Orbea rise m20 fork upgrade

Vwrise

Jun 15, 2021
Nottingham
Hi guys
I’m considering upgrading my folks as I don’t think the fox 34 140mm can hack it under the rough stuff, has any Upgraded to rockshock lyric select 150 mm travel?
I had these in 160mm form on my last bike and the were fab .
Cheers

InRustWeTrust

E*POWAH Master
Mar 9, 2020
Sweden
You should be aware that you change the geometry of the bike if you change to a 150/160mm fork. Having slack angles is one thing, but if a bike is not designed to have such slack angles you can lose front wheel.

Before you mess your bike up I'd ask yourself exactly what proportion of your riding would benefit from the change. Very steep and fast/hairy – a typical ride for me would have just one or two little bits like that. Through the singletrack and twisty twisty – loads more of that, maybe fifty times more. Climbing – loads of that too

DarrenCC

Apr 3, 2021
Hertfordshire
Hi guys
I’m considering upgrading my folks as I don’t think the fox 34 140mm can hack it under the rough stuff, has any Upgraded to rockshock lyric select 150 mm travel?
I had these in 160mm form on my last bike and the were fab .
Cheers
Try talking things through first with your folks, they might be shocked to find you upgrading them.

I changed my stock handlebar for a higher rise bar which felt much better but when I changed the fork to an X-Fusion Trace 36 at 160mm travel, I was surprised at just how different the front end felt. At first I thought I should lower the bars but after a couple of rides I’m used to it. Big improvement

Vwrise

Jun 15, 2021
Nottingham
Try talking things through first with your folks, they might be shocked to find you upgrading them.

I changed my stock handlebar for a higher rise bar which felt much better but when I changed the fork to an X-Fusion Trace 36 at 160mm travel, I was surprised at just how different the front end felt. At first I thought I should lower the bars but after a couple of rides I’m used to it. Big improvement
Thanks for your reply, I just don’t want to make the bike worse and it’s not a cheap upgrade either. If it makes a improvement then I don’t mind the out lay.

Scford

Feb 10, 2021
Santa Cruz
Thanks for the reply , like inrustwetrust also said has it upset the geometry of the bike ? Cheers

it changes the geo but that’s a big reason I did it, I wanted to slacken the bike out a little more. Most of my trails are steep and technical, so I prefer a taller front end and slacker head angle. The m10 comes with a 150 fork at 65.5 so a 160 doesn’t make that drastic of a change imo. Changes the head angle to 65.1, I think it feels great but that’s what I was after. My regular bike is a sb130 which has the same head angle geo and I run that with a 160 too.

Vwrise

Jun 15, 2021
Nottingham
it changes the geo but that’s a big reason I did it, I wanted to slacken the bike out a little more. Most of my trails are steep and technical, so I prefer a taller front end and slacker head angle. The m10 comes with a 150 fork at 65.5 so a 160 doesn’t make that drastic of a change imo. Changes the head angle to 65.1, I think it feels great but that’s what I was after. My regular bike is a sb130 which has the same head angle geo and I run that with a 160 too.
I don’t mind it being little more slack, but wasn’t sure weather to go with a 150mm or 160mm on the rockshox Lyrik select

Shjay

Apr 30, 2019
Kent
The M20 comes stock at 140mm travel with a fox34 the M10 150mm fox 36 so going 150mm is NO issue as some others have stated & wont effect the handling drastically I also expect the Fox34 at 150 will have a shorter axle to crown then Fox36 at 150, I am running a manitou Mezzer Pro at 160 on the front of my M20

Vwrise

Jun 15, 2021
Nottingham
The M20 comes stock at 140mm travel with a fox34 the M10 150mm fox 36 so going 150mm is NO issue as some others have stated & wont effect the handling drastically I also expect the Fox34 at 150 will have a shorter axle to crown then Fox36 at 150, I am running a manitou Mezzer Pro at 160 on the front of my M20
How you finding the 160mm on front? Did you keep your fox 34 or did you manage to sell them ?

Shjay

Apr 30, 2019
Kent
Yes I am finding the fork great 👍🏼 am running 140mm coil on the rear, it’s a fantastic bike, a lot of past bikes I have owned have always had more travel on front than rear have tried a long shock but was a Rockshox Monach plus no where near as good as my TTX coil & like the bike as a 29er

Vwrise

Jun 15, 2021
Nottingham
Yes I am finding the fork great 👍🏼 am running 140mm coil on the rear, it’s a fantastic bike, a lot of past bikes I have owned have always had more travel on front than rear have tried a long shock but was a Rockshox Monach plus no where near as good as my TTX coil & like the bike as a 29er
Thanks for your input 👍

Shjay

Apr 30, 2019
Kent
I sold my fox34 brand new unridden as already have forks etc which is why I bought the M20 as I was swapping most stuff out & selling on

DarrenCC

Apr 3, 2021
Hertfordshire
I sold my Fox 34 for £430 at 6months old. Great fork but it was near it’s limit on chunky rocky descents with a 14 1/2 stone rider. I previously had a 150mm Fox 34 on my Levo SL and wouldn’t recommend it. Less bushing overlap made a flexy fork even flexier when pushed hard. The way I see it, if you are going for more travel get a fork with a larger chassis, 36mm or bigger. I know the Pike and Lyrik are great forks too but at only 1mm extra diameter over the Fox 34 I felt I wanted more. Size matters right? I was going to go Mezzer but got a killer deal on the Trace 36

Vwrise

Jun 15, 2021
Nottingham
I sold my Fox 34 for £430 at 6months old. Great fork but it was near it’s limit on chunky rocky descents with a 14 1/2 stone rider. I previously had a 150mm Fox 34 on my Levo SL and wouldn’t recommend it. Less bushing overlap made a flexy fork even flexier when pushed hard. The way I see it, if you are going for more travel get a fork with a larger chassis, 36mm or bigger. I know the Pike and Lyrik are great forks too but at only 1mm extra diameter over the Fox 34 I felt I wanted more. Size matters right? I was going to go Mezzer but got a killer deal on the Trace 36
Thanks for your input, where did you sell forks was it on eBay ?

Vwrise

Jun 15, 2021
Nottingham
Yes, look out for regular eBay offers on reduced selling fees. It makes selling bikes and more expensive things way more attractive than their normal higher fees
Thanks will do, just found this seems a very good deal or they have the ultimate at £721 🤔

3D481C58-A2AB-4972-AA35-9A55F507B07D.png

Vwrise

Jun 15, 2021
Nottingham
If you are in the uk be wary of co.uk websites based in mainland Europe. There will be associated fees to consider. I was looking long and hard at getting a fork from starbike but backed away from the import arse-ache
Thanks for the advice, I suppose if anything goes wrong with it you’ve got the hassle with it be in overseas. I’ll keep looking

Obikaii

Jan 10, 2022
Devon
Thanks will do, just found this seems a very good deal or they have the ultimate at £721 🤔

View attachment 81779
I swaped out the 140mm factory 34's on mine for a Lyrik ultimate 150mm,only 3 rides in but I've found the Lyrik to be a great fork,they even feel much better than the pair of Fox 36 factory I have on my Bronson.
Bought mine with the bike from Sigma Sports,not sure if they have any left,they were on offer for £720.

Vwrise

Jun 15, 2021
Nottingham
I swaped out the 140mm factory 34's on mine for a Lyrik ultimate 150mm,only 3 rides in but I've found the Lyrik to be a great fork,they even feel much better than the pair of Fox 36 factory I have on my Bronson.
Bought mine with the bike from Sigma Sports,not sure if they have any left,they were on offer for £720.
Right I’ll check them out as that’s a great price, how does the bike feel with the extra 10mm in height ?

Shjay

Apr 30, 2019
Kent
I don’t totally agree with that video, that Angle set will increase wheelbase & slacken head angle but the headset is external & 10mm thick so will surely lower the front end by 1mm not 11mm

Obikaii

Jan 10, 2022
Devon
Right I’ll check them out as that’s a great price, how does the bike feel with the extra 10mm in height ?
Feels great,i suppose as they do make them with either 140mm or 150mm forks, it should feel good with either.
As for a direct comparison I couldn't say as I've never ridden it on the 140mm fork.
Gotta say I've never enjoyed a new bike as much as the Rise,its a proper weapon,its exceeded my expectations.
For reference I'm coming from analogue bikes,only riden a few full fats briefly & they were never in the equation, far to heavy,but the Rise is perfect,feels like an analogue bike,just happens to have a motor,I'm still quite fit so it works very well for me.

kenevonaive

Mar 13, 2020
California USA
Here in SF bayarea I ride a lot of tight switchbacks and prefer to keep my M20 (trail mode)with the stock 140 ,
i've tried 160 mm,front does not stick to the ground when climbing steep grades. Just depends on your riding style and experience,good luck.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles