Fuel EXe Fuel exe reliability

ifu03558

Mar 11, 2019
Glasgow
Hi all I'm in the market for a lightweight ebike after getting a refund on my Heckler SL (numerous failures in first month of ownership). I'm looking at the Fuel EXE, are there issues with this or is it a reliable motor?

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
It seems to be a pretty reliable motor, but as with all e mtbs , reliable is a relative term.

I'd say there are the following known "issues", not sure I'd call them common, but they crop up

1. The controller/display seems to have a weakness where moisture can get in around the button and the button stops working, so you cant turn the bike on. A common way of preventing this seems to be putting some gorilla tape (or similar) over the button to make it more water tight. I did this on mine from new and havent had this issue, and I ride the bike in all weathers
2. Some people complain of the motor making a grinding noise at lower power, TQ say this can be a characteristic of the motor (there was a big thread on here about it in the early days of the bike) and is normal, it does not indicate a problem, but people have had replacement motors for this issue. Some motors seem noisier than others.
3. Some motors seem to overheat more than others when going up long inclines, and reduce the level of assist as a result. I've never seen this with mine, not sure whether this is due to heavier people, sub optimal gear choice or just a fault with the motor.
4. The handlebar remote control buttons can fail with use - the little microswitch fails. The fix is a new remote.

I had a new motor on mine after a couple of months, with mine the crank arms just disconnected from the motor mechanism, such that the crank arms could just spin freely in either direction, ie the pedalling would provide no drive at all. TQ supplied anew motor under warranty, the replacement motor has been fine for over a year now, and I havent seen anyone else complaining on the internet about the same issue.

The good thing is that Trek/TQ seem to be on top of the process for getting any warranty sorted quickly.

I reckon on the whole its as a reliable motor system as say the bosch cx gen4 which I think most people would say is the most reliable of the full fat motors - I also have a bike with this motor system, and have had a motor replaced under warranty on that too.

Last edited:

Cell4soul

E*POWAH Master
Jul 11, 2022
Mesa, AZ
1,600 miles. My remote controller for the motor had to be replaced. That has been my only issue to date. The bike has been otherwise flawless. Motor is still quiet. Everything is as advertised. I would never buy anything with the Ride 60 motor. If I were you, I’d give it a few months to see who builds a bike with the new Bosch SX motor. It will have a maximum output of 600 wh.

Last edited:

ifu03558

Mar 11, 2019
Glasgow
Thanks, sounds like decent motor, only concern is it seems a bit thirsty and down on power compared to the Fazua that I had. Some good deals around on the Exe though.

Dave_B

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
I ‘think’ I have the grinding noise issue.

It happens reasonably infrequently, but it does happen on every ride.

It’s almost like when you are pedalling at speed and trying to catch up with the gear you are in. I feel as though I’m pedalling too quickly with no assistance and the grinding noise is happening, but when the motor gear catches up with itself, everything instantly goes back to normal.

A poor description maybe, but the best way I can describe it.

The grinding lasts no longer than maybe a second or 2. It is not really loud.

ifu03558

Mar 11, 2019
Glasgow
What's the range like in the middle power setting? Just really the climbing distance as most of my rides are up a steep fire road (400m) and bombing down an enduros trail which I do with the power off. On the Fazua I could get 1200m in the highest assistance and around 1500m in the middle setting.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
What's the range like in the middle power setting? Just really the climbing distance as most of my rides are up a steep fire road (400m) and bombing down an enduros trail which I do with the power off. On the Fazua I could get 1200m in the highest assistance and around 1500m in the middle setting.
It varies so much depending on the steepness of the hill, your speed, your weight etc, so its really hard to give any numbers that you can compare directly with your fazua numbers, the only way to know for sure for your circumstance would be to try one, But I get between 900m-1000m usually.

These guys say they typically got between 1000m and 1300m climbing out of it in mid mode (info approx two thirds of the way down)

Depending on the terrain, most of our rides on the Trek Fuel EXe have typically racked up 1,000-1,300m of elevation gain over a distance of 30-38km. We’ve mostly utilised the Mid power setting, which strikes a nice balance for general trail riding.

Last edited:

Dave_B

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
all my rides are with the range extender

I have had (and I use a mix of eco, mid and full assist)
19.5 miles, 2,200ft with 50% battery left (starting with 150% with range extender)
17.1 miles, 3000ft with about 12% battery left

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
heres the results of flow mtb range tests - note they used the max power setting, but their test scenario sounds quite similar to yours.

To see how the Fuel EXe’s efficiency compares directly to some of the other e-MTBs we’ve reviewed, we subjected it to our standardised range test. This involves the same rider pedalling up a road climb with a 10% average grade, with the motor set to its most powerful setting, before bombing back down a singletrack descent. The idea is to see how much elevation, and how many laps each bike can rack up on a single charge, while keeping the variables as constant as possible.
  • Norco Sight VLT (Shimano EP8, 900Wh Battery) – 2,478m climbing (12.8 runs)
  • Rocky Mountain Altitude Powerplay (Dyname 4.0, 720Wh Battery) – 2,108m climbing (10.9 runs)
  • Cube Stereo Hybrid 160 (Bosch Gen 4, 625Wh Battery) – 1,800m climbing (9.3 runs)
  • Canyon Spectral:ON (Shimano EP8, 630Wh Battery) – 1,570m climbing (8 runs)
  • Orbea Rise (Shimano EP8-RS, 360Wh Battery) – 1,388m climbing (7.2 runs)
  • Specialized Levo SL (SL 1.1, 320Wh Battery) – 1,377m climbing (7.1 runs)
  • Trek Fuel EXe (TQ-HPR50, 360Wh Battery) – 1,312m climbing (6.8 runs)
  • Specialized Kenevo SL (SL 1.1, 320Wh Battery) – 1,053m climbing (5.5 runs)

Last edited:

Cell4soul

E*POWAH Master
Jul 11, 2022
Mesa, AZ
You will get better range and more power with the Fazua. There are tests on line. It Is my understanding the Rise is still the most powerful and best range with the 540 wh battery. Great deals on those as well. Fazua has too many issues, and that is the same across all the bikes that use it.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles