Fuel EXe Switching off assist on Fuel exe(Firmware?)

ChrisDT

May 10, 2023
Colorado
Hi -

Seriously considering the Fuel EXe 9.5 - more bike than I need for my proficiency but since when has that stopped a logical purchasing decision?

I went to the local Trek store yesterday to test ride it. One thing that was 'odd' was that once you go into any level of assist, you couldn't go back to zero assist, without actually turning the bike off. The Trek rep told me that this is a known issue and "should be fixed in an upcoming firmware update".

Now, one of the draws for me to the Exe was precisely that it isn't full powered and relatively light, so that I could peddle without assist to build on my fitness and strength. Not being able to go easily from assist to no assist and back again is a bit of deal killer for my use case.

I'm reluctant to spend the $ in the event this is never (or cannot be) addressed via a firmware update. I've also seen some other threads where people have mentioned increase drag in no assist (apparently due to a clutch not disengaging), so I'm wondering if these issues are related and may be more than a software fix.

Does anybody know if Trek has confirmed that this inability to switch off assist is in an upcoming firmware update?

Thanks

Cell4soul

E*POWAH Master
Jul 11, 2022
Mesa, AZ
Hi -

Seriously considering the Fuel EXe 9.5 - more bike than I need for my proficiency but since when has that stopped a logical purchasing decision?

I went to the local Trek store yesterday to test ride it. One thing that was 'odd' was that once you go into any level of assist, you couldn't go back to zero assist, without actually turning the bike off. The Trek rep told me that this is a known issue and "should be fixed in an upcoming firmware update".

Now, one of the draws for me to the Exe was precisely that it isn't full powered and relatively light, so that I could peddle without assist to build on my fitness and strength. Not being able to go easily from assist to no assist and back again is a bit of deal killer for my use case.

I'm reluctant to spend the $ in the event this is never (or cannot be) addressed via a firmware update. I've also seen some other threads where people have mentioned increase drag in no assist (apparently due to a clutch not disengaging), so I'm wondering if these issues are related and may be more than a software fix.

Does anybody know if Trek has confirmed that this inability to switch off assist is in an upcoming firmware update?

Thanks

Press and hold the assist level button down for about 5 seconds and it will go to "zero" assist level.

ChrisDT

May 10, 2023
Colorado
Press and hold the assist level button down for about 5 seconds and it will go to "zero" assist level.

Wow, thanks for this. I got the whole speech from the Trek guy saying how he was a beta tester, gave this feedback to Trek and it was still going to be addressed. I dunno, maybe that's all true and it was an issue that was fixed and he didn't know, or, he just never knew about how to turn it off.

Overkillit

Aug 23, 2022
Downingtown
Can anyone confirm that there will be zero drag when set to zero assist? I feel like my Levo has drag and therefore thought all ebikes have drag when not assisted. It rolls great without drag but it feels like there is drag in the cranks when peddling for sure.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles