Orbea Rise Hydro shipped with the wrong firmware?

Funks

Oct 8, 2021
Dublin, CA
Saw on FB Rise group that some have gotten their Hydro with the 85nm firmware which required a reflash, how does one check if the correct firmware is installed?

Using the E-TUBE app, not sure if mine has the correct firmware - not sure why it's showing 85nm.

unnamed.jpg

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Saw on FB Rise group that some have gotten their Hydro with the 85nm firmware which required a reflash, how does one check if the correct firmware is installed?

Using the E-TUBE app, not sure if mine has the correct firmware - not sure why it's showing 85nm.

View attachment 78801
Looks like you have the incorrect firmware. Lots seem to be delivered with the standard EP8 firmware.

Dealer can update it for you to the RS firmware if you want.

aarfeldt

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 25, 2019
Denmark, Danstrup
Since this happens quite often, orbea should make this a dealer task, before handover to a customer.
Like "verify correct firmware", since you will have trouble with warrany ("you have changed the software" situation).

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
One interesting thing in Knut's H30 video was the observation that even with the EP8 firmware, the motor doesn't put out the same amount as another bike with an EP8. They put this down to the battery BMS limiting the power available.

aarfeldt

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 25, 2019
Denmark, Danstrup
One interesting thing in Knut's H30 video was the observation that even with the EP8 firmware, the motor doesn't put out the same amount as another bike with an EP8.

I have also compared it to the Canyon with the EP8 motor.
If you raise the torque from 60 to 85Nm, it dosent make much difference.
There are other settings you ALSO need to alter, to get it going just as fast as any full-power EP8.
It´s not magic....it just to get the settings correct.

Sgur

Oct 22, 2018
Italy
I have also compared it to the Canyon with the EP8 motor.
If you raise the torque from 60 to 85Nm, it dosent make much difference.
There are other settings you ALSO need to alter, to get it going just as fast as any full-power EP8.
It´s not magic....it just to get the settings correct.
you mean the max power? But if the limiting factor is the amperage allowed by the battery, maybe 500+ watts can not be reached

KuRi

May 30, 2019
Spain
Yeah, they cannot be reached with the in-built battery, no without troubles. I just tried that on mine, 500W and 85nm and indeed there is a huge difference in assistance level, but you will get weird vibrations when battery level is below 50%... not recommended at all!

aarfeldt

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 25, 2019
Denmark, Danstrup
Well....I have absolutely no trouble with EP8 RS set at 85Nm and max watt at 500w in alle 3 settings (just as the Canyon has).
Massive power, no vibrations at any battery percentage (going with extender and down to 2 percent left).
More than 2000 kms now.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Well....I have absolutely no trouble with EP8 RS set at 85Nm and max watt at 500w in alle 3 settings (just as the Canyon has).
Massive power, no vibrations at any battery percentage (going with extender and down to 2 percent left).
More than 2000 kms now.
You have the 360wh internal battery on the carbon bike. Maybe the battery BMS on that battery wasn't set as restrictive for whatever reasons - with the theory the motor would be set so you could safely use the external battery. With the "H" and the 540, maybe they set more limitation within the battery ?! This is only guessing based on peoples experiences.

KuRi

May 30, 2019
Spain
I also have the carbon one, and I know some other users has suffered from the vibration too... I am not sure on what depends. It happens also with the extender. Maybe a faulty motor or something loose...

Whenever I revert to 350W max the vibration dissapears for all modes.

Last edited:

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California

That's how my screen would look on my non-Orbea bike. On my friends bikes who ride Rise's, the slider only goes up to... what is it?... in the 64 or thereabouts? I wouldn't worry about it, and would probably set up a profile to utilize the extra juice. Just keep in mind that if you ride with that level of torque, you're just burning through your battery a lot more quickly. I always prefer to have more options, rather than be constrained by restrictions.

Nebo1ss

Dec 21, 2021
London
More than 2000 kms now.
i am exactly the same with M10 and the full power motor because i loaded software from ETUBE. I was de-restricted for about a month with speed set to US standard. i took it off and returned bike to UK standard o take bike to dealer for service. Never put it back on and i am finding that with the full 85 nM available i prefer the bike now than before when it was derestricted. I guess Torque better than higher speed in my case. I did a ride yesterday and returned home with 10 percent battery no limitation at any time.

ripeinmay

Jan 24, 2022
Ireland
Ive had a similar issue, new motor set at full power. Anyway I can install RS firmware myself? Or an app that can reduce the max watts down?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles