Fuel EXe Official Trek Fuel EXe Megathread!

Emailsucks98

Nov 12, 2020
Bellingham Wa
I have a question for those of you that have over-stroked the stock rear shock.

With the stock shock (RockShox Super Deluxe Select+ RT, 205mm x 60mm) I’m getting full travel 1-2x a ride. It’s pushing the o-ring off the end of the shaft. So that has me wondering how removing a travel spacer is going to work. I’m wondering if the stock shock is indeed limited to 60mm stroke, more seems like it would exceed the amount of available air shaft.

Any thoughts here?

Cell4soul

E*POWAH Master
Jul 11, 2022
Mesa, AZ
Another ride yesterday afternoon at my local spot. my range is getting a little better, but I think only due to my legs pushing a little harder. I wasn’t any more tired after this ride than previous. I was able to put together the following numbers:

Ride:
21.67 miles
2,215’ elevation
64% battery used

If I rode until 100% battery used:
33.85 miles
3,460’ elevation

I am good with those numbers. That is way more than my average ride on my Ibis Mojo. Pics of numbers below:

873CF092-8DD4-4997-8E31-8B7F85048533.jpeg 776454E0-1893-4CA8-89EC-8D32885A9063.jpeg

Cell4soul

E*POWAH Master
Jul 11, 2022
Mesa, AZ
Are these standard Garmin fields or is this thru an add-on app?
No, not a Garmin app. It is called Ebike Field. You need to go to Garmin Connect IQ to download the app to Garmin Connect. Then, sync Garmin Connect app to your Garmin device (mine is the 830, but several others work). Once it is on your Garmin device, you can add it to a Data Screen on your Garmin device, the same way you add something like gears on a Data Screen. Picture of Ebike Fields app below:

8E4DE909-4734-47B0-BFB9-71CB17322392.jpeg

Balboa

Sep 25, 2022
NL
How do you get on with it? I like the sound of "minimal setup time, maximum grip and minimal maintenance"

Ordered a red one, but they send me a black one. So there is a small delay. Red one will be delivererd within a few days, but then first I have to decrease the travel from 170 to 160mm . There were no red 160mm in stock.......

Will let you know my experience.......but 'set and forget' and minimal maintenance is very nice:)

dannyb

Oct 6, 2022
Calabasas, CA
Here's a pic of my setup with the new wheels and tires. I love the way the Line Pro 30s match with the Dnister Black, looks like they came with the bike.

Cassette upgraded to XT (came with the wheels and its lighter so why not).

20221021_085444.jpg
20221021_101151.jpg

Last edited:

socal_rider

Jun 6, 2021
Temecula, CA
No, not a Garmin app. It is called Ebike Field. You need to go to Garmin Connect IQ to download the app to Garmin Connect. Then, sync Garmin Connect app to your Garmin device (mine is the 830, but several others work). Once it is on your Garmin device, you can add it to a Data Screen on your Garmin device, the same way you add something like gears on a Data Screen. Picture of Ebike Fields app below:

View attachment 99757

Nice. Thanks for the tips.

mitea

Sep 10, 2022
Switzerland - LU
Are these standard Garmin fields or is this thru an add-on app?
Wahoo Elemnt Roam/Bolt both are able to connect to any ANT+ LEV profile (trek/tq uses that for data transfer) out of the box. Just in case you don't have any yet. Take a serious look at the Wahoo devices also. I personally think they are more user friendly than the garmin devices. Also the display is better. More readable even in direct sunlight and you don't have any glitches if there are waterdrops or mud on the display.

socal_rider

Jun 6, 2021
Temecula, CA
Wahoo Elemnt Roam/Bolt both are able to connect to any ANT+ LEV profile (trek/tq uses that for data transfer) out of the box. Just in case you don't have any yet. Take a serious look at the Wahoo devices also. I personally think they are more user friendly than the garmin devices. Also the display is better. More readable even in direct sunlight and you don't have any glitches if there are waterdrops or mud on the display.

I have a Garmin 130 and my wife has a 530. She has AXS shifter so having the battery level for that would be a nice addition.

levity

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Founding Member
Feb 15, 2018
SoCal
Thanks Levity, sadly those seem unattainable in the US, at least in a 203mm size. My shop says they don’t exist on Shimanos B2B page. I’m experimenting with a variety of hacks…
there's this web search engine with a funny name, "Google" . . . ;)
(of course you'll need to call to confirm "in stock" as listed)

EM810 1.jpeg

EM810 2.jpeg

EM810 3.jpeg

*** Apologies for the large pics, I tried to insert Thumbnail images ***

Last edited:

Emailsucks98

Nov 12, 2020
Bellingham Wa
there's this web search engine with a funny name, "Google" . . . ;)
(of course you'll need to call to confirm "in stock" as listed)
*** Apologies for the large pics, I tried to insert Thumbnail images ***
Haha, all good- I had actually been searching for the RT-EM900. Thanks for the links.

In other news, since I’ve mulleted my Fuel, I was hoping to change the fork travel from 150 to 160, but it sounds like the 2023 Lyrik airsprings won’t be available till February, and the older airsprings won’t work as we’d hoped. Local suspension tuner tried, he did say the select+ does basically have buttercups (but maybe a different rubber durometer or something). So now I’m debating waiting vs getting a Zeb. I do really like the charger 3 damper so far.

yase

Jul 30, 2022
Perth
Anyone know of a chainring bash guard that is compatible with the exe? Looks like the chain guide is designed specifically for this bike.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Has anyone put a 27.5 wheel on the back of their fuel exe yet? And if you did is there a way of ensuring that that motor speed limit stays at 15.5mph (or 20mph in us) ?

The faq section ( FAQ - Fuel EXe | Trek Bikes (GB)) for the fuel on the trek website says the below,which implies it will not be possible to ensure the motor cuts out at the right speed.

Is it compatible with other wheel/tyre sizes?

Yes, this bike is mullet-compatible. Riders can run a 27.5” rear wheel for better bike-to-body clearance and more agile handling. This requires the Mino Link to be in the High position. Note, the smaller wheel circumference will affect the accuracy of the speed reading and cannot be adjusted.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Are the bike weights listed on the trek website for the different fuel exe models generally accurate?

Cell4soul

E*POWAH Master
Jul 11, 2022
Mesa, AZ
What's your full spec list?
Build Kit:

- X01 AXS derailleur and shifter
- SRAM X01 Eagle cassette
- XX1 Eagle Chain
- I9 Hydra Hubs
- Nox Farlow; 27.5 rear wheel / 29 front wheel (gonna run it mullet)
- DT Swiss Competition Spokes
- Deity Bladerunner pedals
- Deity Apex 35 stem
- Deity Skywire 35 mm handlebars
- E13 E-spec carbon 160 mm cranks
- Shimano XTR 9120 brakes
- Bike Yoke Revive dropper post, 160 mm
- Fox Float X2 shock
- Fox 36 Performance Elite 160 mm fork
- Specialized Power Arc Pro seat
- SRAM HS2 disc brake rotors - 200 mm
- Bridgestone Kryptotal RE 27.5 (rear tire; enduro casing) Kryptotal FR 29 (front tire; trail casing)
- Lizard Skin Peatty lock-on grips
- Jagwire braided cables
- PNW Components dropper post lever
- MTX Gold Label ceramic pads

Cell4soul

E*POWAH Master
Jul 11, 2022
Mesa, AZ
Has anyone put a 27.5 wheel on the back of their fuel exe yet? And if you did is there a way of ensuring that that motor speed limit stays at 15.5mph (or 20mph in us) ?

The faq section ( FAQ - Fuel EXe | Trek Bikes (GB)) for the fuel on the trek website says the below,which implies it will not be possible to ensure the motor cuts out at the right speed.

Is it compatible with other wheel/tyre sizes?

Yes, this bike is mullet-compatible. Riders can run a 27.5” rear wheel for better bike-to-body clearance and more agile handling. This requires the Mino Link to be in the High position. Note, the smaller wheel circumference will affect the accuracy of the speed reading and cannot be adjusted.
I am running a 27.5 rear wheel. The speed will be off (bike a little slower) until they come out with a software update to allow you to change the wheel diameter. As was mentioned, the MINO Link must be run in high. I wouldn’t run it lower as I don’t want to affect the warranty. I also don’t want the bottom bracket higher; I get a lot of pedal strikes with this bike, even running my 160 cranks.

Cell4soul

E*POWAH Master
Jul 11, 2022
Mesa, AZ
Are the bike weights listed on the trek website for the different fuel exe models generally accurate?

I think they are probably very close. They weigh mediums without pedals). My bike is a large at exactly 41 lbs with pedals. I think my pedals are just under 1 lb. That puts me at just over 41 lbs in size large w/o pedals. The EXe 9.8 XT in size medium is stated by Trek at 39.91 lbs.

Emailsucks98

Nov 12, 2020
Bellingham Wa
Thanks Towser. Looks like that would fit into different style of CL lock ring than I have (mine has splines around the OD rather than the ID). I‘m running King hubs which won’t work with that ID Lockring.

My temp fix seems to be OK for now- I just sandwiched the 6-bolt magnet clip between the lockring and rotor. Collecting a bunch of cheap magnet solutions for a more permanent hack.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Thanks Towser. Looks like that would fit into different style of CL lock ring than I have (mine has splines around the OD rather than the ID). I‘m running King hubs which won’t work with that ID Lockring.

My temp fix seems to be OK for now- I just sandwiched the 6-bolt magnet clip between the lockring and rotor. Collecting a bunch of cheap magnet solutions for a more permanent hack.
Just araldite a magnet to a centerlock rotor.

Emailsucks98

Nov 12, 2020
Bellingham Wa
I'm running the mullet wheels. Comparing against my garmin, I found the speeds were off less than 1mph.

Beware if you get the Fuel 9.8 though, the air shaft needed to set the Lyrik up at 160mm (as suggested by Trek) won't be available until February. Bike rides fine with the fork at 150mm, just lower and steeper.

TheRed

Oct 6, 2022
Midlands, UK
Build Kit:

- X01 AXS derailleur and shifter
- SRAM X01 Eagle cassette
- XX1 Eagle Chain
- I9 Hydra Hubs
- Nox Farlow; 27.5 rear wheel / 29 front wheel (gonna run it mullet)
- DT Swiss Competition Spokes
- Deity Bladerunner pedals
- Deity Apex 35 stem
- Deity Skywire 35 mm handlebars
- E13 E-spec carbon 160 mm cranks
- Shimano XTR 9120 brakes
- Bike Yoke Revive dropper post, 160 mm
- Fox Float X2 shock
- Fox 36 Performance Elite 160 mm fork
- Specialized Power Arc Pro seat
- SRAM HS2 disc brake rotors - 200 mm
- Bridgestone Kryptotal RE 27.5 (rear tire; enduro casing) Kryptotal FR 29 (front tire; trail casing)
- Lizard Skin Peatty lock-on grips
- Jagwire braided cables
- PNW Components dropper post lever
- MTX Gold Label ceramic pads
Wow, that's nice, puts mind to shade

Chicane

Nov 11, 2020
SoCal
Anyone know of a bike shop in the Southern California/ Orange County where you can demo one of these bikes? I’m currently on a Rise would love to see how one of these compares for myself.

izzymtb

Sep 1, 2022
SoCal
Anyone know of a bike shop in the Southern California/ Orange County where you can demo one of these bikes? I’m currently on a Rise would love to see how one of these compares for myself.
Anyone who has them in stock can let you demo it. If you go to treks website and choose a particular bike it will show you locations where they are in stock.

Chicane

Nov 11, 2020
SoCal
Anyone who has them in stock can let you demo it. If you go to treks website and choose a particular bike it will show you locations where they are in stock.
Not true, or I wouldn’t have posted this question. Not too many(if any) bike shops offer you one of their bikes in stock(for sale)unless it’s strictly built as/ for a Demo purpose.

I know where they are in stock and they aren’t for demo.

Last edited:

Black8917

Jun 17, 2021
PNW
What are you guys getting for elevation on highest assist mode? I typically do 2000 ft in about 4.5 miles on fire road with my rail. It takes me about 25 minutes to get to the top in turbo. I’m wondering if an EXe could do it or if it would need the range extender.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles