Fuel EXe Fuel EXe Suspension Modifications/Questions

Canyon Shawn

Feb 4, 2023
Lake Sherwood, California
If anyone is interested, I will have a brand new 2024 Fox Factory Float X2 for sale. It is brand new, never been on my bike. Fox is sending it to me as a warranty replacement for a 2022 model. Stillwell Performance is doing the warranty replacement and will stroke it to either 205 x 60, or 205 x 62.5, your choice. The 2024 is supposed to be really smooth and really reliable. Stillwell says it is their favorite air shock, next to probably the EXT stuff. I am only selling because I already have a Rockshox coil and a Marzocchi Bomber air shock. I want minimal adjustment on my stuff.

$400.00. I should have the shock in my hands in less than 2 weeks.
I paid $200 for mine. It’s a great shock.

Dave_B

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
I still can’t get full travel.
30% sag. No tokens.
The guy I bought the shock off said it was from a Trek EXe.

IMG_5600.jpeg

Canyon Shawn

Feb 4, 2023
30% sag. No tokens.
Whats your riding style? For me, I’m not jumping or hitting drops. But, I am blasting down chunky downhills as fast as I can. I use about 90% of the travel on a typical ride and I’m ok with that. The last 10% is for the rare, oh shit moment. For the most part you shouldn’t worry about how much travel you use. Worry about how it feels. I have mine to the point where I almost feel nothing beneath me and the amount of speed through the rough I can carry is ridiculous. I made my last minor adjustment this weekend. And, that’s where I’ll leave it.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
30% sag. No tokens.

View attachment 134812
I presume the suspension will compress all the way if you remove the shock? ie there isnt some other issue preventing full travel. WIll the shock compress all the way to bottom out if you let the air out of it? ie just check there isnt some weird fault with the shock.

And I presume you are riding trails that should make use of all the travel (i know, I know, but I have to ask)?

I struggle to get full travel out of mine, but I get a lot closer to full travel than you do - I get maybe 3mm-5mm (on the shock shaft) from bottom out, which is fine for me, saving the last bit of travel for when I run out of skill

Canyon Shawn

Feb 4, 2023
Speaking of suspension. Planet Cyclery is having 50% off Fox Factory suspension and droppers. Thats a big savings. I don’t know if the new Float X2 is on sale there. But, I’m telling you guys, it cannot be beat on an EXe.

Emailsucks98

Nov 12, 2020
Bellingham Wa
@Dave_B have you tried letting all the air out of the shock and compressing the suspension? That might tell you if there’s something amiss with the shock itself. I suspect there is if you’re running 18mm of sag (30%)

Cell4soul

E*POWAH Master
Jul 11, 2022
Mesa, AZ
I paid $200 for mine. It’s a great shock.
You got a really good deal. Congratulations. Hopefully that is a 2024, not an earlier model. My 2022 rode like shit. I’ve heard the 2023’s weren’t any better. When I brought shock Into Stillwell for warranty, they had piles of warrantied X2’s sitting on their shelf. They said every year prior to 2024 was garbage. The shock would work great for a bit, but eventually ride like shit. You ought to let us know where you found that deal on a 2024 so others may benefit as well. Thanks again for your input.

Last edited:

Canyon Shawn

Feb 4, 2023
You got a really good deal. Congratulations. Hopefully that is a 2024, not an earlier model. My 2022 rode like shit. I’ve heard the 2023’s weren’t any better. When I brought shock Into Stillwell for warranty, they had piles of warrantied X2’s sitting on their shelf. They said every year prior to 2024 was garbage. The shock would work great for a bit, but eventually ride like shit. You ought to let us know where you found that deal on a 2024 so others may benefit as well. Thanks again for your input.
Yeah, it’s a 2024. I have over 1,000 miles on it with no problems so far.

Dave_B

Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
IMG_5629.jpeg
IMG_5628.jpeg
This is as far as it will compress with no air in it. And also the tune code. It has no tokens in it.

Last edited:

Dave_B

Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
The bike feels great, even over really rough chunky stuff (think Peak District long loose boulder ridden trails). I feel as though I should be using full travel on the trails I ride. Maybe I’m just a none sendy light weight 😂

Emailsucks98

Nov 12, 2020
Bellingham Wa
View attachment 134870 View attachment 134871 This is as far as it will compress with no air in it. And also the tune code. It has no tokens in it.
@Dave_B thats not too bad but I would guess you have some excess fluid in the air can that’s preventing that last bit of travel. If you’re inclined I would look into removing the travel spacer to see if you can get 62.5 or 65mm stroke. You’ll want to make sure the reservoir doesn’t hit the Downtube at full compression (check with no air)

@Canyon Shawn damper service intervals are 125hrs (fox) and 200hrs (RS). At 750 miles I’d think you’d be past that. On my Ohlins, I put off service too long and they had to completely replace the internals. That was 9 months of riding 2-3x/week.

Canyon Shawn

Feb 4, 2023
@Dave_B thats not too bad but I would guess you have some excess fluid in the air can that’s preventing that last bit of travel. If you’re inclined I would look into removing the travel spacer to see if you can get 62.5 or 65mm stroke. You’ll want to make sure the reservoir doesn’t hit the Downtube at full compression (check with no air)

@Canyon Shawn damper service intervals are 125hrs (fox) and 200hrs (RS). At 750 miles I’d think you’d be past that. On my Ohlins, I put off service too long and they had to completely replace the internals. That was 9 months of riding 2-3x/week.
It’s completely normal not to get that last 2 to 3mm of shock stroke.

I clean and lube my suspension and dropper after every ride. The OEM shock had about 1,700 miles on it. When I opened it, it was very clean inside. Same with my fork. That had about 2,000 miles on it when my guy opened it to install the coil kit. He said it was very clean. So, I’m not worried about it yet. Proper maintenance can greatly extend service intervals. And, 750 miles would be 75 hours for me. My typical rides are 25 miles out and back with 2,500’ of climbing and 10.1 mph average. Top speed is usually just over 40 mph. My last couple rides have been about the same, only on gravel roads. Because I broke five ribs. So I have to take it easy right now.

Last edited:

Fd3chris

Oct 22, 2023
United Kingdom
hi guys i have a 9.5 that im slowly upgrading and i have come at last to the rear shock. i have a choice of either a RS Ult coil with hbo or a fully rebuilt X2 . i would prefer to keep the weight down as much as possible and do prefer a more poppy bike , do you think this would lead more to the X2 or is the coil that much better? thanks for any help

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
hi guys i have a 9.5 that im slowly upgrading and i have come at last to the rear shock. i have a choice of either a RS Ult coil with hbo or a fully rebuilt X2 . i would prefer to keep the weight down as much as possible and do prefer a more poppy bike , do you think this would lead more to the X2 or is the coil that much better? thanks for any help
out of those 2 , go with the x2, then you can tune the air spring with volume spacer to get a more/less poppy feel

Cell4soul

E*POWAH Master
Jul 11, 2022
Mesa, AZ
What year is the X2? Prior to 2024, there were issues with the shock. I just sent my X2 back to Fox and they sent me a brand new 2024.

Emailsucks98

Nov 12, 2020
Bellingham Wa
My typical rides are 25 miles out and back with 2,500’ of climbing and 10.1 mph average.
Yeah, we have very different use cases. Most rides we do hit 2500' within in the first 10 miles. My fave winter loop is 2k' in 6 miles. Plus wetter conditions etc. Finding I need to service rear suspension every 6 months.

My Fuel was down for 3 months in the fall due to blown shocks & wheels, etc. It's just the nature of eBikes, you can outrun the service cycles really fast. I came to the conclusion I either need multiple bikes, or a lot of spare parts.

Good luck with the ribs!

Cell4soul

E*POWAH Master
Jul 11, 2022
Mesa, AZ
Looking for some advice on my X2. I am not going through all of my travel per the photo below. Based on the photo, should I remove a volume spacer or leave it alone? Any other recommendations? The shock is feeling good otherwise, but I would like to use all of the available travel. I appreciate any advice.

C14BE523-A0ED-4B72-9F6F-C7C30FF417E5.jpeg

Canyon Shawn

Feb 4, 2023
Looking for some advice on my X2. I am not going through all of my travel per the photo below. Based on the photo, should I remove a volume spacer or leave it alone? Any other recommendations? The shock is feeling good otherwise, but I would like to use all of the available travel. I appreciate any advice.

View attachment 135245
If it’s a 60 mm stroke shock, like the OEM shock, that’s very close to full travel. Mine is a 62.5 mm stroke and the rubber ring is just below the word Kashima on the gold shock tube at full bottom out. Plus, you’ll never get the advertised 60 mm of stroke anyway. If the shock feels good and you’re sag is set at 30%, I wouldn’t worry about that last couple of millimeters of travel.

Decolocsta

Aug 10, 2022
Germany
Hey Guys, question:

I need to change the Shock in my Ex-e.
My Shock of choice is the Super Deluxe Ultimate.

Stock the Ex-e comes with a Progressive Aircan.

It seems that rockshox sells the Shock only with the Linear Aircan.

Will this mess up my rear suspension ?

Whats your thoughts on this?

Thank you upfront

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Hey Guys, question:

I need to change the Shock in my Ex-e.
My Shock of choice is the Super Deluxe Ultimate.

Stock the Ex-e comes with a Progressive Aircan.

It seems that rockshox sells the Shock only with the Linear Aircan.

Will this mess up my rear suspension ?

Whats your thoughts on this?

Thank you upfront
I've tried both the linear and progressive aircans on the super deluxe ultimate on the fuel exe. In my opinion the linear aircan is too linear for the frame and bottoms out too easily, if you put enough air pressure in it to stop it bottoming out then the small bump sensitivity suffers too much.

If you're upgrading from one of the other deluxe/super deluxe shock that come with the exe from the factory then just take the progressive aircan off that shock and fit it to the super deluxe ultimate, that's what I did when upgraded from the stock deluxe select+ that comes on the 9.5 to a super deluxe ultimate

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles