Orbea rise - motor dead after firmware update

Nebo1ss

Dec 21, 2021
London
Easiest way to verify is to connect the E-TUBE Project App via your phone to your bike.

Go to Assist Customize -

Select Profile 1

Take a screenshot of ECO, TRAIL, and BOOST (pls post it up here).

Select Profile 2

Check to see if you are allowed to go higher than 60 NM (Max Torque) - if the app allows you to go 85NM then you probably have the stock EP8 firmware hence the ability to update it in-app. A bunch of Rise Hydro's (Alloy Model) shipped with the stock firmware, mine included. Only way to get it re-flashed to the right firmware (RS) is by getting Shimano to do it.

Honestly - who knows if this was issue was strictly limited to the Alloy versions, a bunch of Carbon versions may have been shipped with the wrong firmware as well.

Either that or there are limit-parameters that can be set on the motors config which is not overwritten by a firmware upgrade.
I never made any changes to the profiles but have been riding in Profile 2 since I got the bike. I just checked and i can definitely change it up to 85 NM. All very interesting. I have not had any battery problems but then the profiles are set to 70 NM before I just made the change. Definitely want to check it out up at 85 NM now that I can.

Dirtyrig

Dec 26, 2021
New York
That is interesting i wonder what this means in real life. I updated my RISE from 4.15 to 4.16 from 4.16 to 4.17 and most recently from 4.17 to 4.18. Never experienced any problems. Is this saying that my motor is now running NON RS firmware?
I'm not sure, but this is what Orbea and the dealer told me. The dealer is reaching out to Shimano to find out exactly, but it does look like the updates through the etube app may not be RS versions, should find out soon what the deal is.

ebsocalmtb

Sep 29, 2021
Southern-Cal
Easiest way to verify is to connect the E-TUBE Project App via your phone to your bike.

Go to Assist Customize -

Select Profile 1

Select Profile 2

Check to see if you are allowed to go higher than 60 NM (Max Torque) - if the app allows you to go 85NM then you probably have the stock EP8 firmware hence the ability to update it in-app. A bunch of Rise Hydro's (Alloy Model) shipped with the stock firmware, mine included. Only way to get it re-flashed to the right firmware (RS) is by getting Shimano to do it.

Honestly - who knows if this was issue was strictly limited to the Alloy versions, a bunch of Carbon versions may have been shipped with the wrong firmware as well.

Either that or there are limit-parameters that can be set on the motors config which is not overwritten by a firmware upgrade.

As a data point... I updated my m20 rise via the etube app 2 weeks ago, and it still shows the 60nm max torque, and the orbea, garmin rs toolbox data still shows a max assist of 80%... which correlates to 60nm. I had no issues with the update.

Dirtyrig

Dec 26, 2021
New York
As a data point... I updated my m20 rise via the etube app 2 weeks ago, and it still shows the 60nm max torque, and the orbea, garmin rs toolbox data still shows a max assist of 80%... which correlates to 60nm. I had no issues with the update.
You would think that, it even says it in the Blue Paper (Manual) that comes with the bike that you can update the firmware with your phone and etube app, so why they're telling me now you can't is bonkers, all I know is the update rendered my rise motor useless.

Funks

Oct 8, 2021
Dublin, CA
You would think that, it even says it in the Blue Paper (Manual) that comes with the bike that you can update the firmware with your phone and etube app, so why they're telling me now you can't is bonkers, all I know is the update rendered my rise motor useless.

Did you try unplugging the power to the motor for a minute (pull the motor) then hooking up your phone to it and see if you can connect update it again?

Dirtyrig

Dec 26, 2021
New York
Did you try unplugging the power to the motor for a minute (pull the motor) then hooking up your phone to it and see if you can connect update it again?
Yes, it didn't work. I'm now not even able to connect to the motor at all. It used to just immediately try to reinstall the firmware, but now does not even see the bike to connect. Heading to the dealer in about 1 hr to have them flash it, fingers crossed! Told my boss I had to leave work early for a emergency, I have my priorities straight! Lol...

Funks

Oct 8, 2021
Dublin, CA
Yes, it didn't work. I'm now not even able to connect to the motor at all. It used to just immediately try to reinstall the firmware, but now does not even see the bike to connect. Heading to the dealer in about 1 hr to have them flash it, fingers crossed, lol ...

Wish you luck! - getting lots of inconsistent info, some people are saying only Shimano techs can reflash the firmware (specially if it needs to be the RS firmware). I e-mailed Orbea but they've yet to respond about the proper procedure for people who bought their bikes online.

Who knows if the local dealer has the right tools to reflash the firmware correctly, or has the proper access to shimano to reflash it to the RS firmware.

ebsocalmtb

Sep 29, 2021
Southern-Cal
If only there was some magical network of wires, that connected everything, and then like, a plug standard that every computer had. So you could just hook up your bike to your computer, and have some one in another part of the world, login, check it, and update it.

Imagine what sort of technology would need to be invented to pull this off.

Gismo6303

Sep 4, 2021
France
Hi, mine (m20) come with 85nm firmware, don't know if it's Shimano one or orbea rs one without torque restriction. Orbea says bring back to Dealer but he won't do no something to this. He says : the bike works, be happy tu put 85nm,it don't change anything, it just a box wasn't checked when orbea tech has upload firmware...

Funks

Oct 8, 2021
Dublin, CA
Hi, mine (m20) come with 85nm firmware, don't know if it's Shimano one or orbea rs one without torque restriction. Orbea says bring back to Dealer but he won't do no something to this. He says : the bike works, be happy tu put 85nm,it don't change anything, it just a box wasn't checked when orbea tech has upload firmware...

I'm keeping the Non-RS firmware on the bike, but just limiting torque settings on "Profile 2" - boost setting to 64nm.

Some posts here says setting it to 85nm made the motor vibrate when the battery was at 50% capacity or less, or the motor still wasn't putting out the same power as a full-fat EP8 RS eMTB (video by Knut7). Some speculation says it may be the battery, limiting the max sustained current. It was also mentioned that when the Range extender is plugged in - the motor draws power from it first (pretty sure it can't sustain required current at 85nm), but the main battery might be able to (without the extender plugged in) might be able to. Not sure what applies to the Alloy version's 540 WH battery though (or if it can sustain the required current required at 85nm).

KuRi said:
Yeah, they cannot be reached with the in-built battery, no without troubles. I just tried that on mine, 500W and 85nm and indeed there is a huge difference in assistance level, but you will get weird vibrations when battery level is below 50%... not recommended at all!

Last edited:

Gismo6303

Sep 4, 2021
France
Yes I've read this thing, but i think, if you buy a bike that has a special firmware you want to have it, not the standard one. I haven't ride any ep8, but the assistance feel really natural and appear at high cadence, so I wonder if I dont have the rs but with no torque limit. I've the vibration with assist at 8/10 or more and torque at 63nm

Dirtyrig

Dec 26, 2021
New York
Wish you luck! - getting lots of inconsistent info, some people are saying only Shimano techs can reflash the firmware (specially if it needs to be the RS firmware). I e-mailed Orbea but they've yet to respond about the proper procedure for people who bought their bikes online.

Who knows if the local dealer has the right tools to reflash the firmware correctly, or has the proper access to shimano to reflash it to the RS firmware.
Brought the bike to the Orbea dealer and had to leave it there. They are waiting for Orbea to email them the file to flash the firmware. Seems that only Orbea dealers have access to the RS firmware. I had to drive over 1 hr away to get to a Orbea dealer. What if someone didn't have one near them, that would suck!

klemm

Dec 29, 2021
MI
I had this same problem yesterday with my new M10. The problem went away after hitting the button switch on the EW-EN100. This button can be used to scroll through assist modes (instead of using the remote rocker switch), but perhaps it also forces re-synch with the motor.

Last edited:

Dirtyrig

Dec 26, 2021
New York
Here is the latest response from Orbea:

"We have also been informed that Shimano's Software update is suffering some issues in some update cases and it is necessary to visit a dealer so that they can use the specific cable to be able to repair this.

We hope that the issue gets solved as soon as possible.
Please do not hesitate to contact us if there is any further information you require."

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
I started this thread when my mates firmware update failed, in his case everything he tried at home didn't work ,Inc disconnecting the motor power etc.

He took it to a Shimano dealer and they couldn't get it working either,despite having Shimano on the phone helping them. in the end the motor was sent back to Shimano, and returned a week later all sorted,i have no idea whether it was the original motor 'repaired' or just a new motor.

Anyway,he says he's not going to do any more firmware updates.

Last edited:

Dirtyrig

Dec 26, 2021
New York
So I got the motors' firmware flashed at a local Orbea dealer and this whole process left me with a bad taste in my mouth. The firmware issue was caused by the Shimano E-Tube app, I confirmed this with Shimano and Orbea. Orbea instructs me to go to a local dealer to have them flash the motor to repair it. I did that and the dealer charged me $50.00 to flash the firmware onto the motor. Granted, I did not purchase the bike from this dealer, I got it from a dealer very far from where I live because no one had this bike in stock anywhere near me and it was going to take over a year to get from a local dealer. With that said, I would think that this service should have been done by any authorized Orbea dealer for free. Its not a issue caused by usage, a crash or anything that I did. It was a faulty firmware update issued by Shimano. Am I wrong to think that any authorized dealer should have flashed the motor without charging me for it? Don't dealers make agreements with the bike brands, they agree to becoming authorized dealer for, that address issues like this? Maybe I'm wrong about this, but it just seems so messed up that I dished out money to fix a screwup created by the motor company(Shimano) that Orbea uses on their bikes!

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
When updating the firmware using my phone with the ETUBE app i always switch the phone into airplane mode. i do this to avoid any calls, text messages, emails etc potentially interrupting the update. There is no need to be connected to the network because the updated firmware actually sits on the phone.
Brilliant bit of advice! Thanks. I had never thought of that, really. :)(y)

Funks

Oct 8, 2021
Dublin, CA
So I got the motors' firmware flashed at a local Orbea dealer and this whole process left me with a bad taste in my mouth. The firmware issue was caused by the Shimano E-Tube app, I confirmed this with Shimano and Orbea. Orbea instructs me to go to a local dealer to have them flash the motor to repair it. I did that and the dealer charged me $50.00 to flash the firmware onto the motor. Granted, I did not purchase the bike from this dealer, I got it from a dealer very far from where I live because no one had this bike in stock anywhere near me and it was going to take over a year to get from a local dealer. With that said, I would think that this service should have been done by any authorized Orbea dealer for free. Its not a issue caused by usage, a crash or anything that I did. It was a faulty firmware update issued by Shimano. Am I wrong to think that any authorized dealer should have flashed the motor without charging me for it? Don't dealers make agreements with the bike brands, they agree to becoming authorized dealer for, that address issues like this? Maybe I'm wrong about this, but it just seems so messed up that I dished out money to fix a screwup created by the motor company(Shimano) that Orbea uses on their bikes!

Do you have the latest firmware on it now? Additionally - did you end up with the EP8-RS firmware, or the EP8 firmware?

aarfeldt

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 25, 2019
Denmark, Danstrup
Am I wrong to think that any authorized dealer should have flashed the motor without charging me for it?

I don´t know the OrbeaFactory/Dealer contract.
So I'm just guessing here....and I would expect the same as you....any official Orbea dealer should fix these kind of problems for free.
There might be an opening for the dealer to charge time used....I don´t know, and I would expect it to be different among bike brands.

1: But you got your problem fixed cheap, and is now able to use your bike (assume your happy)
2: you have spread the words regarding this Shimano app issue - thanks.

When there is a new firmware update, I allways read about the issues fixed.
If this dosen't concern my parts, I don´t update.
There is allways a risk, when using your phone and wirelessly updating the unit.....but in 99.99% it will go well.

Dec 1, 2021
Netherlands
I understand your point, i think that the problem is that it is no normal guarantee. orbea thinks it is shimanos fault and shimano thinks it is for orbea. The dealer cant declare its time, didnt sold you the bike and didnt earn any money and thinks, i am not gonna pay for it either.
but your problem is solved for 50 $ so ride on :)

Dirtyrig

Dec 26, 2021
New York
Do you have the latest firmware on it now? Additionally - did you end up with the EP8-RS firmware, or the EP8 firmware?
Yes, I have the latest version and the dealer received the firmware by email from Orbea, so I assume it's the EP8-RS version.

Funks

Oct 8, 2021
Dublin, CA
Yes, I have the latest version and the dealer received the firmware by email from Orbea, so I assume it's the EP8-RS version.

Good thing a straight up reflash fixed it without needing to send the motor in.

Would it be possible for you to take screenshots on

ECO / TRAIL / BOOST pages on both Profile 1 & 2 using the eTube Projects app? Just wanted to find out what the defaults are..

I'm still on the non EP8-RS firmware, so I'm just hoping to set the values to the same default settings as the EP8-RS firmware.

Dirtyrig

Dec 26, 2021
New York
Good thing a straight up reflash fixed it without needing to send the motor in.

Would it be possible for you to take screenshots on

ECO / TRAIL / BOOST pages on both Profile 1 & 2 using the eTube Projects app? Just wanted to find out what the defaults are..

I'm still on the non EP8-RS firmware, so I'm just hoping to set the values to the same default settings as the EP8-RS firmware.
I've attached all screens shot's

Screenshot_20211230-202010.png

Screenshot_20211230-201814.png

Screenshot_20211230-201805.png

Screenshot_20211230-201754.png

Screenshot_20211230-201743.png

Screenshot_20211230-201710.png

Screenshot_20211230-201658.png

Screenshot_20211230-201636.png

flash

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
If only there was some magical network of wires, that connected everything, and then like, a plug standard that every computer had. So you could just hook up your bike to your computer, and have some one in another part of the world, login, check it, and update it.

Imagine what sort of technology would need to be invented to pull this off.

I've had Fazua do exactly this. USB cable and a remote connection from Germany to Oz. Took less than 10 minutes.

Gordon

Shjay

Apr 30, 2019
Kent
Mine done the same & that was update with the PCE02 😂 crashed at the end & froze so have all lights etc just no motor assist

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles