Levo Gen 3 Official Specialized Gen 3 2022 Levo Megathread!

Jamo

Jul 25, 2020
Fife
Hi

my first post in the specialized section of the forum as i’ve just bought a 2022 levo (S5 S works).
Curious what people have done for frame protection. Normally i’d go straight to invisiframe but the frame already has some matt vinyl fitted from factory in the highest wear areas (seat stay bridge, chain stay bridges and underside down tube).

if i buy the invisiframe kit does it fit around the factory fitted stuff? It wont be a great fit if it overlaps….

cheers

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
I’ve always ran ride wrap straight over the factory protection with no issues. I’d rather too much protection than not enough

Kiwi in Wales

Short cranks rule!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
Well ... the inevitable happened. My charger flap thing took off on the breeze the other day. I'm loving the bike overall, and there's not much I'd change, but the charger flap really is a shonky bit of design. No idea how this made it through R&D / testing etc

I ride is West Wales mostly, with plenty of mud and crud so don't want to leave this area uncovered - have gone for the Gorilla tape 'fix' for now.

Interested to hear if anyone's found a workaround / way of improving this, or is the only option is to order another battery bash guard (with the same sh1tty flap) through my LBS?

There were some rumours knocking around that Spesh were working on a fix for this - anyone heard anything more concrete on this?

Thanks for any advice / thoughts
@Specialized Rider Care are you able to respond?
I hope you are working on a fix for this?
I 100% agree with @Zoot Allures, how did this ever get past your design team? This particular component should never have been approved to go into production. Now I physically have one in my possession I can see it is on borrowed time. Every single time you open up this door it will weaken the very thin material that is being used as a hinge. The hinge design reminds me of the plastic ‘flip top‘ you get on a bottle of Shampoo or Ketchup . I really can’t see this lasting very long at all.

The good news is all the other ‘fixes’ appear to be okay but I guess only time will tell.

Last edited:

ruppia

Dec 14, 2020
Italy
It's absolutely true, they must design a new parts and give it to the customer as free part of recall program

Renton

Aug 4, 2021
Droitwich
Hi guys, Considering a new expert model here in the UK and just wanted to find out what sort of finish the red is on the expert model?
Is it an anodised or painted finish?

Also sizing wise.... Im just a smidge under 6 foot 1 and was looking at a S5 size bike. Compared to my last bike the the reach is slightly longer 485 x 502 but Im unsure what the ETT is as thats not listed on the geo chart?

What size are you all riding??

Hob Nob

Jun 4, 2020
UK
Hi guys, Considering a new expert model here in the UK and just wanted to find out what sort of finish the red is on the expert model?
Is it an anodised or painted finish?

Also sizing wise.... Im just a smidge under 6 foot 1 and was looking at a S5 size bike. Compared to my last bike the the reach is slightly longer 485 x 502 but Im unsure what the ETT is as thats not listed on the geo chart?

What size are you all riding??

It's a satin paint finish.

I'm taller than you (just) and I ride an S4.

I'm on the cusp of an S4/S5, but would always size down on an ebike. I'm not a evangelist of long bikes anyway, having down a reasonable amount of testing & timing - anything above ~490mm reach starts to make me slower so the S5 was an obvious no for me.

The increase in length of reach is to introduce more stability to a bike, which 'could' be more of an issue on a normal pedal bike, but with an ebike, the additional weight is providing that stability anyway, so no need to have such a big bike, which will be harder to move around.

There is a lot of longer bike 'noise' out there & I genuinely feel like we have reached a point where the average punter is riding a bike now that is too big for them. You can see it when watching them ride, and at races, fighting to get bikes round corners & through sections. Using people who get paid to ride as a reference, i've never seen someone jump on a 'big' bike and all of a sudden start smoking the rest of the field. If anything, using the EWS as an example, most of the quick guys are riding bikes that the average rider would consider to be too small for them, with a stem that's too long.

Renton

Aug 4, 2021
Droitwich
Its interesting as I sit bang in the middle of the S5 sizing on the size chart.

I had an xl Orbea wild and that had a reach of 485 but still felt incredibly short to me and I had to have the seat fully back on its rails.

The S5 Levo is only slightly larger which should be ideal hopefully.

Jamo

Jul 25, 2020
Fife
I used to agree with Hob Nobs views on this but having sat on the S5 at weekend that’s the one for me. I’m 6ft. I’ll ride it with 50mm stem and see how it goes (reach 497) may bring it back by 10mm in due course to 487 but nothing more dramatic than that.

Jersey Skier

May 12, 2019
NJ, USA
Does anybody know what size crank boots from Race Face or Sram will fit the new Praxis 160mm cranks? Mine have looked like this since about 300 miles, not many days to go before they fall off.

IMG_0560.jpg

killjoyken

Mar 10, 2019
San Jose, CA, USA
Does anybody know what size crank boots from Race Face or Sram will fit the new Praxis 160mm cranks? Mine have looked like this since about 300 miles, not many days to go before they fall off.

Are you checking for cracks after every ride? Little rubber boots can only do so much for carbon vs rocks. IMO, if you ride anywhere rocky and like technical climbs then risking carbon cranks to save 100 grams is crazy. I had an 2020 S-Works and after 2 good smacks I ordered a set of alloy cranks for $70. After a few local rides and a trip to Lake Tahoe they looked like this.

20210711_112328.jpg

Jersey Skier

May 12, 2019
NJ, USA
Are you checking for cracks after every ride? Little rubber boots can only do so much for carbon vs rocks. IMO, if you ride anywhere rocky and like technical climbs then risking carbon cranks to save 100 grams is crazy. I had an 2020 S-Works and after 2 good smacks I ordered a set of alloy cranks for $70. After a few local rides and a trip to Lake Tahoe they looked like this.

View attachment 73120

My last 4 or 5 bikes all had carbon cranks and never had an issue. We'll see how Praxis holds up.

Lightme

Subscriber
Jul 17, 2020
Sydney
It's absolutely true, they must design a new parts and give it to the customer as free part of recall program
My battery door in my Gen 3 Levo fell off after 1.5 weeks of riding. So shoddy. LBS aren’t even offering to replace under warranty. Very poor.

jaylkay

Hi all, sizing question here. I currently ride a medium Transition Spur - cracking bike, looking at a Levo. I’m 166 cm and sit plum in the middle of S2 sizing but can also fit an S3. I’d normally be a medium due to reach sizing but worried an S3 would be a handful given the heft and wheelbase (33mm more than Spur). Concern is S2 would be OK but I’d feel cramped vs S3 reach..wheelbase closer to Spur though so expect it to be easier to manoeuvre. Obviously want everything ….- good manoeuvrability, plough factor and good reach. Not sure I can achieve this? Thoughts appreciated. Cheers.

Dave_B

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
reading this thread has puts me off buying a gen 3. For the best part of £9k I can expect motor rattles and cheap plastic parts (in the area that is meant to be the most waterproof it has ever been). Not sure I want that type of ownership experience. The Levo SL still looks like the ebike with the least amount of issues. Why can't they get the Gen 3 trouble free?

Dave_B

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
2021-10-06_09-26-14.png

Do Spesh shim the seat post for the SW and Pro models? I guess the frame is exactly the same between each model and the seat post tube is 34.9mm?

James_MTB

Jan 15, 2018
reading this thread has puts me off buying a gen 3. For the best part of £9k I can expect motor rattles and cheap plastic parts (in the area that is meant to be the most waterproof it has ever been). Not sure I want that type of ownership experience. The Levo SL still looks like the ebike with the least amount of issues. Why can't they get the Gen 3 trouble free?
Haven't had any issues with mine :)

killjoyken

Mar 10, 2019
San Jose, CA, USA
No shim on S-Works. I really think there is a mistake on the specs
Previously i was on SL that have shim for 30,9 tube, but not on the Levo Gen3
Are you sure? S-Works have always been shimmed down to 30.9 and you can easily tell from the website pics. Also, the Pro comes with a Fox Transfer that isn't available in 34.9.

Barbs734

Aug 2, 2021
UK
Are you sure? S-Works have always been shimmed down to 30.9 and you can easily tell from the website pics. Also, the Pro comes with a Fox Transfer that isn't available in 34.9.

You are right, it is 34.9 and does come with a shim for smaller sizes.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
All the Shim and seat tube information was put in Post no 2 several months ago when the mods did one of the first thread cleans so the thread wouldn't be cluttered up with the same questions over and over and over and over and over and over ..

reading this thread
Do Spesh shim the seat post for the SW and Pro models?

and over and over ... :unsure: :)

Kiwi in Wales

Short cranks rule!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
Me too. My battery door is still on too and can't see any reason why it would fall off mid ride. I had no problems with the old design, but I ride in California, not the UK.
Next time you open the door to charge your battery have a look at how they have made the hinge for the door. The material is a very thin piece of folded plastic. As I said above, it reminds me of the plastic hinges you get on the ‘flip up‘ tops on bottles of shampoo and ketchup.
Maybe you have the ‘improved’ ‘fixed’ version on your bikes already?

Last edited:

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
There’s a search function (which autocorrected to death function for some reason) you know. 😜

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles