Fuel EXe Trek Fuel EXe Megathread!

RayBiss

May 3, 2023
winnipeg
Are you proposing drilling your own holes in the down tube?
No, there are already pre drilled holes with screws on the downtube

20230504_131422.jpg 20230504_131417.jpg

socal_rider

Jun 6, 2021
Temecula, CA
So what would you all do for carrying water is the holder is used for booster?

I’ve recently purchased and started riding with a hip pack in preparation for extender. I’m not a big fan of back packs. The hip pack is a reasonable option for me to carry 1 bottle or up to 2 bottles plus 1.5L bladder.

Pinkmaggit

May 4, 2023
Wellington, NZ
Long time reader, first time poster. 👋

Picked up my 9.5 EXe a couple of weeks ago. So far I'm enjoying it. Had a couple of interesting things happen so far. Mostly putting them down for potential buyers to look out for or be aware of.

Firstly, when the LBS went to put it together, they found that the rear rim was leaking air at the weld, when going Tubeless.
They pulled another wheel off some other stock and had the same issue. May pay to get that checked if you're planning on running tubeless on the stock wheelset but haven't set that up yet. It also came with a Sunrace cassette. How do I found out if it is microsplined Shimano hub or regular HG?

Riding the bike, I have found small stones get stuck in the chainguide and rub against the chain. Anyone found this happen to them or found a solution to prevent it? Was also looking at the 5DEV cranks and it says that they're not compatible with the e13 chain guide. Does anyone know why? Or if its worth keeping it on the bike?

I have a bit of a gap between bearing and headset cap. Is this normal or does it need pressed in more? IMG_7401.jpg

So far I have found the dropper post quite good, but the lever gets stuck open sometimes, so was thinking of switching to the Wolftooth remote. On the site I wasn't sure which one was right for the dropper. Any tips?

Thanks!

Julie_X1

Jan 22, 2023
Canada

Picked up my 9.5 EXe a couple of weeks ago. So far I'm enjoying it. Had a couple of interesting things happen so far. Mostly putting them down for potential buyers to look out for or be aware of.

Firstly, when the LBS went to put it together, they found that the rear rim was leaking air at the weld, when going Tubeless.
They pulled another wheel off some other stock and had the same issue. May pay to get that checked if you're planning on running tubeless on the stock wheelset but haven't set that up yet. It also came with a Sunrace cassette. How do I found out if it is microsplined Shimano hub or regular HG?

Riding the bike, I have found small stones get stuck in the chainguide and rub against the chain. Anyone found this happen to them or found a solution to prevent it? Was also looking at the 5DEV cranks and it says that they're not compatible with the e13 chain guide. Does anyone know why? Or if its worth keeping it on the bike?

I have a bit of a gap between bearing and headset cap. Is this normal or does it need pressed in more? View attachment 113585

So far I have found the dropper post quite good, but the lever gets stuck open sometimes, so was thinking of switching to the Wolftooth remote. On the site I wasn't sure which one was right for the dropper. Any tips?

Thanks!

Congrats on your new bike!

Regarding the gap, I checked my husband’s 9.5 and my 9.7. There doesn’t appear to be a gap like yours.

Regarding the dropper lever, my husband has not had a problem with his. Mine came slightly up-spec’d with the 9.8’s Bontrager Line Elite lever. I can attest that that lever works terrific. I even personally like it a little better than the Wolftooth I have on another bike, but the Wolftooth is definitely a quality, well-constructed lever.

wizard604

Jul 30, 2022
Vancouver
Hi all, been a lurker and somewhat infrequent poster on this thread. Just an update on my story regarding my motor.

Trek warranty'd my 1st motor due to significant drag in low power and no assistance scenarios. The motor also had a significant under-reading of rider input watts, and that is compared to 2 other bikes.

My 2nd motor: AGAIN they are warranty-ing the motor due to significant drag in low power and no assistance modes. It is as if the motor has increased drag when the chain is loaded with tension on steep climbs. The drag increases almost to a point where you can't pedal the bike without assistance when you climb up steep climbs. The drag is worse when the motor is hot. The motor is a joy in MID and HIGH modes, but almost unride-able in steeper terrain in less than 100w assistance scenarios.

When you pedal along a flat paved road the drag is almost unnoticeable. In a stand, turning the pedals feels like a normal bike. I am thinking there might be some design flaw, or I was unlucky to get 2 bad motors out of early batches.

I also get less range in ECO mode than in MID mode. For example, after a 15min steep climb, with battery at 70% I get the following from my bike:

ECO: 61%, 108W max, Range: 2h39min
MID: 100%, 231W max, Range: 2h52min
HIGH: 170%, 300W max, Range: 1h28min

How is that even possible?

TQ hasn't released a software update since early March, and they use to be very frequent. Some guys have reported delays in motor manufacturing, so maybe they are working on a hardware update.

Maybe my 3rd motor would be drag-free adn only have the 2-3 watts of drag as advertised by TQ.

Anyone else have drag in steeper terrain when they turn the assistance off?
I ride quite a bit with assist off and haven't encountered any drag while climbing on mellow or steep terrain. I bought the bike in Oct 2022 and have put on 750km it

XrayZulu

Nov 8, 2022
UK
Riding the bike, I have found small stones get stuck in the chainguide and rub against the chain. Anyone found this happen to them or found a solution to prevent it?
I had this happen the other day for the 1st time, didn't sound good and wondered what was going on. I was thinking to tape a piece of cable tie along the top of the guide to try and prevent stones dropping in - but haven't done that yet.

MikeP

Oct 31, 2022
West Berkshire

I have a bit of a gap between bearing and headset cap. Is this normal or does it need pressed in more? View attachment 113585

Thanks!
I have a 9.5 also. I've been running tubeless since day 1, no issues thankfully.

I didn't get a chain guide with mine - was yours included in the stock build? I get the same issue with the dropper post trigger getting stuck, it's very annoying.

Similar gap to yours on the headset cap. Hadn't noticed until I read your post and checked it.

POC

Nov 28, 2022
Wales

Thanks!
I do have the headset gap, and from other posts, this seems to be common!

socal_rider

Jun 6, 2021
Temecula, CA
I’ve tried pedaling uphill with the motor off. It sucks! I was thinking that using assistance over the last few months has jaded my senses and sapped some of my fitness. But after reading your comments, I wonder…

I’m pretty sure now there’s something wrong with the motor. On today’s ride the drag was noticeable. It felt like the motor was giving less than half of what it said it was. I could feel occasional surges or where the drag would be less. By the end of the ride I was using Boost to get up hills. Felt like I was pedaling in sticky mud.

No codes at this point, so hopefully my bike shop can figure this out.

I’m going back to my Ripmo for tomorrow’s ride. I’m really hoping it’s the Trek and not my fitness. ;)

Flow81

Oct 27, 2022
Cape Town
I’m pretty sure now there’s something wrong with the motor. On today’s ride the drag was noticeable. It felt like the motor was giving less than half of what it said it was. I could feel occasional surges or where the drag would be less. By the end of the ride I was using Boost to get up hills. Felt like I was pedaling in sticky mud.

No codes at this point, so hopefully my bike shop can figure this out.

I’m going back to my Ripmo for tomorrow’s ride. I’m really hoping it’s the Trek and not my fitness. ;)
Both my motors felt great in mid and high, basically anything with the motor output more than 90% of my input. But anything less than that there is a marked difference, and it is almost as if am starting to “pull” or work against the motor, and it gets increasingly harder with lower assistance % and steeper gradients.

Free_Tibet

Aug 30, 2022
Australia
Hi all, been a lurker and somewhat infrequent poster on this thread. Just an update on my story regarding my motor.

Trek warranty'd my 1st motor due to significant drag in low power and no assistance scenarios. The motor also had a significant under-reading of rider input watts, and that is compared to 2 other bikes.

My 2nd motor: AGAIN they are warranty-ing the motor due to significant drag in low power and no assistance modes. It is as if the motor has increased drag when the chain is loaded with tension on steep climbs. The drag increases almost to a point where you can't pedal the bike without assistance when you climb up steep climbs. The drag is worse when the motor is hot. The motor is a joy in MID and HIGH modes, but almost unride-able in steeper terrain in less than 100w assistance scenarios.

When you pedal along a flat paved road the drag is almost unnoticeable. In a stand, turning the pedals feels like a normal bike. I am thinking there might be some design flaw, or I was unlucky to get 2 bad motors out of early batches.

I also get less range in ECO mode than in MID mode. For example, after a 15min steep climb, with battery at 70% I get the following from my bike:

ECO: 61%, 108W max, Range: 2h39min
MID: 100%, 231W max, Range: 2h52min
HIGH: 170%, 300W max, Range: 1h28min

How is that even possible?

TQ hasn't released a software update since early March, and they use to be very frequent. Some guys have reported delays in motor manufacturing, so maybe they are working on a hardware update.

Maybe my 3rd motor would be drag-free adn only have the 2-3 watts of drag as advertised by TQ.

Anyone else have drag in steeper terrain when they turn the assistance off?

"Anyone else have drag in steeper terrain when they turn the assistance off?"...

Yes, I have exactly this.... the same as per your description. It is such a force that it feels like you are dragging an anchor behind you with low power and a steep incline. Then it seems to "release" as soon as I get to the flat. Like others, I was wondering if this was a result of the sensation of no assist rather than actual drag. I figure power meter pedals would be the only way to quantify and prove it to my Trek store 😒. So that is reassuring in some way that your LBS could replicate it too.

Last edited:

pat1032

Feb 22, 2023
santa cruz
I know this question get asked a lot but I’m curious on what other owners of trek fuel exes are doing. How often are you applying chain lube? I live in CA in mostly dry conditions, my LBS told me after EVERY ride. Seems like much.

Cell4soul

E*POWAH Master
Jul 11, 2022
Mesa, AZ
I know this question get asked a lot but I’m curious on what other owners of trek fuel exes are doing. How often are you applying chain lube? I live in CA in mostly dry conditions, my LBS told me after EVERY ride. Seems like much.

When it becomes REALLY dirty or starts shifting poorly. I clean it good first.

3C703186-9E59-41AD-9773-51EE3830DD4E.jpeg

Julie_X1

Jan 22, 2023
Canada
After the clean the bikes. We clean them when we need to, or want to. :)

Piccirilli

Jan 17, 2023
Asheville, NC
I started using chain wax (Squirt Chain Lube) and so far, I like it better than oil/teflon based lubes. It doesn't attract dirt. After a ride, the chain still looks clean, since the wax sheds dirt off, one of the main reasons I no longer need to wash bike as often. And wax based lubes are supposedly better for improved transmission wear, which is a big factor on ebikes. That alone was worth the switch. There's a thread on this forum discussing the pros and cons.

Free_Tibet

Aug 30, 2022
Australia
I started using chain wax (Squirt Chain Lube) and so far, I like it better than oil/teflon based lubes. It doesn't attract dirt. After a ride, the chain still looks clean, since the wax sheds dirt off, one of the main reasons I no longer need to wash bike as often. And wax based lubes are supposedly better for improved transmission wear, which is a big factor on ebikes. That alone was worth the switch. There's a thread on this forum discussing the pros and cons.
+1 for Squirt. Usually only dry or sandy / dusty tracks where and when I ride, but if it rains the Squirt lube stays on quite well. Before the very first use you need to follow the instructions and strip out all the factory / previous lube off the chain and dry it. Then apply it liberally into each linkage and let it dry. Then wipe with a rag to remove off any excess before the ride. Lasts me about 10+ hrs of riding in dry conditions. Mimimal smell and doesn't go black. Have tried lots of different lubes over 20 years and love this stuff 😁.

Last edited:

Flow81

Oct 27, 2022
Cape Town
"Anyone else have drag in steeper terrain when they turn the assistance off?"...

Yes, I have exactly this.... the same as per your description. It is such a force that it feels like you are dragging an anchor behind you with low power and a steep incline. Then it seems to "release" as soon as I get to the flat. Like others, I was wondering if this was a result of the sensation of no assist rather than actual drag. I figure power meter pedals would be the only way to quantify and prove it to my Trek store 😒. So that is reassuring in some way that your LBS could replicate it too.
That is exactly the sensation I get. Not sure if its a general design flaw or a manufacturing tolerance issue, but it really limits the application of the bike.
I started complaining about the drag with TQ, and their responses have been very slow. So not sure if they are still figuring it out on their end.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
That is exactly the sensation I get. Not sure if its a general design flaw or a manufacturing tolerance issue, but it really limits the application of the bike.
Mine isn't like that at all, with the motor off (or in no assist mode) it pedals like a regular mountain bike.

If yours genuinely is feeling as you describe and you're certain it's not just you not adjusting to the loss of additional power from the motor then it's a fault with the motor.

Free_Tibet

Aug 30, 2022
Australia
Mine isn't like that at all, with the motor off (or in no assist mode) it pedals like a regular mountain bike.

If yours genuinely is feeling as you describe and you're certain it's not just you not adjusting to the loss of additional power from the motor then it's a fault with the motor.
Yes, I am concerned at the "adjusting to the loss of additional power from the motor" aspect and looking and sounding like a numpty to my Trek shop when the reality is that it is my perception rather than fact. So hence I would like to have some sort of science-based measure to validate it. I mentioned it to my Trek shop but have decided to just live with it for now and deal with it later when perhaps there may be more instances reported in the marketplace (or not).

Balboa

Sep 25, 2022
NL
I will bring the bike back to the LBS to have the drag checked. It will be quite difficult to let them see or feel the drag, because there are no hills to test in my region. I allways take the bike to Belgium of Germany, cause Holland is too flat:)

levity

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Founding Member
Feb 15, 2018
SoCal
psychosomatic: adjective, ˌsī-kō-sə-ˈma-tik
of, relating to, concerned with, or involving both mind and body

e.g., when your mind gets used to ebike assistance and you turn power down or off and your body has to work more and you assume there must be motor drag rather than just a need for more rider input

;)

gmcttr

Dec 5, 2022
South Central Indiana
Yes, I am concerned at the "adjusting to the loss of additional power from the motor" aspect and looking and sounding like a numpty to my Trek shop when the reality is that it is my perception rather than fact. So hence I would like to have some sort of science-based measure to validate it. I mentioned it to my Trek shop but have decided to just live with it for now and deal with it later when perhaps there may be more instances reported in the marketplace (or not).
psychosomatic: adjective, ˌsī-kō-sə-ˈma-tik
of, relating to, concerned with, or involving both mind and body

e.g., when your mind gets used to ebike assistance and you turn power down or off and your body has to work more and you assume there must be motor drag rather than just a need for more rider input

;)

I am well aware of the psychosomatic aspect of turning the assist off...always makes me think I have a flat tire when I do it on level ground. However, what is being described is an actual added drag.

I had not experienced it before reading of it in this thread as I don't turn the assist off when climbing. Reading about it got me experimenting with it on a hill and I found it became extremely hard to pedal. I found that if I turned the bike off instead of just the assist the drag was gone and climbing felt normal.

While riding at Brown County State Park in Indiana this past Saturday, we stopped after a climb and chatted with another group of riders. One of them was a Trek employee involved with their ebikes (and riding an EXe) that had come down from Wisconsin. Among other questions, I asked about this drag and he confirmed it is a real thing caused by the clutch not fully disengaging. He told me the best way around it is to turn the bike off to climb with no assist. He also said that early on they just used warranty replacement to deal with some problems and that this drag is not considered a warranty item now.

He also told me to expect the extender battery during July in the US.

I was very happy to get some straight answers direct from a Trek employ that actually rides the EXe. He was fully knowledgeable about all things I brought up. Hope to run into him again someday.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles