing it somehow.

Also, I know that there are pros/cons for the ICR system and may serve as " a solution w/o a problem". But unless you intending to drill ports in the frame yourself, for which is an option, probably you have to use the ICR system regardless.

Just exploring options here...
Screenshot_20230413-130159.png

Last edited:

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
I don't know if I understand you correct. Are you saying the head set provided with this frame is not a FSA brand?
Is the FSA Branded one good quality?
No. It's likely decent. It probably has FSA bearings on nonbranded topcap etc. FSA can make both higher end and lower end. I doubt they're higher end. So, better quality is out there than OEM.

Last edited:

temon10

Feb 8, 2022
Malang, Indonesia
Internal Cable Routing (ICR) headsets come stock/OEM on many higher,-end Orbea E-mtbs in the past few years, so now also this is true for the Bafang M820 (close-integrated downtube battery) frames. Consequently, they're new, and traditional manufacturers like Cane Creek and Chris King are not making them yet. So a few of the FSA-type custom ICF are being utilized it seems in both the CEF50 and LCE930.

What are some good upgrades to purchase before installing the cheaper-grade (likely FSA bearings) ICR bearings that might serve as viable alternatives?

I was thinking of just replacing the stock bearings with Enduro headset IS 52/66. But now can't find the 66 mm in the Enduro website. Unless I'm missing it somehow.

Also, I know that there are pros/cons for the ICR system and may serve as " a solution w/o a problem". But unless you intending to drill ports in the frame yourself, for which is an option, probably you have to use the ICR system regardless.

Just exploring options here...
View attachment 111507
did u find aliexpress link for this headset?

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
The German company Acros makes higher quality bearings with their headsets.
Here's a link for the upper 52:.

Last edited:

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
And here's a Across link for a 66 lower headset:

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
Does anyone have experience with Acros bearings? And compared to the gold standard Enduro bearings (currently Enduro makes no lowers in 66 mm)?

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
Ritchey offers a one cable headset under the same name in the US the Logic-E but I don't see the two cable. Now that I think about it us mechanicals will need three cable holes.
Could drill out one more port? Or just slot it with Dremel type Mimi cutter? Plastic insert?

mike_kelly

Subscriber
Aug 11, 2022
US
It looks like the one supplied is like that. I wanted to use the Ritchey to get a tighter seal around the cables. Will have to see what is possible.
I know. I just got an idea. Run the ables outside the frame and no water can get in. I may have to patent the idea!

mike_kelly

Subscriber
Aug 11, 2022
US
Sometimes I see us going backward. We have good drive trains and they we have to go to 12 speed which does not shift as well and the parts are two thin and break. For absolutely why the change? Consumers don't do their homework and say NO! Unfortunately we don't get a choice because the vendors feel everyone will run out and want pretty mountain bikes, the bkes used in the dirt right? I just am too old I think.
No we get to get all new drivetrains because SRAM and SHimano have figured out how to make them 1% better and at the same time put their competition like Microshift out of business.
No! I have bought spares for my 11s Deore drivetrains and to heck with them all.

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
So, no e-shifting 4 you then?

At least you're open to the ICR headset and plan on not drilling side holes into your newly painted CEF50 frame!😆

mike_kelly

Subscriber
Aug 11, 2022
US
No e-shifting. Now you see why Shim wanted a "more durable" drivetrain so it can survive auto-shifting under extreme load.
Duck tape for my cables on the outside. But cool sparkle gold duck tape :)

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
I went with an Acros 66 bottom headset from Ridewill.com $65. And Enduro 52 top headset bearings from Modernbike.com $36. So, I'll use the stock top-cap with IRC. Total upgrade is $100 for heavy duty bearings.

mike_kelly

Subscriber
Aug 11, 2022
US
Are you sure you got the bearing chamfer right and the height? I don't know if the supplied cup use 30d or 45d bearings.nor how high the bears are

mike_kelly

Subscriber
Aug 11, 2022
US
I don't know where they found the headset they use. I can't find any like it anywhere.
The chamfer used is all over the map plus the height can differ within brands.
Just have to figure it out I guess after it comes.

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
I don't know where they found the headset they use. I can't find any like it anywhere.
The chamfer used is all over the map plus the height can differ withing brands.
Yeah, hoping I didn't waste $35-100 for upgrade.🤞

But given that once the rear brake cable is fed through it and bled on the intial build, I was willing to risk fitment for a higher quality upgrade.... especially overforking it a bit. 🤔

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
Wow! Less than a week from Italy. Update. I ordered just 4 days ago! FedEx was only choice!

Acros 66 bottom headset...I guess it's the new "oversized" headset to allow for more cable routing space?

And crap...It's big!

Used my teacup for size context!

PXL_20230419_205957014.jpg
PXL_20230419_205847216.jpg
PXL_20230419_205902702.jpg

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles