Fuel EXe Fuel EXe Suspension Modifications/Questions

volts

May 15, 2018
DK
Fuel EXE has 16% progressivity and with an extended stroke, the end stroke is completely linear in the added travel. Leverage ratio at the end of travel is 2.16 so you would add 10.8mm of travel when you extend stroke 5mm. A Cane Creek Valt progressive spring would be a great option for this frame.

View attachment 115270
Yep I was just speaking in general terms.
Not really sure a coil is a good option though. With a slightly digressive curve like that I feel that even a progressive coil isn't great. The bike feels great throughout the entire stroke for me with an air shock with max tokens in and HBO but I still bottom out hard sometimes. I wouldn't want to run this bike with a coil for that reason. Same reason the Rise feels bad with a coil, even with a progressive spring (for me).

Last edited:

jabar1975

Feb 16, 2023
Zurich
Yep I was just speaking in general terms.
Not really sure a coil is a good option though. With a slightly digressive curve like that I feel that even a progressive coil isn't great. The bike feels great throughout the entire stroke for me with an air shock with max tokens in and HBO but I still bottom out hard sometimes. I wouldn't want to run this bike with a coil for that reason. Same reason the Rise feels bad with a coil, even with a progressive spring (for me).

I am not aggressive rider, and sometimes bottom out with linear Ohlins spring, but the way how bike behaves is day and night to the air spring. I will try cane creek or mrp progressive spring. It is purely personal thing but I am 100% convinced I prefer no air in rear shock.

volts

May 15, 2018
DK
I am not aggressive rider, and sometimes bottom out with linear Ohlins spring, but the way how bike behaves is day and night to the air spring. I will try cane creek or mrp progressive spring. It is purely personal thing but I am 100% convinced I prefer no air in rear shock.
In the end, that's all that matters. If it's better for you then that's what you should run. I just added my own thoughts to the mix.

Also I guess the curse isn't digressive but just hanging, leaning more and more towards linier at the end.

Swingset

Sep 9, 2022
Southern Cal
I put a brand new Fox Factory Float X on a few months back. The first few rides I noticed that the air pressure was a bit lower than recommended and the the damping settings were too slow. Took it apart and the square ring on the OD of the piston was installed twisted. Popped it off and tried it thinking I might need to replace it if it didn't work. Haven't touched it since and the shock is working great.

Always wondered what the fubar rate is in a high volume factory is. Guess its greater than zero.

jabar1975

Feb 16, 2023
Zurich
Changed spring to progressive 400-488 from CaneCreek. Best combination I can imagine.
IMG_5773.jpg

Piccirilli

Jan 17, 2023
Asheville, NC
I am considering stroking my Exe to 62.5 or 65mm, but unsure if I have enough clearance for this. I have a medium frame and there is 11mm clearance left with stock shock bottomed out (no air). Since a few of you here posted good results doing this on a large frame, can someone with a large frame provide how much clearance they measure with stock shock bottomed out with or without stroke mod? I appreciate any feedback.

volts

May 15, 2018
DK
I am considering stroking my Exe to 62.5 or 65mm, but unsure if I have enough clearance for this. I have a medium frame and there is 11mm clearance left with stock shock bottomed out (no air). Since a few of you here posted good results doing this on a large frame, can someone with a large frame provide how much clearance they measure with stock shock bottomed out with or without stroke mod? I appreciate any feedback.
62.5 is ok ok low, 65 is not ok on low but might work in high. I use 62.5 because I want the option to use low setting.

Cell4soul

E*POWAH Master
Jul 11, 2022
Mesa, AZ

I'd like to follow up on this and include a question for those that have stroked to 65 mm. Have any of you had any issues with clearance? I am on a large frame. I see that several people have done this, but I haven't seen much of a report back. Thanks in advance.

volts

May 15, 2018
DK
I had the same thought. But after flipping links from low to high, it made no difference. Either link position measured 11 mm clearance.
Ok yeah makes sense. The shock is moved more than the wheel. I just tried once in the low, compressing the shock fully and determined it was a bad idea to run 65mm. Never tried high because I knew it would be trouble when I run it in low.

MikeP

Oct 31, 2022
West Berkshire
Ok yeah makes sense. The shock is moved more than the wheel. I just tried once in the low, compressing the shock fully and determined it was a bad idea to run 65mm. Never tried high because I knew it would be trouble when I run it in low.
Doesn't make sense to me... :unsure: Surely when the mino-link flips to high position it increases the gap between the seat tube and the seat stay bridge? Isn't that the concern people have with running a 65mm shock stroke - that these will smash together? @Piccirilli is this the 11mm gap you're talking about?
1687172618768.png

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Doesn't make sense to me... :unsure: Surely when the mino-link flips to high position it increases the gap between the seat tube and the seat stay bridge? Isn't that the concern people have with running a 65mm shock stroke - that these will smash together? @Piccirilli is this the 11mm gap you're talking about?
View attachment 118217
I think what he is getting at is : changing the mino link increases the gap between bridge and seattube when the suspension is at full extension - ie not compressed at all, but when the suspension is fully compressed, the rocker link is in a more vertical angle, so the minolink changing position doesnt move the seatstay bridge away from the seattube by as much as you might think. I havent measured whether it makes no difference at all though.

MikeP

Oct 31, 2022
West Berkshire
I think what he is getting at is : changing the mino link increases the gap between bridge and seattube when the suspension is at full extension - ie not compressed at all, but when the suspension is fully compressed, the rocker link is in a more vertical angle, so the minolink changing position doesnt move the seatstay bridge away from the seattube by as much as you might think. I havent measured whether it makes no difference at all though.
I see what you mean. Suppose it depends on what the mino-link changes - looking at it I assume it effectively makes the seat stay a bit longer, but if the effect is to make the rocker link longer then I can see why that wouldn't change the gap at full compression...

Piccirilli

Jan 17, 2023
Asheville, NC
Yes, the 11mm gap I am referring to, is the distance from seat stay to the rear triangle brace with all air removed and shock fully compressed. On my medium frame I measured no difference with mino link in either position. See for yourself. However, I'm not convinced at this point I will gain anything noticeable by adding 2.5mm or even 5mm stroke. No who has done this here, has reported significant shock improvement. IMHO the issue is more mid stroke support on these air shocks. Rather than risking breaking something with this ancedotal mod, I plan to add more positive tokens and play with varying air pressures to improve performance. If that doesn't do much, then I'll look into coil suspension.

Swingset

Sep 9, 2022
Southern Cal
I ran the stock Fox Float rear at 65mm and liked it. I am running the Fox Factory Float X with no travel spacers (I think its 62.5mm) and really like it.

MikeP

Oct 31, 2022
West Berkshire
I'm really interested to try a coil on mine (size L). Aside from the best choice of stroke, I'm wondering if others on this thread have thoughts on picking a suitable unit?

I'm leaning towards getting a basic model, rather than blowing a ton of cash to find out if I like it with a coil. There are some units on eBay (new, but 2021 models I think) which are <£200 and come with a 400lb spring, which seems about right for me. Anyone got any views on the following:
- Fox Van RC Performance
- RS Super Deluxe Coil Select
Are these basically fine, but without latest dampers (i.e. like lower end forks) or in some way a bad choice for an EXe? Do I need to replace the stock (presumably linear) spring with a progressive?

Thanks in advance for any tips.

jabar1975

Feb 16, 2023
Zurich
Whatever you buy you have to experiment with coil rate. I am on Ohlins platform what works amazing and it was noticeable from the very first minute on the bike (without setting up all adjustments) two negatives of coil - weight and linear characteristic. I ended up with CC progressive spring (400-488) as purchased based on web calculators 388 was too soft in second phase of travel, and used 456 was too stiff in first half of movement.

Piccirilli

Jan 17, 2023
Asheville, NC
I'm really interested to try a coil on mine (size L). Aside from the best choice of stroke, I'm wondering if others on this thread have thoughts on picking a suitable unit?

I'm leaning towards getting a basic model, rather than blowing a ton of cash to find out if I like it with a coil. There are some units on eBay (new, but 2021 models I think) which are <£200 and come with a 400lb spring, which seems about right for me. Anyone got any views on the following:
- Fox Van RC Performance
- RS Super Deluxe Coil Select
Are these basically fine, but without latest dampers (i.e. like lower end forks) or in some way a bad choice for an EXe? Do I need to replace the stock (presumably linear) spring with a progressive?

Thanks in advance for any tips.
I am in the same boat. However rather than getting a mediocre coil shock I may regret later, I plan to get a Cane Creek Kitsuma Coil with their progressive spring. It's rated one of the best coil shocks on the market and the locals here swear by it. CC also sells direct and often run sales 25% off or more. If you can wait, this would be a great solid option.

Piccirilli

Jan 17, 2023
Asheville, NC
Just an FYI. I was having multiple issues with the RockShox Super Deluxe Select+ RT on my 9.8. Like some here who gave up on their air shock or went with a better shock, which I was about to do, I gave it one last ditch effort and added some volume tokens. Surprisingly, this simple and cheap mod resolved both my issues of small bump compliance, and bottoming out on easy jumps. With the volume tokens installed, I dropped the air pressure for 35-40% sag, giving it better small bump sensitivity. The tokens improved the tendency to bottom out, clearly not going so deep in travel. It's unexpectedly weird that this smaller range of shock travel compared to the stock setup, performs exponentially better. You may want to give this a try before investing in a new shock.

Gd3fit

Dec 1, 2022
Raleigh, NC
I have a 9.7 with the Float x in the rear. Can the 2.5mm spacer be removed while the Shock is still on the bike? Like twist the aircan off and down and remove the spacer? Does the Stock Float X come with any volume reducers pre-installed?

Finally does any oil or grease need to be added after removing the 2.5mm spacer? I'm reading size medium probably cannot handle removing 5mm in total spacers. Thanks!

Swingset

Sep 9, 2022
Southern Cal
I removed two sets of 2.5 spacers on mine (L) to go to 65mm travel. I had the shock out of the bike though. Takes a few minutes. One thing to confirm is that you will most likely need shorter screws. With 2.5mm you may be okay. No other mods to lubricants needed.

Gd3fit

Dec 1, 2022
Raleigh, NC
I removed two sets of 2.5 spacers on mine (L) to go to 65mm travel. I had the shock out of the bike though. Takes a few minutes. One thing to confirm is that you will most likely need shorter screws. With 2.5mm you may be okay. No other mods to lubricants needed.
Thank you. I only plan to remove one 2.5mm as I saw someone mentioned (maybe on FB group) that their Medium got dinged on the frame at 65mm stroke. Only reason I mentioned about leaving the shock and not removing it is I don't want my rear shock to develop play as it's been solid without the issues of the bolt sizing and knocking...

Swingset

Sep 9, 2022
Southern Cal
This kit, oddly, seems to have cured my issues. Requires less clamping force at the lower mount. 8 x 40 version. (stock is 8 x 39.8)

Gd3fit

Dec 1, 2022
Raleigh, NC
This kit, oddly, seems to have cured my issues. Requires less clamping force at the lower mount. 8 x 40 version. (stock is 8 x 39.8)

Thanks I've seen this floating around the megathread. I may purchase this, just to have it on hand in case lower shock mount play does occur. I just need one kit for the lower, correct? Appreciate your replies.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles