Fuel EXe Official Trek Fuel EXe Megathread!

wizard604

Jul 30, 2022
Vancouver
Anyone else having issues with the Trek app and the display in the top tube being out of sync when it comes to showing the estimated range?

When I power up the bike it will show a certain distance range on the display. Once I connect the Trek app it causes the display range to go to zero. The app will also show zero for estimated range. I find I need to logout and back in a few times to get the app and display to sync and both show the same range. It's a bit annoying and has been happening since day one despite having the latest firmware and app updates.
I solved my problem by doing a system reset back to factory default. In the process I ran across a couple of quirks that I would like to share with everyone incase they encounter something similar.

Doing a system reset will result in the bike no longer able to connect to the Trek app. This can be fixed by unpairing the Bluetooth connection to your bike and re-pairing again.

I also found that that the display will lose the Cadence screen during a reset. The Cadence screen can be re-added back to the display using the TQ app via the screen configuration option.

The software needs some tweaking to make it easier for a user to seamlessly recover from a system reset. The above steps are required after a reset for the time being.

Canyon Shawn

Feb 4, 2023
Lake Sherwood, California
I solved my problem by doing a system reset back to factory default. In the process I ran across a couple of quirks that I would like to share with everyone incase they encounter something similar.

Doing a system reset will result in the bike no longer able to connect to the Trek app. This can be fixed by unpairing the Bluetooth connection to your bike and re-pairing again.

I also found that that the display will lose the Cadence screen during a reset. The Cadence screen can be re-added back to the display using the TQ app via the screen configuration option.

The software needs some tweaking to make it easier for a user to seamlessly recover from a system reset. The above steps are required after a reset for the time being.
That was also my experience. And, I had to redo all the settings that I changed. So, this time, I took a screen shots of my settings.

playboater15

Jan 11, 2023
Crickhowell
Just made a massive cock up and cross threaded and wrecked the chain ring locking ring. Does anyone know of a supplier in UK/EU please?

IMG_20230411_213145.jpg

TopUnit

Dec 4, 2022
Australia
Thanks! That comoany doesn't ship to UK, but once I knew what it was called, found several UK suppliers. My bike doesn't have the blue sleeve fitted from the factory.
Great
The blue sleeve is a tool to aid installation of the locknut to avoid damage to the seal, it is not fitted to the bike.
I did an explainer video in post #1,591

DugT

Sep 4, 2022
Truckee, CA
Rear shock lower bolt wobble. My 9.8XT clunks when I lift it or drop it. I can feel that the clunk is occuring between the shock and the bolt or that bolt and the frame or both. Is there a known fix for this? I will remove the bolt, lube with thick grease, and torque it down. Should that fix it or is there a better solution. The problem is in the red circled area. Thanks!

1681270988215.png

playboater15

Jan 11, 2023
Crickhowell
Rear shock lower bolt wobble. My 9.8XT clunks when I lift it or drop it. I can feel that the clunk is occuring between the shock and the bolt or that bolt and the frame or both. Is there a known fix for this? I will remove the bolt, lube with thick grease, and torque it down. Should that fix it or is there a better solution. The problem is in the red circled area. Thanks!

View attachment 111360
Hey Dug, you can check out my previous posts on this. Mine started doing the same after a while. It's a warranty issue and the shop should be able to send you new hardware as the bike has probably been fitted with too narrow a piece of hardware. Be careful of even slight over torque to fix it, let bike shop do that!

KevinNY

Nov 1, 2022
NYC
Just made a massive cock up and cross threaded and wrecked the chain ring locking ring. Does anyone know of a supplier in UK/EU please?

View attachment 111352

Check with Trek directly in the UK.

In the US I ordered one as a spare. I ordered it directly from trekbikes.com and it arrived in 1 day direct from their warehouse.

Trek Part # 5309454 for the one with the 50Nm inscription.

See if this link works for you: TQ HPR Lock Ring Set | Trek Bikes (GB)

LuvnmyEXE

Nov 11, 2022
Annapolis, MD

View attachment 111360
Please let us know the results. I think you are the first 9.8 owner to report an issue with the stock Rockshox rear shock hardware.

Swingset

Sep 9, 2022
Southern Cal
I had the guy at the Trek dealer go up to 17nm and document it on Trek's service system. Since I went to the 40mm (from 39.8mm) on the Fox and cranked the bolt up its been fine.

DugT

Sep 4, 2022
Truckee, CA
Thanks for the replies!

Trek Warranty Support said there is a "Bulletin" for this problem for the Fox shock but not for the Rockshox, like mine. They said I should take my 9.8xt to my local Trek shop and, if they confirm the problem, the shop should order RockShox part 597187 which includes a new nut and axel. I don't know how soon that will happen because currently my local shop is a ski shop and, in the past, they have been unwilling to do warranty repairs on my bike during ski season, even though I bought it there.

volts

May 15, 2018
DK
The bolt is threaded way too far down. I put a bit of tape on the unused thread and torqued it to 15nm and it has been good ever since. I have had both fox and rockshox shocks on the bike and it kept acting up until I did that.
Not a peep since.
I did however spent a good deal of time pulling the entire frame apart hunting down a creak after about 600km of riding. The main pivot was bone dry and after greasing that one it seems to be much better but not completely gone.
It's a slight "click" sound when putting a power (300-400+ watts) on the left NDS crank.

prometeo72

Jan 5, 2023
Italia
The bolt is threaded way too far down. I put a bit of tape on the unused thread and torqued it to 15nm and it has been good ever since. I have had both fox and rockshox shocks on the bike and it kept acting up until I did that.
Not a peep since.
I did however spent a good deal of time pulling the entire frame apart hunting down a creak after about 600km of riding. The main pivot was bone dry and after greasing that one it seems to be much better but not completely gone.
It's a slight "click" sound when putting a power (300-400+ watts) on the left NDS crank.
Check the two motor bolts. I had a click sound pedalling standing up. When I applied the correct torque to the bolts it disappeared.

macbeth89

Mar 27, 2023
Germany
Did you at least try the stock e13 32t chainring to see it did work with the SRAM TT parts? I was at a Trek dealership today and their "expert" mentioned it can work. Just curious.

Also which XD driver works with the Bonti hubs on a 9.7?
Yes, I currently use the transmission with the stock e13 32T chainring. Works fine.
How Did the ride go? E13 chainring OK?
Works fine so long, but i will change to the original sram chainring once it's available.

TopUnit

Dec 4, 2022
Australia
Yes, I currently use the transmission with the stock e13 32T chainring. Works fine.

Works fine so long, but i will change to the original sram chainring once it's available.
I asked e13 if their chainrings are compatible with T-Type chain, they said they are still testing and will let me know.

5earchkaine

Apr 9, 2023
Austria
Hi,

new Fuel EXe owner here. Did my first lap today, loving the bike so far, but already have one little chip on the frame. Does anyone know where to get the Touch-Up Paint for the Matte Pennyflake color?

I've found this information on the Trek site, but it seems that it's not (yet?) available:

1681648122707.png

Borut

Mar 21, 2021
Slovenia
Hello exe riders, did someone noticed that power meter and cadence data from tq is wrong? I tested with garmin pedals....and its 35% more on pedals then data from tq. I try also on levo sl, and data from levo quite similiar....

Junior

Aug 8, 2020
Austin
Hi y’all.

I’m down here in Texas and I have been having a consistent issue with my bike creaking. It’s a 9.8 AXS (they gave it to me at XT prices since the XT i bought online had a motor issue) I have had it in the shop 3 times now. I just got it back from them going over it for 2 weeks and it made it all of 1/2 mile into the ride before the noise returned.

I had to have a friend pick up the bike yesterday since I wasn’t able to make it before close and wanted to ride.

The creak is not from the seat as it does it both on and off the saddle. I’m actually writing this from a chill spot at the trail because it’s driving me so crazy.

If I hold bike by the grip and push and pull on the drive side crank I can easily replicate the sound. I’m very familiar with wrenching on bikes and carbon frames so I realize it could be coming from anywhere. Sounds as though it’s coming from the rocker or the main pivot.

I am hesitant to take it in again since it’s prime riding season here and it’ll probably be mid 90s in two weeks. I have been taking it in since it’s so new, but at this point I’m willing to track it down myself. I am almost at the point of asking for a refund on the bike. Coming from a Levo SL the silence is beautiful but being ruined by the creaking.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Hi y’all.

I’m down here in Texas and I have been having a consistent issue with my bike creaking. It’s a 9.8 AXS (they gave it to me at XT prices since the XT i bought online had a motor issue) I have had it in the shop 3 times now. I just got it back from them going over it for 2 weeks and it made it all of 1/2 mile into the ride before the noise returned.

I had to have a friend pick up the bike yesterday since I wasn’t able to make it before close and wanted to ride.

The creak is not from the seat as it does it both on and off the saddle. I’m actually writing this from a chill spot at the trail because it’s driving me so crazy.

If I hold bike by the grip and push and pull on the drive side crank I can easily replicate the sound. I’m very familiar with wrenching on bikes and carbon frames so I realize it could be coming from anywhere. Sounds as though it’s coming from the rocker or the main pivot.

I am hesitant to take it in again since it’s prime riding season here and it’ll probably be mid 90s in two weeks. I have been taking it in since it’s so new, but at this point I’m willing to track it down myself. I am almost at the point of asking for a refund on the bike. Coming from a Levo SL the silence is beautiful but being ruined by the creaking.
It's probably the motor compensation screws are not set correctly for your frame.

The tq motor has adjustable screws alter the width of the motor mounting points that allow it to be bolted to frames with slightly different widths, you need to use some Vernier calipers to measure the width of the frame mounting points and then set the motor compensation screws on the motor to the same width. Mine creaked like an old bed until I adjusted the screws correctly.

Here's an excerpt from the tq installation manual.

Screenshot_20230405-190858.png

Junior

Aug 8, 2020
Austin
It's probably the motor compensation screws are not set correctly for your frame.

The tq motor has adjustable screws alter the width of the motor mounting points that allow it to be bolted to frames with slightly different widths, you need to use some Vernier calipers to measure the width of the frame mounting points and then set the motor compensation screws on the motor to the same width. Mine creaked like an old bed until I adjusted the screws correctly.

View attachment 111741
This is a great tip. Thank you. I’ll take a stab at this. I have all the tools needed. My only concern is I can replicate the sound bouncing on the saddle without any weight on the pedals/cranks/drive unit.

Junior

Aug 8, 2020
Austin

View attachment 111741
One more question for you. Were you able to complete this with the cranks on?

Nugget

Mar 8, 2023
Perth, Australia
For those on a Fuel EX-e 9.8 with the Rockshox RockShox Super Deluxe Select+ shock, I'd really appreciate it if you could feed your serial number into the Rockshox Trailhead app and let me see a picture of your suspension tune?

I have a 9.5 and would like to upgrade the shock to a Super Deluxe Select + from my friend's Specialized Enduro but I want to check that the tune is similar or at least close to what Treck specifies on the 9.8?

Thanks so much in advance!

JP-NZ

E*POWAH Elite
Feb 17, 2022
Christchurch - New Zealand
Hi y’all.

Hello,

Have you greased the pivot bearings around the rear axle? The ABP bearings can often creak and due to the carbon frame make it sound like its coming from the BB area.

Beefburgerburnt

Mar 27, 2023
USA
For those on a Fuel EX-e 9.8 with the Rockshox RockShox Super Deluxe Select+ shock, I'd really appreciate it if you could feed your serial number into the Rockshox Trailhead app and let me see a picture of your suspension tune?

I have a 9.5 and would like to upgrade the shock to a Super Deluxe Select + from my friend's Specialized Enduro but I want to check that the tune is similar or at least close to what Treck specifies on the 9.8?

Thanks so much in advance!
Here you go. I can input your weight if you want more specific tuning info.

77F08708-1066-4393-B745-3B9D97CADAA5.jpeg

clivem25

Mar 5, 2023
Perth Western Australia
Hi y’all.

Had a very similar sounding issue on a different bike. Ended up being the UDH not torqued correctly. Easy to check

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles