Fuel EXe Official Trek Fuel EXe Megathread!

BobMtnBkr

Mar 17, 2022
Williamsburg VA
Dropped by my LBS today to discuss warranty work on my ’21 Rail 9.8 XT and they had a ’23 Fuel Exe 9.8 XT & a 9.7 on the floor. After struggling with arm pain and “battery knock” with my Rail, I’m considering trading it in for a new Fuel.

The 9.8 XT had RockShox suspension (Lyric select + (Charger 3 damper) and (I think) RockShox Super Deluxe Select +.

The 9.7 had FOX suspension (Fox Rhythm 36, Float EVOL air spring, GRIP damper) & (I think) Fox Performance Float X.

Just read the 552 replies and don’t recall anyone reviewing stock suspension performance???

Any feedback on stock suspension? I ride deep woods single track.

Swingset

Sep 9, 2022
Southern Cal
Judging by the Shimano ep8 spindle failures, E13 seem to like throwing more torque at their problems. Let's hope this isn't the case.
Not a crankarm issue. I suspect the lock ring preloads the motor bearings to keep the BB spindle from walking back and forth. The crank arm just presses onto the spindle (but not the same distance each time on each bike) so they need a way to take up play axially. Hence the lock ring. But how the hell would I know, I don't even have one yet!

Looks like the EP8 has a hole in the spindle that is causing a stress riser that causes a crack to form. I ruined a set of crank arms on my E8000 at the splines due to rock strikes. For Shimano is kind of a funky design. It theoretically not possible to clamp a spline like they do.

Oldhack79

Aug 30, 2022
Perth, Western Australia
I don't miss my Kenevo SL at all!!
Hope that helps ;)
Great to hear.
Curious to know, is your EX E still the standard travel? The KSL is another I am looking at but think the extra power of the Trek would better suit me. I don't want a FF, but worry the SL is too weak. This seems to strike a better balance power wise but without the travel of the KSL. I would bump up the travel both ends, perhaps not to the extreme Rob has but probably to 160/150ish F/R.
Keen to hear how yours is set up to make the above statement?

Hitorogoshi

May 19, 2020
South Africa
Great to hear.
Curious to know, is your EX E still the standard travel? The KSL is another I am looking at but think the extra power of the Trek would better suit me. I don't want a FF, but worry the SL is too weak. This seems to strike a better balance power wise but without the travel of the KSL. I would bump up the travel both ends, perhaps not to the extreme Rob has but probably to 160/150ish F/R.
Keen to hear how yours is set up to make the above statement?
I have it setup 160mm Zeb up front. A few guys have done it (upped to 150mm rear) and report they have felt hardly any difference. The bike is lively and suits my riding style. The Kenevo was an amazing bike but it was like driving a bathtub through mud. It just ploughs. I think if you size down on the Kenevo you could achieve a fun ride. It's a parky plough machine. If you want fun on the trails the exe is your weapon. That being said the exe with 160 up front is just as capable. I hit everything I did with the Kenevo on the exe, and it's a lot more fun.

Oldhack79

Aug 30, 2022
Perth, Western Australia
I have it setup 160mm Zeb up front. A few guys have done it (upped to 150mm rear) and report they have felt hardly any difference. The bike is lively and suits my riding style. The Kenevo was an amazing bike but it was like driving a bathtub through mud. It just ploughs. I think if you size down on the Kenevo you could achieve a fun ride. It's a parky plough machine. If you want fun on the trails the exe is your weapon. That being said the exe with 160 up front is just as capable. I hit everything I did with the Kenevo on the exe, and it's a lot more fun.
Thanks so much for that response (y). Exactly what I was hoping. I currently run an analogue Spesh Sumpy EVO and enjoy the liveliness/playfulness of the ride over the Spesh Enduro I tested at the same time. Sounds very similar to the comparison you describe above. Looking to carry a similar fun, lively ride into the Emtb scene for my first Ebike. I am quite fit and like to pedal so not worried about not being full power. Sounding more and more like the EXE is the bike for me!
Last question, what dimension/spec shock is required to get 150 rear travel? Want to price up my total build based on various component options. Happy to PM if you prefer not to share publicly :cool:

AMbmb2168

Aug 9, 2022
Canada
Hi Guys,
It's been a decade since I rode a mtb and I'm pretty unfit and tanking in at 107kg currently... I'm wanting to get back into riding and get some fitness back in me. I will mostly ride pretty flat single tracks near me ~500ft elevation over 10-20km. I was thinking about a Rail as an Emtb feels like it would help me ease back into it all and the more fun it is the more i'll do it etc. However, I really like the look and the design of the Fuel exe, I was probably only thinking of a Fuel exe 9.5 model of which there is plenty here in NZ in shops.
Would you guys think that the exe would haul my fat arse around a track (with hopefully some assistance from me) like above or do you think my current weight might drain the battery excessively and/or not be enough power and a full fat emtb would be a better bet? As the tracks are mostly flat I'm curious to get your opinions.
Both the rail 9.7 and fuel exe 9.5 (same price) felt really good to me in a small carpark, but it's hard to judge in a carpark, especially when you haven't biked in ages.

Thanks All,
I just started riding a Exe 9.5 having traded my Rail in on it.

The EXe is much more nimble and easier to steer through a narrow single track trail (avoiding trees and rocks ). And much more easier to load in and out of a vehicle.

The trails I mostly ride on are 12-20kms long with about 250-400 meter elevation.

So far, on a ride like that my battery consumption has been about 35%. I weigh 78kg

There are a few very steep loose gravelly hills on those trails and I have made it up using the high assistance level. But the Rail would have got up those with less effort from me.

I went on a flatter longer ride (26km, 100m elevation) and used 34% of the battery.

Edit to add that on the single track trails I’m only averaging about 10-12 km/hour.

Last edited:

Hitorogoshi

May 19, 2020
South Africa
Thanks so much for that response (y). Exactly what I was hoping. I currently run an analogue Spesh Sumpy EVO and enjoy the liveliness/playfulness of the ride over the Spesh Enduro I tested at the same time. Sounds very similar to the comparison you describe above. Looking to carry a similar fun, lively ride into the Emtb scene for my first Ebike. I am quite fit and like to pedal so not worried about not being full power. Sounding more and more like the EXE is the bike for me!
Last question, what dimension/spec shock is required to get 150 rear travel? Want to price up my total build based on various component options. Happy to PM if you prefer not to share publicly :cool:

If you go 9.7 I believe you can remove the spacers on the stock shock, which will effectively give you 152mm of rear travel. I'll try find the exact specs for you from the facebook group

prolix2

Aug 21, 2022
United States

The EXe is much more nimble and easier to steer through a narrow single track trail (avoiding trees and rocks ). And much more easier to load in and out of a vehicle.

The trails I mostly ride on are 12-20kms long with about 250-400 meter elevation.

So far, on a ride like that my battery consumption has been about 35%. I weigh 78kg

There are a few very steep loose gravelly hills on those trails and I have made it up using the high assistance level. But the Rail would have got up those with less effort from me.

I went on a flatter longer ride (26km, 100m elevation) and used 34% of the battery.

Edit to add that on the single track trails I’m only averaging about 10-12 km/hour.
You are so right. But I don't find the rail to be that much less maneuverable than the EXE.

Swingset

Sep 9, 2022
Southern Cal
If you go 9.7 I believe you can remove the spacers on the stock shock, which will effectively give you 152mm of rear travel. I'll try find the exact specs for you from the facebook group
Bike has 205 x 60 in it. Fox lists a 205 x 62.5. Leads one to believe that a 2.5mm spacer is in the 60 that could be removed. So stock travel is 140/60=2.33 leverage ratio. 2.5mm x 2.33= 5.82mm of increased travel or 146 give or take?

Maybe there is another 2.5mm spacer in there?

Cell4soul

E*POWAH Master
Jul 11, 2022
Mesa, AZ
This makes no sense to me. Running the mino link in the high position raises the BB, doesn’t it? Going to a 160mm fork also raises the BB, so if anything, wouldn’t you want to run the mino link in the low position to keep the BB the same.

For instance on my Rise the BB is low and the 160mm fork raises it enough to help prevent pedal strikes.

i am running mullet, so that lowered my bottom bracket. I am running 160 mm fork and Mino link in high. Not sure how this altered bottom bracket height in comparison to a stock bike with 29” real wheel and Mino link in the low position, but it is probably fairly similar.

Cell4soul

E*POWAH Master
Jul 11, 2022
Mesa, AZ
“Clicking” and “Creaking” noise started on my bike this morning. I dropped it off at my LBS. I will report back, but it is Probably the torque issue with the motor and/or lock ring.

Larno

Apr 10, 2022
Christchurch, New Zealand

Thanks for the info, out of curiosity what was your reasoning for swapping the Rail to the Exe?
How is the exe on the road? is it easy to keep it around the motor speed cap or do you have to put in loads of effort to keep it there? I'm thinking a benefit of an ebike is being able to bike the 7-8 Km's to the trails as well. I know the rail will be totally fine in that regard.

addthebadd

Sep 7, 2022
Wales, UK
Thanks for the info, out of curiosity what was your reasoning for swapping the Rail to the Exe?
How is the exe on the road? is it easy to keep it around the motor speed cap or do you have to put in loads of effort to keep it there? I'm thinking a benefit of an ebike is being able to bike the 7-8 Km's to the trails as well. I know the rail will be totally fine in that regard.
I can cruise at the limit in Eco mode without much effort. I don't mind slowing down on hills, and I prefer to stay in Eco until I'm off road.

Zed

Feb 26, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
How do you like the Bontrager tires that came with your Fuel? The grip seems barely adequate to me but I think they are fast rolling. This is compared to the really slow Assegai front tire on my manual bike. I thought my Fuel was an exceptionally fast coaster and now I realize it's the tires. So, I'm shopping for tires.

So, I love the grip of the Assegai and maybe rolling resistance doesn't matter much on an ebike. Are there better "Happy medium" tires? Buy the way, I'm a cowardly slow turner and probably always will be so cornering grip isn't as important to me as stability and braking over loose rocks and chunk. That is where the Bontragers are a little squirrely.

By the way, a weird thing about some Maxxis tires is most of their 29x2.5" tires are "WT" which means they are designed for 35mm wide rims, not our 29mm rims. However, they have 2.6" tires which are not WT. Are they better for 29mm rims?
Bontrager that came on it was horrendous as front tire, acceptable for a rear.

A decent tire is going to help you get better at cornering faster over time. For braking it's obviously essential.

WT are fine for 30-35mm (and that is stated by Maxxis). I've used them on 30mm for years now. I love the Assegai myself here in dry dusty Queensland. I guess it might not be the best in wetter places, though I'm sure it still holds its own. Get a 3C tire for the front if not both ends. You could always burn the Bontragers on the back, but I'd rather some more rear braking grip.

I have a 29x2.5 Assegai Max Terra on the front of my 9.8XT carbon rim, and it's exceptional, probably the single best upgrade you can do for the stock bike :)

Zed

Feb 26, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
Hi Guys,
It's been a decade since I rode a mtb and I'm pretty unfit and tanking in at 107kg currently... I'm wanting to get back into riding and get some fitness back in me. I will mostly ride pretty flat single tracks near me ~500ft elevation over 10-20km. I was thinking about a Rail as an Emtb feels like it would help me ease back into it all and the more fun it is the more i'll do it etc. However, I really like the look and the design of the Fuel exe, I was probably only thinking of a Fuel exe 9.5 model of which there is plenty here in NZ in shops.
Would you guys think that the exe would haul my fat arse around a track (with hopefully some assistance from me) like above or do you think my current weight might drain the battery excessively and/or not be enough power and a full fat emtb would be a better bet? As the tracks are mostly flat I'm curious to get your opinions.
Both the rail 9.7 and fuel exe 9.5 (same price) felt really good to me in a small carpark, but it's hard to judge in a carpark, especially when you haven't biked in ages.

Thanks All,
I would just say don't worry about the EXe being enough, it will be. It will probably NOT be enough if you are riding with other ebikers on full fats especially if they're a lot lighter than you and/or want to ride in Boost. If you're by yourself or with other analog bikers, it won't be lacking in assistance.

The full fat will give you full easy mode, but the EXe will encourage you to work for it; encourage you to work on your fitness. At least that's my take. You can still get fit on the full fat. But I never like tootling around on the heavier bike. YMMV.

Honestly, there really isn't a BAD choice here, just an optimal one, for you. For me on my local trails the last full fat I had at 160mm was too much bike and it just got boring. The EXe feels the trail and rides up more like a normal bike, so it's more engaging, hopefully for the long term.

Zed

Feb 26, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
Dropped by my LBS today to discuss warranty work on my ’21 Rail 9.8 XT and they had a ’23 Fuel Exe 9.8 XT & a 9.7 on the floor. After struggling with arm pain and “battery knock” with my Rail, I’m considering trading it in for a new Fuel.

The 9.8 XT had RockShox suspension (Lyric select + (Charger 3 damper) and (I think) RockShox Super Deluxe Select +.

The 9.7 had FOX suspension (Fox Rhythm 36, Float EVOL air spring, GRIP damper) & (I think) Fox Performance Float X.

Just read the 552 replies and don’t recall anyone reviewing stock suspension performance???

Any feedback on stock suspension? I ride deep woods single track.
I have the 9.8XT and am sticking with the stock suspension at least until I get bored much later on :)

The new Charger 3 I find harsher compared to the older plush 2.1 Lyrik and I was disappointed at first. It feels more like Fox suspension to me. It has no tokens by default so the air spring is obviously a lot more progressive out of the box. It's very sensitive to damper settings and sag, small tweaks do a lot, so there's fiddling to be done. I'm getting along with it now. It rides really surprisingly well through proper rough stuff but is not small bump friendly. At only (?) 150mm that seems OK. Part of the teething problems for me was probably coming from a 160mm heavy Orbea Wild with a Fox 38, this bike rattles me around more, and I had to learn to ride the better lines again. I'm liking the fork now and feel no urge to change it out. I'll probably up it to 160 when servicing time comes though TBH, because why not.

The rear is good. It felt a bit dead until I put a cushcore in the rear and so I could drop the pressure to something sensible down from the 32psi that somehow still got rim strikes. Now I've backed off the rebound damping and it's nice and poppy but still controlled. It feels like what I was really after with the lighter ebike. Probably still needs a token in there TBH, I'm not real light. It's funny I was avoiding cushcore on this bike thinking it would make the back end feel heavier and dead, but I don't notice the weight at all and the lower pressure of the tire along with damping changes means the suspension livened up. So I far prefer the ride with the cushcore in, while simultaneously not having to deal with pinch flats/rim strikes. The cushcore will stay.

I can vouch for the carbon rims too. I've had a few good smacks on the rim including a ride-ending pinch flat on a high speed trail and there isn't ANY mark at all on the rear rim, it's like it didn't happen. Wonderful, these hits would have dinged even good alloys for sure.

Overall this suspension setup I'd call a competent trail setup, it's not a monster truck like the bigger bikes IME, but can be pushed plenty with a little finesse. It does it's real job of keeping traction very well. More engaging to ride.

I would add, expect to be knocked around a bit more on this vs the Rail. You mention arm pain, well you'll be gripping the bars tighter on this versus the Rail for a given rough bit of trail at a given speed. I'm still running the standard grips, I got better ones on the way but I don't expect it will make a tonne of difference. The bike is a lot lighter and that does make a difference to how much gets transmitted to the rider, IMO. Like I said, this bike demands a bit more finesse in line choice, I like this personally.

Last edited:

dannyb

Oct 6, 2022
Calabasas, CA
The new Rockshox forks with Charger 3 have complaints all over about being harsh (regardless of bike). It seems there is a design flaw or QA issue with their newer forks.

I got a 9.5 partly for that reason and immediately replaced the fork with a 2022 Fox 36 Elite 160mm with an ACS3 coil conversion (off Pinkbike - 700 OTD total).

With this fork the eXE is smooth as butter yet a total beast on the trails. I am shredding trails that I was scared to even attempt on my 2019 Stumpjumper Comp Carbon and that bike was no joke.

Furthermore the pins and needles I used to get in my hands is gone even with the stock 9.5 grips. It's almost a magic carpet ride over trail chatter but yet still very supportive and connected feeling.

This bike is amazing with the right setup. I am going to change the wheelset and tires next and it should be even better.

The stock 9.5 fork is worth ~300 so the total net cost for the mega fork upgrade came out to only ~400. You can probably get around 600-800 for your Charger 3 fork right now since its new so there are plenty of low net cost upgrade options.

Last edited:

DugT

Sep 4, 2022
Truckee, CA
Bontrager that came on it was horrendous as front tire, acceptable for a rear.

A decent tire is going to help you get better at cornering faster over time. For braking it's obviously essential.

WT are fine for 30-35mm (and that is stated by Maxxis). I've used them on 30mm for years now. I love the Assegai myself here in dry dusty Queensland. I guess it might not be the best in wetter places, though I'm sure it still holds its own. Get a 3C tire for the front if not both ends. You could always burn the Bontragers on the back, but I'd rather some more rear braking grip.

I have a 29x2.5 Assegai Max Terra on the front of my 9.8XT carbon rim, and it's exceptional, probably the single best upgrade you can do for the stock bike :)
I got a 2.5 Assegai MaxxGrip DD for the front of my 9.8XT and it is a big improvement. MaxxGrip might be overkill and it will wear faster than a MaxxTerra but my front tires last a long time and I was curious what it would feel like. Now I really notice how much less grip the rear Bontrager tire provides. It isn't a problem but I'd prefer more grip. Maybe I will get a DHRII for the rear.

The Assegai was very difficult to install. It seems the center nipple groove in the Bontrager rims is too narrow to fit the beads of both sides of the tire. I gave up trying to install it and brought to a shop which wrestled with it for about 15 minutes before getting it installed. It is quite wobbly now so I will exchange it. Apparently that has been a problem for a couple of years. I blame Covid or Peyronies disease.

Oldhack79

Aug 30, 2022
Perth, Western Australia
T
Bike has 205 x 60 in it. Fox lists a 205 x 62.5. Leads one to believe that a 2.5mm spacer is in the 60 that could be removed. So stock travel is 140/60=2.33 leverage ratio. 2.5mm x 2.33= 5.82mm of increased travel or 146 give or take?

Maybe there is another 2.5mm spacer in there?

his is great, thanks 🙏🏻
Have you given it a go yet?

JP-NZ

E*POWAH Elite
Feb 17, 2022
Christchurch - New Zealand
For dry dusty conditions (same as we have here in summer) if you think a Maxx Terra is good, try a Maxx Grip. Then you'll know real cornering ability. The two tyres are night and day IMHO

Zed

Feb 26, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
For dry dusty conditions (same as we have here in summer) if you think a Maxx Terra is good, try a Maxx Grip. Then you'll know real cornering ability. The two tyres are night and day IMHO
Yeah I have in the past but the rolling resistance & weight wasn't worth the increase in grip, I guess because mostly where I'm struggling for grip is because it's a few inches of loose and gravel, I don't think it's worth it... It has been a while though... But I'm resistant to growing a pile of tires in the garage again :) The MT Assegai is plenty for my trails.

JP-NZ

E*POWAH Elite
Feb 17, 2022
Yeah I have in the past but the rolling resistance & weight wasn't worth the increase in grip, I guess because mostly where I'm struggling for grip is because it's a few inches of loose and gravel, I don't think it's worth it... It has been a while though... But I'm resistant to growing a pile of tires in the garage again :) The MT Assegai is plenty for my trails.
Fair enough weight wise both in Exo+ the weight difference is only 85 grams. I do agree there is a penalty in RR but thats why we all ride electric right :LOL:

Zed

Feb 26, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
I did say both are available in EXO+ your comparing double down vs EXO+ so of course its going to weigh more.

Fair call on the MT, ride at your limits and you'll be fine.
Interesting, that changes things. I've never come across a non-DD MaxxGrip here, I'll see if I can find one next time I need one.

Do you have a link to somewhere selling them in NZ?

Last edited:

JP-NZ

E*POWAH Elite
Feb 17, 2022
Interesting, that changes things. I've never come across a non-DD MaxxGrip here, I'll see if I can find one next time I need one.

Do you have a link to somewhere selling them in NZ?

Top model above link. sorry about the price!! 29 x 2.50 WT 3C/Exo+/TR Maxx Grip Fold ($149.90)

Just reading further up on your thoughts, glad your liking the Line elite wheels, life time warranty & carbon care. Apparently they are the strongest wheels they have ever tested (including all the main competitors) The reviews for them are stellar too and they are not that expensive for carbon rims

Reactions: Zed

Oldhack79

Aug 30, 2022
Perth, Western Australia
I have the 9.8XT and am sticking with the stock suspension at least until I get bored much later on :)

The new Charger 3 I find harsher compared to the older plush 2.1 Lyrik and I was disappointed at first. It feels more like Fox suspension to me. It has no tokens by default so the air spring is obviously a lot more progressive out of the box. It's very sensitive to damper settings and sag, small tweaks do a lot, so there's fiddling to be done. I'm getting along with it now. It rides really surprisingly well through proper rough stuff but is not small bump friendly. At only (?) 150mm that seems OK. Part of the teething problems for me was probably coming from a 160mm heavy Orbea Wild with a Fox 38, this bike rattles me around more, and I had to learn to ride the better lines again. I'm liking the fork now and feel no urge to change it out. I'll probably up it to 160 when servicing time comes though TBH, because why not.

The rear is good. It felt a bit dead until I put a cushcore in the rear and so I could drop the pressure to something sensible down from the 32psi that somehow still got rim strikes. Now I've backed off the rebound damping and it's nice and poppy but still controlled. It feels like what I was really after with the lighter ebike. Probably still needs a token in there TBH, I'm not real light. It's funny I was avoiding cushcore on this bike thinking it would make the back end feel heavier and dead, but I don't notice the weight at all and the lower pressure of the tire along with damping changes means the suspension livened up. So I far prefer the ride with the cushcore in, while simultaneously not having to deal with pinch flats/rim strikes. The cushcore will stay.

I can vouch for the carbon rims too. I've had a few good smacks on the rim including a ride-ending pinch flat on a high speed trail and there isn't ANY mark at all on the rear rim, it's like it didn't happen. Wonderful, these hits would have dinged even good alloys for sure.

Overall this suspension setup I'd call a competent trail setup, it's not a monster truck like the bigger bikes IME, but can be pushed plenty with a little finesse. It does it's real job of keeping traction very well. More engaging to ride.

I would add, expect to be knocked around a bit more on this vs the Rail. You mention arm pain, well you'll be gripping the bars tighter on this versus the Rail for a given rough bit of trail at a given speed. I'm still running the standard grips, I got better ones on the way but I don't expect it will make a tonne of difference. The bike is a lot lighter and that does make a difference to how much gets transmitted to the rider, IMO. Like I said, this bike demands a bit more finesse in line choice, I like this personally.
Great feedback shared here. Thanks, I and I’m sure others got a lot out of it. Keen to understand what type of terrain you are riding it on? Would you consider it more ‘trail’ or ‘enduro’ as a general average?
Cheers 👍🏻

Moe Ped

Apr 19, 2020
Perth Australia
Great feedback shared here. Thanks, I and I’m sure others got a lot out of it. Keen to understand what type of terrain you are riding it on? Would you consider it more ‘trail’ or ‘enduro’ as a general average?
Cheers 👍🏻
I think you should consider this a trail bike its not an enduro in my view and does not ride like one.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles