Levo Gen 2 2020 Turbo Levo Owners Thread

SmackIt

Jul 21, 2019
Reno
20190922_130827.jpg
Maybe this is normal, and maybe some people like it, but seems kind of ugly to me.

Also, any part of the bike that's black, including the wheels, doesn't hold up well at all to rock dings. All those white specks are dings, not dust.

20190922_130849.jpg

Last edited:

grantini

E*POWAH Master
May 7, 2019
Delaware
Yes same motor as the 2019 but seems quieter than the 2018 and 2019. It's a Brose motor. Only difference from 2019 is SRAM AXS dropper post and all black frame. Also has all of the 2019 fixes like new motor cover, new linkage, ect...

I have found my 2020 motor MUCH noisier than the 2018....

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Unidirectional Carbon that is used on bike frames will always exhibit this raw layup effect. The only way of hiding it will be to add cosmetic layer to hide it. This could be in the form of a cosmetic carbon top layer or paint. Both of which would add unnecessary weight (and cost).

What bike manufacturers do using this UD layup is create a stiff, lightweight and strong frame. End result is that you are seeing the carbon patches. It’s on all carbon frames that use this same process.

Add laquer on the top and add more weight. Add a cosmetic carbon layer on top and add more weight.

Add paint and add more weight. A painted frame can add approximately 300-400 grams to a frame.
I have never seen any other product made from UD carbon with those sort of patches...some of which look also to be UD 80 whilst others are more like 3k. If those sections of the frame need additional layup for reinforcement sure the "patches" would be layed up first with the UD layer as the top surface. Even if a surface layer patch was added it should be shaped so it does not look like a haphazardly placed sticking plaster!! No way I would pay for a bike that looks like that!

grantini

E*POWAH Master
May 7, 2019
Delaware
My motor makes a LOT of noise, especially when under load in trail or turbo... I'm wondering if it's "too much." My 2018 was absolutely silent. The 2020 is VERY loud. Should I file a warranty claim?

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
You meant something like this? I was sold on a 2020 Expert to replace my 2017, but after a close inspection of the frames I know I cant live with those nasty carbon patches. Both Expert colors are beautiful and maybe we are getting irregular stock from Specialized :unsure:
Does yours looks like these? Is this normal? The black/gunmetal hides the “flaws” much better since it has a gorgeous deep shine, but the Matt black/green was less forgiving.

View attachment 18875 View attachment 18876 View attachment 18877 View attachment 18878
I have had numerous raw CF bikes and have never seen anything like that. Me, even if it was my dream bike and the last one available would just walk away.

HKP57

Jul 7, 2018
Central Scotland
My motor makes a LOT of noise, especially when under load in trail or turbo... I'm wondering if it's "too much." My 2018 was absolutely silent. The 2020 is VERY loud. Should I file a warranty claim?
What you have to remember they lost so much mass off the old motor for the new lighter one also going to magnesium there is way less material to dampen out the vibrations and noise frequency. Smaller and more powerful has to equal a little more noise. Still way quieter than the Bosch

Last edited:

Wuttkea

Aug 17, 2019
Mannheim
Yes, the same here.
I hear noticeable noises in all modes, including eco with very low support. It is particularly loud when I go in high cadence whereas it is not as load when I shift the gear up and go in lower cadence. It is still not as noisy as a Bosch (previous generation) but in the (silent woods) you definitely hear it all the time.
What I find striking: I previously had the Bulls e-stream AM4 which has the exact same motor but which made considerably less noise. So, I am also not sure if the noise level of my bike is normal.
Maybe @Specialized Rider Care knows more? (I could also take a video with the sound of the motor.)

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
View attachment 19000 Maybe this is normal, and maybe some people like it, but seems kind of ugly to me.

Also, any part of the bike that's black, including the wheels, doesn't hold up well at all to rock dings. All those white specks are dings, not dust.

View attachment 19001

Such a nice bike, it's not too late too to put Ride Wrap or Invisiframe on it. Not much you can do about the wheels so don't worry about them and the Kashima coat that's cactus. I love Fox but Kashima on both my Fox 40 & 36 has been decimated

grantini

E*POWAH Master
May 7, 2019
Delaware
What you have to remember they lost so much mass off the old motor for the new lighter one also going to magnesium there is way less material to dampen out the vibrations and noise frequency. Smaller and more powerful has to equal a little more noise. Still way quieter than the Bosch

if the motor is so much lighter, why does the bike seem to weigh exactly what my 18 did? LOL

rsilvers

Dec 2, 2018
US
You changed the tires first thing.

I am wondering about Magic Mary vs Eddy Current. EC has 20% larger knobs with less regard for rolling resistance since, well, it doesn't matter on a speed limited eMTB except for some range decrease.

I see I paid $145 USD for my Maxxis set, and I could have had Eddy Currents from Germany for $111 delivered had I known about them. I guess will try them next time.

How many miles will it take to wear out DHF/DHR2?

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
You changed the tires first thing.

I am wondering about Magic Mary vs Eddy Current. EC has 20% larger knobs with less regard for rolling resistance since, well, it doesn't matter on a speed limited eMTB except for some range decrease.

I see I paid $145 USD for my Maxxis set, and I could have had Eddy Currents from Germany for $111 delivered had I known about them. I guess will try them next time.

How many miles will it take to wear out DHF/DHR2?
I have used DHR2 for a year but wanted to try something a bit different. And I think the MM will be better in the mud (not perfect) but better in the U.K. winter than DHR2 b

SmackIt

Jul 21, 2019
Reno
Rob posts one pic....internet goes wild!
I'd also like to hear more about your Crank bros clipless choice. Flat vs Clipless / Crank bros vs Shimano.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
By the way @Rob Hancill , are those the standard Praxis cranks that come with the expert? Or have you put on shorter?

And I also thought from your vids that you mainly ran flats? Those Crank bros clipless pedals look nice!
Regular 165mm crank arms. I read about using clips online and having used them in the past thought I’d give it a go again. Actually really liking the feel you get being clipped in and how connected to the bike and trails you are.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles