Levo Gen 3 Official Specialized Gen 3 2022 Levo Megathread!

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
No luck getting the update to download on the Levo. Constantly fails between 4-26% during the update connection module phase. I tried deleting and reinstalling the app. No improvement. Any ideas?

Edit: Spoke to Specialized Rider Care this morning. They're seeing a history of errors between the TCU and motor in the log, so it sounds like a bad TCU. Seriously a bummer. I was having problems with the remote on this bike as well and had to swap that out. However Specialized implemented their CANbus, it seems the hardware isn't very robust at all.
Do you have a Garmin or anything else paired? I had the exact issue but as soon as I removed my Garmin as a sensor it worked.

Gyre

Jan 25, 2021
Pasadena, CA
Do you have a Garmin or anything else paired? I had the exact issue but as soon as I removed my Garmin as a sensor it worked.
Wow, it worked! I would never have guessed at such an odd solution. Many thanks Rob!

FWIW, I updated a KSL and a Levo. The KSL had a Varia paired up, and the Levo had an HR sensor, Varia, and AXS paired up to it. None of these things were active at any time during any of the updates.

The KSL updated on the first try with no issue (apparently the Varia pairing was no problem).

I deleted all the pairings off the Levo and *now* the update went very fast and smooth. It dropped a new CANbus fault in the process, but maybe it's a quirk of the update. Going to have to re-pair the sensors now and that's kind of silly, but at least it worked.

It sounds like the TCU is trying to tell its Bluetooth chip to reserve multiplex time for the Mission Control app and each paired sensor, but somehow it just wasn't implemented correctly. I've been having some issues with Mission Control being kind of flaky on the Levo in general (not taking changes or new presets reliably), so perhaps this is connected. Now I want to know what was in that "Communication Module Update" to see if this update includes a fix.

Last edited:

brigcampbell

May 30, 2022
SoCal
Houston, we have a problem

Cracked charge port door hinge.

Time to visit the specialized store.

Gorilla tape should keep it from falling off.
20220721_161034.jpg

Frank_Denmark

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Dec 17, 2018
Denmark
Houston, we have a problem

Cracked charge port door hinge.

Time to visit the specialized store.

Gorilla tape should keep it from falling off.
My port fell of 9 month ago - have ridden without it in any kind of weather
There is still double sealing at the plug - so no water ingress at all

Have also been riding without the chain guide for 900 miles with no drop of the chain :cool:

SD_Levo

Jul 21, 2022
San Diego, CA
Does anyone else’s bike feel sluggish after the update? Trail now feels like echo and turbo like trail. I loved the way the default tune felt before but now I’m thinking I might need to tune.

I've been holding off on pulling the trigger on 8.1.5 until there is more feedback....good to know! Did you by chance have your tune settings tweaked before the update and then maybe the update returned everything to default?

brigcampbell

May 30, 2022
SoCal
I've been holding off on pulling the trigger on 8.1.5 until there is more feedback....good to know! Did you by chance have your tune settings tweaked before the update and then maybe the update returned everything to default?

I can confirm the motor update does not change the tune setting.

I run a custom setting, 35/100 50/100 80/100, and it was still the active mode after the update.

CampingfamCO

May 23, 2022
Colorado
I was using the default settings from the factory. Is it possible the new app changed the default tune settings? I used 20% more power, while it says I used 70% more assistance. I can say I came back exhausted and hills I was able to climb with out stopping I had to take a break on.

CampingfamCO

May 23, 2022
Colorado
Is it possible because it's so hot out the motor could be reducing it's power? I just went and clicked on default tune and it appears to have that kick again. With that being said, after riding for a little bit it seemed to loose it in trail mode again. I guess I'll ride tomorrow morning when it's cool outside to see if there is a difference.

CampingfamCO

May 23, 2022
Colorado
Just went for a ride this morning. The entire ride felt normal like it did before I did the firmware upgrade until about the last 2 miles. I am wondering if something else is going on. I should have stated before I did the firmware upgrade I did my normal bike wash. Last night I verified my speed sensor was clean. I'm starting to wonder if it's possible I have something going on with my front axle, brake, hub. At speed I hear the brake making a ping sound. To replicate it you can flick your front brake and it will make a metallic noise. When I pickup the front wheel and spin it, from what I can tell it's spinning freely.

I'm going to take apart the front axle and wipe off the current grease and apply new grease. I'll also double check I don't have any brake rub. I couldn't see anything but something is not aligned properly. I'm wondering if when I start to go faster, things heat up, and something is coming out of alignment causing drag and for me to have to peddle a lot harder.

maramouse

Mar 24, 2018
Genoa Italy
Hello everyone, last week, I updated mission control with new firmware, everything ok, today I turn on mission control and I find a message of new firmware available but to go to a specialized service center, has it happened to others? probable bug?

brigcampbell

May 30, 2022
SoCal
Hello everyone, last week, I updated mission control with new firmware, everything ok, today I turn on mission control and I find a message of new firmware available but to go to a specialized service center, has it happened to others? probable bug?

Bug. Happened to me two weeks ago. Closed MC and turned off the bike. Powered up bike and started MC and it was gone.

Some have needed to delete the mission control app and reinstall and pair the bike again.

Redders473

Jul 30, 2020
Leeds
Anyone the bolt size for the seat clamp mines starting to round off and i want to order a a stronger bolt but i don't know thread size

flash

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
Have upgraded both my 2023 Levo's. Expert and Pro. (don't ask! :) ) and now have an error on both. Both report a motor connection error. Bikes both seem fine (in my driveway at least). But I'm still wondering if i have an issue or there's a glitch in the upgrade process that triggers it.

IMG_1458.PNG

Gordon

comegente

Jul 28, 2018
Aachen, Germany
Have upgraded both my 2023 Levo's. Expert and Pro. (don't ask! :) ) and now have an error on both. Both report a motor connection error. Bikes both seem fine (in my driveway at least). But I'm still wondering if i have an issue or there's a glitch in the upgrade process that triggers it.

Had the same issue with my 2022 Comp Carbon. After deleting and reinstalling mission control app error report is gone. The bike is running fine. Don’t worry.

Jamsxr

E*POWAH Master
Mar 30, 2019
Surrey
2022 comp owner here.

I’ve upgraded the brakes to MT7 Pros but I’m still not totally happy with the stopping power…

Looking at new rotors, any recommendations? These are top of my list.

maramouse

Mar 24, 2018
Genoa Italy
2022 comp owner here.

I’ve upgraded the brakes to MT7 Pros but I’m still not totally happy with the stopping power…

Looking at new rotors, any recommendations? These are top of my list.

Hi, they are good rotors but they do not change your life, the classic storm hc are the most used solution and I recommend them too

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles