Fuel EXe Official Trek Fuel EXe Megathread!

JP-NZ

E*POWAH Elite
Feb 17, 2022
Christchurch - New Zealand
Those top 2 videos are definitely XC. Green to Blue in NZ. Guess I could be spoiled with a 450m elevation chairlift park 10 mins from my door.

Your right though 140mm rear travel even with a 160mm fork is a long long way from enduro. Not even mentioning the Geo.

smc_stefan

Oct 10, 2022
Austria
Who cares in the end?
Definitions of XC, Trail, Enduro, etc. are very blurry, often mixed up and defined differently in different regions/countries and continents.

Go out, have fun and adjust your ride to your local trails and preferences.

smc_stefan

Oct 10, 2022
Austria
Including the discussion which followed...
It's XC, no it's not, blue trails here are black trails there, where does Enduro end and Downhill start, etc.

The only way to find out what kind of bike is really capable of dealing with your riding style and your local trails is testing and talking to locals.

AMbmb2168

Aug 9, 2022
Canada
Thanks for the info, out of curiosity what was your reasoning for swapping the Rail to the Exe?
How is the exe on the road? is it easy to keep it around the motor speed cap or do you have to put in loads of effort to keep it there? I'm thinking a benefit of an ebike is being able to bike the 7-8 Km's to the trails as well. I know the rail will be totally fine in that regard.
My reason for trading in the Rail for the EXe was the weight difference. I am old and have shoulder problems. Loading the Rail in and out of my truck was painful. My rides are not long so I was not using the full capacity of the battery or motor. I could get 100kms from a charge.

I find the EXe much more nimble and easier to steer through the tight single track trails. Someone else might find the opposite. We are all made differently.

I have not ridden the bike on the road enough but I think you will burn more battery or have to pedal harder to maintain your speed vs the Rail. But I don't really know if the difference will be significant or not. Someone else on the forum will know more than me.

The quiet motor on the EXe is nice.

Zed

Feb 26, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
Including the discussion which followed...
It's XC, no it's not, blue trails here are black trails there, where does Enduro end and Downhill start, etc.
FWIW I deleted stuff that was going way off topic in my defending our crappy trails here versus JP's amazing trails. That was going off topic and I've fixed it. Apologies for the huge inconvenience of reading a handful of unrelated posts. Must have been quite a burden.

As for who cares about the terrain, check post 582 it was all a (convoluted) response to.

The only way to find out what kind of bike is really capable of dealing with your riding style and your local trails is testing and talking to locals.
But it seems like what you're saying here is we aren't allowed to discuss the bikes' capabilities here in the Trek Fuel EXe Megathread(???). Not everyone has the ability to test ride, or people local with the bike to talk to about it. I sure didn't.

Before dropping $13K on a bike, talking through this decision on this forum seems like it could certainly be useful to many. Almost like, a worthwhile function and intention of an eMTB forum.

Last edited:

Zed

Feb 26, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
The new Rockshox forks with Charger 3 have complaints all over about being harsh (regardless of bike). It seems there is a design flaw or QA issue with their newer forks.

I got a 9.5 partly for that reason and immediately replaced the fork with a 2022 Fox 36 Elite 160mm with an ACS3 coil conversion (off Pinkbike - 700 OTD total).

With this fork the eXE is smooth as butter yet a total beast on the trails. I am shredding trails that I was scared to even attempt on my 2019 Stumpjumper Comp Carbon and that bike was no joke.

Furthermore the pins and needles I used to get in my hands is gone even with the stock 9.5 grips. It's almost a magic carpet ride over trail chatter but yet still very supportive and connected feeling.

This bike is amazing with the right setup. I am going to change the wheelset and tires next and it should be even better.

The stock 9.5 fork is worth ~300 so the total net cost for the mega fork upgrade came out to only ~400. You can probably get around 600-800 for your Charger 3 fork right now since its new so there are plenty of low net cost upgrade options.
I think it's a mistake to immediately bin the Charger 3. It's not garbage it's just different, and it can be made 160mm with minimal expense, if that's the requirement. There are plenty of stellar reviews, and the complaints probably mostly come from impatient people who expect it to setup like the old Rockshox. I felt the same thing at first.

Last edited:

Swingset

Sep 9, 2022
Southern Cal
office-space-fixed.gif

aptperson

Sep 6, 2022
Australia
How do you like the Bontrager tires that came with your Fuel? The grip seems barely adequate to me but I think they are fast rolling. This is compared to the really slow Assegai front tire on my manual bike. I thought my Fuel was an exceptionally fast coaster and now I realize it's the tires. So, I'm shopping for tires.

So, I love the grip of the Assegai and maybe rolling resistance doesn't matter much on an ebike. Are there better "Happy medium" tires? Buy the way, I'm a cowardly slow turner and probably always will be so cornering grip isn't as important to me as stability and braking over loose rocks and chunk. That is where the Bontragers are a little squirrely.

By the way, a weird thing about some Maxxis tires is most of their 29x2.5" tires are "WT" which means they are designed for 35mm wide rims, not our 29mm rims. However, they have 2.6" tires which are not WT. Are they better for 29mm rims?
If you're not a confident cornerer then I would stick to the Assegai out of the maxxis range. The Assegai has intermediate knobs between the center knobs and side knobs. This avoids the horrible dead patch that a lot of front tires (DHF/DHR II I'm looking at you) have when there is a gap/channel between the center and side knobs.

Why would not all tires have intermediate knobs then?
It is all about peak grip when the bike is leaned over. In theory having a gap between the center and side knobs allows the side knobs to dig in better and will generate more peak grip. Whereas with intermediate knobs, both these and the side knobs dig in at the same time, but to a lesser extent, hence generating less peak grip.

What will you be able to notice when riding?
On a tire like a DHF/DHR II as you lean the bike in there is a dead patch in the grip that you need to get through quickly, then the grip really ramps up, but you have to aggressively roll the bike onto the side knobs to experience this. I've managed it a few times and ended up on the inside of the corner as the front has bit in so hard. The downside is if you don't roll the bike enough the front will wash (I actually suspect this might be part of the cause of Rob's washout in his review video) or you will experience a skittish sensation from the front as it wanders around. This can cause people to be timid when leaning the bike in to avoid the dead patch and thus never really ending up on the side knobs.
On a tire with intermediate knobs the grip will be predictable/stable across all lean angles, with the downside of less peak grip and slower rolling.

My take is that since making the switch from the DHF to the Assegai on the front my cornering has improved greatly from the confidence I now have in the front end. We aren't all world cup racers who can get the bike leaned over every time. The Assegai also works amazingly well in all conditions.

Regarding WT, I've run them on 27mm rims and they were fine.

If you do want something faster rolling the profile of the new Maxxis Forecaster looks good:

Last edited:

smc_stefan

Oct 10, 2022
Austria
But it seems like what you're saying here is we aren't allowed to discuss the bikes' capabilities here in the Trek Fuel EXe Megathread(???). Not everyone has the ability to test ride, or people local with the bike to talk to about it. I sure didn't.

Before dropping $13K on a bike, talking through this decision on this forum seems like it could certainly be useful to many. Almost like, a worthwhile function and intention of an eMTB forum.

No, you're implying something I never said, that's mainly because on a forum you can not hear how I would say it, I'm always open for discussion, that's what I came here for, didn't want to start a grudge. Of course we should talk about the bike and it's capabilities but what I was aiming for is, that people should be more confident in building their own opinion of the bike in real life instead of relying on others, cause that can lead you to a wrong bike in the end. A bike that's great for you on your trail might be shit on my side an vice versa.

If I would have no ability to test ride the bike I would probably not buy it, it would be too much money spent on a surprise ride, either good or bad. We have a quite big but still family style riding community at my place and plenty of LBS around (2x Trek, Spesh, NOX, Ibis, Cube, Canyon, Santa, etc.), so test riding never was an issue, either at one of the LBS or on a privately owned bike. This sure is more difficult if you live in austere environments.

R2thek

Apr 10, 2022
Colorado
No, you're implying something I never said, that's mainly because on a forum you can not hear how I would say it, I'm always open for discussion, that's what I came here for, didn't want to start a grudge. Of course we should talk about the bike and it's capabilities but what I was aiming for is, that people should be more confident in building their own opinion of the bike in real life instead of relying on others, cause that can lead you to a wrong bike in the end. A bike that's great for you on your trail might be shit on my side an vice versa.

If I would have no ability to test ride the bike I would probably not buy it, it would be too much money spent on a surprise ride, either good or bad. We have a quite big but still family style riding community at my place and plenty of LBS around (2x Trek, Spesh, NOX, Ibis, Cube, Canyon, Santa, etc.), so test riding never was an issue, either at one of the LBS or on a privately owned bike. This sure is more difficult if you live in austere environments.
Since they don't have demos, Trek told me that if I wanted to return it within a month, no problem.

Zed

Feb 26, 2019
Brisbane, Australia

Well sure, if what you're saying is demo the bike if you can, then of course, makes sense. I'm in full agreement.

I didn't test ride the bike (on dirt) and I bought it. I made the decision on the large number of reviews both in youtube format and written. I gauged what people said about how the bike rides versus my trails. I have a lot of experience doing that because I have only once demo'd a bike on dirt (a 2018 Levo), and I've bought upwards of 15 new bikes including 4 ebikes. Is that ideal? Of course not, but the other choice is not to ride, and that's much less ideal again.

Demoing that 2018 Levo cost $150 that I only got back if I bought the bike :)

Luckily it worked out with the EXe, I love the bike.

Austere isn't a word I'd use to describe where I live in Brisbane, Australia at all :). Hopefully you're just talking about the retail MTB market here being austere and well that is true. It's a lower population and very short of MTB demos in any sense. Generally we get rodgered by retailers in all markets in Australia relative to the rest of world. Only big US companies like Amazon and Apple have recently bought anything in the vein of good customer service in my experience.

So for us here, and I assume many other people around the world or on this site, discussing the bikes capabilities and using wonderful reviews like Robs are all we have to make decisions with. Fortunately the EXe has a LOT of buzz and a huge number of reviews to help us out. Not sure I've seen quite so many youtube vids for a bike pop out all at once.

Last edited:

Zed

Feb 26, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
Wrapped my frame yesterday. Used Ridewrap. Was my first time that I wrapped a frame, but even for a novice it is not too hard. Took me approx 4 hours for a complete wrap. Sizing was very accurate.
I was going to do this. Then I heard people say things like "4 hours". And so I didn't :)

That's quite an effort lol... 👏

Balboa

Sep 25, 2022
NL
@Zed I did a complete wrap. I reckon that if you do this more often, it won't take you 4 hours. It's very well described with numbers and a layout.

I chose for the 'tailored' fit. You can chose for less covering optoin.

Reactions: Zed

Balboa

Sep 25, 2022
NL
I had plans to upgrade my 9.5 with a Fox Factory 36, but changed my mind and bought a Marzocchi Bomber Z1 coil. Planning to check it out for this weekend. Will change the brakes as well ...Magura MT7 and gonna use my wheelset form my Banshee Prime V3. And not to forget, I'll change the stock damper for a RS Deluxe Ultimate. Was looking for a coil version, but they are sold out in 205x60 or 62.5.

My 9.5 was sold with tektro brakes. Thought they were rubbish, but have to say that they do a pretty good job. Only the levelers are rubbisch.

Reactions: Zed

apollon

Aug 19, 2022
Charlotte, NC
If you're not a confident cornerer then I would stick to the Assegai out of the maxxis range. The Assegai has intermediate knobs between the center knobs and side knobs. This avoids the horrible dead patch that a lot of front tires (DHF/DHR II I'm looking at you) have when there is a gap/channel between the center and side knobs.

Why would not all tires have intermediate knobs then?
It is all about peak grip when the bike is leaned over. In theory having a gap between the center and side knobs allows the side knobs to dig in better and will generate more peak grip. Whereas with intermediate knobs, both these and the side knobs dig in at the same time, but to a lesser extent, hence generating less peak grip.

What will you be able to notice when riding?
On a tire like a DHF/DHR II as you lean the bike in there is a dead patch in the grip that you need to get through quickly, then the grip really ramps up, but you have to aggressively roll the bike onto the side knobs to experience this. I've managed it a few times and ended up on the inside of the corner as the front has bit in so hard. The downside is if you don't roll the bike enough the front will wash (I actually suspect this might be part of the cause of Rob's washout in his review video) or you will experience a skittish sensation from the front as it wanders around. This can cause people to be timid when leaning the bike in to avoid the dead patch and thus never really ending up on the side knobs.
On a tire with intermediate knobs the grip will be predictable/stable across all lean angles, with the downside of less peak grip and slower rolling.

My take is that since making the switch from the DHF to the Assegai on the front my cornering has improved greatly from the confidence I now have in the front end. We aren't all world cup racers who can get the bike leaned over every time. The Assegai also works amazingly well in all conditions.

Regarding WT, I've run them on 27mm rims and they were fine.

If you do want something faster rolling the profile of the new Maxxis Forecaster looks good:
That is useful insight in terms of your experience. Theoretically speaking however, wouldn't a 2.4in DHR II have its side knobs engage faster than a 2.5in Assegai? This is plain geometry given the DHR's smaller diameter. Assegai would probably still engage its intermediate knobs faster than a 2.4in DHR would engage its side knobs but it sounds surprising that this effect was so pronounced. I have ridden both Assegai and DHR II for about a year each and I cannot tell a difference in cornering. Plus, I've never experienced a washout with either tire. Not to mention Assegai would clog easier with a bit of mud, defeating its otherwise higher grip abilities.

DugT

Sep 4, 2022
Truckee, CA
.....By the way, a weird thing about some Maxxis tires is most of their 29x2.5" tires are "WT" which means they are designed for 35mm wide rims, not our 29mm rims. However, they have 2.6" tires which are not WT. Are they better for 29mm rims?
Maxxis said, "For any 2.60 size we recommend 35-40mm (rims) for best performance."

Zed

Feb 26, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
That is useful insight in terms of your experience. Theoretically speaking however, wouldn't a 2.4in DHR II have its side knobs engage faster than a 2.5in Assegai? This is plain geometry given the DHR's smaller diameter. Assegai would probably still engage its intermediate knobs faster than a 2.4in DHR would engage its side knobs but it sounds surprising that this effect was so pronounced. I have ridden both Assegai and DHR II for about a year each and I cannot tell a difference in cornering. Plus, I've never experienced a washout with either tire. Not to mention Assegai would clog easier with a bit of mud, defeating its otherwise higher grip abilities.
Just to throw in my 2c on the Minion/Assegai topic.

Having spent around 5 or 6 years with the DHF on the front, some time with the DHR2 (I just preferred the DHF on front myself), and the last year or two on the Assegai, I would say the Assegai does not give a whole lot away to the DHF at full lean cornering. Yes there's a little, that "locked in" feeling from the DHF that is a little more than the Assegai. The DHF has a sense of cutting into the ground. But all said and done it's not very much, and for myself at that kind of commitment I've got my weight over the bike and can deal with a little sliding anyway. The Assegai has a lot more grip at any milder lean angles, that IS a noticeable, real difference. I'd be inclined to use the DHF over the Assegai only if rolling resistance was a huge concern (i.e. an analog trail bike) because it does roll better.

Noting I don't ride in the wet much and when I do it's mostly just damp and not muddy, I won't comment on wet performance.

Oct 16, 2022
Georgia
Get your chainring torque checked owners. After two rides this weekend I had major creaking from the BB. After my ride yesterday I felt the chainring was a bit loose by moving it with my hand.

When the cranks were removed the chainring was hardly hand tight.
My bike has the 30nm stamp on it but the serial (still speculation) suggests it's one of the newer models that got torqued properly from the factory.

Torqued it to 50nm this morning and all good now!
Same here. Pull, loctite, and torque out of the box, regardless of time of purchase. And if you do this kind of thIng yourself, be aware that you'll likely need some new (but inexpensive) tools if you haven't dealt with ISIS before.

Oct 16, 2022
Georgia
Found it Thankyou!

And yes I have also been constantly dropping chains along with the creaking. Much appreciated.
The chain guide is not tight\narrow enough. Try using thicker washers to space out from frame a little more and then some mastic tape inside of it on the outboard side. Will solve the dropped chain issue.

This is WAY easier to do if you do it at the same time you are loctiting and fishing the chainring\spider.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2022
Georgia
I just checked and my beep tone is worthless too. I’d assumed it was off. Nope. I checked and it’s on. I can’t even hear it.

I dropped my bike off tonight to have the 4414 investigated. I’m also having the LBS check why the lower shock connection to the frame is moving and making a knock noise. The lower shock bolt is tight but I didn’t check it for proper torque.
If you're an experienced home mechanic, try greasing and tightening down by feel. Needs to be pretty darn tight.

Love the bike. Only thing I am maybe unimpressed with is the bearing/linkage and shock mount, and maybe the paint quality.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2022
Georgia
The TQ to Chainring/Spider connector is TQ's own lobe design. Depending on your level, you got a 1pc e13 or 2pc-spider. 2pc spider shown in the pic is 104 BCD that will fit any standard ring. (you may be able to order this as a spare part)
34t: you CAN fit it, but after riding many iterations, the 32t has the best range for me. Larger ring can push the chain outside the main pivot center, creating more pedal bob. The only reason I could see doing this is if you are very fit and/or spinning out your cassette 10t often. What is the main driver for trying a 34t? maybe it is something else.

View attachment 98821
Bought a 9.7 and only oem parts left are single-piece ring and cranks. That two piece spider is made by FSA (out of left field, right). Currently not for sale by FSA. Hopefully can get one through Trek when I burn through current ring. Would really like to run a wolf tooth stainless.

Oct 16, 2022
Georgia
Bike has 205 x 60 in it. Fox lists a 205 x 62.5. Leads one to believe that a 2.5mm spacer is in the 60 that could be removed. So stock travel is 140/60=2.33 leverage ratio. 2.5mm x 2.33= 5.82mm of increased travel or 146 give or take?

Maybe there is another 2.5mm spacer in there?

As a 210-215 pound aggressive rider, I wouldn't bother with that stock shock. If you're going to try it and willing to spend some money, consider a 205x65 Hazzard and pick up 2.5 and 5mm travel reducers when you purchase. Clip on and off in 2 seconds and inexpensive. If you are comfortable pushing the bushings out of the eyelets, you can use the fox hardware in the MRP.

Oct 16, 2022
Georgia
It is with great happiness that I eat my words. After talking to the "service advisor" guy who is apparently not a mechanic, I took the bike in, with not high hopes. He tried to run diags, came out and said the display is dead, dragged one of the new ones off the floor. Came back out with mine all working, latest firmware etc, all sorted. Maybe 20 mins after I arrived I was leaving with a working bike. I'm really happy with that, and I can ride tomorrow.

Maybe water got in the display, I did wash it, but then I've washed it loads of times the same way. Dunno.
Display \ head unit failed on mine as well. But I'll take some peripheral electronic failures out of box all day long if I don't have any motor or battery problems.

Hitorogoshi

May 19, 2020
South Africa
My left side (non drive) crank came loose on the trails this weekend. Right after a jumpy descent. Very lucky nothing bad happened. I noticed a weird grind on my next climb and when I looked down the crank was almost off. Luckily the bolt never fell out.

So get yours checked. The torque spec on the cranks is 40nm (yes it's a lot).
I added some blue loctite to mine for peace of mind. Was a scary situation.

I don't like that my linkage has started creaking so soon.

Oct 16, 2022
Georgia
There was pretty much zero grease everywhere it should be, which in my limited experience is often the case from the factory unless assembled in the States. Need to pull the linkages and crank arms apart and reassemble with grease and loctite. Also have a hard look at lower shock mount. With that done, mine is quite.

But don't understand why the bearings are so tiny. Almost pointless to try to fully pack them with grease, especially with the orientation they were installed.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles