Levo Gen 3 Official Specialized Gen 3 2022 Levo Megathread!

etoni

E*POWAH Elite
Sep 3, 2018
Thun Switzerland
What is the change in handing that you notice? I have the opportunity to buy a 500wh battery but got cold feet when everything I read leant towards it not making much of a difference so I'm interested to hear.

Interested to see how it performs, I might buy one too, you bought just one right?
no 400$ .. this levo is from a user review link: 2022+ Turbo Levo - Official Specialized Gen 3 2022 Levo Megathread!

Unbenannt.JPG

but i found out that the downhill ride is nicer to ride with higher stem/bar rise. i ride 38 deity + with 4x spacer under.

Last edited:

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Fort William
Decent deal then?
I’d say it’s fairly decent. One of my mates recently sold his for £6500 it was stock but was still on the original motor with 650 miles on it. I’ve been kind of shopping for something new myself, the new Orbea wild is on my list as well as the Pole Vioma.

thewanted

Apr 2, 2023
UK
I’d say it’s fairly decent. One of my mates recently sold his for £6500 it was stock but was still on the original motor with 650 miles on it. I’ve been kind of shopping for something new myself, the new Orbea wild is on my list as well as the Pole Vioma.

Cool, thanks :) A friend showed me the Vioma but it looks like too much bike for me.

Almost every review I've watched has said that the Levo's stock brakes are insufficient, so it's a bonus that they've been upgraded already. I would have switched out the stock tyres too, albeit not for Schwalbes because I've only ever used Maxxis.

I have no idea what difference that MRP cartridge makes for the Fox 38s, but I'd imagine that it offers some sort of improvement.

If you are going to order an Orbea Wild, Cycle Gear is the only place I've found that's offering a discount on them. Use the "SPRING10" code.

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Fort William
Cool, thanks :) A friend showed me the Vioma but it looks like too much bike for me.

Almost every review I've watched has said that the Levo's stock brakes are insufficient, so it's a bonus that they've been upgraded already. I would have switched out the stock tyres too, albeit not for Schwalbes because I've only ever used Maxxis.

I have no idea what difference that MRP cartridge makes for the Fox 38s, but I'd imagine that it offers some sort of improvement.

If you are going to order an Orbea Wild, Cycle Gear is the only place I've found that's offering a discount on them. Use the "SPRING10" code.
The MRP cartridge is like having adjustable tokens in the fork, you just add/remove air in place of the tokens. The 38 has been the harshest fork I’ve used and it took a lot of time to get it set up properly, that included having to have the brand new fork serviced.

I’m leaning towards the Pole because I can get it as a frame only option, something a lot more companies should start doing IMO. I have to sell my amish bikes first though or my wife will divorce me🤣😂

thewanted

Apr 2, 2023
UK
The MRP cartridge is like having adjustable tokens in the fork, you just add/remove air in place of the tokens. The 38 has been the harshest fork I’ve used and it took a lot of time to get it set up properly, that included having to have the brand new fork serviced.

I’m leaning towards the Pole because I can get it as a frame only option, something a lot more companies should start doing IMO. I have to sell my amish bikes first though or my wife will divorce me🤣😂

Ahh, thanks! I'm surprised in a way to hear that the Fox 38 is harsh, because I hired a Whyte E-160 RSX at the Forest of Dean 2 weeks ago that had a "Fox Float 38, Performance Elite 29", 160mm Travel" and it was by far the nicest suspension setup I've ever felt. I'll admit though that I've been riding the same bike for 8 years and haven't had a lot of exposure to other bikes in that time.

I'm getting married next week and I'm quickly heading towards a divorce already by looking at e-bikes this week 🙈

Rich-H

Apr 3, 2023
Hampshire
What is the change in handing that you notice? I have the opportunity to buy a 500wh battery but got cold feet when everything I read leant towards it not making much of a difference so I'm interested to hear.
It's probably not worth purchasing a 500wh battery for the weight saving alone. If you want/need an additional battery and you know that some of your rides only require a smaller battery, then you can benefit from a slightly more agile bike that is marginally easier to manhandle. I tend to balance usage across both 700 and 500 batteries, grabbing the appropriate battery for the ride I'm about to do. I then also have the benefit of a couple of batterers for bike parks usage etc., allowing me to run one in the morning and the other in the afternoon for example.

Haveland

Apr 21, 2022
New Brunswick, Canada
Regarding SRAM transmission, can the derailleur be powered by the traction battery?
Other brands do, but Specialized still uses the battery on the models with the SRAM AXS, which is the same battery as the transmission. Not saying you can't hack it in, or Specialized will not power it in the future, just today, it doesn't look like they do. Before someone jumps over me and says yeah stupid, they don't have the transmission on any bikes yet, it is the same battery as the AXS remember.

ruppia

Dec 14, 2020
Italy
At page 9 from the user manual, ther is something about a SRAM Extension Cord.
It can be connected to the bike ?

Attachments

• eagle-transmission-user-manual-standard_17_04_2023 13_55_19_8405.pdf
    378.8 KB · Views: 190

BruceJR

Jun 16, 2022
USA West
At page 9 from the user manual, ther is something about a SRAM Extension Cord.
It can be connected to the bike ?
I cannot find any information about this “extension cord” part online. Very curious to know more about this.

I’d defiantly NOT convert to using this cable for daily usage as the rechargeable batteries are very easy and even though I have run out of juice more more than once it defeats a good deal of the purpose to have a wireless mech by adding a wire.

Very likely this cable would also require some sort of hub like the blip box or at the very least and voltage inverter. Seems like a lot of trouble for a small problem that is easily solved by carrying a space battery.

BruceJR

Jun 16, 2022
USA West
There was some discussion in the Transmission thread a while ago.

Hmm…not a lot of actual data there. It’s so new. I guess we will see. It sounds like some bikes might support this in a more integrated way. If it was anything like wiring a light to the Brose motor I certainly would not opt for that.

beutelfuchs

Aug 11, 2019
Barcelona
I will probably need to ask the shop to install it as I even miss the tool to remove the bearing which is still in the shock eye.
But have the little think alreeady on my other shocks.

Reactions: trx

LeeG

Aug 31, 2022
Scotland
Anyone had any experience with a 'bird chirping' noise coming from the motor area when stopped? The noise may have been there whilst pedalling too but I'm unsure. The same chirping noise (like a solenoid firing) was also heard with the bike switched off in the car on the way home.

Ta

BikingBad

Sep 6, 2022
USA
Bought new a month ago, ridden 4 times on trail. Amazing Bike!
Took it out for a lap around the neighborhood today and noticed this “click“ noise coming from motor every time stop pedaling. More noticeable at lower cadence. I assume this is when the motor disengages? I’ve noticed this on my KSL as well. On KSL it’s much less noticeable, quieter click with much less vibration through cranks. Is this normal for Levo?

Specialized Turbo Levo Gen 3 - strange “click” noise from motor | #shorts

Last edited:

Bearing Man

Ebike Motor Centre
Patreon
Sep 29, 2018
UK
have exactly the same noise. My levo is new, believe it is sparg clutch disengage or so.
@Bearing Man : any comments?
Listening and watching @BikingBad video, although almost impossible to see, the noise presents itself when the chain stops turning rather than when the crank stops turning. This means that the click happens when the motor stops driving, not when the rider stops pedalling. This rules out crank play or crankshaft sprag bearing. Unfortunately, it leaves everything else in play. It's not a noise I am currently familiar with, I don't think it's a sprag bearing. Almost sounds like a loose belt tensioner, but I doubt that's the case. Need to get my hands on one to see whats going on?

Janisj

Aug 27, 2022
Germany
Fully correct, the click noise is coming after motor short overrun, in a moment motor stops driving. It is rather silent click, and you hear it only in silent place. If i turn and stop cranks by bike turned around (on saddle and stirring bar, no load on motor) then i hear nothing. The click is the same for Eco or Turbo setting

Mind

Oct 12, 2022
France
Fully correct, the click noise is coming after motor short overrun, in a moment motor stops driving. It is rather silent click, and you hear it only in silent place. If i turn and stop cranks by bike turned around (on saddle and stirring bar, no load on motor) then i hear nothing. The click is the same for Eco or Turbo setting
Hello,
Had the same "Click" noise when i was squating the bike after a quick crank rotation. Very similar of what u described here. You can see my post and the resolution here : 2022+ Turbo Levo - Turbo Levo Gen3 Sprag bearing/clutch failure - FIXED
The problem and sound was very similar to this : Specialized Turbo Levo Gen 3 - strange “click” noise from motor | Is this normal? | #shorts

Last edited:

Janisj

Aug 27, 2022
Germany
There are 2 possibilities:
a)This clicking noise is technically OK and loudness depends on xyz
b) There is happening a malfunction - highly probably engine sprag bearing. Other metallic "click" sources i can hardly imagine.

As this noise is not hearable on a regular trail driving situation, and we have several cases from brand new bikes, i could imagine there are many with this noise without knowing and it is ok by design. I hear it only by slow driving on my tarred yard. I also can hardly believe that sprag bearing dies so quickly. Without it the bike drives perfectly and is dead silent.

If the belt tensioner would be broken, then i would await a metallic click by motor start, not by stop.

infyrana

Mar 28, 2023
UK
*edit* In line with an earlier post (I should have read first! :) ):

Still very new with my Turbo Levo Comp Alloy (barely had chance to ride it), but I'm finding it has a high pitched buzz noise every-so-often. Kinda like when you get a small twig caught in your spokes. It isn't consistent and I've not had the chance to ride it enough to spot when it happens (ie certain cadence/gear/speed).

The only similar sound I can find in online videos is a short clip from @BikingBad who has a "strange 'click' noise" The sound is similar, but rather than a single click 'twang', I get the high pitched buzz version until I change up however I'm pedalling.

Any thoughts most welcome please *I'll read the rest of the replies now I've edited this post*

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles