Orbea Rise Custom M10

BobR

Apr 14, 2021
Florida
I’m fitter than most guys I ride with, certainly a higher percentage of those on ebikes. They want to boost around all day, and I need to be in boost to keep up. Range on a full boost day is only like 3600 feet, which is only an hour and a half where I’m riding. They’re good for another 2k after my battery is toast. Unless I’m on a time crunch ride, I generally don’t bother riding E unless I’m gonna go 5k+.

I didn’t buy the Rise to ride with that crowd, knowing full well that a smaller battery and a detuned motor means that they either have to chill or I’m riding solo or with SL friends. I guess YMMV, but in my experience, 25nm does not equal 10lbs.

For reference, I’m 170lb with gear, and my M10 weighs about 43lb. Pretty much stock except for tires and Cush Core rear. Probably about 600g over the stock build.
I agree with you that if you are just consider the bike alone that they are not close and that 30 nm of extra torque is more power than a 10lb difference... to our collective point the weight of the rider and the shape of the rider have a lot to do with it?

jimsantos

Dec 14, 2020
California
Not sure if anyone’s mentioned this yet but ST Unlocker app seems to allow upping torque to “full power” aka 85nm torque. I haven’t actually tried it myself yet though!

8B86B7A5-7DFC-4850-8AB3-8AA4AEEB4B79.png

BobR

Apr 14, 2021
Florida
This might be something I might use later in life but the trails I have ridden so far (North Carolina, Georgia and Florida) i have not had the need for the 60nm but a few times and I am only in mediocre shape and 57...

Tonybro

🦾 The Bionic Man 🦿
Subscriber
Jan 15, 2021
Lancashire
Good point, JDA.

I won't be changing mine from 60NM when it arrives. My 24kg bike has 70NM max but I only run it in 40 & 60NM outputs in Eco and Trail anyway. I'm hoping the weight reduction of 5kg between bikes means I can cut output back a little further to maybe 30 & 50NM for Eco and Trail...

Vinz113

Jan 26, 2021
france
Personnellement les capacités de montée à l'assistance sont largement suffisantes. je viens d'un Wild Orbea.
Je monte toujours les monté impossible en musculaire avec encore plus de facilité que le sauvage, dans la technique grâce à une légèreté de l'avant.
Mes sorties sont certes un poil moins rapide qu'en Vae standard et par contre plus exigeante physiquement.
Je ne changerais donc pas. Merci JDA de ton analyse

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
One thing I didn't mention that is questioned a lot is range. I hear a lot of Youtube reviewers demanding from manufacturers bigger and bigger batteries, and that obviously comes at a significant weight penalty. Clearly the goal is to have 'just enough' juice for every ride.

Here's my experience:
I weigh 75KG kitted up. 6'4" on XL. Bike is an M10. I live in the UK and ride muddy trails, hills and forests, not jump parks. I like to head out on it for an hour during the week for a blast, and then do 2-3hrs on the odd weekend on trails with friends. Most important for me is that the bike is light and fun and 'poppy'.

An hours heavy blast of 13km will cost me 30% of my inbuilt battery if I boost through the hills to get to the fun stuff and keep boosting back to the top a jump run. Gloopy mud. That is the highest usage.

25km for 2 hours (moving time) at Swinley trail park, riding with an analogue mate (thus slower) used 45% of main battery. Also, as you can see from the chart, sometimes I'm riding with the motor off. That is probably the key benefit of lightweight ebikes - The impact of a flat battery is not nearly as significant - It's not as if you're stranded. What will inevitably happen for the huge rides is as your anxiety for running out of juice increases, you'll put more effort in and increase the range.

I have the range extender on order, and thus could theoretically get 7h+ riding in a day, which is more than enough for me. I imagine riding with FF ebikes would dent that range significantly.

So for me, I'm very glad to only have a 360wh. In fact, I'd be happy if it were a touch smaller and can only imagine needing that range extender for those rare mammoth days. Also, the range extenders I've heard are compact and only 1.4kg or so and £450 in UK. Seems pretty reasonable to have a second in a rucksack if you're frequently traversing the Scottish highlands in a day.

Just my use-case, and hopefully useful to others wondering about range.

Key for graph:
3-Boost
2-Trail
1-Eco
Below 1 - Off

View attachment 56355

That’s great that! How are you finding it now? Do you find the 150 travel enough vs the larger found on FF? I guess with it being lighter it’s not required and on that point did you change the brakes, rotors or tyres?

Wild-Fins

Sep 24, 2021
SoCal
My friend converted his M10 Medium to mullet setup based on users feedback on this forum for a couple weeks now.
Front Fork Fox 36 160mm / Rear Shock Plush Coil 160mm = 216x63mm (8.5x2.5) with one offset bushing (tail).

In the past couple rides, he started to hear some weird friction noise below the frame when going over some bumps - not all the time - and so did I when I took the bike for a ride. So we looked closer and found that the rear shock coil has come into contact with the frame when the rear frame triangle compresses and has left some marks under the top tube. We are a bit concerned as wondering if it would cause any damage to the carbon frame.

Anybody has experienced with this issue and how would you resolve it?

OrbeaRiseM10-Mullet-Shock(1).jpg

OrbeaRiseM10-Mullet-Shock(2).jpg

GatorXman

Nov 23, 2021
Tampa
FYI there isn't enough clearance to fit an offset bushing on the head of a Manitou Mara Pro shock (maybe 1mm clear static).

Tried to fit a 216x63 with two offset bushings. I was trying to run 160/160 29er keeping the HA and STA in check with stock, static BB would raise a bit, but once sagged would be close to stock. No go, so I just kept the single bushing in the tail. Paired it with my Mezzer up front and we will see how she goes.

Wild-Fins

Sep 24, 2021
SoCal
So my friend added an offset bushing at the top along with a FOX SLS coil and the clearance (visually) seems to be better compared to before... see pic attached. Now let's see how it would perform on the trails...

Screenshot_20220203-174500_Message+.jpg

jimsantos

Dec 14, 2020
California
If anyone wants to try out 160mm travel, I'm selling my coil shock setup. Worked great for me, but I'm selling my Rise and going back to non-e-bike.

It does NOT have the rub issues pictured above, on my large frame.

Asking $250 shipped within the US, can quote you for intl shipping, but it'll be reasonable.

Included:
- Marzocchi Bomber CR shock
- 450 + 500lb springs good for about 160-210lb rider.
- 1 offset bushing for the rear, installed

Thanks!

Last edited:

COL Weyland

Aug 28, 2023
United Kingdom
Hi guys have any of you tried fitting a 215x63 fox DHX2? I've seen one for a good price and can't quite work out whether it will fit and what offset bushing I might need (I know usually people go for 216*63. My bike is a large carbon. I will mullet the bike obviously. Any help appreciated thanks

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles