Fuel EXe Official Trek Fuel EXe Megathread!

Jazzii

Jan 25, 2024
Slovakia
There was written a lot about shock mount knocking. This is why low shock mount starts to knock after a while. Original shock bolt is only 7,86mm diamenter, while every shock bushing is 8,0 mm inner diameter (does not matter if its RS, Fox, Ohlins....). So there is 0,14mm gap. To solve this prob just with higher tightening torque of this original bold will cause frame damage finally.
My solution was to ask local garage for custom precise 7,99mm bolt. Fits well, no gap, no micromovement, no too high bolt torque, no knocking.

IMG_2795.jpg IMG_2792.jpg IMG_2794.jpg

Last edited:

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Finally pulled the trigger on this bike a few weeks ago. The Powerfly HT in my stable had to go. My kid used it as much as I did so I could strip the good stuff off and he’d still have a great bike for his needs.

I lured the wife into the Trek dealer and eventually wandered over the Fuel EXE display. I stopped and stared at them for several minutes.

“Why don’t you buy it?” She said. I played the “It’s too expensive” card. We left. IMG_7293.jpeg
Alloy and Carbon models displayed here.

In the car she suggested that the Powerfly HT would be great for our son. My evil plan was working 🤞.

The next day I ordered a medium Fuel EXE 8, 2024, T-type transmission, 170mm dropper, etc…I’d add my upgrades to it. (Seat, carbon bar, magnetic peddles, Maxxis tires, Oury grips, and Ride Wrap.

When I received the bike a few days later, during the Ride Wrap installation process, I noticed that something was wrong. When retightening the rear axle to 10nm, things didn’t move freely. Back to the LBS. Four of us carefully watched the movement and assembly of the T-type transmission.

It was a young sales guy that noticed the threaded bushing for the axle was installed backwards. Problem solved. All the shop mechanics watched the YouTube setup procedure for this T-type derailer/transmision and I was on my way.

Since then I’ve ridden this bike almost every day. I can’t believe the smooth shifting and I’m getting use to the Sram brakes. I also realize how out-of-shape I was/am.

I haven’t seen another Fuel EXE in the wild…or maybe I never noticed. But the Down-Hill-Gravity assist level is amazing.

IMG_7414.jpeg
I can’t stop looking at it.…or using it. 🤩

treker

Feb 11, 2024
North Wales
Anyone have a bike rack that hangs their fuel exe vertically? Is that ok to do that? The garage is accumulating some bikes and we are thinking getting a rack for better storage, any recommendations is appreciated.
I hang mine on one of these. You can wheel it up on its back wheel so you don't have to lift it.

levity

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Founding Member
Feb 15, 2018
SoCal
Only you can answer that for your riding.
Are you having to squeeze too hard? Are your rotors overheating?

In principle you'll get more leverage and a lighter pull for the same applied force.
Shouldn't hurt, especially if you're a heavier rider riding more aggressively.

Julie_X1

Jan 22, 2023
Canada
Finally pulled the trigger on this bike a few weeks ago. The Powerfly HT in my stable had to go. My kid used it as much as I did so I could strip the good stuff off and he’d still have a great bike for his needs.

I lured the wife into the Trek dealer and eventually wandered over the Fuel EXE display. I stopped and stared at them for several minutes.

“Why don’t you buy it?” She said. I played the “It’s too expensive” card. We left. View attachment 134183
Alloy and Carbon models displayed here.

In the car she suggested that the Powerfly HT would be great for our son. My evil plan was working 🤞.

The next day I ordered a medium Fuel EXE 8, 2024, T-type transmission, 170mm dropper, etc…I’d add my upgrades to it. (Seat, carbon bar, magnetic peddles, Maxxis tires, Oury grips, and Ride Wrap.

When I received the bike a few days later, during the Ride Wrap installation process, I noticed that something was wrong. When retightening the rear axle to 10nm, things didn’t move freely. Back to the LBS. Four of us carefully watched the movement and assembly of the T-type transmission.

It was a young sales guy that noticed the threaded bushing for the axle was installed backwards. Problem solved. All the shop mechanics watched the YouTube setup procedure for this T-type derailer/transmision and I was on my way.

Since then I’ve ridden this bike almost every day. I can’t believe the smooth shifting and I’m getting use to the Sram brakes. I also realize how out-of-shape I was/am.

I haven’t seen another Fuel EXE in the wild…or maybe I never noticed. But the Down-Hill-Gravity assist level is amazing.

View attachment 134184
I can’t stop looking at it.…or using it. 🤩
Congrats! Love that red color. :love:

5earchkaine

Apr 9, 2023
Austria
Its called “de-rating” by TQ, and it is by design. I received this from them in my correspondence with TQ about the motor cutting power at higher temperatures;

“Under extreme circumstances, derating of the power may occur. This happens in small steps and only as much as is absolutely necessary to maintain the legally prescribed maximum surface temperatures of the motor.

Derating does not affect the lifetime of the engine. The circumstances that favour derating are:

- high ambient temperatures
- high rider weight / system weight
- long and very steep climbs
- low speed, little cooling by airflow

Especially in the usual area of use of the TREK Fuel EXE (trail biking) where uphills and downhills regularly alternate, there is usually no noticeable derating.”

As I wrote last summer, I am also affected by the derating problem. Last season I mainly drove in eco and mid mode. I've now done a winter test and the result is almost the same as in summer at 28 degrees. In boost, the performance drops massively after 10-15 minutes. the engine is extremely hot. Today it was only 6-8 degrees. I have 76kg ready to ride.

That can't be normal and would have been noticed in the numerous tests. I have now contacted the seller again. Back in the summer they said I should observe the behavior.

What are the experiences of those who drive a lot with boost?

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I’ve only had my Fuel EXE for less than a month, but I ride almost every day. I return with 30% battery (average) and use High mode (boost?) 90% of the time.

I’ve never experienced overheating but I did notice some stuttering during climbs in the beginning. In the app I adjusted the delay for a faster assist. This solved the stuttering issue during climbs.

I also shift much more and cadence is very important.…much more than the Bosch CX Rail. But when you point this bike downhill, and gravity takes over, there’s no comparison.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
What size?
I have 200mm front and rear, honestly it’s enough for 98% of what i do. Bigger rear brakes do make sense.
I did the opposite on my Rail (220mm front- 203mm rear. On the Fuel EXE I left the rotor sizing stock (203mm f/r).

I’m a lightweight rider (160lbs-ish) and this seems to work for me. My concern is brake modulation and excessively dragging the rear tire. I don’t seem to have that issue with the Fuel EXE.

Balboa

Sep 25, 2022
NL
As I wrote last summer, I am also affected by the derating problem. Last season I mainly drove in eco and mid mode. I've now done a winter test and the result is almost the same as in summer at 28 degrees. In boost, the performance drops massively after 10-15 minutes. the engine is extremely hot. Today it was only 6-8 degrees. I have 76kg ready to ride.

That can't be normal and would have been noticed in the numerous tests. I have now contacted the seller again. Back in the summer they said I should observe the behavior.

I did have the same problem during longer climbs in summer. During the winter I don't do long climbs, but didn't feel the TQ engine during use in colder days. I am 90kg without gear. Got a new engine after reporting this problem, but didn't have a change to check it durring long climbs at warmer days.

What I do - think - to feel is resistance with the TQ off after some use during a ride. I don't feel that much resistance - or at least I think - when I start a ride and have not used the engine.

5earchkaine

Apr 9, 2023
Austria
I did have the same problem during longer climbs in summer. During the winter I don't do long climbs, but didn't feel the TQ engine during use in colder days. I am 90kg without gear. Got a new engine after reporting this problem, but didn't have a change to check it durring long climbs at warmer days.

What I do - think - to feel is resistance with the TQ off after some use during a ride. I don't feel that much resistance - or at least I think - when I start a ride and have not used the engine.
I wrote the shop today asking for a motor replacement. Let's see what they say. I really hope that this will solve the problem. I really like the bike, but that behavior is a no-go for me. My friends Brose 90nm wasn't even lukewarm today on the second support mode and I could have fried an egg on mine.

5earchkaine

Apr 9, 2023
Austria
I’ve only had my Fuel EXE for less than a month, but I ride almost every day. I return with 30% battery (average) and use High mode (boost?) 90% of the time.

I’ve never experienced overheating but I did notice some stuttering during climbs in the beginning. In the app I adjusted the delay for a faster assist. This solved the stuttering issue during climbs.

I also shift much more and cadence is very important.…much more than the Bosch CX Rail. But when you point this bike downhill, and gravity takes over, there’s no comparison.
Fortunately I don't have stutter problems, only the fast de-rating. Previously I had a Bosch CX, but as you sad higher cadence is necessary. I'm always ride this way uphill (low gear, high cadence).

wheelsx2

Aug 27, 2023
Seattle, WA
Anyone having their drive chainring bolt loosen? This is the 3rd time in 1200 miles that a creak has developed that turned out to be the Drive chainring bolt. It's torqued to 50nm each time but still comes loose after 400 miles.

Emailsucks98

Nov 12, 2020
Bellingham Wa
Anyone having their drive chainring bolt loosen? This is the 3rd time in 1200 miles that a creak has developed that turned out to be the Drive chainring bolt. It's torqued to 50nm each time but still comes loose after 400 miles.
Mine's been problem free recently, but I did start cleaning and applying lock-tite to both the lock-ring and crank arm bolts.

JCU Delt Ox

Apr 22, 2022
Ohio, USA
Carbon versions are On Sale in the US. Looks to be about $1,000 discount on each model which makes the 9.5 the most discounted at 15.4%. As low as 7.7% on some higher models. If you're on the fence it might be a good time to pull the trigger.

I've personally been waiting on a Levo SL to come back in stock for over 4 months and might just jump on this.

Cell4soul

E*POWAH Master
Jul 11, 2022
Mesa, AZ
I hang mine on one of these. You can wheel it up on its back wheel so you don't have to lift it.

I hang mine, but all the weight is supported on the back wheel on my MTB’s. My gravel bikes just hang.

2CE152EB-1346-4180-B3AE-83E1CABEB75D.jpeg

Balboa

Sep 25, 2022
NL

I felt the engine last weekend after a few short climbs in boost. Conditions were wet and muddy and +/-10C. Engine did not feel hot, but as said, climbs were not long, max 100hm.

What I notice Is less accucapicity during colder days. I do need the RE for most rides. That said, when I ride on my one and mostly in boost I did a boostride last weekend of 29km 984hms and used 148%. An other ride mostly with some analoge bikers I used mostly eco and trail and did 27km 1140hms and used 120%. But it is a bit like comparing apples to oranges.

I did notice some creaks when standing on the pedals and putting some power on them by leaning the bike form side tot side. Torqued the enigebolts to the required nm. Maybe check the bearings. Read somewhere that they could be a bit dry.

5earchkaine

Apr 9, 2023
Austria
I felt the engine last weekend after a few short climbs in boost. Conditions were wet and muddy and +/-10C. Engine did not feel hot, but as said, climbs were not long, max 100hm.

What I notice Is less accucapicity during colder days. I do need the RE for most rides. That said, when I ride on my one and mostly in boost I did a boostride last weekend of 29km 984hms and used 148%. An other ride mostly with some analoge bikers I used mostly eco and trail and did 27km 1140hms and used 120%. But it is a bit like comparing apples to oranges.

I did notice some creaks when standing on the pedals and putting some power on them by leaning the bike form side tot side. Torqued the enigebolts to the required nm. Maybe check the bearings. Read somewhere that they could be a bit dry.
When you did the boostride, did you get constant 300w support from the motor all the time?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles