Fuel EXe Official Trek Fuel EXe Megathread!

grim007

Apr 11, 2019
Israel
Many of us have not had an issue with this. I’ve had the shocks on and off my EXe and my wife’s EXe multiple times to tune or service. Check the torque on the upper and lower bolts. I use 15Nm on both, but many seem to require 17Nm to secure theirs.
I have the issue.
There is no play you can feel with your hand, but if I compress the shock a bunch of times and then apply side pressure on the shock/piggyback there is a "knack/creak" sound coming out from it.
I torqed the top bolts to 17 and the lower bolt to 15 and it still happens

macbeth89

Mar 27, 2023
Germany
Hi Guys,
just wanted to tell you Wolftooth now offers chainrings for the tq-system:

ragetty

Nov 20, 2022
Bad Tölz, Germany
First real battery shakedown tour today … 940hm / 45km / 19.1 km/h / 92-9% / rider total 72kg

Mostly with 100W / 100% / 30%. some @maximum, some @off — after some initial heavy battery usage (range anxiety coming on ;-), consumption settled down - as I saw that I had enough Wh left, the last 15% of the climb was with 300 / 200 / 100.

Outlook for useable terrain coverage looks promising👍🏼

X-axis is time:
Screenshot 2023-05-20 at 16.57.10.png

Last edited:

Oldfella

Feb 1, 2023
new zealand
Hi y’all.

I’m down here in Texas and I have been having a consistent issue with my bike creaking. It’s a 9.8 AXS (they gave it to me at XT prices since the XT i bought online had a motor issue) I have had it in the shop 3 times now. I just got it back from them going over it for 2 weeks and it made it all of 1/2 mile into the ride before the noise returned.

I had to have a friend pick up the bike yesterday since I wasn’t able to make it before close and wanted to ride.

The creak is not from the seat as it does it both on and off the saddle. I’m actually writing this from a chill spot at the trail because it’s driving me so crazy.

If I hold bike by the grip and push and pull on the drive side crank I can easily replicate the sound. I’m very familiar with wrenching on bikes and carbon frames so I realize it could be coming from anywhere. Sounds as though it’s coming from the rocker or the main pivot.

I am hesitant to take it in again since it’s prime riding season here and it’ll probably be mid 90s in two weeks. I have been taking it in since it’s so new, but at this point I’m willing to track it down myself. I am almost at the point of asking for a refund on the bike. Coming from a Levo SL the silence is beautiful but being ruined by the creaking.
I had a creak and it was coming from the bearing in the chainstay where the axle goes through. The bearings were rough and after replacing them it turned out to be where the bearings are housed in the chain stay the holes were oval.
Ordered a new chainstay that came with the bearings in and they were seized already. Really bad manufacturing.

Twisted Fork

Nov 1, 2022
British Columbia, Canada
Has anyone had any luck figuring out how to activate the screen “stealth” mode on the Ex-e? The TQ app appears to allow different screen pages to be customized (including a “Blank” setting), but indicates that feature is not currently available for the Trek. My latest software update was done two weeks ago.

I would love to have this option for night riding, more incognito appearance amongst the eye-rolling crowd, and I just find the bright screen distracting/ annoying as my rather OCD-ish tendencies tend to draw my attention to it at inopportune moments. Thinking I might try some super dark window tinting film in the meantime in the hopes the stealth option is added in a future firmware update.
ECCD98DB-CD18-4573-9547-B894AD21C312.jpeg
AF1444E0-9913-4132-9382-0CF3E799DA7A.jpeg
1E664507-8FA6-46B1-8A2D-95916C1D936C.jpeg

tony.c

Nov 17, 2022
Italia
Yesterday my chainring got a good rock smacking on a technical climb.
Ring will need to be replaced and chain is totally gone. Until I get the new ring from e13 I have bent the tooth back and filed it a bit to make it work. Swapped the chain for a new one.
Problem is, motor feels a bit different now when it needs to put in power. Feels and sounds different, I am afraid some cog is damaged or teeth are missing or something, inside the motor.
I would have put on a bash guard but it's impossible on this frame/motor. I wonder why they made such a capable bike but didn't consider putting on some ISCG5 tabs.
I'm going to have to test the bike on a few steeper hills tomorrow or later today.
Gutted if it turns out the motor has problems.
Only 2 months and 1000km old.

Anyone else has some first contact encounters between the ring and rocks?
Why Is It impossible to add a bushguard ? I touched a rock with the chainring like you today, fortunately with no damage, but i would like to mount a bushguard to prevent It.

Expidia

Subscriber
Jun 27, 2022
Capital Region, New York
Has anyone had any luck figuring out how to activate the screen “stealth” mode on the Ex-e? The TQ app appears to allow different screen pages to be customized (including a “Blank” setting), but indicates that feature is not currently available for the Trek. My latest software update was done two weeks ago.

I would love to have this option for night riding, more incognito appearance amongst the eye-rolling crowd, and I just find the bright screen distracting/ annoying as my rather OCD-ish tendencies tend to draw my attention to it at inopportune moments. Thinking I might try some super dark window tinting film in the meantime in the hopes the stealth option is added in a future firmware update. View attachment 115492 View attachment 115493 View attachment 115494
Great looking Fuel. I can't answer your question But . . . Have you ridden through the slop yet with those fenders? If so, do they keep the mud off you? Are they OEM? Thx

Last edited:

Twisted Fork

Nov 1, 2022
British Columbia, Canada
Great looking Fuel. I can't answer your question But . . . Have you ridden through the slop yet with those fenders? If so, do they keep the mud off you? Are they OEM? Thx
Front fender came with the Lyrik fork. The rear is just a $8 plastic sheet type from Amazon. Neither is intended to keep any of the slop off of me… they’re exclusively for keeping crud out of the linkages and sensitive suspension parts.

Emailsucks98

Nov 12, 2020
Bellingham Wa
The TQ app appears to allow different screen pages to be customized (including a “Blank” setting), but indicates that feature is not currently available for the Trek. My latest software update was done two weeks ago.
I just downloaded the TQ app and had the same experience, thanks for posting.

I agree the display is too bight for night riding, it can be distracting. And I never use the range or MPH screens, I would be happy to disable them.

Another observation: the bike milage shown in the TQ and Trek apps are wildly different from each other, and neither of them are anywhere near accurate.

Magnacus

Subscriber
May 11, 2023
Munich, Germany
Why Is It impossible to add a bushguard ? I touched a rock with the chainring like you today, fortunately with no damage, but i would like to mount a bushguard to prevent It.
The Trek EXe has no ISCG5 mount.
Tere are adapter, but only for BSA bottom brackets (E*Thirteen).
As far as I know, there is no ebike solution for ISCG5.

What you can do is to install a bash ring:
You have to change the chainring bolts too. You will need longer ones:

And finally remove the existing chainguide from your EXe, It wont fit with the bash ring.

tony.c

Nov 17, 2022
Italia
The Trek EXe has no ISCG5 mount.
Tere are adapter, but only for BSA bottom brackets (E*Thirteen).
As far as I know, there is no ebike solution for ISCG5.

What you can do is to install a bash ring:
You have to change the chainring bolts too. You will need longer ones:

And finally remove the existing chainguide from your EXe, It wont fit with the bash ring.
But the actual chainring Is One piece and has no bolts, maybe i should buy One with a spider to mount the bashring

Emailsucks98

Nov 12, 2020
Bellingham Wa
Good mornings!

ISCG05 is a horrible design standard anyways. Not centered on the frame, often requires crank removal after a hard hit, break easily, finicky to install if there’s a chain guide, could go on and on….

My last bike, with a shimano motor, didn’t need a chain guide, because you’d just smash the motor casing into rocks instead. Broke 3 casings in 5 rides before getting some aftermarket rockguardZ.

That FSA spider is probably the best bet!

volts

May 15, 2018
DK
Good mornings!

ISCG05 is a horrible design standard anyways. Not centered on the frame, often requires crank removal after a hard hit, break easily, finicky to install if there’s a chain guide, could go on and on….

My last bike, with a shimano motor, didn’t need a chain guide, because you’d just smash the motor casing into rocks instead. Broke 3 casings in 5 rides before getting some aftermarket rockguardZ.

That FSA spider is probably the best bet!
I never really had any problems with ISCG05 on any of my analogue bikes.
The problem with ebikes is that the tabs need to be on the motor and there are no tabs on any of the motors.
On many bikes with a more bulky motor you are correct the motors skid plate will be hit first before any contact with the chain ring but this is not the case with the HPR50.
I know from first hand experience.

Magnacus

Subscriber
May 11, 2023
Munich, Germany
I cannot find the spider online, where can i buy It?
True.... I found only two shops, but "out of stock"

I found a dealer catalog with the spider:
1684942403945.png

Maybe ask your bikeshop....

Balboa

Sep 25, 2022
NL
Tried to reproduce the drag problem last weekend, but I didn't feel any drag. Difference was that it was a 99% flat route and when I have the drag problem, it is always during a fairly steep climb and using the TQ motor more. Hopefully next weekend I can try to reproduce it and solve it with switching the bike off&on or some back padeling.

DBSwiss

Oct 25, 2022
United States
I’ve tried pedaling uphill with the motor off. It sucks! I was thinking that using assistance over the last few months has jaded my senses and sapped some of my fitness. But after reading your comments, I wonder…
I pedaled my bike uphill on a steep gravel fire road climb with the motor off but display on and did not detect any drag. The approx 3 minute climb took me 10 sec longer on the fuel EXe compared to my 22 stumpjumper pro which is 28 lbs.

DBSwiss

Oct 25, 2022
United States
There is good news today….

i had an issue on my Fuel exe 9.8XT that kept bugging me and it finally got fixed.
in the high mode (maxed out) I would never get the expected assistance when climbing steep grades with a consistent speed. When I was accelerating, I would get a quick boost but then it would fall off quickly as I settled into a constant speed. I was putting in 150-200 watts and would only get 30-100 watts despite having the settings maxed out. Now the Trek shop installed the latest firmware last week and I feel a substantial improvement. The display still shows some low and fluctuating motor assist numbers but I can feel that the motor provides more power. It’s like having a different bike.
if you have experienced something similar, get the latest firmware. unfortunately I cannot see the software version as the Trek or the TQ app don’t show it and I didnt get a report last time.
IMG_1384.jpeg

Salespunk

Jul 27, 2020
Encinitas, CA
Heard on climb #1:

Is that a Fuel EXe?
Yep, my buddy has one, no way you can get 4000’ out of a single battery

I ended up doing 3000’ (mostly in Eco) and finished with 40% battery left

I did have Eco turned down to 80w max, but I also used trail (@140w) a fair bit. Trails were so good! I did have my crank arm bolt loosen again, time for locktite
I ran mine dead last week. Total ride was 30 miles and 3300' and I pedaled the last 7 miles/500' home with no assist. Ride was 85% Trail/3% Turbo/12% Eco. Bike shut off at 5% remaining. I am super frustrated that the range extenders aren't available yet and may swap for a Levo SL even though I love the ride of the EXe.

Had an amazing ride on the EXe yesterday with some awesome raw singletrack that still has me buzzing. If it wasn't for how good the bike felt on Sunday I wouldn't even be questioning the switch to the LSL. As of now I am about 75% on making the switch, but the ride of the EXe is amazing for sure and there isn't much I don't love about the bike.

IMG_3050.jpeg

Emailsucks98

Nov 12, 2020
Bellingham Wa
I ran mine dead last week. Total ride was 30 miles and 3300' and I pedaled the last 7 miles/500' home with no assist. Ride was 85% Trail/3% Turbo/12% Eco. Bike shut off at 5% remaining. I am super frustrated that the range extenders aren't available yet and may swap for a Levo SL even though I love the ride of the EXe.
I got my 2nd battery, but ended up riding with meat-bikers all weekend so I didn't use it. At meatbike pace I got 2800' yesterday and finished with 47% left. Saturday We did 3000' and I finished with 40%. These are shorter steep rides- 3k' here happens in 10 miles. Used mostly Eco mode. Conditions have been so good!

The Levo SL looks great, especially since it's a lot closer to our builds in stock form. When I look at all the changes made to our Fuels to get them Mullet & slacked out, while the Levo SL comes stock mullet and has the geometry adjustments. The fixed battery of the Levo has me preferring the Fuel though, plus the quietness. It'd be fun to demo the two back-to-back. I am really sold on the light ebike with modular battery approach. I would want more travel and slacker head angle to jump ship on the Fuel- something like a 170/160 Propain Tyee but with the TQ motor & removable battery.

Have you considered a full battery, vs the range extender? Not sure if the lead times are shorter, but I did finally get mine.

Last edited:

Salespunk

Jul 27, 2020
Encinitas, CA
I got my 2nd battery, but ended up riding with meat-bikers all weekend so I didn't use it. At meatbike pace I got 2800' yesterday and finished with 47% left. Saturday We did 3000' and I finished with 40%. These are shorter steep rides- 3k' here happens in 10 miles. Used mostly Eco mode. Conditions have been so good!

The Levo SL looks great, especially since it's a lot closer to our builds in stock form. When I look at all the changes made to our Fuels to get them Mullet & slacked out, while the Levo SL comes stock mullet and has the geometry adjustments. The fixed battery of the Levo has me preferring the Fuel though, plus the quietness. It'd be fun to demo the two back-to-back. I am really sold on the light ebike with modular battery approach. I would want more travel and slacker head angle to jump ship on the Fuel- something like a 170/160 Propain Tyee but with the TQ motor

Have you considered a full battery, vs the range extender? Not sure if the lead times are shorter, but I did finally get mine.
Congrats on getting your extender!

My ride on Sunday was much better from a battery perspective. I am fairly strong pedaling so I think if I run Eco most of the time and then Trail/Turbo when necessary I would be fine with just the internal. My ride on Friday was with a friend on a Turbo Levo so I was in Trail almost the entire ride.

Overall my bike feels really dialed right now. The Zeb 160 is what it should have come with stock. The ride Sunday was an eye opener from a handling perspective. Rode a new trail blind that was wild with 25* descents and climbs all over it. It was all true singletrack with zero room for error, but the bike handled it like a champ. Could have used slightly more power on two of the climbs just because they were so steep, but not what I will be riding normally anyway. We hit Turbo on the way back (was with a Turbo Levo and a full power Kona for that part) and kept up fine as well.

Range extender would be a game changer just because it would open up what I could hit in trail mode, but I can probably survive without it. Still need to get on the Levo SL and see what that is like to understand if it worth the price to switch.

Emailsucks98

Nov 12, 2020
Bellingham Wa
Congrats on getting your extender!

Range extender would be a game changer just because it would open up what I could hit in trail mode, but I can probably survive without it. Still need to get on the Levo SL and see what that is like to understand if it worth the price to switch.
Yeah thanks! So I got a full 2nd battery, not the extender.
We have a few local spots where there are multiple 3000'+ loop options accessible from the same TH. A WB extender might allow me to ride two of these loops in Eco, but swapping batteries between loops will make for less weight on the bike and more total range per day. It's an awesome trick that seems somewhat unique to the Fuel. I suppose the Relay is the other bike that can do this. You could do two WB extenders on the specialized, but you'd be carrying more dead battery on lap #2. The SL looks like an awesome bike otherwise.

Lest I sound like a Trek shill; I would jump ship for that hypothetical Propain Tyee with the TQ motor package & removable battery. 🤷‍♀️
Wonder what the next Kenevo will look like.....

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Yeah thanks! So I got a full 2nd battery, not the extender.
We have a few local spots where there are multiple 3000'+ loop options accessible from the same TH. A WB extender might allow me to ride two of these loops in Eco, but swapping batteries between loops will make for less weight on the bike and more total range per day. It's an awesome trick that seems somewhat unique to the Fuel. I suppose the Relay is the other bike that can do this. You could do two WB extenders on the specialized, but you'd be carrying more dead battery on lap #2. The SL looks like an awesome bike otherwise.

Lest I sound like a Trek shill; I would jump ship for that hypothetical Propain Tyee with the TQ motor package & removable battery. 🤷‍♀️
Wonder what the next Kenevo will look like.....
The full size second battery is a game changer for the fuel (whilst the range extender is not readily available), I carry it in my backpack on long rides, it's not too heavy, not really noticeable after a while.

I'll get the range extender when it's available, but for now the 2nd battery is great.

Emailsucks98

Nov 12, 2020
Bellingham Wa
I'll get the range extender when it's available, but for now the 2nd battery is great.
All the options are awesome!
We have a weeknight race series, really more of a downhill singletrack time trial, which doesn't allow for eBikes. It's occurred to me I could remove the battery if I want to do one (and not ride my hardtail).

thomasbran

Feb 15, 2023
Italy

The Levo SL looks great, especially since it's a lot closer to our builds in stock form. When I look at all the changes made to our Fuels to get them Mullet & slacked out, while the Levo SL comes stock mullet and has the geometry adjustments. The fixed battery of the Levo has me preferring the Fuel though, plus the quietness. It'd be fun to demo the two back-to-back. I am really sold on the light ebike with modular battery approach. I would want more travel and slacker head angle to jump ship on the Fuel- something like a 170/160 Propain Tyee but with the TQ motor & removable battery.

There is an option for you: Simplon Rapcon Pmax TQ. it comes with the TQ motor, 170 front/165 back travel and 64 degree head angle...

jabar1975

Feb 16, 2023
Zurich
EDIT Did anyone successfully install range extender with fidlock holder? Is it doable?

the answer is in RE manual - it seems that is highly recommended solution.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles