Orbea Rise M20 Bikester or M10 LBS (Warranty)

Flux

Aug 24, 2021
Belgium
Good evening all,

I am in need of some advice.

After a heart condition last year I upgraded my bikes to e-bikes.
I bought a Levo comp 2020 (LBS) and a Focus Parallane 9.8 via bike-discount.de
Most of my bike rides are on the e-mtb with non e-bike friends so I have it tuned to the lowest setting (5%)
Setting it any lower is simply not possible.

So I am looking to sell the Levo and buy an Orbea Rise in stead.
I was leaning towards the M20 as this is having nearly the same components as my Levo comp and is 1700€ less than the M10.
I have seen post stating that the M10 is worth the price, however for me those components are not "needed".

There was an M20 available via bikester, so I hit the buy button, but I did not yet wire the money over to them.
I am reluctant of purchasing there after reading the reviews concerning warranty via Bikester as well as warranty via Orbea.

As I stated above, I already bought a bike online via bike-discount.de and my experience with that was horrible! (Nearly all components of the fazua system have been replaced after 1year, but that story deserves its own post.)

Now my LBS also has an M10 in my size in stock, ordering an M20 with them has a deliverydate of januari.
That date will make it more difficult to sell my Levo.

So my questions are:

1. Will it be worth it changing my Levo to the Orbea?
2. Should I buy via Bikester and hope there is nothing wrong with the bike, and do maintanance myself? Or is any Orbea dealer obliged to help out?
3. Should I buy the M10 via my LBS?
4. Are there any buyers for my Levo 2020 comp? What price should I be looking at? It retailed at 6199€, but a month later the same bike was 6999€.

Questions, Questions,

So, thanks for sharing your point of view!

Pdoz

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 16, 2019
Maffra Victoria Australia
Have you asked your lbs what it would take for them to do warranty work on a bike bought elsewhere?
Use the delivery delay - you would love to buy from them ...

You could start by donating the " discount" bikester is giving when they don't include warranty losses in the purchase price? Don't use phrases like "dealer obliged to help out" ?

soundwave

May 13, 2020
Helsinki, Finland
I bought my M10 from bikester. As I understand the frame is guaranteed by Orbea once you register your bike. The components are standard so easy to fix anywhere. I had no other choice to buy online djring the spring, since local bike shops had no Rises and were not getting any over here.

Flux

Aug 24, 2021
Belgium
Thanks for your replies.

I indeed talked to the LBS about taking over the bike. The response was kind of expected. They do have agreements with other LBS in the vicinity to transfer warranty cases. However they called the on-line stores "box"-shufflers, and they do not have -or make- agreements with them.So they stated, we will not be able to provide you with the same service, if you ordered online.

Best we can do is give you a januari date of arrival for another color.

As we are talking +6000€ and e-bikes are prone to have battery / motor problems, I am wary of that.

Flux

Aug 24, 2021
Belgium
Actually, I did not. Thanks for pointing that out.
I guess some of the bad reviews come from the fact that that way of working opens the door for discussions, as bikester did not investigate themselves...

Perhaps I will talk to another LBS and see if they are willing to do the work on it. As the former LBS didn't seem to be really interested.

Tonybro

🦾 The Bionic Man 🦿
Subscriber
Jan 15, 2021
Lancashire
My LBS are not an Orbea dealer but they are a Shimano Service Centre. They were very keen to check over the Rise when I got it as they don't sell them! :) As I got mine from Bikester, they also swapped the brakes over to the UK setup (front on right). They will look at any motor issues and will be replacing the small wireless connector with the E800 display for me.

Very helpful.

I do have an Orbea dealer about an hour away but dealing with them (original order was with them) was not great unfortunately.

Jeffsy29

May 6, 2020
Rockville MD
My wife just received her M10 last month and loves it!

1. Will it be worth it changing my Levo to the Orbea?
* Can't comment on this first-hand experience, but there is very little in the Levo SLs favor over the Orbea on paper. Orbea has more modern geo and way better components value for the $. Same weight, more torque....plenty of range. It feels like a heavy analog bike when you ride it motor off. My wife test rode a Levo SL and loves her Orbea.

2. Should I buy via Bikester and hope there is nothing wrong with the bike, and do maintanance myself? Or is any Orbea dealer obliged to help out?
* I vote for LBS when possible. I'd hope for our sake that an Orbea dealer (even if not purchased from) would help connect you with Orbea warranty support.

3. Should I buy the M10 via my LBS?
* Again - If LBS has the M10 in stock...go for it and RIDE! Why wait? The M10 is very much worth it's price delta. We were on the fence between M10 and M20. It's not marked up...that's the component value delta cost even purchased at market price. They're all certainly "nice to haves" but the suspension alone is much more sophisticated damping. In today's market, you'd get most of your money back on resale likely. If you can afford it, don't hesitate. Also, maybe ask for a little help in a discount from your LBS, you never know what they might throw at you.

M20 vs. M10.png

Reactions: Roc

Flux

Aug 24, 2021
Belgium
Thanks! Very valuable input.

I was wondering in which currency that list is. I assume pounds? In € the hard difference on retail price is: 1700€.
If it is in dollar, things might look a little different. Retail price for the M10 is 8k which makes it around $9,5k for the M20 that is $7,4k. The difference is $2k. Now I do not know if those parts ramp up to euro the same way the bike did…

In the mean time I received my M10 from my local LBS yesterday. They have spent 2hours setting up the bike with me. I received a digital measurement and explanation. They did thow in the extender for free. All in all it feels the M10 was the correct choic to make.

Today will be my first real ride with it. Really exited!

Now I still need to sell my Levo. (Not SL but the FF)

cheers!

Last edited:

Jeffsy29

May 6, 2020
Rockville MD
Thanks! Very valuable input.

I was wondering in which currency that list is. I assume pounds? In € the hard difference on retail price is: 1700€.
If it is in dollar, things might look a little different. Retail price for the M10 is 8k which makes it around $9,5k for the M20 that is $7,4k. The difference is $2k. Now I do not know if those parts ramp up to euro the same way the bike did…

In the mean time I received my M10 from my local LBS yesterday. They have spent 2hours setting up the bike with me. I received a digital measurement and explanation. They did thow in the extender for free. All in all it feels the M10 was the correct choic to make.

Today will be my first real ride with it. Really exited!

Now I still need to sell my Levo. (Not SL but the FF)

cheers!

Congratulations!!! Be happy to have a bike under your seat...many are waiting still. And a fantastic one at that.

The above pricing was in USD, sorry didn't specify I should on this forum.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles