Kenevo Gen1 Official 2020 Kenevo Owners Thread

#lazy

E*POWAH BOSS
Oct 1, 2019
Surrey
Had that happen to me to , needed drilling out ! Mine creaks when pedalling and was told the motor bushes might be the culprit !

allank

Apr 18, 2019
denmark
max pressure on rear shock ?
Hi there, I have finally got my new 2020 expert with airshock. have still my 2019 expert with coil - and my first impression after only one ride on the 2020 is - noisier, dont feel as strong as old one in turbo? - but it defenitly feels more steady downhill
It feels like it will jump easyer and a little longer, but I am not sure if this is due to the Butcher tires lower rolling ressistance than what I am used to - Magic Mary front and Eddie Current back (my absolute favorite combo)

But - my question is - what is max pressure for rear shock ? my weight is 105 kg and I have put 230 psi in - but it is still not enough - it bottoms out on jumps. I have 160 in the forks and looks OK

what are you guys running in pressure ?

sp00n

Jul 11, 2021
Germany
max pressure on rear shock ?
Hi there, I have finally got my new 2020 expert with airshock. have still my 2019 expert with coil - and my first impression after only one ride on the 2020 is - noisier, dont feel as strong as old one in turbo? - but it defenitly feels more steady downhill
It feels like it will jump easyer and a little longer, but I am not sure if this is due to the Butcher tires lower rolling ressistance than what I am used to - Magic Mary front and Eddie Current back (my absolute favorite combo)

But - my question is - what is max pressure for rear shock ? my weight is 105 kg and I have put 230 psi in - but it is still not enough - it bottoms out on jumps. I have 160 in the forks and looks OK

what are you guys running in pressure ?
Which shock do you have on the Expert?
I have a 2021 Comp and it came with the Fox DPX2 Performance, and despite the Fox manual stating that you should start with your weight in pounds as the PSI value, I have to go way, way higher.
I weigh just 60kg, so around 132lbs, and if I take into account the extra ~8kg from the bike, this would put me to around 150lbs. But I have to put in around 250 PSI to not bottom out, instead of the recommended 150 as a "starting" value.

I even contacted Specialized about that, and asking what heavier riders than me would have to do and if it was even possible, mentioning that the bike is specified up to 300lbs rider weight (136kg), but they said everything is fine and told me to ask Fox itself for any further infos. Haven't done that so far though.

sp00n

Jul 11, 2021
Germany
It would make sense, but I don't think they do. As far as I know no manufacturer does out of the box.

For what it's worth, this is the tune for the shock according to the short ID info page:

2021, FLOAT DPX2, P-S, A, 3pos, Evol LCR, Specialized, Kenevo, 230, 62.5, 0.6 Spacer, CCF002, RLA018, Rezi M2+ L M+, Standard Logo, N/M

0.6 in³ spacer(apparently the largest one the shock can handle for this length, according to this)
CCF002Compression Shimstack
RLA018Rebound Shimstack
M2+ L M+the 3 presets: Medium 2+, Light, Medium+

allank

Apr 18, 2019
denmark
Which shock do you have on the Expert?
I have a 2021 Comp and it came with the Fox DPX2 Performance, and despite the Fox manual stating that you should start with your weight in pounds as the PSI value, I have to go way, way higher.
I weigh just 60kg, so around 132lbs, and if I take into account the extra ~8kg from the bike, this would put me to around 150lbs. But I have to put in around 250 PSI to not bottom out, instead of the recommended 150 as a "starting" value.

I even contacted Specialized about that, and asking what heavier riders than me would have to do and if it was even possible, mentioning that the bike is specified up to 300lbs rider weight (136kg), but they said everything is fine and told me to ask Fox itself for any further infos. Haven't done that so far though.

the shock is a Rockshox Super Deluxe Select Plus , i just tested with 250 now, and close to bottoming but still acceptable, however I did not jump fully through:) - and sag is around 30% - so OK I think

sp00n

Jul 11, 2021
Germany
the shock is a Rockshox Super Deluxe Select Plus , i just tested with 250 now, and close to bottoming but still acceptable, however I did not jump fully through:) - and sag is around 30% - so OK I think
Ah ok. For you the "weight in lbs = pressure in PSI" seems to hold up then, as 105kg + 8kg extra weight is around 250 lbs.

sp00n

Jul 11, 2021
Germany
Hm. So after having to put in so much pressure into the Fox Float DPX2, I've now installed a DVO Topaz on my Kenevo, and I also need to put quite a bit more pressure into it then what is recommended in the manual. :unsure:

I checked my weight with riding gear, which is around 64kg, so with the additional 8kg from the bike I end up around 72kg.
The DVO Topaz setup guide would put me to around 165 psi. I had to put in 195 psi. And 5 spacers in the positive air chamber. And am still using every mm on my test track.

The Kenevo's leverage ratio seems to greatly differ from what the shock manufacturers seemed to have had in mind when they put together their pressure recommendations.
Does anyone else have to put way more pressure into their shocks than what the manual for their shock says?
I also wonder if a more linear coil shock would actually work so well in the Kenevo, when I have to put in so many spacers into the air shock and increase the pressure so much. And originally they did sell the Kenevo with coil shocks.

Rosemount

E*POWAH Elite
May 23, 2020
Qld Australia
I finally gave up and brought it to the shop. As when re-tourquing the motor bolts one of them snapped.
Be really carefully all whenever you do that, these bolts are raw eggs. I just a bit of grease on the threads before torquing which must have lead to a slight over torque.
So not the best day in terms of DIY bike mainteance and if I catched the creak (or lets say: one of them) I will only see when I get it back.

The bolts and coloured spacers are a one time use part .
I read a Spesh rider care guy say a new kit is supplied when they exchange motors and should only be used once . Too bad if you want to change the dropper post cable .

sp00n

Jul 11, 2021
Germany
The bolts and coloured spacers are a one time use part .
I read a Spesh rider care guy say a new kit is supplied when they exchange motors and should only be used once . Too bad if you want to change the dropper post cable .
You don't necessarily need to remove the motor when replacing the dropper post cable. It's a total PITA and you don't want to do it, but it's possible.

beutelfuchs

Aug 11, 2019
Barcelona
The Kenevo's leverage ratio seems to greatly differ from what the shock manufacturers seemed to have had in mind when they put together their pressure recommendations.
My totally uneducated guess: The Ken is just not made to work well with air. After Spez figured that all the cheap coils will break, the air was the only choice left maybe saving them from reimbursing 100% of the bikes rather then maybe the 20% of people who will actually notice the issue with the air. I also wonder if the Ken is still being produced and if anyone heavier would confirm the above or not. (Please share your FOX IDs printed on the shock for easy comparison.)
I hope for you and other owners that I am wrong and that there is another easy explanation we just couldn´t see.
Otherwise in your shoes I would probably swallow the pill and buy the Oelins coil which I´m runnin for more than a year now w/o issues (100Kg+Bike) and after breaking 3x Fox/RS coils before that one.

sp00n

Jul 11, 2021
Germany
A linkage that's designed for coil shocks would need to be progressive due to the linear characteristics of coil springs. This would normally in turn reduce the need to put spacers into air shocks, as the progressiveness is already achieved by the linkage design itself, since there's (almost) no way to make coil springs more progressive, in contrary to air springs.

And the Kenevo does seem to have this progressive curve, if you can believe the Linkage Design blog, which I'm pretty confident in (they do a lot of pretty good bike analysis):
https://linkagedesign.blogspot.com/2020/07/specialized-kenevo-2020.html

I've also asked DVO and they (Ronnie) even promptly answered (the last time I had to wait for days)!
Ronnie Dilan <[email protected]> said:
The S bikes usually require a stack up on VA spacers. In our experience your body weight is optimal for achieving the best feel on that bike with minimal damper tuning. Most riders on that bike are a lot heavier than you and require a custom tune on the mid valve to gain extra support on the compression stroke. Don’t be shy with the psi on your main chamber, but do not try to over compensate with the bladder psi. 190-200 psi is good for your body weight.
So it seems I'm in the right ballpark with the pressure I'm using, and that the Kenevo simply requires more than other bikes.

allank

Apr 18, 2019
denmark
Ratling noise from behind ?
I think my 2020 expert has way more rattle noise than my 2019 expert, any one else noticed this ? its pretty annoying - thought it was rearwhell not tightened - casette etc, but nothing is loose - its when i ride fast through roots. someone said it could be cables inside frame at the rear ?
any help is appreciated :)
Allan

Mtb247

Apr 12, 2020
Ratling noise from behind ?
I think my 2020 expert has way more rattle noise than my 2019 expert, any one else noticed this ? its pretty annoying - thought it was rearwhell not tightened - casette etc, but nothing is loose - its when i ride fast through roots. someone said it could be cables inside frame at the rear ?
any help is appreciated :)
Allan
Make sure your battery bolt is tight. That happened to me today.

Geo Alber

May 4, 2020
Northern California
Anyone try to use a Chris King Dropset Headset with the Kenevo..jf so which one. I cannot get the stock one to stop creaking.. (at least I think it is the headset not the fork).

JJ503

Feb 24, 2021
Portland, OR
Anyone experience a dull knocking/rattling from their motor? I have a brand new 2021 Kenevo that makes this noise over trail chatter. Is this normal? This is exactly why I didn’t consider a Shimano motor. The shop I bought the bike from is downplaying it and not sure what to do.

Christox

Aug 12, 2020
Freiburg/ Germany
Hi !

My Kenevo gen1s 3xDrive S alloy had no rattle over 2 years.
Now my Ken gen2 and Lev gen3 both have a hearable plastic sound gear rattle from the Drive S-mag at highspeed impacts.
I think they are caused by pedalkickbacks which are rotating the motorgear rearwards. You can hear the same rattle when starting to roll the bike rearwards suddenly.

Greets,

Chris

JJ503

Feb 24, 2021
Portland, OR
Hi !

Now my Ken gen2 and Lev gen3 both have a hearable plastic sound gear rattle from the Drive S-mag at highspeed impacts.
I think they are caused by pedalkickbacks which are rotating the motorgear rearwards. You can hear the same rattle when starting to roll the bike rearwards suddenly.

Greets,

Chris
Thanks! I’ll share this with the shop and see what they say.

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
Hi !

Greets,

Chris
Thinking it sprag clutch

Christox

Aug 12, 2020
Freiburg/ Germany
I think thats not likely. the filigrane sprag bodys of brose have nearly no movement in the bearing seat and are additionally fixed/held down by a spring onto the smooth surface. The shimano/bosch clutch on a teethed surface can rattle more likely. I also have the experience that the brose rattle sounds more like a loose plastic part

EeHoo_

Oct 20, 2021
Finland
Hi all, new to the site. I am riding My21 Kenevo Expert with Rockshox ultimate select plus as original rear shock, which I am not satisfied with.

I've noticed quite many here have put Fox X2 with 65mm stroke that gives 188mm travel. I understood MY20 Fox fits directly but MY21 not but requires some frame modifications?

I wonder has anyone put Rockshox Select ultimate with 65mm stroke instead, does it fit? Select ultimate is as tunable as Fox X2 but can be fitted with megneg to have better mid range support. Plus it helps if it fits directly...

Alexbn921

Sep 27, 2021
East Bay CA
I just put an 2021 X2 on an S5 expert and it clears but just barely. I used the stock fox bushing and sanded down the spacers. It would be easy to offset it and get more clearance if needed. There should be zero difference in the air cans between 2020 and 2021, which is the closest part.

I cut out the 2.5mm spacer on the stock super delux and tested clearance of the rear, there is plenty of room. Zero problems with 65mm stroke.

Stock shock needs extra spacers badly. Megneg would be a great upgrade if you are using all of the travel now. Ultimate + Megneg < X2. I just got the X2 as I feel its a better overall package and the cost was about the same.

Still considering changing out the Boxxer damper, but don't want the charger 2.1 and I feel like the next Charger 3 will be a ifp design like fox. Plus the stock damper is pretty good for a budget setup.

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Hampshire UK
I noticed my RS coil had a crack in it last April. As lead times were months back then I replaced it with a canecreek kitsuma coil with the intent of getting the superdelux repaired, so I could use it on another bike, or warrantied so I had a spare.
Well I sold the other bike & had it rattling around in my van since then as I kept meaning to drop it into berkshire bikes for them to warranty it for me. I never got round to this so posted it to them 5 days ago & my replacement RS air shock arrived today :)
Excellent service from both berkshire bikes & sram uk.
Bit odd the sram documentation stated "replaced as goodwill as item is out of warranty" as I thought it had 2 years and was under this time. Regardless its all sorted now & hopefully this will be more reliable than the coil shock, but im not holding my breath. Never had an airshock last more than 8 months or so before leaking or cavitating.
EDIT crikey they need some psi. 300 or so for 30% sag at 100kg.

IMG_20211027_124022__01.jpg

Cseven

May 25, 2021
Seattle
Quick intro since I am new to the site. Been riding MTB since 1988 (yes I am old) and have owned multiple Levo's and both versions of the Kenevo.

Current setup is getting pretty dialed now. Build is a 2020 Kenevo frame, upgraded 700wHr battery, 2020 Lyrik Select fork (temporary to test 29 wheels), Fox X2 Factory rear shock, Roval 29 Carbon wheels (temporary for testing), Renthal cockpit, PNW Bachelor post, WTB Silverado saddle, Saint brakes, CushCore front and rear, full AXS XX1 drivetrain.

Planning on building a new custom wheelset now that I am now that I am sure about the 29 wheels. I have done a lot of experimentation so happy to answer any questions on the multiple iterations I have gone through. View attachment 36788

View attachment 36789
Quick intro since I am new to the site. Been riding MTB since 1988 (yes I am old) and have owned multiple Levo's and both versions of the Kenevo.

Current setup is getting pretty dialed now. Build is a 2020 Kenevo frame, upgraded 700wHr battery, 2020 Lyrik Select fork (temporary to test 29 wheels), Fox X2 Factory rear shock, Roval 29 Carbon wheels (temporary for testing), Renthal cockpit, PNW Bachelor post, WTB Silverado saddle, Saint brakes, CushCore front and rear, full AXS XX1 drivetrain.

Planning on building a new custom wheelset now that I am now that I am sure about the 29 wheels. I have done a lot of experimentation so happy to answer any questions on the multiple iterations I have gone through. View attachment 36788

View attachment 36789
Hey, your post says you’re running 29er front and rear? If so what if any struggle did you have to make the rear fit? Thanks!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles