ICR Headsets for the SZZS-specific CEF50 build

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
The cup should not need to be glued in. The ZS zero stack cup presses in like any other pressed in cup. Then the bearing just drops in. The only reason that the cup might be glued in is that the headtube is not properly round etc.
I would inquire to szzs as to why it was glued in and what kind of glue was used rather than ripping up the headtube trying to get it out :)
Or the bearing is just out of spec. Going from memory here. But when I put the SZZS bearing cup in on my painted frame a little while back, I greased it then press fit by hand fairly easily (easier than the first stock ICR cup). Plus, it popped out very easily when I did the ICR frame conversion last week.

I had to tap in the Hope upper headset bearing cup with a piece of 2x4 wood laid flat and tapped it in with light to medium effort. To me that was good sign of precision fitment.👍

But yeah, I'd be hesitant to tap out the glued headset too. The good news is voigtkampff said he had success with fairly minimal effort removing his.

Unfortunately, there might be a tipping point where one might have to risk it 🤔

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
Additionally, some members have mentioned the cup is plastic which i have to admit i did not notice. I would say flex in that cup is probably most to blame.
Mine was definitely aluminum. I got one of the first upgraded ICR headsets in October...so maybe they changed it up when they decided to glue the cups in. Very strange overall.🧐

Last edited:

Smitty

Apr 10, 2024
United states
Mine was definitely aluminum. I got one the first upgraded ICR headsets in October...so maybe they changed it up when they decided to glue the cups in. Very strange overall.🧐
Mine is aluminum as well. I received I believe the second integration of the headset. Not the most recent one with 4 individual holes. My bearing measures just under 52mm all around then the cup is all out of whack. I messaged the seller to see what they say but with shipping times I would prefer to knock it out and replace it with a nukeproof.

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
Mine is aluminum as well. I received I believe the second integration of the headset. Not the most recent one with 4 individual holes. My bearing measures just under 52mm all around then the cup is all out of whack. I messaged the seller to see what they say but with shipping times I would prefer to knock it out and replace it with a nukeproof.
Yeah, Mike Kelly and a few others are successfully using the entire NP upper headset assembly...so far no complaints have been voiced 💪

voigtkampff

Oct 18, 2023
Poland
Additionally, some members have mentioned the cup is plastic which i have to admit i did not notice. I would say flex in that cup is probably most to blame.
mine was aluminum one. I'm very doubtful about plastic cup, this would probably bend flex and break when tightening the preload screw. Maybe you've mistaken it with the info about the cone, which is plastic (PTFE)?

Smitty

Apr 10, 2024
United states
Just a small update if anyone is interested. I purchased a headset cup removal tool and it knocked out very easily. There was a little adhesive on the cup but nothing too excessive. I'm just waiting on the new headset. I'll let everyone know how the nukeproof install goes when I have it!

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
Just a small update if anyone is interested. I purchased a headset cup removal tool and it knocked out very easily. There was a little adhesive on the cup but nothing too excessive. I'm just waiting on the new headset. I'll let everyone know how the nukeproof install goes when I have it!
All right. Bravely done!💪

92se-r

Dec 23, 2023
United states
mine was aluminum one. I'm very doubtful about plastic cup, this would probably bend flex and break when tightening the preload screw. Maybe you've mistaken it with the info about the cone, which is plastic (PTFE)?
You might be right. Many members here do not speak english as native language so they might have meant the split ring.

Good news on the cup coming out. I might just suck it up and try tonight. I have a new cane creek waiting. I still have suspicion these are cheap crap bearings. The new bearing i got also seems to have play.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles