Fuel EXe Official Trek Fuel EXe Megathread!

Jan 26, 2023
Australia
Put on a set of E13 155mm cranks a while back (the ~$90 version). Hip preservation mitigation primarily. Easy to spin up and makes you shift a bit more frequently but rock strikes are way down and you can get a bit more drop on the seatpost if needed. Like them so far.
I too got the same ones and have ridden them for around 10 hours. I was surprised how good they felt. Like you said, better on body mechanics - especially on my knees (I am only 5'10). Climbing is easier, especially when you need to get power down, jumping is also better - more pop (even with me running a coil).

IMG_1074.JPG

Jazzii

Jan 25, 2024
Slovakia
Howdy, I've been trying to silence my internal cables from rattling up around the front end of the bike, near the head set- geez they are noisy. Anyone else had a similar issue and what was you solution? thanks Jack
Remove display, there are few cables and their plastic connectors. Wrap them with some foam foil and try to put them back with only foam foil contact with frame. Easier job if you remove fork as well.

rmcyes

Mar 7, 2024
Ireland
Cables are pretty well secured from what I can see. They pass through some internal tubing and even the fmdropper cable is secured in a plastic tray under the battery.

It cold well be some of the connections coming off the " smart box" or the 2 connections at the back of the screen.

All easily accessible once you pop out the screen on the top tube. All the connections are just pushed in there

Emailsucks98

Nov 12, 2020
Bellingham Wa
Howdy, I've been trying to silence my internal cables from rattling up around the front end of the bike, near the head set- geez they are noisy. Anyone else had a similar issue and what was you solution? thanks Jack
I removed the display from my top tube & stuffed some upholstery foam blocks from my local hardware store into the void. This pressed all the cables against the insides of the frame- $5 and too :05.
My rattle ended up being a OneUp seatpost- new key bushings fixed it.

Quinterly

Apr 22, 2020
Vancouver
Currently have a Rail, but been jonesing for something more nimble and lighter and there's currently some good deals from Trek on the EXe and am probably taking the plunge in the next day or two.

Been through this thread, but just want to check my thoughts. I'm ~170cm (hair under 5'8") and about a 30' inseam. When I bought my Rail, Trek's site suggested a Medium but it was just too big and went with the small. Reading through this thread looking closer at the geometry on Trek's site, more inclined to go medium with the EXe. My LBS doesn't have a small for a test ride (they can still get them) so if I want to compare it has to be the acoustic EX vs the EXe in a medium.

Am I right that it's probably medium? Will the EX be really close to comparable sizing to the EXe in a small?

Also, the price difference between the 9.5 and the 9.7 is $1000 CAD ($750 USD and €680). SLX over Deore (and the 2lbs savings) worth the price difference? I'm not one likely to do lots of upgrades once I buy it.

JCU Delt Ox

Apr 22, 2022
Ohio, USA
@Quinterly I can't help you with sizing, but if you don't mess with the bike after you buy it, the 9.5 spec is woefully inadequate. The Fox 36 will be considerably better, the M6100 brakes are light years ahead of the MT400's, and you get a genuine Shimano cassette with MS instead of Sunrace with a HG freehub. You could probably upgrade to your liking with the $1000 and be better off but if you don't tinker, the 9.7 is the right choice.

Twisted Fork

Nov 1, 2022
British Columbia, Canada
I'm ~170cm (hair under 5'8") and about a 30' inseam. When I bought my Rail, Trek's site suggested a Medium but it was just too big and went with the small. Reading through this thread looking closer at the geometry on Trek's site, more inclined to go medium with the EXe.

I'm not one likely to do lots of upgrades once I buy it.
I’m 5’8” with a 30” inseam as well, and the medium Ex-e fit me absolutely perfectly.
Definitely spring for the 9.7 over the 9.5 if you don’t plan on upgrading too much. The 36 Rhythm is a very nice fork. Not a lot of adjustments, but very well tuned with what it has. I rode a Rhythm on one of my other bikes for 3 years and found it perfectly adequate for heavy trail and tech. The 9.7 is very trail-worthy all on its own. The 9.5, not so much unless you just plan to cruise easier trails.

Quinterly

Apr 22, 2020
Vancouver
I’m 5’8” with a 30” inseam as well, and the medium Ex-e fit me absolutely perfectly.
Definitely spring for the 9.7 over the 9.5 if you don’t plan on upgrading too much. The 36 Rhythm is a very nice fork. Not a lot of adjustments, but very well tuned with what it has. I rode a Rhythm on one of my other bikes for 3 years and found it perfectly adequate for heavy trail and tech. The 9.7 is very trail-worthy all on its own. The 9.5, not so much unless you just plan to cruise easier trails.
Thanks ... definitely not easier trails. Ride a mix of darker blues or single blacks on the Shore or Burke. Things like that, but being fairly light as well I don't seem to tax my suspension most of the time. But definitely getting the idea that I should spend the extra money.

Twisted Fork

Nov 1, 2022
British Columbia, Canada
Thanks ... definitely not easier trails. Ride a mix of darker blues or single blacks on the Shore or Burke. Things like that, but being fairly light as well I don't seem to tax my suspension most of the time. But definitely getting the idea that I should spend the extra money.
Sounds like similar terrain to what I like too. The 9.7 will definitely handle it. I’m about 180 lbs geared up.

Quinterly

Apr 22, 2020
Vancouver
So, test rode the medium and it's definitely the right size. The only SL class bikes that are price competitive and available locally are the Transition Relay or the Orbea Rise, but I don't think either match the stealth or the overall package of the Fuel. Only concern I have is battery life but if worse comes to worse, there's always a range extender.

dcxs

Jan 22, 2024
swe
Regarding the other bikes I'll just say this, if you plan on peddling up long fire roads the Exe is less powerful then a 1st gen Levo SL (30nm) for shuttling.

Cell4soul

E*POWAH Master
Jul 11, 2022
Mesa, AZ
Regarding the other bikes I'll just say this, if you plan on peddling up long fire roads the Exe is less powerful then a 1st gen Levo SL (30nm) for shuttling.

My Levo SL 1.1 does about the same as my EXe on climbs, but does feel more punchy. The range on both is very similar too, even though the SL has the 320 wh battery.

Quinterly

Apr 22, 2020
Vancouver
Not overly concerned with range because most of my rides are 90 minutes or so unless I'm heading to Squamish or something where we put in longer days and it may be an issue.

Still going back and forth in my head about 9.5 vs 9.7. I think there's a 9.5 floor model at my LBS and since it's a 2023 I might be able to get that down a little but more. By the time you put taxes and everything in, it's more like $1200 or $1300 difference.

ohiomoto

Nov 14, 2023
Ohio
My wife and I both got EXe's last year. Her bike is a 9.5 and mine is a 9.7. There is nothing wrong with the 9.5. It's completely functional but I think the 9.7 is a slightly better value (if you can afford it). The wheels and brakes are the biggest reasons.

I've always ridden XT and XTR level bikes and honestly wouldn't change anything about my 9.7. I'm not fond of the brake levers on the 9.5 but my wife thinks they feel fine.

Last edited:

Quinterly

Apr 22, 2020
Vancouver
My wife and I both got EXe's last year. Her bike is a 9.5 and mine is a 9.7. There is nothing wrong with the 9.5. It's completely functional but I think the 9.7 is a slightly better value (if you can afford it). The wheels and brakes are the biggest reasons.

I've always ridden XT and XTR level bikes and honestly wouldn't change anything about my 9.7. I would change the brake levers on the 9.5. I'm not fond of the brake levers on the 9.5 but my wife thinks they feel fine.

Thanks. The reality is that the 9.5 is pretty similarly equipped as my Rail so I won't necessarily notice what I'm missing unless I do the better bike. I'll also be in less trouble at home with spending less (my wife is not a mountain biker ...) so I am leaning that way.

Canyon Shawn

Feb 4, 2023
Lake Sherwood, California
I got pretty decent range today. I had 12% battery left, when I got back home. I wish the app could tell us how much time we spend in which power mode. But, I’m going to guess 70% in low, 20% in medium and 10% in high mode. I ran into a couple with EXes. So, that was nice to see. I’m still recovering from 5 broken ribs. So, my average speed is a like slow. I’m usually around 10.1 mph. It’s getting better with every ride though.

IMG_2140.png

dcxs

Jan 22, 2024
swe
My Levo SL 1.1 does about the same as my EXe on climbs, but does feel more punchy. The range on both is very similar too, even though the SL has the 320 wh battery.
Just curious are you agreeing or disagreeing? Just wondering if my bike is broken or not ;)

Regarding 9.5 vs 9.7 I would say the sour spot is the breaks, they were the worst I have tried at least.

Cell4soul

E*POWAH Master
Jul 11, 2022
Mesa, AZ
Just curious are you agreeing or disagreeing? Just wondering if my bike is broken or not ;)

Regarding 9.5 vs 9.7 I would say the sour spot is the breaks, they were the worst I have tried at least.
I agree for the most part, they just ride very differently though. I never really ride the SL anymore now that I have the EXe. The EXe is a much more refined bike and the riding is more natural, as is the power delivery. I recently rode the SL with my son. He is bigger and taller than me, so I let him ride the large EXe, and I rode the medium SL. I was able to keep a faster overall pace and finished with more battery than the EXe. I am in much better riding shape than my son. I ride 3 days per week and he never rides, so that also made a difference. The EXe sucks the battery way more than the SL. The range is my only complaint on the EXe. I only ride in medium or max assist on any of my EMTB’s. What is the point of the lowest level of assist….if I wanted to ride with low assist, I’d ride my 28 lb Ibis instead.

Quinterly

Apr 22, 2020
Vancouver
Just curious, which store are you getting it from?
I got both my Rail and Fuel EXE from Trek in Coquitlam.
West Point Cycles. Their Main Street store is about a 10-minute walk for me. Pretty much the only bike I didn't buy from them since about 2005 was my Rail. Got that from Trek in Burnaby.

Emailsucks98

Nov 12, 2020
Bellingham Wa
Sunday I was 1k' into a steep climb when my motor failed. Even in walk-mode, it sounded kind of like an impact driver and was providing no assist. I assume it was a clutch of some sort. The bike pedaled fine with the motor turned off, so I was able to pedal/push the remainder of the climb and enjoy an awesome descent. Dropped it off at the local Trek store and within 24hrs they confirmed it will be under warranty and a replacement motor is on the way. Still I expect it will take a few weeks. dealer support has been awesome despite me having bought the bike elsewhere.

levity

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Founding Member
Feb 15, 2018
SoCal
@Emailsucks98 - Dang! That’s the first I’ve heard of a sudden catastrophic failure like that on the TQ motor . I hope they get you rolling, with motor assist, soon. How many miles do you have on the bike?

Mrs levity and I are off for another three week trip to Utah with our EXes In late April. I’m going to have to put your experience out of my mind!

Emailsucks98

Nov 12, 2020
Bellingham Wa
I hope they get you rolling, with motor assist, soon. How many miles do you have on the bike?
Can't check at the moment, but my sense is.... not a lot. I've had the bike since Oct '22 and it's been ridden 2-3x week for most of that. Most all my rides tend to be 2500-3500' in <20 miles. I'm guessing around 1000 miles and 200k' total. I've gone through 2 shocks, a rim and lots of tires in that time so I'm not surprised the motor needs some love.

We may hit Utah in May- Richfield & St George....

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Sunday I was 1k' into a steep climb when my motor failed. Even in walk-mode, it sounded kind of like an impact driver and was providing no assist. I assume it was a clutch of some sort. The bike pedaled fine with the motor turned off, so I was able to pedal/push the remainder of the climb and enjoy an awesome descent. Dropped it off at the local Trek store and within 24hrs they confirmed it will be under warranty and a replacement motor is on the way. Still I expect it will take a few weeks. dealer support has been awesome despite me having bought the bike elsewhere.
The clutch in my motor failed after about 400 miles/3 months, with mine the pedals became totally disconnected from the chain ring, they just span in either direction, so I couldn't even pedal it with the motor switched off.

The motor was replaced under warranty very quickly, and the new motor has been fine.

gmoss

Mar 21, 2024
Hickory, NC
New bike owner here. Read thru this whole thread, even took some screenshots, but did miss a couple things. Picked up a 23 9.8 XT yesterday. Rode it that afternoon. Pleased with the range, but figured out quickly that I had to make some changes. Moving parts from another bike to suit me.

Can there be overlap on the power modes depending on how you set them up?

I believe I read that someone did it, but planning on installing my 200mm Fox dropper if it will fit, with shim (ordered). Can somwone confirm? Either way, I have a 175 Fox too.

One thing I noticed when I loaded the TQ app and added screens I now have to double tap the button to scroll. On touch changes power mode. ?

Got to get the Invisiframe installed this weekend and will be ready for round two.

BTW, I did 19 miles and close to 1500 ft elev gain yesterday. Started at 87%, ended at 27%. Spent most of it in Eco, and kept adjsuting that down till I got it where I wanted.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles