Decathlon Stilus upgrades

Timmoh

May 18, 2020
Wales
I'm waiting for the postman to bring a V4 rebuild kit this morning, I have a rear caliper with one seized & two chipped pistons. All in about £30 which is entirely reasonable imo. They're on my trail bike, I've kept the guides on the Stilus as I've found them ok after setting up & they did need setting up from the factory.

The issue for me & I know others had the same was excessive lever throw. The cure was to remove the wheel, advance the pistons & bleed or top up as necessary & that gave the short lever throw I wanted from them.
Fully agree with the advancement of the pads as per Avid instructions (se original Stilus forum/thread, I put it on there).
I hated the throw but this sorted it and I love 'em now.
I threw in a pair of Uberbike pads just to see how they performed (and save a few quid!), and I love them too. They work great and I feel, for me anyway, offer a really good feel that allows good modulation but also do the business when hitting them hard. I always use brake cleaner after every wash/silicon spray and have never had a problem.

Drsooty

Jul 10, 2020
Lancashire
I've dented my rear rim, beyond repair, for tubeless anyway.

Any recommendations on a new rear wheel? If I do a significant upgrade is it best to change the front wheel too?

Starting to feel like an expensive mistake. :LOL::oops:

Lordy71

Jul 29, 2020
lancashire
Think i need to be on commission for Hope, but the Hope fortus wheels are pretty good and once again you can get parts for them, i have cracked my original rear wheel in 3 places but it still seals up as tubeless once the sealant as filled the air line cracks. I am going to replace rear wheel as I cannot justify having to pay £160 for a S ram cassette when i can get a shimano deore for £60. Or can anybody source a shimano free hub for the sunringle wheel? Front wheel is up to you and how much you want to spend, but not essential.

Joe bloggs

Feb 19, 2021
Uk
Lockdown upgrades
Hope fortus 30 29ers
Lyrik ulitimate160mm forks
Rockshox super deluxe ultimate rear shock
Hope crank arms and pedals
DMR brendog death grips
SDG duster saddle
20210219_111542.jpg

jupiter

Aug 22, 2020
South Coast, UK
Front and rear pannier racks very successfully fitted. The rear one is a little low for normal size rear panniers without further rack modifications. 30cm front panniers will happily fit on the back. These racks are solid, no mucking about. Looking forward to some touring in a few months time.

0B849877-0A5B-4413-89A5-7A05699F6451.jpeg

9CC788E8-146D-4573-98A5-A9F1F0CBB22D.jpeg

2019E4E0-9D91-4060-BB47-1B1C9E2FD937.jpeg

Ken

May 30, 2020
Northumberland
Hi Jupiter, puts me in mind of Jupiter's Travels. Great looking racks but I particularly like the rear mudguard.
Any chance you might post the suppliers and makes?
I have fitted a much longer front mudguard and even extended it to keep the crap of the battery cover and motor.
See you have retained the Smart Sams, in case you were wondering they convert to tubeless even though the wording on the sidewall states Tube Type.

jupiter

Aug 22, 2020
South Coast, UK
Hi Jupiter, puts me in mind of Jupiter's Travels. Great looking racks but I particularly like the rear mudguard.
Any chance you might post the suppliers and makes?
I have fitted a much longer front mudguard and even extended it to keep the crap of the battery cover and motor.
See you have retained the Smart Sams, in case you were wondering they convert to tubeless even though the wording on the sidewall states Tube Type.
The mudguards are all mudhuggers. “All” because there are three. The rear two are particularly successful with the rack. The front needs extending.

The rear is a standard rear mudhugger with an additional front mudhugger fitted back to front. Pre~rack the join was lovely so you’ll be ok. Post-rack the join is a little clunky but it works.

Do you have any recommendations for a mud flap I could fit to the end of the front, or for a longer front please?

Ken

May 30, 2020
Northumberland
Pic of my Stilus on page 1 of this Upgrades forum. Front mudguard is an RRP Proguard plus a diy extension at the bottom end. Rear is a large Mudhugger plus diy extension. Also a diy shield for the rear shock. Have an obsession with protecting the bike from the abrasion of sand mud and water. If you are interested fitted a diy bash plate pictured somewhere else on the site. If I was techy enough I could give the links.
After bottoming out on rocks I can't tolerate the harsh impact on the existing bash plate which would shatter sooner or later. Also fitted rubber cushions to the crank ends to minimise shock to the motor bearings due to pedal strikes. Currently experimenting with a shield to protect the chain from collecting mud from mud loaded tyres. Your back to back Mudhuggers on the rear is brilliant and could lead to a solution with chain protection. Also wondered what you are planning for battery recharge on your touring adventures. Presumably overnights in premises with 240v sockets. Now onto the Mudhugger site..............

Ken

May 30, 2020
Northumberland
The mudguards are all mudhuggers. “All” because there are three. The rear two are particularly successful with the rack. The front needs extending.

The rear is a standard rear mudhugger with an additional front mudhugger fitted back to front. Pre~rack the join was lovely so you’ll be ok. Post-rack the join is a little clunky but it works.

Do you have any recommendations for a mud flap I could fit to the end of the front, or for a longer front please?
Hi Jupiter, been on the Mudhugger site and would greatly appreciate your advice. Is the attached Short Front Mudguard the one you fitted? Many thanks.
Also noticed that the front of the front Mudhuggers now seem to include a droop nose which I added diy with duct tape and a piece of inner tube months ago.

jupiter

Aug 22, 2020
South Coast, UK
Hi Jupiter, been on the Mudhugger site and would greatly appreciate your advice. Is the attached Short Front Mudguard the one you fitted? Many thanks.
Also noticed that the front of the front Mudhuggers now seem to include a droop nose which I added diy with duct tape and a piece of inner tube months ago.
Yes I’m 99% sure that’s the one. TBH the idea came from the LBS when I asked about the problem, who got the short front off the shelf and showed me what to do - so I didn’t select the short front, it was handed to me. I’m sure it’s that one.

Ken

May 30, 2020
Northumberland
Yes I’m 99% sure that’s the one. TBH the idea came from the LBS when I asked about the problem, who got the short front off the shelf and showed me what to do - so I didn’t select the short front, it was handed to me. I’m sure it’s that one.
Thanks Jupiter.

Pierroleca

Feb 8, 2021
France
[QUOTE = "chamaruco, message: 272433, membre: 14438"]
Salut les gars, je m'approche de ce vélo ... puis-je monter une roue 29 sur la fourche d'origine?
[/CITATION]
No, it's impossible with the 35 gold.

KevORourke

Dec 2, 2020
Oldham
1ADCB203-EAC6-4D76-826D-6FB8D7A7BCA0.jpeg
4AB21AF9-291F-4FE1-8F14-EC282434D8D9.jpeg

Upgrades on mine:
Renthal Fatbars 40mm rise.
Ergon seat.
2nd set of wheels off a Cube Stereo 160 team
Speed grip Nobby Nics on one set and Hans Dampf soft on the other (originally had E-Wilds but didn’t get on with rolling resistance).
Been through a couple of sets of pedals and grips.
2nd 500w battery and Evoc E-Ride pack to carry it for big days out.
Broke the original dropper replaced with a factory transfer.
Purchased in July 20 done just shy of 2k miles.
Love it ??

Jammybastard

Apr 12, 2021
Devon
I’m jealous of you all that bought 1 already at a mer £2700 I hear now that when they land on our shores again it’s gonna be £3700 ???????

992AE2D1-A4B9-403B-92DA-34F8CEDB946C.jpeg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles