Kenevo Gen1 Official 2020 Kenevo Owners Thread

whiterabbit

Aug 17, 2020
USA
I always used online documentation of the hub and rim to determine that. If I had a built wheel, I'd probably pull one spoke and just measure it. Normally if I care about spoke length it's because I have a hub and rim I bought separate and I need to make it work.

Here's a dumb question I can't find an answer on Google for. Anyone ever weigh the BARE FRAME of the 2020 Kenevo? Ideally with battery(either one, none is OK too) and motor, but beggars can't be choosers. Even better if s4, but I'm just asking too much now.

I'd love to know how this frame weight compares to non-electric bike frames. Not a ballpark, the exact 2020-generation Kenevo frame. The bike is ballpark 15-20 lb heavier. I'm curious how much of that weight is borne by the frame/motor/battery and how much is borne by the spec that has to be selected to handle the weight.

Wanna know that without taking mine apart to the bare frame.

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
I always used online documentation of the hub and rim to determine that. If I had a built wheel, I'd probably pull one spoke and just measure it. Normally if I care about spoke length it's because I have a hub and rim I bought separate and I need to make it work.

Here's a dumb question I can't find an answer on Google for. Anyone ever weigh the BARE FRAME of the 2020 Kenevo? Ideally with battery(either one, none is OK too) and motor, but beggars can't be choosers. Even better if s4, but I'm just asking too much now.

I'd love to know how this frame weight compares to non-electric bike frames. Not a ballpark, the exact 2020-generation Kenevo frame. The bike is ballpark 15-20 lb heavier. I'm curious how much of that weight is borne by the frame/motor/battery and how much is borne by the spec that has to be selected to handle the weight.

Wanna know that without taking mine apart to the bare frame.
I can weigh an S3 next week for ya. It’s getting sprayed atm so I will weigh all the bits for ya.

Alexbn921

Sep 27, 2021
East Bay CA
Weighted my S5 Kenevo Expert with Magic mary DH tires, cushcore and 220 front rotor. 24.5kg.
Carbon bars
XTR 4pot brakes
XT 12 speed drivetrain.
Bikeyoke 185mm dropper with wolf tooth leaver

Last edited:

whiterabbit

Aug 17, 2020
USA
my s4 with 740 wH batt, 1400g DH tires F/R, and 220 rotor is 26.5 kg. That's why I'm curious about the frame weight.

Might be academic since no one who buys a Kenevo cares about weight per-se (to a point), but it is interesting nonetheless.

Geo Alber

May 4, 2020
Northern California
Loving the Ohlins Mullet set up. I am really impressed with fork over high speed bumps. .really smooth.

IMG_7848.jpg

Dr Zed

Apr 6, 2022
Manchester
20220406_114835.jpg

Hi everyone! I am new to the forum! Just got back from a night ride at AE Forest! Here is my 2021 Kenevo S5(I had it for almost a year now, what a machine! ;)). 220mm rotor up front, boxxer upped to 200mm travel, set of Maxxis tyres, otherwise stock. I'm just about to swap the horrible command post for oneup dropper!

TastyCalypso

Apr 26, 2022
Sheffield
Just ordered myself an S3. At 5"10 I always find myself between sizes so decided to for the smaller for a change, something a bit more playful. Anything I should know, recommended changes etc?

whiterabbit

Aug 17, 2020
USA
WOOOOW!

My non-e-bike has a frame that weighs 2.877 kg bare. Your Kenevo is 2.7 kg bare! (probably 2.877 kg after you add the linkage bearings in :))

My non-e-bike "can weigh" 30 pounds if I didn't have a boner for DH class tires and coil spring suspension. So it weighs around 31-32 lb.

That means if I used the same parts from my non-e-bike, my Kenevo would weigh roughly 32 pounds, plus the 7.4 lb the motor adds. Plus the 8.5 lb the 740 Wh battery adds. That is 47.9 lb (currently weighs 58 lb!!), or 39.4 lb without the battery!

39.4 is just 3 lb heavier than my non-e-bike weighed before I (for fun) started a mid-price weight weenie project on it.

The fiddly bits would add a bit of weight of course, but can you imagine a full-pedal Kenevo that weighed just under 40 pounds? And I wouldn't even have to pay $12,000 (KSL) to get there!

I didn't realize there was this much potential in the frame. That's amazing.

--------------------------------------

Can you imagine if a smart dude of some sort made an Al structure that bolted to the motor dropouts and gave you a BB mount? You would be able to convert your Kenevo to a full pedal bike and back in an hour's wrenching time and have a one-bike that can do it all. Even though 99% of us wouldn't go there, but still way cool thought. I'd pay $500 for such a thing without a second thought.

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
CB6F9751-7355-4B52-BC0C-0D053B152741.jpeg
WOOOOW!

My non-e-bike has a frame that weighs 2.877 kg bare. Your Kenevo is 2.7 kg bare! (probably 2.877 kg after you add the linkage bearings in :))

My non-e-bike "can weigh" 30 pounds if I didn't have a boner for DH class tires and coil spring suspension. So it weighs around 31-32 lb.

That means if I used the same parts from my non-e-bike, my Kenevo would weigh roughly 32 pounds, plus the 7.4 lb the motor adds. Plus the 8.5 lb the 740 Wh battery adds. That is 47.9 lb (currently weighs 58 lb!!), or 39.4 lb without the battery!

39.4 is just 3 lb heavier than my non-e-bike weighed before I (for fun) started a mid-price weight weenie project on it.

The fiddly bits would add a bit of weight of course, but can you imagine a full-pedal Kenevo that weighed just under 40 pounds? And I wouldn't even have to pay $12,000 (KSL) to get there!

I didn't realize there was this much potential in the frame. That's amazing.

--------------------------------------

Can you imagine if a smart dude of some sort made an Al structure that bolted to the motor dropouts and gave you a BB mount? You would be able to convert your Kenevo to a full pedal bike and back in an hour's wrenching time and have a one-bike that can do it all. Even though 99% of us wouldn't go there, but still way cool thought. I'd pay $500 for such a thing without a second thought.

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
[QUOTE="whiterabbit, post: 390783, member: 11697"
You would be able to convert your Kenevo to a full pedal bike and back in an hour's wrenching time and have a one-bike that can do it all.
[/QUOTE]
I sometimes ride my KSL with the motor off when I am riding with one of my analogue mates. It pedals so nice for an ebike.

Alexbn921

Sep 27, 2021
East Bay CA
I have Zero interest in a SL bike. In fact I want more range. Current power levels are fine, but it's hard to use it all and still do 6000+ feet.

As a side note:
I just installed an Avalanche damper in my Boxxer and it transformed the fork. It's absolutely amazing and I highly recommend it to anyone that wants the best suspension feel available. The stock RC damper is complete and total trash.

Titch

Sep 20, 2021
New Zealand
I blew up my hub today on the stock wheels, I guess being a fat bastard and trying to tow my friend on his acoustic bike was more than it could take. The hub went on a solo climb through slow single track.

In any event, I replaced the wheel with a Hope pro 4 Fortus 35. I was supposed to get the 30 mm which is stronger but got the 35 instead due to a mistake by the mechanic. Does anyone have any experience with this wheel? First impressions are that it looks well built as are most Hope products, however, there is a significant difference in rim profile between the Roval and the Hope.
Hello , though not an expert, but I’m still adding my 10 cents, 35mm internal should be better than the standard 28mm roval rims, especially if running 2.6 and above tyres, but just from what I’ve seen, was quite surprised that they came in 28mm to start with, maybe they had a lot of stock, cheers

Waverid

Apr 26, 2021
California, USA
Just added a Avalanche damper into my boxxer and it completely changed the feel for the better. The stock RC damper is garbage.

Nice! Is it the hybrid damper? I have his custom rear coil built from the marz bomber and it’s awesome. Increased travel to 190mm and the last 10mm is a bump stop. Shock is flawless.

I’ve been thinking a lot about the hybrid damper for the boxxer. How would you describe the differences? Did you install it yourself or have Craig do it?

-Aaron

Alexbn921

Sep 27, 2021
East Bay CA
It's not the hybrid. I don't think adding the spring helps at all with all the stock air seals still in place. Now swapping out the air for coil is better.

I installed it myself. I did pull the top out spring out as it was limiting full extension without the hybrid coil.

Fork went from harsh unsupported and blowing through travel to firm with no harshness and perfect big hit blow off. Rides higher and seems to track way better. Has already saved me from chrashing when the front wheel skidded and regained traction. Old damper would just let go.

My main advice would be to get a softer all mountain tune unless you are a true pro that absolutely smashes and hit big jumps. Creig tunes all the way up to stupid stiff pro only. Most of us are not that.

I got the all mountain tune with 200mm damper which adds a small amount of weight but allows for future 200mm forks.

Waverid

Apr 26, 2021
California, USA
It's not the hybrid. I don't think adding the spring helps at all with all the stock air seals still in place. Now swapping out the air for coil is better.

I installed it myself. I did pull the top out spring out as it was limiting full extension without the hybrid coil.

Fork went from harsh unsupported and blowing through travel to firm with no harshness and perfect big hit blow off. Rides higher and seems to track way better. Has already saved me from chrashing when the front wheel skidded and regained traction. Old damper would just let go.

My main advice would be to get a softer all mountain tune unless you are a true pro that absolutely smashes and hit big jumps. Creig tunes all the way up to stupid stiff pro only. Most of us are not that.

I got the all mountain tune with 200mm damper which adds a small amount of weight but allows for future 200mm forks.
TY. I definitely error on the side of plush. I like to ride fast but no where near pro. How much do you weigh? I was prepared to swap out the fork damper asap but have actually been impressed with it for a mid grade fork. The rear shock that came with the bike was just plain poor. I weigh 155lbs and never ride with a pack. I’m on an S3. What a great bike!

022334F3-DCD0-4918-8DDD-DF32C1764808.jpeg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles