[BUILD] CEF50 Custom (former budget) Build

un..inc

Jun 13, 2023
Germany
Hi there...
As I'm getting older and have less time for mountain biking due to family, voluntary work and my job, some time ago I felt the need for electric assistance so that I wouldn't be knocked out three days later after an afternoon on the bike with my mates...
However, I don't want to roll through the forest on a 26-kilo armoured bike, I want to do something for the descents.
So it should be a light eBike.
When I started looking into the subject just under a year ago, light eBikes with attractive specs were still in price ranges that seemed absolutely out of the question for me personally.
After importing and building a Carbonda frame directly from China for my better one a few years ago, it was obvious to look over the big wall.
I then came across the CEF50 frame via this forum, which ultimately won the race against the Lightcarbon LCE930.

To cut a long story short: the customised frame will be shipped this week and 95% of the components are already in my basement.
I would like to document the assembly process here over the coming weeks and share it with you.
Photos of the components will be added bit by bit. 😁

Ksem07

Mar 2, 2024
Belgium
Hi there...
As I'm getting older and have less time for mountain biking due to family, voluntary work and my job, some time ago I felt the need for electric assistance so that I wouldn't be knocked out three days later after an afternoon on the bike with my mates...
However, I don't want to roll through the forest on a 26-kilo armoured bike, I want to do something for the descents.
When I started looking into the subject just under a year ago, light eBikes with attractive specs were still in price ranges that seemed absolutely out of the question for me personally.
After importing and building a Carbonda frame directly from China for my better one a few years ago, it was obvious to look over the big wall.
I then came across the CEF50 frame via this forum, which ultimately won the race against the Lightcarbon LCE930.

To cut a long story short: the customised frame will be shipped this week and 95% of the components are already in my basement.
I would like to document the assembly process here over the coming weeks and share it with you.
This is incredibly cool! I wish you the best of luck with your build and am eager to follow your progress. As a newcomer dipping my toes into bike building, I’m starting with a heavier build myself, which I’m also documenting.

For my next project, I’m considering a lightweight model too. Your journey is truly fascinating!

un..inc

Jun 13, 2023
Germany
1000074226.jpg

Starting with propably the last nukeproof pedals I'll ever own...

un..inc

Jun 13, 2023
Germany
Good luck with your build! One tip with those pedals, put some locktite and thighten the pins. I lost two pins when I didn't. Otherwise fantastic pedals.
thanks for the tip, i will check EVERY screw connection on ALL components anyway and treat them with LocTite.

Congrats. enjoy your build.
Just wondering. What made you choose CEF50 over LCE930?

I had already written a post on this some time ago... I'll just quote myself here ;)

I was faced with the same decision and am about to order a CEF50.
The following factors convinced me:

Price (also price of the paintwork)
Weight
Magnet position
Complete package (frame, motor, battery)
contact
"Standard" cable routing possible on request

Yes, the LCE930 looks better, but the overall package makes me lean towards the CEF50.
All the components are already at home, only the frame, motor and battery are still missing ;)

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Hi there...

My Levo was the first off the peg bike i had bought for many years. Four bikes before that were all frame only then custom built with good spec . I had a pal a dealer so I got some good deals and he knew all the good stuff.

un..inc

Jun 13, 2023
Germany
Although I'm actually an ERGON guy, I opted for DMR Deathgrip grips for this setup. Again, the price was very good, so the decision was easy.
1000074224.jpg

un..inc

Jun 13, 2023
Germany
How long from when you placed the order did the frame ship?
Unfortunately it was Chinese New Year between the order and shipping, so that's probably not a benchmark.

Now it is on the ship, which is NOT going through the red sea due to the Yemen conflict, so it will take even longer... :(

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles