Orbea Rise Hydro won’t turn on

dan_65338

Apr 6, 2020
Aberdeenshire
So after having the bike (Rise Hydro H15)for 2 or 3 weeks, and only doing 117km. It has died already.

Went to ride it on Sunday and it went off in the car park, no issues though went back on no bother. Climbed up to 1st descent and started the descent, got half way down and noticed they power was off again. This time at the bottom, I could not turn it back on.

Went home, dropped the motor, pulled the battery and all cables are connected snuggly and no obvious damage.

It’s worth noting, that the morning it failed was the 1st day I adjusted the height of the seat post. I wonder if the dropper cable has stretched/damaged a cable.

I then took the bike to a Shimano service centre who has confirmed that alll of the Shimano steps stuff is ok, so that leaves main battery, On/Off switch or Charging port has failed. As it doesn’t work with extender either, I’m assuming switch or charging port is to blame.

The shop I bought it from is attempting to assist remotely as they’re 4 hours away, I’m hoping Orbea will send them whatever is required and they will forward onto the local Shimano service centre.

I reached out to 2 local Orbea dealers, who unfortunately seemed to know little to nothing about the bike they’ve been selling since 2021, both tried to tell me that all components were Shimano, apart from the battery…

Has anyone else had any issues similar with the Rise Hydro? Or does anyone know how to fault find the switch or the charging port?

Dan

Last edited:

Murphius

Jun 19, 2020
Washington
I don’t think your issues is related to the switch or the charge port. Sounds like the motor, battery, or connection between the two based on your description of the bike turning off while riding.

This is the biggest issue with ebikes though, once we have issues it’s so difficult to troubleshoot with the resources available to us.

Last edited:

dan_65338

Apr 6, 2020
Aberdeenshire
Hi @Murphius Motor has been confirmed good by shimano service centre. The charging port is sort of the main junction for all cables, hence why i suspect its the issue. Even if battery was bad, the extender should still work through charging port. Or the switch isnt sending the signal to the motor.

1648131888336.png

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
So after having the bike (Rise Hydro H15)for 2 or 3 weeks, and only doing 117km. It has died already.

Went to ride it on Sunday and it went off in the car park, no issues though went back on no bother. Climbed up to 1st descent and started the descent, got half way down and noticed they power was off again. This time at the bottom, I could not turn it back on.

Went home, dropped the motor, pulled the battery and all cables are connected snuggly and no obvious damage.

It’s worth noting, that the morning it failed was the 1st day I adjusted

I then took the bike to a Shimano service centre who has confirmed that alll of the Shimano steps stuff is ok, so that leaves main battery, On/Off switch or Charging port has failed. As it doesn’t work with extender either, I’m assuming switch or charging port is to blame.

The shop I bought it from is attempting to assist remotely as they’re 4 hours away, I’m hoping Orbea will send them whatever is required and they will forward onto the local Shimano service centre.

I reached out to 2 local Orbea dealers, who unfortunately seemed to know little to nothing about the bike they’ve been selling since 2021, both tried to tell me that all components were Shimano, apart from the battery…

Has anyone else had any issues similar with the Rise Hydro? Or does anyone know how to fault find the switch or the charging port?

Dan
....first day you adjusted what???

the majority of electrical faults are in connections.......and most are caused by human intervention...or lack of human intervention. Your problem sounds like a bad connection and the most likely place is the connector on the battery that feeds into the motor.
Have you tried charging the battery via the charging port?

dan_65338

Apr 6, 2020
Aberdeenshire
....first day you adjusted what???

the majority of electrical faults are in connections.......and most are caused by human intervention...or lack of human intervention. Your problem sounds like a bad connection and the most likely place is the connector on the battery that feeds into the motor.
Have you tried charging the battery via the charging port?
Hi 1st time I’d adjusted the seat post height. Yeah the only way you can charge the bike is via the charging port. I did have the battery out, there’s no LEDs or indicators on it at all. But prior to the ride, I did confirm it was fully charged with stunlocker. So the charging port worked the night before.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
It's grasping at straws, but check the cable to the display. If this is pulled too tight (fastened to another cable which is moving and applies too much tension for example) it can cause random power off's and failed starts.

dan_65338

Apr 6, 2020
Aberdeenshire
It's grasping at straws, but check the cable to the display. If this is pulled too tight (fastened to another cable which is moving and applies too much tension for example) it can cause random power off's and failed starts.
I’m assuming that because the Shimano service centre have managed to run diagnostics on the motor/display/switch, the cables to each must be ok. 🤷🏻‍♂️

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
Grasping at the straw which Zimmer missed ... if you moved the seat post height, that could have moved the dropper cable (made it tighter?). Which if the routing was poorly done over the motor, and the dropper cable was intertwined with STEPS cables could then have moved one of those and loosened one of the connections. Which is what Mikerb was suggesting above ...

dan_65338

Apr 6, 2020
Aberdeenshire
Grasping at the straw which Zimmer missed ... if you moved the seat post height, that could have moved the dropper cable (made it tighter?). Which if the routing was poorly done over the motor, and the dropper cable was intertwined with STEPS cables could then have moved one of those and loosened one of the connections. Which is what Mikerb was suggesting above ...
Yeah I checked all the connections and so have the shop now. It’s nothing obvious. I don’t think it’s loosened a connection, but possibly damaged a cable. The cables for the switch are really tiny, wouldn’t take much to damage them for sure.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
yes...that is what I was alluding to. Your symptoms suggested an intermittent disconnection (or what mechanical electricians call a high resistance disconnection..HR Dis. You can only find a fault like that either by measuring resistance or by measuring continuity whilst you disturb the cable. If as you say the wiring to the on/off switch consists small diameter conductors they would seem to be the most vulnerable; but you might also be a ble to tell what cables were most likely to be disturbed by the dropper post cabling.
On a small diameter cable that ends in a spade terminal or similar, the most likely weak spot is immediately before the spade terminal where the insultation was stripped. A poor job of stripping the insulation can leave the copper conductors weakened.

dan_65338

Apr 6, 2020
Aberdeenshire
Orbea seems to agree, they’re sending a switch and charging port/main cable harness. They’re not sure which one it is, but I’d confident that it’s one or the other.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
If it wont turn on,how did the shop connect their laptop to the motor to prove it was ok?

Chicane

Nov 11, 2020
SoCal
Did you check the connections inside the head tube? You will need to remove the fork to check this adapter that connects the motor to the EN-100.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Yes I believe how they do diagnostics, proves all Shimano cabling.
At best their diagnostic test would read any fault reports stored in the CPU. A battery to motor disconnection will not result in any fault codes since it is the same as switching the motor off. Until I see reports of a LBS using at the very least a multimeter..preferably a Megger I would have no confidence in their a bility to diagnose a fault.

dan_65338

Apr 6, 2020
Aberdeenshire
At best their diagnostic test would read any fault reports stored in the CPU. A battery to motor disconnection will not result in any fault codes since it is the same as switching the motor off. Until I see reports of a LBS using at the very least a multimeter..preferably a Megger I would have no confidence in their a bility to diagnose a fault.
Me neither, but unfortunately to start the warranty process I was asked to have the Shimano steps stuff diagnosed 1st.

lockin

Dec 1, 2020
Wrocław
Update!

just got the bike back, turns out the battery failed after only 6 charges.
Can you tell me when the faulty battery was in the bike what was power button and extender behavior? I got brand new Rise just charged 2 times and after ride on Sunday it is not powering on. The power button blinks once and nothing happens. The same is on extender which I did not even use. As for extender after pressing power on led ls on extender shows Current Battery pawer and then turns off. LCD is all the time off. I have also charged it but after 2h it did not change a thing (charger normally blinks).

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles