Fuel EXe Official Trek Fuel EXe Megathread!

ChrisDT

May 10, 2023
Colorado
With all Fuel EXEs at 25-30% off retail prices here it must be new model time.
Wait ... hol up. Where are you seeing 25-30% off? I saw Specialized have massively discounted the older Turbo Levo SL Comp models but haven't seen any discounting on EXe's, but would love it if they did.

Swingset

Sep 9, 2022
Southern Cal
Yep Trek is selling them without any batteries now. You just have to order one and hope they come in at some point. Don't forget to order the strap, cable, screws and end caps!

Extreme sarcasm above.

JP-NZ

E*POWAH Elite
Feb 17, 2022
Christchurch - New Zealand
Wait ... hol up. Where are you seeing 25-30% off? I saw Specialized have massively discounted the older Turbo Levo SL Comp models but haven't seen any discounting on EXe's, but would love it if they did.
Everywhere here in New Zealand. Fuel EX-E's have been on 20%+ discount for the last 3 months. I believe Trek must be holding a lot of stock plus there must be a new model coming soon to discount so much.

Cheapest Ive seen

EXE 9.5 = $7499 NZD incl taxes is $4617 USD 2023 Trek Fuel EXe 9.5 Matte Hex Blue

EXE 9.7 = $8999 NZD incl taxes is $5540 USD 2023 Trek Fuel EXe 9.7 Grey/Black Fade

EXE 9.8XT = $10,999 incl taxes is $6772 USD 2023 Trek Fuel EXe 9.8 XT

TheRed

Oct 6, 2022
Midlands, UK
Crank arm torques can vary by manufacturer, best to check with them first.
Chainring lockring - 50Nm, revised upwards from 30Nm some months ago.
I've just been having a creaking issue - turns out the motor bolts were too slack, now torqued correctly to 20Nm, creaking noise now gone :), suggest check those first.
Any chance you could show me which bolts they are?

ChrisDT

May 10, 2023
Colorado
Everywhere here in New Zealand. Fuel EX-E's have been on 20%+ discount for the last 3 months. I believe Trek must be holding a lot of stock plus there must be a new model coming soon to discount so much.

Cheapest Ive seen

EXE 9.5 = $7499 NZD incl taxes is $4617 USD 2023 Trek Fuel EXe 9.5 Matte Hex Blue

EXE 9.7 = $8999 NZD incl taxes is $5540 USD 2023 Trek Fuel EXe 9.7 Grey/Black Fade

EXE 9.8XT = $10,999 incl taxes is $6772 USD 2023 Trek Fuel EXe 9.8 XT
Very interesting. Just looking at the 9.5, in USD, is ~$2k cheaper than what it costs here in the US. That's significant. Come on, TrekUSA, follow-suit ... Thanks for sharing.

Cell4soul

E*POWAH Master
Jul 11, 2022
Mesa, AZ
One of the more odd riding experiences in my very long career on Sunday. Went to the local bike park to do some laps. We had a very wet winter in Southern Cal and there is no shortage of food running around the now very thick brush. I am riding up a steep single track with poison oak everywhere. I see something slither out of the weeds and over my front rim. Next thing I know I see a pink mouth with a forked tongue wrapped around the spokes like a second rim. I throw the brakes on and promptly fall into a poison oak bush with a very confused snake trying to figure out how to get off the Ferris wheel eye to eye. It, thankfully, took off in the other direction. It was about a four foot racer of some type. I was freaking out honestly. Thankfully I was wearing enough coverage to avoid a rash.

Yesterday was a half dozen snakes with two rattlers on a moto ride. Its snaky out right now.
Photos below are from about 2 weeks ago. I’ve seen quite a few on the trails as well. I ran over a Diamondback Rattlesnake a couple days after this, but didn’t get a photo. It was too late to bale off the bike, so I just lifted my legs and ran the snake over. He hissed and struck. A kid on my local trails was recently struck by a rattlesnake when he fell into a bush. Be careful out there.

0E017669-04F6-4618-A2D3-CAA681BC8802.jpeg 362E5ED6-C362-431C-B4A5-A942F3B7B66D.jpeg

Emailsucks98

Nov 12, 2020
Bellingham Wa
Push 11-6 available for order today for the EX-e!
The coil shock that intrigues me would be a marzocchi bomber CR modified by Avalanche downhill. Aside from their SSD damper mods, Craig can add a bumper stack to make the shock progressive, larger diameter coil, and a shorter reservoir (apparently required for 65mm stroke). You could be all-in for $550.

I’m too happy with my bike as-is though!
Next upgrade: wash pads 🥳

JP-NZ

E*POWAH Elite
Feb 17, 2022
Christchurch - New Zealand
Photos below are from about 2 weeks ago. I’ve seen quite a few on the trails as well. I ran over a Diamondback Rattlesnake a couple days after this, but didn’t get a photo. It was too late to bale off the bike, so I just lifted my legs and ran the snake over. He hissed and struck. A kid on my local trails was recently struck by a rattlesnake when he fell into a bush. Be careful out there.
We don't have any snakes over here although I have seen one in real life in Australia.

They scare the sh!t outta me!

Canyon Shawn

Feb 4, 2023
Lake Sherwood, California
Well hell. The first time I carefully washed my 9.7 I got a couple of error codes. I was able to do a reset and clear them myself. Now, with about 500 miles, I took it to my girlfriends bike shop for a new set of Maxxis Recons and a firmware check. Their Ebike guy saw the error codes, contacted Trek and they are going to put a new motor in it. Except for the error codes that I got, everything has worked flawlessly. So, I was kinda hesitant to have it changed. But, I’ve been told the motors have been updated and their Ebike guy is super anal. So, I know he’ll do a good job. As far as the 2.6” Recons go, I really like them. They have good grip. They are around 200 grams lighter per tire and you can feel the lightness. I could feel that the motor was able to accelerate the bike faster. Because they are lighter, I upped pressure by 2 psi on both tires.

TheRed

Oct 6, 2022
Midlands, UK
Regarding the creak and the bottom shock bolt. Are Trek replacing bushings or the bolt? If the bolt is the issue, how will new bushings fix the issue?

Also is there anyway to diagnose that the issue is definitely the shock bolt without taking the shock out and replacing the bushing. For instance is there detectable play in the shock when it's rotated or pushed?

Ta

Swagger

Jul 7, 2023
New Hampshire
Long time lurker, first time poster. I've been having the creak issue on my stock 9.7. Trek replaced the bottom shock bolt last week. Ride is still creaking brutally. Any suggestion? Its easily the worst bike for creaking I've ever owned. Its to the point I no longer want to ride it.

They also took apart and greased the lower linkages on the bike (or so they claim), they did that before the bolt replacement. Made no difference.

Recorded a 40 second video of the creak. You can hear it get loud when I move my phone near the rear shock, around the 27 second mark.

Swagger

Jul 7, 2023
New Hampshire
To add one more comment on the creaking, here is what Trek torqued the bolts to. I snapped this picture a week ago at the local bike shop from the internal trek website. (Note that this didn't fix the creaks, but are the latest torque specifications from trek)

torque specs.jpeg

TheRed

Oct 6, 2022
Midlands, UK
Long time lurker, first time poster. I've been having the creak issue on my stock 9.7. Trek replaced the bottom shock bolt last week. Ride is still creaking brutally. Any suggestion? Its easily the worst bike for creaking I've ever owned. Its to the point I no longer want to ride it.

They also took apart and greased the lower linkages on the bike (or so they claim), they did that before the bolt replacement. Made no difference.

Recorded a 40 second video of the creak. You can hear it get loud when I move my phone near the rear shock, around the 27 second mark.
That sounds just like mine!!!!

It's driving me mad!

All my bikes are silent, the only noise i hear is my bee-buzz freehub. This sounds like it's ready for scrap, and it's getting worse.

Swagger

Jul 7, 2023
New Hampshire
That sounds just like mine!!!!

It's driving me mad!

All my bikes are silent, the only noise i hear is my bee-buzz freehub. This sounds like it's ready for scrap, and it's getting worse.
I'm hating my bike. It's gotten to the point where I want to sell it and get something else that's not a trek.

Swagger

Jul 7, 2023
New Hampshire
Those with the clicking noise coming from the motor area, see this post from a while back: Fuel EXe - Official Trek Fuel EXe Megathread!

Those that are getting a clunking noise from the rear shock, make sure you torque the lower and upper shock bolts.

All torque specs are in the official owner's manual.
Thanks for the links. I get the clicking noise (see my video above about 5 posts back) even if I'm not pedaling. So I'm thinking it's not the motor?

I just checked the upper and lower shock mount bolts again a few minutes ago. They are set to the trek specifications.

Swingset

Sep 9, 2022
Southern Cal
You need the widest lower shock bushing you can fit which is 40mm (stock was 39.88 on my Fox) and torque it up to at least 17nm. The frame bracket is really stiff and you need to clamp the shock bushing or it can rattle.

Swagger

Jul 7, 2023
New Hampshire
You need the widest lower shock bushing you can fit which is 40mm (stock was 39.88 on my Fox) and torque it up to at least 17nm. The frame bracket is really stiff and you need to clamp the shock bushing or it can rattle.
Thanks swingset for the bushing info. I'll call my lbs to see what they put in there last week. Do you have a link to the one you bought?

Swingset

Sep 9, 2022
Southern Cal
Little hack. Bought an SQ Labs saddle and it has about 6mm shorter height from rail to saddle top than the Ergon I had on it previously. I was able to take 10mm of spacers out of my One Up seatpost and use the full 210mm of travel. I am right at the limit on a large frame at my height though.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Those with the clicking noise coming from the motor area, see this post from a while back: Fuel EXe - Official Trek Fuel EXe Megathread!

Or even better, this post: Tq hpr50 clicking sound

Those that are getting a clunking noise from the rear shock, make sure you torque the lower and upper shock bolts.

All torque specs are in the official owner's manual.
yep - if you've checked the shock mount bolts , and greased the pivots and you're still getting the creaking theres a good chance it because the motor mounting compensation screws are not set to the correct width, you need some vernier calipers to measure the frame gap accurately and set the compensation screws , but they're only 20 quid from amazon.

Mine were set miles away from correctly and it creaked terribly, bought some vernier calipers, measured the gap in the frame and set the compensation screws to the same width and all is silent.

Swagger

Jul 7, 2023
New Hampshire
yep - if you've checked the shock mount bolts , and greased the pivots and you're still getting the creaking theres a good chance it because the motor mounting compensation screws are not set to the correct width, you need some vernier calipers to measure the frame gap accurately and set the compensation screws , but they're only 20 quid from amazon.

Mine were set miles away from correctly and it creaked terribly, bought some vernier calipers, measured the gap in the frame and set the compensation screws to the same width and all is silent.
So take these two screws out, measure the frame gap and then mark the screws and put them back in to that mark? 20nm torque is what that guide says.

Do you remember the frame gap number from when you did it?

Swingset

Sep 9, 2022
Southern Cal
The two compensation screws are just adjustable shims to get the motor to fit to the frame as closely as possible. If you can get a zero gap that is ideal to let the two motor screws clamp up. Same concept as the lower shock bolt in reality.

Swagger

Jul 7, 2023
New Hampshire
Ordering some calipers, let's see if it helps. Just went out on the bike in my lawn, still creaks after setting the lower shock torque to 17nm. Video below. I think my head or front forks creak too, notice how loud it gets when I move the phone up there. Trek are killing me, 120 miles on the bike.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
So take these two screws out, measure the frame gap and then mark the screws and put them back in to that mark? 20nm torque is what that guide says.

Do you remember the frame gap number from when you did it?
Read this post ( the exact one that is linked with the excerpts from the tq motor installation guide)

The motor is adjustable for width using what TQ refer to as motor compensation screws (these are not the bolts that fix the motor to the frame,but those bolts do pass through the middle of the motor compensation screws). Due to variances in the frames , it's necessary to be able to adjust the width of the motor so it fits perfectly in the gap between the motor mounting points of the frame. You use the Vernier calipers to measure the distance between the two motor mounting tabs on the frame, then you set the motor compensation screws to the same width so that the motor fits perfectly into the gap in the frame, then you use the motor mounting bolts to fix the motor to the frame.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles