Orbea rise - motor dead after firmware update

Nebo1ss

Dec 21, 2021
London
Hi thanks a lot for those screens. I am also running the standard EP8 firmware having updated at least three versions with the ETUBE app.
I have used that information to set profile one as standard and using profile 2 to take advantage of the extra power. On my M10 i have not experienced any of the problems that some have reported with vibration at low battery levels.
As a matter of interest it should be no problem to use the ETUBE app to update to the RS firmware provided you have a copy of the 2 files needed. All that would be needed would be to edit the 2 files on the phone and replace the ones that are presently downloaded there.
The only observation i have with running the non RS firmware is that occasionally i think i have lost assist but when i check my speed i am in fact exceeding the 25Kph. It is so easy to get up to the max speed of the motor with the additional torque that it can catch you out.

Just an aside for those using STunlocker. You should be aware that Shimano made a change in the latest version of etube APP version 5.0.3 which will prevent you from every downgrading your firmware on the motor. This is not a problem if you have the previous version of etube 5.0.2. If you are derestricted do not update your version of etube.
Also a note to correct some who mention using STUnlocker to downgrade your firmware.This is not possible it does not do that. In fact it only works on previous version of Shimano firmware and you use etube app to downgrade the firmware to a version that allows STUnlocker to work

Last edited:

Dirtyrig

Dec 26, 2021
New York
Much thanks @Dirtyrig

BTW, how does one display the following screen using the iPhone eTube Project App? Can't seem to find this screen.

View attachment 79054
It's from the ST Unlocked app, just included it so you can see firmware version and name. I don't use the app for anything other than viewing information. Oh and the screen shots are my settings not default settings.

Last edited:

Shjay

Apr 30, 2019
Kent
Got my bike working again, firmware update crashed on laptop just at end, so had to unplug PCE02 cable, then when re connected laptop was trying to update & kept crashing, all lights & modes worked but no assistance from motor. Went into ST Unlocker & changed assistance levels on bike, then when tried update via laptop, crashed 1st time then worked & all up to date now

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
So, just to update this thread with the ongoing trials of this bike, after the motor was bricked during a firmware update in november last year, went back to shimano, they reinstalled the firmware and all was fine for a few months, but last week it started throwing E010 errors.

So it went back to the bike shop and shimano have fitted a new motor.

westcoastmtbr

Aug 22, 2019
California USA
Went to download the latest Shimano software update and the entire motor bricked. Now my local bike shop is having to change out the motor. Weird stuff. No ST Locker or any aftermarket stuff installed. Only bummer is that Shimano is not going to pay for the labor, not sure why this is the case, but new motor all the same. What's up with that!

soundwave

May 13, 2020
Helsinki, Finland
^ Damn. Did you upgrade via the mobile app and bluetooth? I have ordered the Shimano diagnostics box for research purposes ;) and plan to do all firmware upgrades via that and a PC.

vladej

Jun 28, 2021
Slovenia
Hi guys,

I’m curious what is the reason for firmware upgrade anyway?
I have been purchased my Rise in October last year and from my point of view motor works perfectly fine.
I’m using only profile 1, 90% time in trail mode.

Regards,
V

soundwave

May 13, 2020
Helsinki, Finland
^ probably none, if everything works fine. Shimano should do a better job in communicating release notes and advice in general whether it's recommended to upgrade or not.

Marquez93

Oct 21, 2021
Kent, UK
Why touch it then :)
Always install the latest firmware.
1) it may fix things not on the bug list
2) Support will insist (or they should) on latest FW if you report any sort of issue
3) Shimano will want to know if their latest version FW is crashing midway through upload etc, as the more reports of crashing the more likely it is to be fixed.
All of the above is considered to be best practice for 'most' support teams 🤷‍♂️😁

BobR

Apr 14, 2021
Florida
I am a software developer by trade and I guess that Shimano does not spend much time testing and dealing with all the possibilities on how a firmware update could be interrupted for the RS version compared to standard based on population of motors… as mentioned before, do everything you can to ensure the update is not interrupted… I even plug my charge cord in while updating and air plane mode as well. Make sure it is in an isolated place so nothing else can interrupt the Bluetooth connection.

westcoastmtbr

Aug 22, 2019
California USA
^ Damn. Did you upgrade via the mobile app and bluetooth? I have ordered the Shimano diagnostics box for research purposes ;) and plan to do all firmware upgrades via that and a PC.

I did via Bluetooth, and it's a waste of time. I thing directly from the PC is the best option. I'm going to avoid all updates via Bluetooth from now on. This was an issue on my first update. ugh

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I see no reason to do firmware updates unless there is something to be gained. If it works leave it alone!!.............and there is now way I would use a pathetic connection like blutooth for a file transfer update. My Levo at 2.5 years old was on the firmware I bought it with and worked fine.........but then it was stolen!! I did update my E180 Bosch firmware in order to upgrade from 80 to 85nm....a positive benefit...........but I paid a shop to do it from the Bosch dealer website.

westcoastmtbr

Aug 22, 2019
California USA
I couldn't agree more, leave well enough alone. I can take my new motor and ride it until I need to bring it into the shop for maintenance, then I can let them do it. If it breaks, it's on them. Enough said!

BobR

Apr 14, 2021
Florida
I see no reason to do firmware updates unless there is something to be gained. If it works leave it alone!!.............and there is now way I would use a pathetic connection like blutooth for a file transfer update. My Levo at 2.5 years old was on the firmware I bought it with and worked fine.........but then it was stolen!! I did update my E180 Bosch firmware in order to upgrade from 80 to 85nm....a positive benefit...........but I paid a shop to do it from the Bosch dealer website.
pathetic or not, I have to of these and have updated them both twice via Bluetooth with no problems

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles