2019 Turbo Levo Owners Thread

TheBikePilot

🎥SHOOTER🎥
Patreon
Author
Oct 9, 2018
Clapham, London
Good to know, if I just get Evans to talk to me that would be great. Cheers

Chris @Berkshire Cycles May be able to help. He will deal with bikes not bought from there for warranty but not sure the state of play with lockdown as he isn’t super super busy.

I’ll loop in @Specialized Rider Care who are active on the forum who also may be able to help you.

Believe me, Spesh want to get you back riding ASAP..They are a great bunch..

Levo-Lon

Jan 21, 2020
Uk
8 months old , faultless so far 750 miles.
Few minor mods ,nothing major yet.

Sun Ringle Duroc 30 wheels Shimano discs and 11speed Shimano cassette
Renthal bars and Continental Race King Protection tyres.
Mini muck protection guard modded from a front guard
I'm a bit ott with servicing but I believe if you look after things they look after you..30 odd yrs motorcycling taught me that.

Bike looks as pretty as she did when I got it in October .
Loving it

20200607_154745.jpg
20200607_154711.jpg

Last edited:
8 months old , faultless so far 750 miles.
Few minor mods ,nothing major yet.

Sun Ringle Duroc 30 wheels Shimano discs and 11speed Shimano cassette
Renthal bars and Continental Race King Protection tyres.
Mini muck protection guard modded from a front guard
I'm a bit off with servicing but I believe if you look after things they look after you..30 odd hrs motorcycling taught me that.

Bike looks as pretty as she did when I got it in October .
Loving it
I'm curious as to why you changed all those things on a relatively new bike?

TheBikePilot

🎥SHOOTER🎥
Patreon
Author
Oct 9, 2018
Clapham, London

Roval wheels do dent easily.

Shimano brakes are way better than the Codes fitted.

Stock Tyres are fairly entry level.

I would have left the cassette til it wore out, maybe he did, but I’ve done the same on mine when it needed changing.

I’d say that’s the best bang for your buck set of upgrades on a stock Levo.. ?

Levo-Lon

Jan 21, 2020
Uk

I always have 2sets of wheels and the Duroc wheels were a total bargain £148 down from £500!! Light ,and come with 2 free hubs so XD or Shimano..these free hubs are £100 each..
Shimano 11speed cassette I already had as well as the discs.
Bars are 20mm rise and look better and stiffer lighter.
Tyres are for fast commute and dry pack riding.

SambaMav

Nov 11, 2019
eMint6auce#
Chris @Berkshire Cycles May be able to help. He will deal with bikes not bought from there for warranty but not sure the state of play with lockdown as he isn’t super super busy.

I’ll loop in @Specialized Rider Care who are active on the forum who also may be able to help you.

Believe me, Spesh want to get you back riding ASAP..They are a great bunch..

Funny enough Berkshire Bikes would have been my local store 3 years ago but I am now up in Scotland. I feel guilty approaching another bike shop but week 3 and no closer I am thinking it might be the only option.....

SambaMav

Nov 11, 2019
eMint6auce#
Funny enough Berkshire Bikes would have been my local store 3 years ago but I am now up in Scotland. I feel guilty approaching another bike shop but week 3 and no closer I am thinking it might be the only option.....

If anyone could help that would be brilliant....

TheBikePilot

🎥SHOOTER🎥
Patreon
Author
Oct 9, 2018
Clapham, London

You can take it to any Specialized Dealer for warranty work. I would obviously just give them a call to confirm.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
You can take it to any Specialized Dealer for warranty work. I would obviously just give them a call to confirm.
.....in normal times! Due to the lockdown many are restricting their limited maintenance capacity to their own customers from what I can see.

TheBikePilot

🎥SHOOTER🎥
Patreon
Author
Oct 9, 2018
Clapham, London

Just got off the Livestream with Chris @Berkshire Cycles he is still definitely doing warranty work for bikes not purchased there.

I spoke to him off-camera about your woes and he said give him a call tomorrow and he will sort you out :).

Tel: 01344 774520

Last edited:

SambaMav

Nov 11, 2019
eMint6auce#
Just got off the Livestream with Chris @Berkshire Cycles he is still definitely doing warranty work for bikes not purchased there.

I spoke to him off-camera about your woes and he said give him a call tomorrow and he will sort you out :).

Tel: 01344 774520

That is amazing, thank you and thank Chris.
Happily, Specialized have got in contact and are approaching my local Specialized dealer ( only 68 miles away :) ) and organizing a replacement battery to be ready and waiting for me when I get to go in. Just waiting to hear the outcome.
Thank you again though!

Happily, Specialized have got in contact and are approaching my local Specialized dealer ( only 68 miles away :) ) and organizing a replacement battery to be ready and waiting for me when I get to go in. Just waiting to hear the outcome.
Thank you again though!
Can I ask how you contacted Specialized? For future reference. Presumably you had registered you bike with them.

SambaMav

Nov 11, 2019
eMint6auce#
Can I ask how you contacted Specialized? For future reference. Presumably you had registered you bike with them.
Hi,
Yep the bike is registered with them.
I sent an email through Ridercare-UK, from the Specialized warranty web page, They responded on 48 hours, which is way better than anyone else at the moment.

Can anyone tell me whether the 2019 Levo FSR has a "boost" front axle or not. I get that it's a 15mm/110 hub but don't understand the length referred to when it's a normal or "boost". When tightening mine the lever interferes with the bottom of the fork leg forcing it outwards so that it only contacts a small part of the slot. The top of that slot is bending and I fear it will fail soon. I'm thinking of getting this to replace it.
Rockshox Unisex's Maxle Ultimate Front MTB 15X110 158mm Length 9mm Thread Pitch M15X1.50 Pike Lyrik B1 Yari Boost Compatible Axle, Multicoloured, One Size

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Yes its boost. You just need to adjust the lever on your axle so that when properly tightened it does not align with the fork leg. Facing towards the crank is best so that it does not catch on passing shrubbery etc.

Yes its boost. You just need to adjust the lever on your axle so that when properly tightened it does not align with the fork leg. Facing towards the crank is best so that it does not catch on passing shrubbery etc.
Thanks for that confirmation. I went and measured the distance between the outer surfaces of the fork legs and it's around 158mm. Yes I do put the lever out of the way after doing up the axle but it's the doing up where it interferes with the fork leg. I think I'll buy a "Stealth" axle where I can just use an Allen key. Cheers.

RCDallas

May 28, 2019
Italy
For future reference, Boost refers to the 110mm hub width vs the previous standard of 100mm spacing of the front wheel and 148mm vs 142mm in the rear.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Thanks for that confirmation. I went and measured the distance between the outer surfaces of the fork legs and it's around 158mm. Yes I do put the lever out of the way after doing up the axle but it's the doing up where it interferes with the fork leg. I think I'll buy a "Stealth" axle where I can just use an Allen key. Cheers.
So which axle do you have? If it is the flip over type with a knotch then it is adjustable for getting a tight fit using a 2.5 mm allen key. The lever does not need to sit in the notch when closed. It is just there to enable the lever to engage the main axle shaft for inserting and removing it. The lever is merely a cam and can be closed in any position. You can buy a stealth but if is a maxle it will not be cheap and provide no benefit.

So which axle do you have? If it is the flip over type with a knotch then it is adjustable for getting a tight fit using a 2.5 mm allen key. The lever does not need to sit in the notch when closed. It is just there to enable the lever to engage the main axle shaft for inserting and removing it. The lever is merely a cam and can be closed in any position. You can buy a stealth but if is a maxle it will not be cheap and provide no benefit.

Yes, I know all that, but you can't adjust where the notch is. So like I've said, when you get to tighten the axle, the lever (in the notch) fouls the fork leg which forces it outwards. So you're only pushing on the outer 2mm or so of the notch. Could be just and only my bike and the way the threads are cut but the axle reaches the right sort of torque when the notch is bang in line with the fork leg.

Last edited:

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Yes, I know all that, but you can't adjust where the notch is. So like I've said, when you get to tighten the axle, the lever (in the notch) fouls the fork leg which forces it outwards. So you're only pushing on the outer 2mm or so of the notch.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Now I am beginning to suspect you have the type of axle with a cam lever but only one notch instead of two opposing notches! My axle (Levo Comp) has 2 notches opposite each other. The downside of the stealth is that if the axle is tightened properly a multi tool out on the trail can struggle to undo it. So if you have the lever type but with only one notch to engage the lever, look for a proper maxle with 2 notches.

KennyB

E*POWAH Master
Aug 25, 2019
Taunton
Correct torque for a front Maxle stealth is 9-13.5 Nm, for the rear axle it is 15Nm. If you can cope with the rear your ok for the front, unless I'm missing something? I can undo either with a Y shaped Allan tool and bare hands, so an opened out multi tool with gloved hands should be ok I reckon.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Correct torque for a front Maxle stealth is 9-13.5 Nm, for the rear axle it is 15Nm. If you can cope with the rear your ok for the front, unless I'm missing something? I can undo either with a Y shaped Allan tool and bare hands, so an opened out multi tool with gloved hands should be ok I reckon.
If it is a decent one!

Now I am beginning to suspect you have the type of axle with a cam lever but only one notch instead of two opposing notches! My axle (Levo Comp) has 2 notches opposite each other. The downside of the stealth is that if the axle is tightened properly a multi tool out on the trail can struggle to undo it. So if you have the lever type but with only one notch to engage the lever, look for a proper maxle with 2 notches.
Mine only has one notch. I have ordered the stealth type now. Depends on what multi tool you have. I carry a Motion Pro Trail tool which I bought ages ago for motorcycle trail riding. Absolute top quality. Motion Pro Trail Tool

SambaMav

Nov 11, 2019
eMint6auce#
Thank you again though!

Another week, so gave Chris a call. What a difference in service and attitude, for a start I could actually speak to someone. I have a couple of options now which involve a 1000 mile round trip but it might just be worth it.

Thank you again for intervening,

TheBikePilot

🎥SHOOTER🎥
Patreon
Author
Oct 9, 2018
Clapham, London
Another week, so gave Chris a call. What a difference in service and attitude, for a start I could actually speak to someone. I have a couple of options now which involve a 1000 mile round trip but it might just be worth it.

Thank you again for intervening,

Ouch that’s quite a drive..!! Where are you in Scotland..?

Glad he was able to help..

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles