Orbea Rise Hydro - Random Turning off while riding + Lockring Options

iJak

Mar 2, 2022
Vancouver BC
Starting a new thread on this, since the wiring is different from the carbon version posted in that other thread linked above, but practically same issue.

This is just randomly happening - sometimes on flat road, sometimes going up, sometimes going down. Powering it up and leaving it for awhile without riding seems to give me longer sessions before randomly turning off. This seems to be happening more frequently now.

1) battery is fully charged.
2) happening on all modes (ECO, Trail, Boost and sometimes Off)
3) I am not a heavy rider (180lbs kitted) so it shouldn't be over heating especially in "off" mode
4) checked all external connection and they are tight
5) no error codes

Fix Attempt Update: Oct 27th - failed
Purchased lockring removal tool in order to drop the motor, so I can check connections. The LBS tech I bought the tool from told me to clean the magnet and speed sensor in the rear. To my surprise there's a layer of brake dust and trail dust completely covering the magnet due to the lip (see photo in later post) - Cleaned it with alcohol and pick due to magnet attracting the brake dust. Test rode this attempt + firmware updated to 4.1.9 - still having the same issue.

Next is to drop the motor - Nov 13th - Fixed
Dropped my motor and checked if there's any issue with the cables / wiring. Found nothing and reassembled everything. Started working again - 30 min test ride full boost, no random shut offs!

Last edited:

WOYTY

Nov 2, 2021
Poland
Hello.
I had the same symptoms on my Rise M20 started off with random switching off exactly the same as described by you ,no fault indicated by the Etube app .
Now the motor turns off and Etube app error log shows fault E 01022. Even when the motor stays on I can feel that motor assist is not as strong as it used to be. I have dropped the motor to check all the connections but found nothing wrong.
I suspect that it's faulty torque sensor ,so looks like i will need new motor.
My bike has only covered 2600 km

Screenshot_20221023_131204_com.shimano.etubeprojectmobile.droid.phone.jpg

mike_kelly

Subscriber
Aug 11, 2022
US
Do you notice that the speedometer shows no speed when you are pedaling? Maybe indicating the sensor is faulty. That might cause the motor to think it is not in use and time-out.

WOYTY

Nov 2, 2021
Poland
I have no speedometer just simple LED indicator .When motor cuts out I get two red LED blinking, which mean there is a fault in the drivtrain. I have contacted dealer ,after contacting ORBEA they suspect faulty speed sensor .

mike_kelly

Subscriber
Aug 11, 2022
US
Well that is an easier fix, even if you have to drop the motor to get at the cables. But better than having to replace the motor. Good Luck.

iJak

Mar 2, 2022
Vancouver BC
finally found a lockring removal tool locally to drop the motor. Upon picking up this tool, the shop told me to check + clean my wheel magnet and sensor. To my surprise there's a heavy layer of brake dust + trail dust on my 6 bolt magnet. I got my magnet from giant which works with ep8, but as you can see there's lip which is great for holding dust. I will report back if cleaning this magnet + sensor solved my issue.
1666894718465.png

WOYTY

Nov 2, 2021
Poland
Speaking about removal tool . I had to skim the outer diameter of the one I have purchased as there is recess in e-thirteen chain ring that requires tool with 59mm outer diameter.

IMG_20221027_210254.jpg

mike_kelly

Subscriber
Aug 11, 2022
US
Very true. The only one I could find was the Park unit that works in both directions.
Must be the 60nm version.

WOYTY

Nov 2, 2021
Poland
After Orbea adviced to change the speed sensor I have repalced it with the new one but nothing has changed .
Same error .Motor stops sometimes after 5-10 minutes , sometimes every 30 seconds.
I think it's the motor itself .LBS will have a look at it this week.
Thanks God I have Rise hydro of my daughter which I'm using now.

iJak

Mar 2, 2022
Vancouver BC
After Orbea adviced to change the speed sensor I have repalced it with the new one but nothing has changed .
Same error .Motor stops sometimes after 5-10 minutes , sometimes every 30 seconds.
Keep me posted. Unfortunately, my purchase was done online, so I don't have a LBS to warranty.

iJak

Mar 2, 2022
Vancouver BC
Dropped my motor and checked if there's any issue with the cables / wiring. Found nothing and reassembled everything. Started working again - 30 min test ride full boost, no random shut offs!

Shjay

Apr 30, 2019
Kent
Warranty would be with Shimano not Orbea as motor/electrics issue so any local bike shop that is also a Shimano service centre could help out
QUOTE="iJak, post: 435945, member: 23164"]
Keep me posted. Unfortunately, my purchase was done online, so I don't have a LBS to warranty.
[/QUOTE]

Shjay

Apr 30, 2019
Kent
My old bike Vitus E-Sommet with E7000 motor was randomly cutting out, I have a PCE02 to run checks turned out to be cable from motor to the computer was broken. Once replaced all good. I am guessing like the carbon Rise you have a cable connection in headtube to connect thinner ep8 wire to standard wires in computer, check these haven’t come loose

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles