Poor man's light E-MTB :D - LCE930 18.6kG

borysgo2

Feb 1, 2023
Ireland
Hi
I have ordered LCE930 frame in March and finally got all bits and pieces to put it back together. Bike came out at 18.65Kg with no pedals.
Had some minor issues during the build but got it sorted. M820 motor had 36V firmware instead of 43V, got helped and managed to flash proper one.
Most of the time I was experimenting with speed sensor, after a few setups, came up with mounting the speed sensor bolted to one of the pivot bolts (drilled and tapped M3) and 3mm diameter neo-magnet stuffed into the brake disc. Speed sensor cable had to be extended by about 50mm. Now speed is reading without any errors (slow and fast - 100% accurate).

First ride:
Got about 17,5km done, mostly in S and S+ mode, ended up with 55% battery left. I weight about 90kG so IMHO it is a good result.
M820 motor have some high pitch noise character but it is quiet and not disturbing, power delivery is nice and smooth.
LCE930 frame is very good quality, all tolerances, finish, Enduro bearings, fitting kit - very happy with all that (maybe I will replace headset top cap in future). During the ride frame is absolutely quiet, no noises, creaks, smooth ride. Rear suspension is rather on active side but does not blow through the travel too quick. I have putt 170mm Liryk up front which resulted in about 63,5DEG head tube angle. Size L frame have reach about 480mm but in real life bike feels kind of short. Frame is stiff and I can feel that straight away, big difference in compare to Rise I have. Overall very happy with the project, highly recommended.

Total cost about 4,5k EUR.

Regards
Peter

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg 9.jpg 10.jpg 12.jpg 13.jpg 15.jpg 16.jpg 17.jpg 18.jpg 19.jpg 28.jpg 31.jpg 33.jpg

clix

Jul 24, 2022
EU
Did you make the battery yourself?
Considering the weight, I would assume so? How big is it?

clix

Jul 24, 2022
EU
Wow, very impressive weigth for stock 410wh battery!
Mine is cca 21kg without pedals(and a bit of mud :)) , built for the same price. But with a coil shock and heavier wheels and tyres. :)

Freda

Feb 5, 2023
Vaasa
Hi! Nice bike, I am interested in how you attached the speed sensor. I can see some of it in the pictures, but did you drill into the frame pivot bolt?

borysgo2

Feb 1, 2023
Ireland
Hi! Nice bike, I am interested in how you attached the speed sensor. I can see some of it in the pictures, but did you drill into the frame pivot bolt?
Yes, pivot bolt is drilled and tapped with M3 thread. Sensor must be sanded down a bit to fitt in. Sensor cable must be extended about 40 to 60mm. Now the ori big magnet was causing erratic speed reading when wheel was spinning slow display was showing about 65km/h. 3mm neo magnet is working perfect. Easiest way is to drill 2,5mm diameter hole through the disc and than drill 3mm about 90% thickness of the disc, so the magnet will not go through.

borysgo2

Feb 1, 2023
Ireland
Small update.
Fenders are on --> RRP Mudguard
Headset replaced with acros is52 - fits nicely, cables are well sealed, there is also more room for them because inner diameter of acros bearings is larger than the stock ones. There is extra seal at the headset top cover and fork race (well designed).

Regards

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg

borysgo2

Feb 1, 2023
Ireland
is52 headset from acros needs 3 part numbers:

1. Cover

2. Crown race 1,5''

3. Bearing set is52/is52.

4. Optional get extra compression ring.

borysgo2

Feb 1, 2023
Ireland
Today I had to remove the motor to check all connections (have some not charging issues) and found that the front bolt holding the motor have a bad tolerance on non drive side, as a result motor was not secured properly + hade some loud click noise every so often. Pictures will tell more than a 1000 words. Just filed down one of the spacer a bit and all is OK now.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg

brbr

Dec 28, 2022
France
Today I had to remove the motor to check all connections (have some not charging issues) and found that the front bolt holding the motor have a bad tolerance on non drive side, as a result motor was not secured properly + hade some loud click noise every so often. Pictures will tell more than a 1000 words. Just filed down one of the spacer a bit and all is OK now.

View attachment 128301 View attachment 128302 View attachment 128303
Interesting, I’ll check next time I will remove the motor!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles