Decathlon Stilus upgrades

Tallguy888

Aug 4, 2020
Salisbury
Hi All

As a Stilus owner I thought it maybe fun to start an upgrade page, for us to show our bikes if we have added or changed any parts from the original spec, I will add my pics once the rain stops but I’d love to see any upgraded Decathlon Stilus bikes.

Ken

May 30, 2020
Northumberland
Hi All

As a Stilus owner I thought it maybe fun to start an upgrade page, for us to show our bikes if we have added or changed any parts from the original spec, I will add my pics once the rain stops but I’d love to see any upgraded Decathlon Stilus bikes.
Hello Tallguy, any excuse to gush about the Stilus. Had mine since April and done 1500 trouble free miles mainly off road.
From the pic you can see what I have modified/added.
Bosch 85NM done, comfortable grips, bar ends to relieve the wrists on 5 hour rides, stem extender raises the bar for the most comfortable ride ever on a bike. Aldi Lithium battery lights, Satmap navigator on bars, bar bag, top tube bag, seat bag, Decathlon map case, mudguards front and back extended, additional diy rear shock mud guard, rear shock sleeve protector. KMC E12 chain which is rotated with the original Sram Eagle and ultrasonic cleaned in between alternate rides and lubed with Scott motorbike chain lube. Tubeless Michelin E Wild on back and Nobby Nic on front 2.6. Bash plate of to clear out accumulated mud under the motor and Silicone sealed motor electrical connections while exposed. Also Siliconed the cable entries into the frame. Next job is a DIY polypropene shield on rubber mounts to keep the crud away from the motor and additional take the impact out of rock hits on the bash plate. Saddle changed, nearly forgot, got an Italian ladies name-very pleasing. In the saddle a 79 year old mtbker with previous in windsurfing, kayaking, skiing and motorcycle trail riding with time on his hands...
Now what next.........

IMG_5521.JPG

Ken

May 30, 2020
Northumberland
Hello Tallguy, any excuse to gush about the Stilus. Had mine since April and done 1500 trouble free miles mainly off road.
From the pic you can see what I have modified/added.
Bosch 85NM done, comfortable grips, bar ends to relieve the wrists on 5 hour rides, stem extender raises the bar for the most comfortable ride ever on a bike. Aldi Lithium battery lights, Satmap navigator on bars, bar bag, top tube bag, seat bag, Decathlon map case, mudguards front and back extended, additional diy rear shock mud guard, rear shock sleeve protector. KMC E12 chain which is rotated with the original Sram Eagle and ultrasonic cleaned in between alternate rides and lubed with Scott motorbike chain lube. Tubeless Michelin E Wild on back and Nobby Nic on front 2.6. Bash plate of to clear out accumulated mud under the motor and Silicone sealed motor electrical connections while exposed. Also Siliconed the cable entries into the frame. Next job is a DIY polypropene shield on rubber mounts to keep the crud away from the motor and additional take the impact out of rock hits on the bash plate. Saddle changed, nearly forgot, got an Italian ladies name-very pleasing. In the saddle a 79 year old mtbker with previous in windsurfing, kayaking, skiing and motorcycle trail riding with time on his hands...
Now what next.........

View attachment 47689
Forgot the Bottle rack and Pump.

Tallguy888

Aug 4, 2020
Salisbury
So unfortunately I missed the good weather to get any pictures, however so far I’ve added or changed the below.
Hope E-crank arms
ZEB select forks 2021
GX rear derailleur
New Saddle
Brand-x dropper post
Race face stem and bars
Death grips
FOX dhx2 rear air shock
E-wild tyres front and rear
Hope seatpost clamp
Boost spider with new chainring
Race face pedals
Hope tech E4 brakes
Sunrace Mz90 cassette
Hope floating rotors

I think that’s it ?

Lordy71

Jul 29, 2020
lancashire
Wow that is a nice upgrade list...
Hi

Done around 1200 miles on my Stilus all off road mud sweat and gears, upgrade list or broken parts list take your pick.

Hope e 4 brakes
Shimano deore derailleur
Ladies MTB seat of wife's old bike( it is well comfy)
Eddy currents Tubeless lasted 1000 miles still got loads of life left( a bit hard on the rocks)
Deity grips
Pedal upgrade
Forks fully serviced straight after purchase, as they were super stiff and sticking, ok now not the best forks in the world but stiff enough.
Head bearings fell to pieces(replaced at 700 miles)
Motor upgrade to 85 nm.
20201220_192901.jpg
20201220_192912.jpg
20201220_192937.jpg
and shifter.

RustyMTB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 22, 2020
UK
I like the old Bianchi behind that electric - what were you thinking buying one of them old Stilus cluinking doohickeys. ?

Last edited:

Lordy71

Jul 29, 2020
lancashire
I like the old Bianchi behind that electric - what were you thinking buying one of them old Stilus cluinking doohickeys. ?
Old Bianchi is 20 years old now and retired to zwift, frame has gone baggy around the head set, i have tried keeping it alive but it has been a struggle over last couple of years. Oops going off subject will be banned from forum talking non E bikes.

Ken

May 30, 2020
Northumberland
Hello Tallguy, that gives Rob a run for his money!! If that spec was available for the price we paid for the Stilus then no argument but as you see from my list of mods I am of the old wartime make do and mend school. An Engineer does for a penny what costs others a pound. I get enormous satisfaction from the sheer value for money of the Stilus. Still if I had the cash..............

Tallguy888

Aug 4, 2020
Salisbury
Hello Tallguy, that gives Rob a run for his money!! If that spec was available for the price we paid for the Stilus then no argument but as you see from my list of mods I am of the old wartime make do and mend school. An Engineer does for a penny what costs others a pound. I get enormous satisfaction from the sheer value for money of the Stilus. Still if I had the cash..............
Hi Ken

I probably shouldn’t have spent what I did but I knew I would’ve ?

Ken

May 30, 2020
Northumberland
Hi

Done around 1200 miles on my Stilus all off road mud sweat and gears, upgrade list or broken parts list take your pick.

Hope e 4 brakes
Shimano deore derailleur
Eddy currents Tubeless lasted 1000 miles still got loads of life left( a bit hard on the rocks)
Deity grips
Pedal upgrade
Forks fully serviced straight after purchase, as they were super stiff and sticking, ok now not the best forks in the world but stiff enough.
Motor upgrade to 85 nm.
View attachment 47704 View attachment 47705 View attachment 47706 and shifter.
Hi Lordy
Hi

Hope e 4 brakes
Shimano deore derailleur
Deity grips
Pedal upgrade
Motor upgrade to 85 nm.
Those Eddy current tyres look very tasty indeed and I like the chainstay protection

Lordy71

Jul 29, 2020
lancashire
Hi Lordy

Those Eddy current tyres look very tasty indeed and I like the chainstay protection
They are a very hard wearing tyre and well up to the abuse of E bike with extra weight and bigger hits, PSI does make a big difference if I run at 22 psi they seem to bounce off everything, running below 20 psi they are great, I go down to 15 psi if running in mud on moors but run the chance of rock strikes through to rim. Cracked rear rim already but re taped and it has stayed up so far.. Magic Mary does offer more grip overall but they would be like slicks with current mileage. I reckon about 500 miles out of a magic Mary on rear.

Ken

May 30, 2020
Northumberland
They are a very hard wearing tyre and well up to the abuse of E bike with extra weight and bigger hits, PSI does make a big difference if I run at 22 psi they seem to bounce off everything, running below 20 psi they are great, I go down to 15 psi if running in mud on moors but run the chance of rock strikes through to rim. Cracked rear rim already but re taped and it has stayed up so far.. Magic Mary does offer more grip overall but they would be like slicks with current mileage. I reckon about 500 miles out of a magic Mary on rear.

Hi Lordy (same surname as me if you drop the y) yes I find the pressure around 20psi is rather critical. At 70kgs (me) they do feel bouncy and 15psi seems about right while riding but the thumb and finger test always prompts me to add more air. I must get the nerve to do a full ride on 15psi. Read a really interesting suggestion that hard pressure consumes more energy lifting the bike over stones/bumps than a low pressure which absorbs the bumps in the tyre. I suspect the Smart Sams will stay in the garage until the dry hot summer days of 2021.......

samohtr

Jul 24, 2020
St Albans
20201224_095123.jpg

Just some basic stuff to mine with Santa bringing some new bits.

Ergon SM-EMTB Saddle
E-Wilds
Mudhugger rear medium - brilliant bit of kit

Pedals and grips next on the list, maybe a crud front mud guard.

Timmoh

May 18, 2020
Wales
Hi @Tallguy888 Am I right that you have replaced the bolts for the cable routing ports on the head tube? If yes, then what type of bolts did you use? I tried the hack with a piece of a rubber hose to prevent the cables from the damage from the original bolts used for the cable ports, but I think that replacing the bolts is just a better solution.
Try these. Available from ebay-worked for me after doing the rubber hose thing first.
M3 x 5mm CAP HEAD ALLEN BOLTS CAP SOCKET SCREWS A2 STAINLESS STEEL - DIN 912.

Timmoh

May 18, 2020
Wales
Just a heads up re new parts and shiny bits.
Last week I ordered a set of bars that were only available from a German bike shop. I know Brexit happening, there was always a chance things could go wrong (seeing other reports of EU retailers stopping delivery to UK), but I took the chance as nothing about that on their website.
Today, email arrived saying DHL have returned the item back to them stating Brexit issues. I assume extra taxes/costs are the issue but at least shop emailed me straightaway and asked how I wanted to proceed-wait or otherwise. I have asked for a full refund (I don't want to pay postage costs as they should have Checked the DHL status on this).
The bars were Ergotec 50/35 780 (12 deg backsweep) type and only available from them/abroad. I need these due to previously broken hand/thumb position comfort. The price was 55 quid all in and appeared good construction with abuse ratings. Any other ideas out there about available options in UK that does not up/double this price?
Brexit, I suppose I had 4 years to get them and it's my fault ?, but would appreciate any help locating same/similar bars.

Timmoh

May 18, 2020
Wales
Just an update on the bars I mentioned above. The bikeshop in Germany was brilliant and contacted me immediately DHL had sorted themselves out.
The Bars;
They are great. Sorted for quality, backsweep and rise-needed due to hand issues and now perfect 50 rise and 12 deg back. I know the 50 bit is proper riser but Emtbs suit them for loads of types of riding. The upsweep is also tunable to a point due to the increased backsweep.
55 quid Inc postage is a bargain for zero pain and long adventure rides. The Ergon GE1 pros add even more ange adjustment also.
Added some pics and only planning to play around with the stack height when I've had chance to properly hammer a bit to go along with all the other riding so far.
It is also worth noting that I've never been truly happy with the brake lever mounting being outboard from the gear shifter (just slightly out for comfort of one or the other). Now, due to better and more natural hand and wrist position/sweep, I have swapped their positions and they are spot on for me (unexpected bonus).
Ergotec only do 35mm clamp in 780mm with 12 deg backsweep so choice is pretty much zero, but it looks like they have done their homework. Emtb specific graded.

IMG_20210119_155719.jpg

IMG_20210119_144727.jpg

IMG_20210119_144437.jpg

IMG_20210119_155429.jpg

IMG_20210119_155856~2.jpg

IMG_20210119_155259.jpg

IMG_20210119_155219.jpg

Drsooty

Jul 10, 2020
Lancashire
Hi

Hope e 4 brakes
Shimano deore derailleur
Deity grips
Pedal upgrade
Motor upgrade to 85 nm.
The forks on my Stilus have recently gone very stiff too, after 6 months. Not a euphemism unfortunately!

Did you take them back for a free warranty service? Or get done privately?

Lordy71

Jul 29, 2020
lancashire
The forks on my Stilus have recently gone very stiff too, after 6 months. Not a euphemism unfortunately!

Did you take them back for a free warranty service? Or get done privately?
I had my forks fully serviced after 200 miles has they went stiff at LBS, they did get better, but see attached picture of right stanchion , this happened over a 2 week period and fork now has a flat spot. i have sent to decathlon regarding a warranty claim awaiting a response. Done 12:50 miles 20210119_200243_002.jpg
20210119_200243_002.jpg

Lordy71

Jul 29, 2020
lancashire
So unfortunately I missed the good weather to get any pictures, however so far I’ve added or changed the below.
Hope E-crank arms
ZEB select forks 2021
GX rear derailleur
New Saddle
Brand-x dropper post
Race face stem and bars
Death grips
FOX dhx2 rear air shock
E-wild tyres front and rear
Hope seatpost clamp
Boost spider with new chainring
Race face pedals
Hope tech E4 brakes
Sunrace Mz90 cassette
Hope floating rotors

I think that’s it ?
Hi

What travel fork did you fit? I am considering 170-180 travel 29 er options but worried it might be to much.

Drsooty

Jul 10, 2020
Lancashire
I had my forks fully serviced after 200 miles has they went stiff at LBS, they did get better, but see attached picture of right stanchion , this happened over a 2 week period and fork now has a flat spot. i have sent to decathlon regarding a warranty claim awaiting a response. Done 12:50 miles View attachment 50606 View attachment 50606
Thanks for sharing.

I will likely have to do the same. Don't like the idea of being without the bike/forks for any period of time though. I may invest in new forks before I send them back for repair!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles