Fuel EXe Official Trek Fuel EXe Megathread!

ragetty

Nov 20, 2022
Bad Tölz, Germany
I could use a little more drop than the Bontrager 150mm in my M – anyone know off-hand how much more (than 261mm) can go into the frame?

After a quick-&-dirty measurement on the outside of the seat tube, it does not look like there would be a lot more space available …

Thx …

Swingset

Sep 9, 2022
Southern Cal
I used the One up calculator for their post and am running 210mm drop on my large. One key way to get more stroke is to use a low stack saddle. I have an SQ Labs that allowed me the full 210.

socal_rider

Jun 6, 2021
Temecula, CA
I could use a little more drop than the Bontrager 150mm in my M – anyone know off-hand how much more (than 261mm) can go into the frame?

After a quick-&-dirty measurement on the outside of the seat tube, it does not look like there would be a lot more space available …

Thx …

From the Fuel EXe FAQ.

How much dropper post insertion does the frame have? (alloy & carbon)
S – 190mm, M – 225mm, L – 250mm, XL – 280mm. The minimum amount of insertion is 80mm.

Balboa

Sep 25, 2022
NL
Bought a Rockshox Coil damper but have to order new bushings. Does anyone know by accident what size bushings? Otherwise I have to remove the damper to meassure.

ragetty

Nov 20, 2022
Bad Tölz, Germany
From the Fuel EXe FAQ.

How much dropper post insertion does the frame have? (alloy & carbon)
S – 190mm, M – 225mm, L – 250mm, XL – 280mm. The minimum amount of insertion is 80mm.

… [edit] thx!

About 255mm of the 261mm insertable length of the 150mm Bonty post fits in the (my) M.

28mm of that is the actuator, and it feels like that is acting as the ‘stop’, so the quoted value is for the body of the post.

Last edited:

konamac

Apr 6, 2023
Namibia
Hi All, Following the release of the new Rock Shox Vivid, this is a pic of a roughly scaled cutout (205mm eye to eye) against my frame. There will be some possible interference with the bottle mount / tool as the remote reservoir rotates forward on the rocker.... but it looks like there will be a clearance problem between the massive inverted air can and the seat tube. The do make the shock in the applicable size and configuration for the bike, and they sell specific tune shocks for the Slash and Rail, any word if it will fit the Fuel EXe? I think the Fuel Ex won't be an issue either, as the lower mount seems further away from the seat tube? Anyone else looking into this or have access to a Vivid for sizing? I've asked the local Trek Importers for feedback too, let's see if they have any feedback. Would be a shame if one can't fit it, looks like a great shock option. Attached pics of cutout Viviid and stock setup...

IMG_9864.jpeg IMG_9865.jpeg

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Hi All, Following the release of the new Rock Shox Vivid, this is a pic of a roughly scaled cutout (205mm eye to eye) against my frame. There will be some possible interference with the bottle mount / tool as the remote reservoir rotates forward on the rocker.... but it looks like there will be a clearance problem between the massive inverted air can and the seat tube. The do make the shock in the applicable size and configuration for the bike, and they sell specific tune shocks for the Slash and Rail, any word if it will fit the Fuel EXe? I think the Fuel Ex won't be an issue either, as the lower mount seems further away from the seat tube? Anyone else looking into this or have access to a Vivid for sizing? I've asked the local Trek Importers for feedback too, let's see if they have any feedback. Would be a shame if one can't fit it, looks like a great shock option. Attached pics of cutout Viviid and stock setup...

View attachment 123099 View attachment 123100
agree - looks like the air can will foul the frame at the bottom.

Flow81

Oct 27, 2022
Cape Town

DugT

Sep 4, 2022
Truckee, CA
Should I get a small chainring? With the stock 34T chainring I need assist level 2 on steep sections and level 3 if the trail is steep and long. That works but I end up going kinda fast if I keep my rpm's up. My manual bike has a 28 tooth chainring and it is perfect. Should I just get used to the 34T or get a Wolf Tooth 30T? I wouldn't miss the lower high gear.

By the way, there is a side benefit of a smaller chainring. There would be less noise from cross chaining on the 51T cassette because I would use higher gears more often.

Yeh or Nay?

BBFII

Nov 4, 2020
Madison Wisconsin
Should I get a small chainring? With the stock 34T chainring I need assist level 2 on steep sections and level 3 if the trail is steep and long. That works but I end up going kinda fast if I keep my rpm's up. My manual bike has a 28 tooth chainring and it is perfect. Should I just get used to the 34T or get a Wolf Tooth 30T? I wouldn't miss the lower high gear.

By the way, there is a side benefit of a smaller chainring. There would be less noise from cross chaining on the 51T cassette because I would use higher gears more often.

Yeh or Nay?
The stock ring is 32T. (unless something get swapped)
30T would keep you out of that maxed out gear.
in 30T-10T you'll be over the speed cutoff by 75 rpms. yes, the EXe pedals well over the cutoff, but for overall assisted trail riding it should be fine.
bike speed 30-32-34.png

DugT

Sep 4, 2022
Truckee, CA
The stock ring is 32T. (unless something get swapped)
30T would keep you out of that maxed out gear.
in 30T-10T you'll be over the speed cutoff by 75 rpms. yes, the EXe pedals well over the cutoff, but for overall assisted trail riding it should be fine. View attachment 123154
Thanks for the info!

I looked at my bike and the chain ring is 32T like you said.
I googled the spec for it and got 34t. Just now I went to Treks website and found this for my exe 9,8XT.
1692843626054.png

Going from 32t to 30t is only 6.4% improvement. I wish there was a 28T chainring but I would notice the difference and prefer the 30t.

DBSwiss

Oct 25, 2022
United States
It’s a 2.4, not easiest to seat. A little tough to get on the rim, I usually partially inflate and then spray some soapy water around the tire and rim. And it seats.
I put the same tire on my 9.8XT As well and I love it after the first ride. It also took me a while to get it on. Could not do it in the stand so I put it on the floor and stepped on it to keep the tire on the rim While getting the rest in.

DBSwiss

Oct 25, 2022
United States
I got my bike back yesterday and rode it home for like 4 miles. I swear it has more power in High mode, with the new motor. That’s the only mode I rode it in because it’s up hill all the way home. And when I got home, I realized that the motor settings had reverted back to default. So, I wasn’t even at full power. I’ll take it for a 30 mile single track ride this weekend and see how it goes. The only thing I don’t like about getting a new motor is the odometer and all your settings revert back to default.
This could also be caused by a software update. My bike was very hesitant in boost and would never give me the expected power based on the settings. It also was cutting out when pedaled at a steady pace (not accelerating). A software update back in April improved that a lot.

Canyon Shawn

Feb 4, 2023
Lake Sherwood, California
This could also be caused by a software update. My bike was very hesitant in boost and would never give me the expected power based on the settings. It also was cutting out when pedaled at a steady pace (not accelerating). A software update back in April improved that a lot.
Yeah, that could be. Although, just before they changed motors, the original motor was up to date. I had no complaints with the first motor. But, after putting about 60 miles on the new one, it definitely has more power. Other than that, it feels just like the first motor.

wheelsx2

Aug 27, 2023
Seattle, WA

View attachment 123099 View attachment 123100

I have a large 9.7. Love the bike but really struggling with the Float X. Even with no tokens, I am only using 70% of travel and that is with 36% dynamic sag on the shock wiz. I have a float X on my Ripley, so I know how these should work. Unless mine is a weird/messed up tune, I should definitely be getting more travel. The other explanation is that the geometry is very progressive and needs a more linear spring.

I tried a Mara Pro. I had a Mara on the Ripley too, and it was very nice. The stupid long piggy back on the pro hits the downtime, so no go.

I was going to try a coil, but when I saw the Vivid, I though, Hmm.

It fits on my Large. Barely. At full compression, the lower air can is within 1mm of contacting the frame. I went to the trouble of making a wood lower spacer to install the shock to see if it fit, before I committed to the install.

First ride will be tomorrow. Fingers crossed I get the tunability that the Float X did not have.

IMG_9703 copy.jpg IMG_9704 copy.jpg IMG_9706 copy.jpg

Bikewrench

Aug 27, 2023
Germany
Sram UDH stop on the seat stay of the carbon frames - this part is very fragile. The UDH says 25nm torque, but I would not suggest that much. Enough where it doesn’t move and maybe hold the udh with your hand while torquing hand tight. The reason I say that is because I gouged my EXe 9.7 this way.
Thank you for sharing this topic with pictures.
100% agree with you. Same issue for me =/ - It's quite fragile, be careful with the UDH.

wheelsx2

Aug 27, 2023
Seattle, WA
The Helix race look nice and are reasonably priced.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles