Kenevo Gen1 Official 2020 Kenevo Owners Thread

Stompweaver

Jan 20, 2018
Stafford
@cozzy I am equally a bit of blunt instrument when it comes to suspension and have done exactly the same as you on loads of occasions! To have such a noticeable difference from the old shock is great, money well spent then. :) I agree that if it feels good then leave it alone and don't mess. It would very easy to make it worse by fiddling too much. The tune from Sprung must be very good then if you only needed a couple of clicks on the adjusters to get it perfect. Looking forward to getting my Ohlins even more now.

I can see the logic behind the chamfered mounting hardware and it probably works well on a normal bike. As you say ours are particularly hard on rear shocks so changing back to the original hardware will stop the shock bush getting pushed out of the eyelet.

Could I ask how you find the progressive spring? I have looked at the 600lb MRP one and the initial spring rate is 575 which is a touch soft for me. I am thinking of getting for my new shock but I am worried that I'll end up with too much sag and the shock sat down into it's stroke too much. The end spring rate is 725 which seems a lot over 600 and it might be too high and result in harshness further into the travel. I don't know, I am an overthinker so it would probably be perfect if I did buy it!

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Hampshire UK
@Stompweaver At between 92 -95kg the stock rs 550 gave me a nice sag of 30% but did suffer hard bottom outs. This is with minimal preload.
The MRP 550 progressive obviously gives me 30% sag still but eliminates the hard bottom outs. That's not to say it doesn't bottom, just less frequently and much less harsh.
I really think progressive springs are a requirement for these bikes. Shame they are so pricey. Money well spent though.

Last edited:

Tbar

Aug 18, 2019
Germany
Is anybody out there running a Manitou Mezzer Expert on the Kenevo? Is it a downgrade from the Boxxer?

i was eagerly waiting to pull the trigger on a Kenevo SL but was pretty disappointed after the big reveal (35nm, carbon-only, price…), so I’m thinking of a few upgrades for my Kenevo to make it a bit more switchback-friendly and tide me over till next year.

For the people running air shocks, did you preemptively upgrade in fear of the stock shock going pop or did you just let nature take its course?

Knusp. Ente

Apr 20, 2021
Germany
Mullet every time, love mine, Wouldn't got back to a small front wheel or buy any bike that wasnt a mullet these days. Dropped to 180mm so the axle to crown is about 580mm, only 10mm higher than the stock setup.
EDIT although I am talking about the boxxer with 29 lowers & an rc2.1 damper upgrade rather than fox stuff. Offset I think is 56mm.

Did not go for the mullet, but new Fox 40 Performance Elite :)

Fox II.jpg

Fox.jpg

Waverid

Apr 26, 2021
California, USA
Hi All - Has anyone considered one of these range extenders? Levo/ Kenevo 252wh Stealth System

I went on a 30 mile ride yesterday with a little over 5100' of climbing and had to cut my ride shorter than expected because of range anxiety. Another 252wh would have been perfect. For those in the bay area I rode from the boarder or Larkspur/Kentfield to Muir beach (Coastal down and Diaz up). I would have liked to come down all of Eldridge but had to skip it :(

I emailed Graham at TrailWatts and he said they are available for the Kenevo (or other bikes listed on the site), build to order, for 650gbp. Unfortunately the shipping is 199gbp. The good news is the 199gbp covers up to 3 units. I'm not 100% sure I'm going to go this direction but is anyone in the Bay Area, CA interested in going in together? I'm in Marin. I may be able to ask Graham for a discount if we order 3 too seeing the price on his site is 599gbp each.

Does anyone have another better option?

By the way I'm a few weeks in on the Kenevo Expert S3 (with RS Super Deluxe Select+) and I love it. I thought I was going want to change the shock immediately and it is pretty darn good. I'm sure it could be better but at the moment the only upgrades are: Revive 185 post, Code RSC brakes, and deathgrips. I am almost 5'9" and ~155lbs. This bike is insanely fun.

-Aaron

Tbar

Aug 18, 2019
Germany
Am I correct in thinking that the 2020 Fox X2 fits an S4 Kenevo fine without any rubbing but the 2021 X2 requires a bit of frame filing?

Tbar

Aug 18, 2019
Germany
Can somebody confirm whether the bushings needed to fit a 2020 Fox X2 to a 2020 Kenevo Expert (replacing Super Deluxe Coil) are M8 x 22mm?

Dpickin1

Oct 2, 2019
Israel
I blew up my hub today on the stock wheels, I guess being a fat bastard and trying to tow my friend on his acoustic bike was more than it could take. The hub went on a solo climb through slow single track.

In any event, I replaced the wheel with a Hope pro 4 Fortus 35. I was supposed to get the 30 mm which is stronger but got the 35 instead due to a mistake by the mechanic. Does anyone have any experience with this wheel? First impressions are that it looks well built as are most Hope products, however, there is a significant difference in rim profile between the Roval and the Hope.

ebikerider

Oct 1, 2019
Australia
I blew up my hub today on the stock wheels, I guess being a fat bastard and trying to tow my friend on his acoustic bike was more than it could take. The hub went on a solo climb through slow single track.

In any event, I replaced the wheel with a Hope pro 4 Fortus 35. I was supposed to get the 30 mm which is stronger but got the 35 instead due to a mistake by the mechanic. Does anyone have any experience with this wheel? First impressions are that it looks well built as are most Hope products, however, there is a significant difference in rim profile between the Roval and the Hope.
The Hope hub is pretty much bombproof but I have heard the Fortus rims can be a little soft. I guess if you wreck this one at least you'll have a strong hub to go with your next wheel build (I'd go DT Swiss EX511). What size tyre and casing are you going to use and have you considered an insert like cushcore?

Dpickin1

Oct 2, 2019
Israel
The Hope hub is pretty much bombproof but I have heard the Fortus rims can be a little soft. I guess if you wreck this one at least you'll have a strong hub to go with your next wheel build (I'd go DT Swiss EX511). What size tyre and casing are you going to use and have you considered an insert like cushcore?

I have yet to try a rim insert but not because I am opposed to it by any means, I am just terrified of tryin to fit a tire on after the insert.

I always run Schwalbe super gravity casing tires front and rear. Right now I am on a Big Betty SG 2.6 and a Magic Mary 2.6 SG in the front. Rear tire I run at 30psi and the front at 28 weiging over 120kgs I have found this just right.

Frirish

Aug 19, 2020
Carlow, Ireland
Should i buy a new Kenevo or is the situation with rear shock failures so bad that I should go gen 3 Levo?
The Kenevo now come with an Air Shock, so the situation is resolved.
Mine came with the coil, it blowned like most people ... took 9 weeks to receive the air shock, no problems since

Arguably, the geometry of the Gen 3 Levo is more appealing than the Kenevo, but still the Kenevo excellent !!!

beutelfuchs

Aug 11, 2019
Barcelona
Wanna through it down rough stuff where you sometimes wonder after how you even stayed on the pedals -> Kenevo.
Going in the air at every chance, tight corners, manuals, jumps, pop -> Levo.
The bikes have quite some overlap in what they can do, also given the possible geo adjustment and sizing options.
I still got both, just to be sure :)

beutelfuchs

Aug 11, 2019
Barcelona
Could you please listen to my motor?

In addition to the normal engine noise, an overlapping, somewhat deeper noise is heard periodically for a few seconds at a time.
You can hear it especially well at
- second 37..39
- and again from second 41 to 46

Can anyone classify this? Harmless or panic?
My Carbon-Levo does not have this.
Thanks!

Rosemount

E*POWAH Elite
May 23, 2020
Qld Australia

In addition to the normal engine noise, an overlapping, somewhat deeper noise is heard periodically for a few seconds at a time.
- second 37..39

Thanks!

Something is wrong take it back .

beutelfuchs

Aug 11, 2019
Barcelona

- second 37..39

Thanks!
@Specialized Rider Care could you have a look please? In August I'm taking it on a bike trip without LBS access so I want to minimize chances having a motor issue there. Thanks!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles