Fuel EXe Official Trek Fuel EXe Megathread!

socal_rider

Jun 6, 2021
Temecula, CA
I am well aware of the psychosomatic aspect of turning the assist off...always makes me think I have a flat tire when I do it on level ground. However, what is being described is an actual added drag.

I had not experienced it before reading of it in this thread as I don't turn the assist off when climbing. Reading about it got me experimenting with it on a hill and I found it became extremely hard to pedal. I found that if I turned the bike off instead of just the assist the drag was gone and climbing felt normal.

While riding at Brown County State Park in Indiana this past Saturday, we stopped after a climb and chatted with another group of riders. One of them was a Trek employee involved with their ebikes (and riding an EXe) that had come down from Wisconsin. Among other questions, I asked about this drag and he confirmed it is a real thing caused by the clutch not fully disengaging. He told me the best way around it is to turn the bike off to climb with no assist. He also said that early on they just used warranty replacement to deal with some problems and that this drag is not considered a warranty item now.

He also told me to expect the extender battery during July in the US.

I was very happy to get some straight answers direct from a Trek employ that actually rides the EXe. He was fully knowledgeable about all things I brought up. Hope to run into him again someday.

I appreciate you posting this. This is good information.

This is why I like forums like this so much. Folks here often know more than the dealers do.

BiGJZ74

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 17, 2021
American Canyon, CA
I was actually in the market about to pull the trigger on a 9.8xt thats available locally. I wanted it to be my only bike due to its stealthiness and was gonna sell my Deviate Claymore, Rise H, and Orbea rallon. As a big guy, I need extenders for all my rides...use one on my Rise H every time. The lack of availability of them is why I didn't buy it. Still selling the Enduro bikes and bought a Spur instead to have a fun bike. Down the road I still plan on getting an EXe but not until the batteries are readily available.

pat1032

Feb 22, 2023
santa cruz
Still figuring out the creaking on my bike :(. I regressed and torqued to spec all frame bolts including motor bolts. Only bolt I didn’t get to is the main pivot bolt on drive train side cause i don’t want to screw anything up. Not sure how to remove cranks and chain guide, are there any special tools I need? Don’t want to screw anything up. Couldn’t find any videos that showed how to access and remove main pivot bolt on drive train side

Big Mac

Mar 9, 2023
US
Still figuring out the creaking on my bike :(. I regressed and torqued to spec all frame bolts including motor bolts. Only bolt I didn’t get to is the main pivot bolt on drive train side cause i don’t want to screw anything up. Not sure how to remove cranks and chain guide, are there any special tools I need? Don’t want to screw anything up. Couldn’t find any videos that showed how to access and remove main pivot bolt on drive train side
I would suggest looking at the service manual for the Fuel EXe, which I attached. Or you can easily find it on Trek’s website. It shows what needs to be greased and the proper torque specs. As for special tools you will need a 20-notch bottom bracket tool to remove the chainring, which is required to remove the main pivot bolt.

Note that it’s very important to reinstall the crank in the proper orientation, apply grease to the right places and torque the lockring to 50Nm as stated in the service manual (even though the lockring may show 30Nm on it).

Hope this helps and please respond back if you find the source of the creak.

Attachments

• TK_Fuel_EXe_ServiceManual_MY23_EN-US_Rev3_2023-02-07.pdf
    5.3 MB · Views: 174

LuvnmyEXE

Nov 11, 2022
Annapolis, MD
I'm in exactly this situation as well. Been hesitant to pull off the chain ring, but not much choice now.

pat1032

Feb 22, 2023
santa cruz
I would suggest looking at the service manual for the Fuel EXe, which I attached. Or you can easily find it on Trek’s website. It shows what needs to be greased and the proper torque specs. As for special tools you will need a 20-notch bottom bracket tool to remove the chainring, which is required to remove the main pivot bolt.

Note that it’s very important to reinstall the crank in the proper orientation, apply grease to the right places and torque the lockring to 50Nm as stated in the service manual (even though the lockring may show 30Nm on it).

Hope this helps and please respond back if you find the source of the creak.
This is very helpful. Thank you! I’m a little hesitant to start removing the drivetrain components so I might go to a LBS and have them do it. I have a torque wrench that goes to 20nM so nothing close to 50nm. I could go on feel but would rather be safe and have a professional make sure the lock ring is torqued to spec.

mitea

Sep 10, 2022
Switzerland - LU
He told me the best way around it is to turn the bike off to climb with no assist. He also said that early on they just used warranty replacement to deal with some problems and that this drag is not considered a warranty item now.

Wonder why it behaves different if the bike is turned on without any support.

Hope they can fix that by a software update that emulates turning off the bike when no support is activated also. I would like to get all the data from the bike while riding without any support such as speed power and rpm. For me it sounds possible to let the sensors on but completely turn off the motor.

For the long term I hope they can fix the clutch issue in the hardware. Lots of bikes in europe seem to be delayed by some months. My LBS told me first that its because TQ wants to fix something and then he told me its because Trek doesnt get the motors from TQ. So maybe its both and they are still fixing the clutch issue and are designing and producing revision 2 of their motor.

BraveSirRobin

May 10, 2023
Worcester, UK
I had an issue with my EXe today…. When I switch it on it reported Error 049C Drive Sensor and then after a restart 049E Drive Sensor… this does not go away after a restart or a reset, so it’s off to my local dealer for some warranty support! I noticed when I last rode it that power from the motor cut out briefly a few times whilst pedalling making it feel draggy and lumpy (I guess because the clutch/motor were still engaged without providing any drive)… there was no indication of an error on the display at the time. Anyway when I spoke to the dealer this morning he mentioned that a bike came in with the same (or similar) issue and that it was fixed with a recent firmware update. My current firmware versions are Motor: 1.4.132; HMI: 1.1.110; Battery: 1.99.5. Has anyone had a similar issue? Or does anyone have details on the most recent firmware release?

Aside from this hopefully minor issue I am loving the EXe and today was the first day back on the NoE-MTB since purchase!

thomasbran

Feb 15, 2023
Italy
I had an issue with my EXe today…. When I switch it on it reported Error 049C Drive Sensor and then after a restart 049E Drive Sensor… this does not go away after a restart or a reset, so it’s off to my local dealer for some warranty support! I noticed when I last rode it that power from the motor cut out briefly a few times whilst pedalling making it feel draggy and lumpy (I guess because the clutch/motor were still engaged without providing any drive)… there was no indication of an error on the display at the time. Anyway when I spoke to the dealer this morning he mentioned that a bike came in with the same (or similar) issue and that it was fixed with a recent firmware update. My current firmware versions are Motor: 1.4.132; HMI: 1.1.110; Battery: 1.99.5. Has anyone had a similar issue? Or does anyone have details on the most recent firmware release?

Aside from this hopefully minor issue I am loving the EXe and today was the first day back on the NoE-MTB since purchase!
Where can you read the actual firmware versions?

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone

You already have the most recent firmware according to the tq support pages

Magnacus

Subscriber
May 11, 2023
Munich, Germany
I have a bit of a gap between bearing and headset cap. Is this normal or does it need pressed in more? View attachment 113585

The "problem" with this preinstalled headset is the missing seal.
It's a very cheap version from Bontraeger. I have had the same gap.

So... I used a old headsetcap from a Cane Creek 40:

1683816092607.png

The seal is now protecting the bearing from water and dirt.
If you want to protect your bearing too, you may buy the cover as a spare part:

Definitely worth it:cool:(y)

Pinkmaggit

May 4, 2023
Wellington, NZ
I have a 9.5 also. I've been running tubeless since day 1, no issues thankfully.

I didn't get a chain guide with mine - was yours included in the stock build? I get the same issue with the dropper post trigger getting stuck, it's very annoying.

Similar gap to yours on the headset cap. Hadn't noticed until I read your post and checked it.
I did get the chainguide on the stock build, yes. The Bolts have already rusted on it though :LOL:
IMG_7495.jpg

I had some good news about the wheels this week. Trek replaced them with a Bontrager Line Elite 30 Carbon wheelset and XT cassette under warranty. It took a little over a month for them to be replaced but a good end result I think. While it was away, I asked about the headset and the workshop guy said it was fine.

Will look to swap the top part out for something that seals better, like the one mentioned above (thank you!)

Julie_X1

Jan 22, 2023
Canada
I did get the chainguide on the stock build, yes. The Bolts have already rusted on it though :LOL:
View attachment 114375

I had some good news about the wheels this week. Trek replaced them with a Bontrager Line Elite 30 Carbon wheelset and XT cassette under warranty. It took a little over a month for them to be replaced but a good end result I think. While it was away, I asked about the headset and the workshop guy said it was fine.

Will look to swap the top part out for something that seals better, like the one mentioned above (thank you!)

Those are great upgrades under warranty, congrats!

The bolts of the chainguide on my 9.7 are also starting to rust, lol. Think I’m going to apply a tiny bit of Fluid Film to them…

ChrisDT

May 10, 2023
Colorado
Among other questions, I asked about this drag and he confirmed it is a real thing caused by the clutch not fully disengaging. He told me the best way around it is to turn the bike off to climb with no assist.

Man, I was so close to pulling the trigger and buying the ExE primarily because I liked the idea that it seems of all the emtbs out there, this was the one that would be closest to being able to pedal like a regular mtb. I like the idea of being able to pedal without assist to work on my fitness and strength, and use assist when I get tired/not strong enough for the hills.

Now I'm really confused and uncertain about buying it until we know what this issue is. If it's a hardware issue I'd best be waiting for the next gen but who knows when that will be.

Cell4soul

E*POWAH Master
Jul 11, 2022
Mesa, AZ
I just called for an update on my full battery. It's been pushed out many times now, but recently it's been "coming next week" for the last 3-4 weeks. Hopefully it's actually in the next few weeks, snow is melting out!

I think I am going to change my order from the range extender to the battery and get the Evoc E-Bike backpack. That would give me 720 wh of battery total. That would get me 40 miles and 5,000' elevation. I could keep one in my truck if I am riding laps. That would be some long rides. Evoc backpack: EVOC FR Trail Hydration Pack with Integrated Back Protection - Evoc Sports USA

Swingset

Sep 9, 2022
Southern Cal
Man, I was so close to pulling the trigger and buying the ExE primarily because I liked the idea that it seems of all the emtbs out there, this was the one that would be closest to being able to pedal like a regular mtb. I like the idea of being able to pedal without assist to work on my fitness and strength, and use assist when I get tired/not strong enough for the hills.

Now I'm really confused and uncertain about buying it until we know what this issue is. If it's a hardware issue I'd best be waiting for the next gen but who knows when that will be.
Maybe overthinking this a bit.

Cell4soul

E*POWAH Master
Jul 11, 2022
Mesa, AZ

I think we more often hear about the issues more than the positive. My EXe has just under 1,000 miles and I have not had a single issue with the bike. I purchased it in late September. The motor is still quiet.

ChrisDT

May 10, 2023
Colorado
Maybe overthinking this a bit.
I definitely don't disagree with this, but a $7k purchase is a big outlay for me. I don't know if this is a "1 in a 1000" occurrence or very common occurrence. Given my primary criteria is purchasing a emtb that offers easy no-assist pedalling, this unfortunately does become a factor in my decision making process.

Does anyone know if this phenomena occurs from the get-go or develops over time? That is, if I bought the bike today, would I experience the issue during my 30 day return period or could it develop over time post my 30 day window?

thomasbran

Feb 15, 2023
Italy

Swingset

Sep 9, 2022
Southern Cal
Lots of mis-perceptions early in this thread about a motor 'grind' that is not the right term. Under low wattage pedaling there is a slight flutter from the motor that I can replicate easily. I don't much think about it anymore. I don't believe its a mechanical issue but a motor trait. The pedals great with the motor off. If there is a another clutch issue independent of this its been small. Yeah these bikes are too damn expensive.

Emailsucks98

Nov 12, 2020
Bellingham Wa
I definitely don't disagree with this, but a $7k purchase is a big outlay for me. I don't know if this is a "1 in a 1000" occurrence or very common occurrence. Given my primary criteria is purchasing a emtb that offers easy no-assist pedalling, this unfortunately does become a factor in my decision making process.

I agree with Swingset. I've had mine since Oct '22 and have ridden it 2-3x a week since, all through a wet muddy winter. Killed a bunch of drive train and other parts. The frame and motor have been solid, quiet, zero issues.

I don't mean to throw shade at anyone who has had issues with theirs, but I do think light eBikes get a wild range of reviews because expectations are all over the board. I would say- with any eBike- expect more maintenance than you'd put into a meat bike. Grease, locktite and torque wrench (maybe a few beers too...)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles