Fuel EXe Official Trek Fuel EXe Megathread!

Cell4soul

E*POWAH Master
Jul 11, 2022
Mesa, AZ
Do you use some kind of protectiontape under the straps of the grey bag mounted in the front? I do have the same bag on another bike and with the standard protectiontape of EVOC I discovered many scratches.
I don’t have nothing to protect it from rubbing. I don’t really care either. I was going to Ride Wrap this bike, but decided it is a mountain bike, if It isn’t scratched, I probably am not using it right. I appreciate the heads up.

Last edited:

levity

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Founding Member
Feb 15, 2018
SoCal
My settings are as follows:

. . . Do you have any suggestions?
I like to set max assist to 300W at all three levels. That way the fractional assistance continues as I put in more effort at any level. Often this can reduce the need to switch to a higher assist level. Also, you don’t feel a “drop” in support as you exceed a preset limit. It’s not a good way to maximize range, but I’m generally just trying to maximize fun.

You might give it a try to see how you like it.

DugT

Sep 4, 2022
Truckee, CA
This is about my Trek Central phone app Motor Tuning settings. For Pedal Response, you can select within a range of Gradual to Quick for each Mode, Eco, Mid and High. I didn't notice much of a difference so I selected Quick for all three because I am impatient and why not. :)
All three default modes had more assistance than I like so I turned down the Max Power and the Assist for all three and I like it better this way. As it was, I would rarely use the High mode but now I have three useful modes.
Here are my Trek Power and Assistance Levels
ECOMIDHIGH
MAX Watts100170238
ASSIST6084118

For comparison, here are the default levels.
MAX100180300
ASSIST86112156
% Assist increase30%39%
This is my first ebike. Maybe I will prefer more aggressive settings if I get more power hungry.

DugT

Sep 4, 2022
Truckee, CA
Today I hosed mine off for the first time using a spray nozzle. It was easy to miss the display and the cable ports. It worked well.

prolix2

Aug 21, 2022
United States
Sorry to hear of issues. I’ll notify TQ of these comments. Seems some are having issues (where are you based in terms of Geography?)

My demo is running superb in this setup 👍

View attachment 98420
Regarding TQ motor grind growl, mine was getting worse and worse and more easily reproducible from 50 miles to 70 miles, but I still had a hard time reproducing it at the local bike shop, and getting them to reproduce it before taking it in. I was fairly certain from other posts that it would need a motor change-out because I thought it was pretty mechanical issue, maybe the sprag gear, as somebody mentioned, not completely disengaging. Or maybe some production part out of tolerance. The shop said they did some software updates, and said something about finding that something, similar to the chain ring, but not the chainring , which was supposed to be torqued to 60, that they found was only torqued to 30. Apparently there are more than one service bulletin, that the shop first told me about. After their service they were not able to reproduce the problem, just now in a parking lot outside the shop I was not able to reproduce it either so maybe it's fixed. I don't know, maybe they don't know either, whether it was the software stuff they did or the retorquing that has worked. I guess it's possible that the software does control the sprag gear or freewheeling mechanism engagement and disengagement ? The shop also said that Trek recommended that after 150 miles the motor would get quieter. My guess is that that is a confused statement, somebody's hearing the actual quiet sound of the motor and complaining about it and Trek says just to wait. I don't think that would be true of the kind of sound that I was getting. My type of sound can be found in two or three videos on YouTube searching for 'Trek TQmotor grind noise". I have a specialized turbo levo SL, a trek rail ,and also now this fuel EXE, and the EXE is wonderful ! ( assuming it's back to its silent condition). ( there is something that looks to me like a metal sprag gear in the exploded view of the motor)... im sorry , it's called sprag clutch. On the exploded view the smaller metallic gear on the far right looks to me like a sprag clutch component that might account for the rattling grinding sound if it's not disengaged.

Nato

Jan 10, 2020
Australia
Went out for a 40km ride this morning after fitting the new 2.4 tyres. I’ve never used Vittoria tyres before and I have to say I was very impressed with them, the bike also rides much better with 2.4‘s over the stack 2.6’s
DE0CFAED-C7BA-4AE1-B1F9-39C991B6E7ED.jpeg

D2E0BB12-445E-42FC-B987-33A063ED6CCC.jpeg

DugT

Sep 4, 2022
Truckee, CA
I like to set max assist to 300W at all three levels. That way the fractional assistance continues as I put in more effort at any level. Often this can reduce the need to switch to a higher assist level. Also, you don’t feel a “drop” in support as you exceed a preset limit. It’s not a good way to maximize range, but I’m generally just trying to maximize fun.

You might give it a try to see how you like it.
I suspect you set your MAX Wattage at 300W on all three levels, not Max Assist. For each mode (ECON, MID HIGH) you can set the Assist as a percentage of your wattage output and you can set the Max Wattage available to each mode. To be clear, the Assist setting is a percentage of your output, not a percentage of your MAX Wattage setting. What percentage assist did you set at each level? I think that can make a bigger difference than the MAX Wattage settings.

For example, say your ECON Mode MAX Watts is set to 300W and your assist is set to 50%. If your legs can output 200W into the pedals, the max assist you will get from the motor is 100W. If your Assist is set to 100%, then you could get 200W assist from the motor. That is my understanding of how it works but I could be wrong. Please feel free to correct me.
On my bikes High mode, set to 170W max and Assist set to 84%, it is almost always too easy to pedal. If the Assist was set to 200% and Max Watts to 300W, I would be going too fast with just a little pressure on the pedals. It would be more like riding a motorcycle.

Last edited:

DugT

Sep 4, 2022
Truckee, CA
Regarding TQ motor grind growl, mine was getting worse and worse and more easily reproducible from 50 miles to 70 miles, but I still had a hard time reproducing it at the local bike shop, and getting them to reproduce it before taking it in. I was fairly certain from other posts that it would need a motor change-out because I thought it was pretty mechanical issue, maybe the sprag gear, as somebody mentioned, not completely disengaging. Or maybe some production part out of tolerance. The shop said they did some software updates, and said something about finding that something, similar to the chain ring, but not the chainring , which was supposed to be torqued to 60, that they found was only torqued to 30. Apparently there are more than one service bulletin, that the shop first told me about. After their service they were not able to reproduce the problem, just now in a parking lot outside the shop I was not able to reproduce it either so maybe it's fixed. I don't know, maybe they don't know either, whether it was the software stuff they did or the retorquing that has worked. I guess it's possible that the software does control the sprag gear or freewheeling mechanism engagement and disengagement ? The shop also said that Trek recommended that after 150 miles the motor would get quieter. My guess is that that is a confused statement, somebody's hearing the actual quiet sound of the motor and complaining about it and Trek says just to wait. I don't think that would be true of the kind of sound that I was getting. My type of sound can be found in two or three videos on YouTube searching for 'Trek TQmotor grind noise". I have a specialized turbo levo SL, a trek rail ,and also now this fuel EXE, and the EXE is wonderful ! ( assuming it's back to its silent condition). ( there is something that looks to me like a metal sprag gear in the exploded view of the motor)... im sorry , it's called sprag clutch. On the exploded view the smaller metallic gear on the far right looks to me like a sprag clutch component that might account for the rattling grinding sound if it's not disengaged.

They tightened the Lockring from 30Nm, which was the old spec, to 50Nm, which is the new spec, and that probably solved the problem. It is that simple.

Last edited:

Oldhack79

Aug 30, 2022
Perth, Western Australia
You will love it, easily the best bike i have owned as a package, I have not yet found a situation where i cant ride somthing i could on my full power ebike, just a bit more effort which is satisfying.

I am in Perth there appears to be quite a few Aussies have got these now it really does everything really well..
I am in Perth too and seriously considering this bike. Can I ask where you ride it? We do a fair bit of gravity riding and racing. Keen to hear how it handles places like: Goat Farm, Dwellingup, the more gravity stuff at Kalamunda etc etc. Wondering if the EXE is up to it? I have a Fox factory 38 I could throw at it with 160mm travel and would look at a coil rear and try to get maybe 150mm in the rear. Assuming it won’t create a warranty issue down the track.

Hitorogoshi

May 19, 2020
South Africa
They tightened the Lockring from 30Nm, which was the old speck, to 50Nm, which is the new spec, and that probably solved the problem. It is that simple.
Mine has developed a ton of chainring creak and it does make it seem like the motor is grinding. Got it booked in next week to get torqued up

Moe Ped

Apr 19, 2020
Perth Australia
I am in Perth too and seriously considering this bike. Can I ask where you ride it? We do a fair bit of gravity riding and racing. Keen to hear how it handles places like: Goat Farm, Dwellingup, the more gravity stuff at Kalamunda etc etc. Wondering if the EXE is up to it? I have a Fox factory 38 I could throw at it with 160mm travel and would look at a coil rear and try to get maybe 150mm in the rear. Assuming it won’t create a warranty issue down the track.
It’s fine the standard travel is ok for most of the trails in Perth, power wise it feels fine better than my SL but nowhere near a Full Ebike.

If you buy from an official Trek store you get a 30 day return period to try the bike, Trek Myaree ask for Connor he is the manager.

Oldhack79

Aug 30, 2022
Perth, Western Australia
170mm Ohlins Fork, 150mm Ohlins Coil, DD DHR2

19.28 KG.

View attachment 97960

View attachment 97961

View attachment 97962
Hi @Rob Rides EMTB . Any chance you can share the rear shock spec from this build? Watching the video it is the same length eye to eye but with longer stroke?

prolix2

Aug 21, 2022
United States
They tightened the Lockring from 30Nm, which was the old spec, to 50Nm, which is the new spec, and that probably solved the problem. It is that simple.
Yes, it was a lock ring. That’s the word they said. Thanks. Now I’m gonna have to look up what a lock ring is in that application

danf72

Jun 18, 2020
Berkshire
Finished my Build, pretty much same as my old SL

Fox 38 160mm
Fox x2 140mm
XO1 AXS
AXS dropper
ENVE M7

How you finding the sizing? I’m currently riding a Levo SL in large which I find a little small. I’ve ordered a large Trek hoping its a little bigger, mostly more reach. I’m 6’1’’ for reference.

dannyb

Oct 6, 2022
Calabasas, CA
Hey guys,

I just got an ExE 9.5 and immediately changed the fork to a Fox 36 Performance Elite with PUSH ACS3 coil conversion (off Pinkbike).

This bike is amazing! I have already taken trails that were too much for my 2019 Stumpjumper Comp Carbon. And the technical climbing is just superb. This thing is a beast. Easy to load on my roof rack too. Couldn't be happier with the purchase.

izzymtb

Sep 1, 2022
SoCal
Did a ride at Fullerton loop here in SoCal. 65% left from full charge using mixed settings using stock presets.
12 years ago it takes me 2:30 hrs to finish on a regular bike because of my health issues. With the EXe it allows me to keep up with my friends and enjoy it instead of stressing my body. So far no issues, bike is smooth. Hopefully it stays that way.

CD4C4EA0-D120-487E-9E6C-B28586B4F3FC.png 357949A1-640E-4F49-9199-D85BF4ABC886.png

Xinto

Jun 21, 2022
Finland
Seems like Trek already increasing prices. 500€ increase on their website and the bikes haven't even arrived to the shops here...

prolix2

Aug 21, 2022
United States
Read post #287 in this thread. You might want to read the whole thread.
Apologize for my mistaken message. I had just tried the bike out in the parking lot. Getting back on the trail today the grinders is bad as ever. A lot of back-and-forth with the between Trek and the local bike shop. Currently no hope of making it right.. Since it’s so difficult to reproduce I think I’m fine I was just being overly sensitive to something that it within the range of a normal Sound. Trek also tells a local bike shop that it takes 150 miles for the sensors to accomplish all their recalibrations. Are. I will try to attach a short video and see what you think if the sound is acceptable

prolix2

Aug 21, 2022
United States
Apologize for my mistaken message. I had just tried the bike out in the parking lot. Getting back on the trail today the grinders is bad as ever. A lot of back-and-forth with the between Trek and the local bike shop. Currently no hope of making it right.. Since it’s so difficult to reproduce I think I’m fine I was just being overly sensitive to something that it within the range of a normal Sound. Trek also tells a local bike shop that it takes 150 miles for the sensors to accomplish all their recalibrations. Are. I will try to attach a short video and see what you think if the sound is acceptable
Well, I can’t attach that video, but if you look on YouTube and search under “trek TQ motor grind noise “. The one by Richard Bagby is mine

Last edited by a moderator:

DugT

Sep 4, 2022
Truckee, CA
Well, I can’t attach that video, but if you look on YouTube and search under “trek TQ motor grind noise “. The one by Richard Bagby is mine
I listened to the video and the grinding does sound annoying. Does it make the grinding noise when you are coasting too? I think I could hear the grinding when I could also hear the cassette spin.
It is odd that the noise is so conspicuous in the video but was quiet or unnoticeable at the shop. I added your noise video.

noise video

TheRed

Oct 6, 2022
Midlands, UK
Seems like Trek already increasing prices. 500€ increase on their website and the bikes haven't even arrived to the shops here...
Trek have applied a 5% increase across the board, anything invoiced to the dealer before today should be at the lower price.

prolix2

Aug 21, 2022
United States
I listened to the video and the grinding does sound annoying. Does it make the grinding noise when you are coasting too? I think I could hear the grinding when I could also hear the cassette spin.
It is odd that the noise is so conspicuous in the video but was quiet or unnoticeable at the shop. I added your noise video.

noise video
Thanks a lot for the video. The quieter sound on the video is the bass motor and cassette. The clattering sound is what I’m calling the grind sound. It occurs when paddling at a fairly high rate, but not yet reaching the speed of the coasting bike. I.e. if you were coasting downhill slightly, and coming to a slight rise, you might shift down a couple of gears, but when peddling without resistance at a fairly high cadence to catch up with the actual speed of the bike, especially when starting uphill, and just as, or just before, The crank meets some resistance of the slowing bike the grinding occurs. It goes away as you apply more torque to the motor and as the motor itself kicks in and starts working itself. In order to reproduce it continuously I need to have the slight uphill grade and applying very little torque and a fairly high cadence. It does occur reliably on the trail every time I’m starting an uphill climb with high cadence and before really applying torque. Therefore usually only lasts a second or two. But on our swoopy trails ir therefore occurs every 10 or 20 seconds

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles