Orbea Rise M10 Fail

Weezerj

Jul 27, 2021
Washington State
Well crap..bike is 2 months old. I was riding down walking path heading to the trail when I have massive component failure....the damn derailleur came completely off the bike, pulling out spokes and cracking the frame....damn my luck.

I really don't think I hit anything and the bike was shifting perfectly right before....wish I knew what happened.

Any chance this will be covered by warranty?

20210903_120649.jpg

20210903_120713.jpg

20210903_125448.jpg

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Did the derrailuer hanger not come off? They are designed to fail in a bad enough impact so as to avoid damaging the frame.

Cant see how that would have happened without some sort of impact, but would definitely take to dealer as from the pics (which aren that clear of the hanger) it seems odd it didn't fail as designed.

Ducman71

Apr 8, 2021
Orange County, CA
That is very, very odd. Are you sure that nothing got caught in the chain and sucked into the derailleur, like a small branch that got kicked up or something? Hangers are designed to bend laterally (if the derailleur gets hit), but in this case it looks like the hanger rotated axially around the axle, as if something caused the derailleur to lock up while pedaling at high speed.

Ducman71

Apr 8, 2021
Orange County, CA
Had you made any adjustments to the B-screw on the derailleur? Also, your drivetrain is pretty clean, but I do notice a little rust/corrosion on the cassette and chain; is there any chance the jockey wheel bearings had ingested some water and seized or were not running smoothly? When in the smallest cog, there is not much clearance between the cog, the upper jockey wheel, and the chain running below the upper jockey wheel. It would not take much movement to result in interference there. Anyway, it looks to me like the derailleur got sucked into the cassette and spun back. How hard were you pedaling at the time?

Weezerj

Jul 27, 2021
Washington State
Had you made any adjustments to the B-screw on the derailleur? Also, your drivetrain is pretty clean, but I do notice a little rust/corrosion on the cassette and chain; is there any chance the jockey wheel bearings had ingested some water and seized or were not running smoothly? When in the smallest cog, there is not much clearance between the cog, the upper jockey wheel, and the chain running below the upper jockey wheel. It would not take much movement to result in interference there. Anyway, it looks to me like the derailleur got sucked into the cassette and spun back. How hard were you pedaling at the time?

About 2 weeks ago I had to adjust shifting, but after that everything was very smooth, single shifts, no noise.

I was in eco mode, not pedaling very hard at all.

Ducman71

Apr 8, 2021
Orange County, CA
When you say you adjusted the shifting, was that just the cable tension you changed, or did you adjust the B-screw or limit screws on the derailleur as well?

Ducman71

Apr 8, 2021
Orange County, CA
Here's the derailleur manual for reference: https://si.shimano.com/pdfs/dm/DM-MARD001-02-ENG.pdf What I'm calling the B-screw is what Shimano calls the 'end adjustment screw'. You set the adjustment for that screw in the largest cog, but of course it impacts the derailleur position (clearance to the cogs) in all gear positions. There is usually no need to touch that screw once it is properly set (which it should have been when the bike was delivered).

Schnipps

May 12, 2021
Newcastle
Unfortunately might struggle with warranty because to a 3rd party it looks like a crash or accident damage. Regardless of if it was or not they might not agree. How the heck does that happen just riding normally, crazy.

b33k34

Apr 15, 2021
UK
Ow. Ow. Ow.

That's really unlucky. One of the big issues with e-bikes (in my experience) is that if a stick goes into the mech you either don't feel it in the way you do on an unpowered bike, or even if you and stop pedalling immediately then the motor overrun means you can still easily destroy the mech. I've seen it happen repeatedly. I was really lucky with mine and it badly bent the hanger but left all else ok. Your hanger still looks straight (but I'd guess there must have been a load of bending force to damage the frame like that)

Yours is odd in that it's not even the place those XT mechs normally snap (when I've seen it the cage bends out of shape before any links snap, and there did seem to be a batch where the main front link plate failed). That seat stay is ****** though - I reckon you're hoping for a goodwill contribution/crash replacement from Orbea. Really unlucky.

Weezerj

Jul 27, 2021
Washington State
That seat stay is ****** though - I reckon you're hoping for a goodwill contribution/crash replacement from Orbea. Really unlucky.

Tell me about it....I'm 14 days from a ride at Tahoe. Luckily I have a good friend with a spare bike to ride.

You'd think if not covered by warranty they would at least offer stay, derailleur, and wheel at cost?

thx138

Jun 28, 2021
US
The big issue will be the seat stay, will they sell one or make you buy a full rear triangle? The wheel just needs new spokes right?

Gavalar

Feb 4, 2019
UK
Well crap..bike is 2 months old. I was riding down walking path heading to the trail when I have massive component failure....the damn derailleur came completely off the bike, pulling out spokes and cracking the frame....damn my luck.

I really don't think I hit anything and the bike was shifting perfectly right before....wish I knew what happened.

Any chance this will be covered by warranty?

View attachment 70970

View attachment 70971

View attachment 70972
Riding down a walking path and.your bike broke, that's karma.

Ducman71

Apr 8, 2021
Orange County, CA
Wow, awesome! I have to say, that is unexpectedly generous from Orbea. And any warranty for failure of parts that are supplied by a 3rd party (Shimano for the drivetrain/brakes/motor, Race Face for the wheels, and so on) is always up to each supplier, not the bike manufacturer.

jim0905

Dec 10, 2020
West Yorkshire
My mates Shimano mech snapped in exactly the same spot as yours while he was just riding along. Got a way with less damge than you mind
269F4820-46C2-40C0-9DC9-8189B68B0D51.jpeg

b45her

Dec 1, 2019
wales
I'm so glad a rag the poop out of my bikes, seems t be the only thing that stops them breaking.
I'm never going to ride gently down a canal path because it appears that bikes only seem to catastrophically fail while pootling to the shops.

Chicane

Nov 11, 2020
SoCal
Reckon an ally frame would have survived better? I never really understood the rationale for carbon frames on e-bikes.
It’s easy to understand when you ride this bike at 41 pounds and then realize that it brakes and changes direction much like my 27-29 pound bikes.

Weezerj

Jul 27, 2021
Washington State
Update: Orbea replaced seat and chain stay free of charge...but new rear wheel, derailleur and labor were on me....$600 out the door.

Edit: forgot to mention I needed a new chain as well

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles