Fuel EXe Trek Fuel EXe Megathread!

Bradleybourbon

Jul 3, 2023
Fairfield, CA
Was at LBS today and updated the firmware of all components.
Still can't see firmware versions on the TQ app. What could be the reason?
For those that have the ability to update their firmware or has a bike going into service anytime in the near future. The service tool is currently reverting the firmware to an older version. I am not sure if this is intended or a bug so I have reached out to TQ for clarification. The firmware affected is for the battery and range extender. Everything else matches TQ’s website.

Side note: TQ app loses the ability to see the firmware version as well but I believe that this functionally was part of the latest update.

View attachment IMG_1259.jpeg View attachment IMG_1260.jpeg View attachment IMG_1261.jpeg View attachment IMG_1262.jpeg

EnduroIntern

Feb 6, 2024
Israel
For those that have the ability to update their firmware or has a bike going into service anytime in the near future. The service tool is currently reverting the firmware to an older version. I am not sure if this is intended or a bug so I have reached out to TQ for clarification. The firmware affected is for the battery and range extender. Everything else matches TQ’s website.

Side note: TQ app loses the ability to see the firmware version as well but I believe that this functionally was part of the latest update.

View attachment 141012 View attachment 141013 View attachment 141014 View attachment 141015
Please update if you learn the reason

gmoss

Mar 21, 2024
Hickory, NC
The X2 has been a very worthwhile upgrade.
Just wanted to follow up on the adjustments in reference to pedal strikes. Moving to the high position all but got rid of my issue. Have not noticed any negative results of the change. Still running fork at 150. Will be making that change at some point, maybe next service.
20240525_163248.jpg

mmcengineer

Jan 3, 2022
Sheffield
I actually love mine now its an ebike for people who (still think thryre a racing snake) dont want an ebike, though i have to admit theres days wher my mrs just rides away from me on her rail and i do like borrowing hers for an hours unadulterated razzing round the woods , this is offset by the fact its just like my remedy only easier to get up the last few hills home different types of fun i suppose

Fuelexe

May 26, 2024
Cheshire
That’s why I got mine I’m still light and have decent power just that the other lads got full power e-bikes but couldn’t bring myself to doing that at the mo lol.

Gamecock

May 28, 2024
Virginia
I got what I think is a really good deal on a 2023 9.8 EXe GX AXS for $6700 on a Memorial day sale. I went in to probably buy a 9.5 or 9.7 if I could get a deal on one, but this one was marked way down already, and I got another $900 off that. I have been looking at the EXe for a few months, since realizing that at 52 I can no longer keep up with my 14 year old on the climbs, or at least not have fun doing it. I don't have the desire to train 3-4x per week on the bike anymore (my workouts are with wegiths in the gym).

Super happy with the bike on the inital buy. Mainly psyched that for the first time ever, I have no desire to upgrade any componenet right away. I prefer Shimano brakes, but I will give these a shot and see how they do before messing with those.

The fork does have a Charger 3 damper, even though the spec sheet says 2.1. Can't wait to get some miles in!

Gamecock

May 28, 2024
Virginia
How do I put a bash ring or bashguard on the bike? I didn’t even think about the fact that it doesn’t have tabs for one. I have a SRAM X-SYNC 32T chainring with e13 carbon cranks. Has this been solved?

DugT

Sep 4, 2022
Truckee, CA
What could cause a light grinding/crackling sound when riding up hills? Last year it made a similar noise from the crank/motor area which I fixed by adjusting the Motor Width Compensation bolts. Yesterday I retorqued the motor mount bolts hoping that would fix it. One was slightly loose but tightening it didn't solve the problem. Could the Motor Width Compensation Bolts have twisted out of spec even though the motor mounting bolts were tight? What else could cause a grinding sound when riding uphill? Thanks!

Last edited:

Integralnz

Apr 21, 2024
Queenstown N.Z.
What could cause a light grinding/crackling sound when riding up hills? Last year it made a similar noise from the crank/motor area which I fixed by adjusting the Motor Width Compensation bolts. Yesterday I retorqued the motor mount bolts hoping that would fix it. One was slightly loose but tightening it didn't solve the problem. Could the Motor Width Compensation Bolts have twisted out of spec even though the motor mounting bolts were tight? What else could cause a grinding sound when riding uphill? Thanks!
Had a similar issue over the weekend. I removed the cassette, greased the spline and re- torqued the lock nut to tight AF specs. Silent now

gmoss

Mar 21, 2024
Hickory, NC
3 months into ownership of my 9.8 XT. Noticed a creak with every pedal today , almost cicada like chirp. Right side crank was pretty loose. So far, that have been the only thing I have dealt with. Ridden right at 300 miles at this point. Very pleased so far. One thing I have noticed is that riding in Eco mode with the power turned down is almost harder, slower than riding my normal bike. The combo of weight and drag affect the feel of the bike. My normal bike responds much quicker to pedal input and accelerates quicker. My settings and riding preference for each is changing. I also find my normal bike a joy to ride again when I do ride it.

DugT

Sep 4, 2022
Truckee, CA
3 months into ownership of my 9.8 XT. Noticed a creak with every pedal today , almost cicada like chirp. Right side crank was pretty loose. So far, that have been the only thing I have dealt with. Ridden right at 300 miles at this point. Very pleased so far. One thing I have noticed is that riding in Eco mode with the power turned down is almost harder, slower than riding my normal bike. The combo of weight and drag affect the feel of the bike. My normal bike responds much quicker to pedal input and accelerates quicker. My settings and riding preference for each is changing. I also find my normal bike a joy to ride again when I do ride it.
I have my Eco mode set up so that the bike feels like a light fast bike in eco mode but not as fast and light as an "e-bike". This is in spite of my bike having big heavy sticky tires. I'm real happy with my Eco set up. Level to is enough to help me over steep or otherwise challenging terrain. Level 3 is to get me home fast.

gmoss

Mar 21, 2024
Hickory, NC
I have my Eco mode set up so that the bike feels like a light fast bike in eco mode but not as fast and light as an "e-bike". This is in spite of my bike having big heavy sticky tires. I'm real happy with my Eco set up. Level to is enough to help me over steep or otherwise challenging terrain. Level 3 is to get me home fast.
Where are your eco settings, set?

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Getting pretty muddy here in the southern hemisphere. Can anyone point me in the direction of a rear mud guard that works well on the EXE. Thanks in advance.
Regardless of which type or size of mud guard you use, protect the attachment points. Some mud guards require zip-ties placed through the guard and around the rear triangle. Zip-ties will quickly wear through the paint or the carbon/alloy frame.

A small wrap of heli-tape, electrical tape, Velcro strap, or all the above, where zip ties are used is helpful.

Besides protecting yourself, the dropper post, saddle, frame etc …try to protect the lower pivot area. Get a fender that reaches or slightly extends past this point.

gmoss

Mar 21, 2024
Hickory, NC
Thanks. I am well below where you are set. Will have to some more experimenting. I feel like I am working harder currently on eco mode than I do on my normal bike. I did a ride yesterday mostly on mid and used high for a couple sections.
I am still a little fuzzy on exactly what the % assist means.
IOW, does it mean that it assists 33% up to 54W, or something else?
Screenshot_20240604_150144_Trek Central.jpg

DugT

Sep 4, 2022
Truckee, CA
I set my assist levels up a couple of years ago and now I don't remember exactly but I think your example is correct.

gmoss

Mar 21, 2024
Hickory, NC
I bumped up the eco to liven it up a little. Either that or use the normal bike for some rides and the E for when I want to do bigger or faster rides. Appreciate the info.

DugT

Sep 4, 2022
Truckee, CA
Oops. The chain needed a new waxing. I took the motor out to check the width compensation screws and they were well within tolerance. That made the chain the most likely suspect so I waxed it again. I won't into the long story of why I stupidly originally thought it wasn't the chain.

Johnny Javelin

Mar 28, 2024
Cambridgeshire, UK
Yes, it has the carbon wheels and bars. The only xt on it is the rear mech and shifter ☹️
Finally got my bike back after having the parts swapped to XT, I now feel like I've got what I ordered, a full 9.8 XT build.
Having to bleed the bakes though, the shop did a lousy job setting them up.
Swapped the saddle for my old SDG Bel Air 3 and waxed the chain. Next job is to cut the carbon bars down, they're so wide I feel like I'm going to hit trees all the time!

justmyexe

Jun 3, 2024
canada
Just a quick one for anyone experiencing the dreaded creak when pedalling/bouncing up and down etc.

If you've already checked/done the following

-check motor width compensation bolts
-checked motor mount bolts torque
-checked chain ring lock ring torque
-checked all the suspension pivot bolts for torque and grease
-checked/replaced headset bearing
-checked everything that could move on the bike and torn your hair out.

And you still haven't found the cause of the creak, then try unscrewing the air can from the shock, clean and grease the air can threads then screw it back on.

I've been chasing a creak for months now, i tried everything, eventually I took the air can off, greased the threads and refitted it, and now the bike is silent again.
Dude, THANK YOU! I was losing my mind and have basically rebuilt this bike up multiple times trying to get rid of this f@#in creak, found this note and boom, back to silence! Never would have thought to check shock threads if not for this message

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles